Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick Lite Build Review!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra Stick Lite Build Review!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 09:52 PM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick Lite Build Review!

[b]Ultra Stick Lite Build Review!

First Off Let me say that this is my FIRST Hanger 9 ARF(or plane for that matter) and the experience was a 10 out of 10..

My Setup:
ST G2300 (23 cc)
Bisson Custom Muffler
Futaba 6EXA
Futaba S3305’s on rudder/ elevator
Futaba S3004’s every where else
1.5 inch alum. Control horns for ailerons
Sullivan tailwheel
APC 18x6W Prop

Also Mine must be an updated version as it included HD 4-40 pushrods

The Wing:
The first item is to join the two wing halves Make Sure you have LOTS of epoxy for the wings are thick and long(in chord.) there is a lot of gluing area! Then I Clamped and taped the two halves together for the epoxy to dry..

The Next Item was to install the hinges and ailerons.. I don’t like to ca my ailerons on until the end of the build or at least until I get the control horns on, so I “Mock them up.” The instructions say the install the hinges into the wing first to about half way in, then mark along the hinge with a pencil. Then you are to remove the hinge and stick a T-pin into the hinge on the line previously marked, and reinstall the hinge until the wing is pressed against the pin.. At this pint you can install the ailerons on the wing and press them up against the pins, then remove the pins and put 3 drops of thin CA on each hinge and work the hinges in by moving the aileron up and down.. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS! If you don’t then the hinge can and will punch through the aileron..

Next is to install the aileron servo’s. Simply cut out the Covering over the holes fish the wires through the wing, drop the servo in place and bolt down. It’s That simple..
To install the pushrods I centered the servo’s first, the put the clevis on the pushrod and do a “ mock up” to see where the control horn should go on the aileron. Then I an remove the aileron and install the horn on it, after that: Reinstall aileron, measure and mark pushrod for bend, make bend, and install… Follow this process for both win halves.

FUSEALAGE:

The first thing I did was to install the tailfeathers…

First comes the Horizontal stab- CAREULLY make sure it’s centered up then mark the Fuse outline on the stab, and cut away the covering so the epoxy works properly. Then I liberally applied epoxy, and set the stab in place. Then with the fuse upside down clamped and put weights on the stab to keep her in place. After the stab had dried I unclamped it and flipped the fuse to right side up, The vert. Stab has a nice slot cut in the fuse just for it, simply cover the “tab” on the Vert. Stab with epoxy and set her in place making sure she’s pushed down all the way..

After the tail feathers are installed I installed the control surfaces and hinges (Please note I did not cover tailwheel install because I have an aftermarket unit on order).

Once the control surfaces are installed slide the pushrods through the factory installed tubes and put the clevises on, Then forget about these for a couple steps. Then drop the elevator rudder servo’s in the fuse, center them, and install their control horns. Then Will your “In there” install the throttle servo and it’s control horn, fasten down the receiver and battery and hook everything up. Now remember those pushrods? Here’s where they come in. Use them to look and see where your control horn needs to go, pull the elevator off and install the control horn then reinstall the elevator, now mark where the bend should be and make the bend and install into the servo control horn.. Now just follow the same sequence for the Rudder! Now you only have 1 Pushrod left, The Throttle, but it comes later.

Engine Install:
First install the wing and bolt it down, this way you can get an Idea of where the engine should sit in the mount for CG reasons. Then bolt the engine and muffler in place.. My ST G2300 w/ Bisson pitts exhaust sits in the front of the mount and is a VERY Tight fit! Now use the throttle pushrod for a mockup to see where you should drill your hole, then remove the engine and drill your hole.. Then you can reinstall the engine and snake the pushrod through, center the servo and fasten pushrod.. The connect the clevis to the carburetor. Then Assemble and plumb the gas tank and install it into the Fuse!

At this point you can install the landing gear, wheels, and axles. And That’s It My Ultra Stick Is Complete.. the time? 5 Hours! I was spoiled by Great Planes ARF’s Until Now! This thing Built quicker that even My trainer! I Must say I’ll start buying more and more H9 stuff, already contemplating the Funtana 90 and 40! And get this, the dry weight: 9.5 lbs! And the Cg came right on the money NO WEIGHT NEEDED! Look for tons of Pics to come, I shot two 24 photo rolls while building.. The flight should be here soon.. Thanks for reading!

Regards, Cody
Old 12-28-2004, 03:24 PM
ICE_MAN

Default RE: Ultra Stick Lite Build Review!

Update:
Photo's should be up tonight or tomorrow. What do you guys think of my first review?
Old 12-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

very good only complaint i had on my was the cloudy covering
Old 12-28-2004, 04:04 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Cody,

The review looks good. I'm hoping to have mine done soon too. Here's a couple questions/ideas for you:

First, it sounds like you decided against using the flaps, right? Any reason in particular? I decided to use them and set the plane up with a custom wiring harness so I can fly it with flaps or full span ailerons.

Second, where'd you mount your tank/batteries? I moved my 12oz. tank under the wing right at the CG. The batteries (I'm using a 3w24 gasser and it needs a battery for the ignition) will go underneith the tank, unless I need to move them to get the CG forward/backward.

Third, I went with the 10-16lb