Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Matt Chapman cap 580 .40 size

Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 PM
sandyrod
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Matt Chapman cap 580 .40 size

I have attached some pictures. This is a great motor and I have had no overheating or deadsticks to date.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sq47980.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	4.85 MB
ID:	1366859   Click image for larger version

Name:	mh21646.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	4.84 MB
ID:	1366860   Click image for larger version

Name:	bg93029.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	4.86 MB
ID:	1366861   Click image for larger version

Name:	le92754.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	4.83 MB
ID:	1366862   Click image for larger version

Name:	se45888.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	4.85 MB
ID:	1366863  
Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 PM
1130cagle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Started my Great Planes Matt Chapman Eagle 580 ARF. Purchased Saito .82B stock muffler, DS821 Servos for Ailerons, JR 4721 Rudder and Elevator, Hydrimax 4.8V 3600mAh Battery, Radio - DX7 with AR7000 Receiver, Gem 200 Electronic Guardian... This being said, any suggestions, tips and photos appreciated?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:35 AM
sandyrod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Building is pretty straight forward. It only took me a few evenings. You can see the pics of my sons airplane in the previous post. I was dissapointed in the finish, it had quite a few wrinkles and took some effort to get them out. I had to add about 6 ounces of lead to get it to balance correctly. I also had to mount the receiver battery on the side of the motor mount inside of the cowling. I used Hitec hs485hbs with HD Dubro arms and they have plenty of torque. I think the 485's are the best deal going in servos at $16.99. I did upgrade the control horns only because the Dubro 4/40 bolt type only require 1 hole and are easy to install and adjust. The plane is better at precision aerobatics than at 3D and can be a handful to fly. It comes in hot for landings. Watch your throws on the ailerons it does not take much. All that being said my 11 year old son has not had any mishaps in about 20 flights. Please keep me posted on how yours goes together and flies.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:48 AM
emilioeer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HEy o also have the matt chapman eagle 580 havent flown it yet because i have no time i have 16 years and school is killing me, well my setup was a OS 91fx a Futaba 7c radio s217 servos and havent decided yet if using a pitts mufller i think i might use it because if usig the original one i have to make a lot of cut outs in cowl, my question is what rates you used cg adjustemnt an d final weight can you help me with these and you think that the setuo i chose is a good one?????

thanks

Old 03-10-2010, 12:21 PM
thorn247
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have this plane as well, I have a OS55ax with pitts muffler, I have not flown it yet and I don't mind telling you I am nervous! The thing I am unsure of is prop size, I have 11x7 o it now, I ran a few tanks and it seems to pull ok, I also have a 12x4, does anyone have a recomended prop size for this engine? I was also thinkin 12x6. Also I pulled the pilot out and added an oz of weight to the firewall, I believe the pilot weighs around 3oz and is right on the trailing edge of the wing, try throwing it on the ballencer without the canopy, that canopy is really back heavy with the pilot in it, I never checked my all up weight yet ...
Old 03-10-2010, 12:22 PM
thorn247

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here are a few pics of mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41652.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1395299   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42882.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1395300  
Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 PM
thorn247

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These were taken before I ballanced it
Old 03-30-2010, 12:48 AM
sandyrod

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think your setup will be fine. The 91 should have more than enough power. I think you will be better off swinging a larger diameter flatter prop. I balanced mine right abount in the middle of the recommended range. I started a little tail heavy but did not like the way it flew. Let me know how it goes.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:18 AM
baddley
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone had problems with there cowl mounting blocks coming loose or off ? Anyone epoxied supports or braces behind there blocks ?

Any ideas or info is welcome.

THis plane flies great with OS61FX and pitts muffler !

Thanks Scott

Old 02-05-2013, 04:32 AM
StickmanGP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good day,

Awesome work on the realistic cockpit.
I have just bought the Matt Chapman CAP 580 40-60 size.
Please can you let me know how to get the photo cockpit.
I want to make this plane the best build I have ever done, and this will just finish it off nicely.

Thank you
Gary
garyp@supimasa.com
Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 PM
jj1965

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just finished and flew my Cap 580! Decided to try the dual elevator servo setup, works great. I had to move the rudder servo to the rear, and add a few ounces of weight to the front. I powered mine with Tower
75 and 13x6 prop. Fast! It was windy but it flew great I decided to wait for a calm day to get a good feel for this plane. It does land fast]
Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 AM
jj1965

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

calm morning so I decixex
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 AM
jj1965

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

calm morning soI decided to try my flaperon setup it helped slow the landings down some. This plane is very nimble even on low rates. I am a little tail heavy might tune on it more later after the batteries charge.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:54 PM
eugene1e

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have just acquired Matt Chapman cap 580 .40 size it came with a Magnum XLS 46 I think this motor is to small I have a almost new Thunder tiger GP 61 and a new ASP Ringed 61 my ? is which of these engines i should use and where can i get a muffler that exits bottom of the cowl since the cowl has already been trimmed for it

Thanks Mark
Old 12-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Eugene1

I have the same plane & have been flying it for a few years now. The plane comes in a bit on the heavy side so you definitely need the power to fly her well. The .46 is definitely underpowered. I have an OS. Max FSR.91 4-Stroke in the airplane and it is fairly fast at full throttle, but it is still marginal for the size of the motor that it is. I believe that one of the reasons that the plane was discontinued was because of the weight. When they made these airplanes half way around the world they made them a bit on the heavy side. The .91 will fly the plane but at anything less then 2/3 throttle the plane wants to almost fall out of the sky. So I end up flying it around at 2/3rds to 3/4 throttle around the field. It is a nice flying plane however if you have flown any true warbirds (ex. Top Flite P-51 Mustang ) the Cap 580 tends to fly a bit like one due to its weight. Don't get me wrong she is a nice flyer, but if she was about 2 lbs. lighter she would really be a ball of fun. I forget exactly how much she ways I think somewhere in the neighborhood of about 7 -8 pounds. I am running the .91FSR, so there is some weight from the engine, but the plane alone does weigh some. They really just built them a bit heavy. If I were you, I would go with a .60 or .75 2-stroke or the .90 size 4-stroke. You will be glad you did regardless of the weight. As for your engine choice I would go with which ever one seems to be more powerful and definitely the one with a reliable idle. Because of the weight these planes tend to land fairly fast. They seem to pick up some speed as you make your final turn. As you come in it will pick some speed up so make sure you have a long enough runway to stretch it out and bleed off some of the speed. But you will need to be ready to add some power, so for this reason alone I mention the reliable engine idle. You don't want it to stall either and they can if there's no wind and you have managed to slow it down during the final turn. Also you don't want to rip out the wheels cowls coming in too fast Good Luck.

Electriceddie
Old 12-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Eugene1

Yes you should be able to get a Pitts style muffler for that Cap 580. I just don't know any particular brand right this moment. I checked Tower they did not have anything on the web site then I Googled it, and I came up with Jtecrc.com. they had some universal type & Pitts style mufflers for about $45.00 Here is the link

http://www.jtecrc.com/incowlmufflers60-129.htm

Electriceddie
Old 10-20-2019, 04:20 AM
Iron_Piston

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Brand new CAP 580 .46

Hey guys! Attempting to revive this thread after 6 years! I just snagged one of these beauties brand new here in Israel and have a couple of questions. Will an O.S. 75AX fit in the cowl without needing to butcher it more than just a small circle for the glow starter? And will the 75AX be able to handle a 13x5 3-blade Xoar wood prop? Obviously I care more about thrust and scale looks than airspeed. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-20-2019, 04:59 PM
Electriceddie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cap-580 Power - ON

Originally Posted by Iron_Piston View Post
Hey guys! Attempting to revive this thread after 6 years! I just snagged one of these beauties brand new here in Israel and have a couple of questions. Will an O.S. 75AX fit in the cowl without needing to butcher it more than just a small circle for the glow starter? And will the 75AX be able to handle a 13x5 3-blade Xoar wood prop? Obviously I care more about thrust and scale looks than airspeed. Thanks in advance!
Hey Iron Piston,

Read my Post, 2 posts above in regards to the Engine size.

Also you will see that the difference of the weight is marginal compared to the engine power. Even ans OS Max 2-storke .90 is not a bad idea. The 75 AX may fly it about the same as mine with the .90 4-stroke. My cowl is open on the bottom and I am running a Pitts style muffler with the engine inverted as well so it hides everything very well. But the plane is a bit on the heavy side compared to the actual size of the plane in relation to other planes of the same size.. So I recommend staying in the top \end range of the engine power recommendations.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:03 AM
Iron_Piston

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So I'd personally want to side mount it and use a Pitts muffler out the bottom. The measurement from the mounting holes to the cylinder head on the 75AX is 83mm so I don't think I'll have to cut anything other than the glow starter hole. My bigger concern is if it'll happily swing a 3-blade 13x5 prop without issues. If that's possible then all is good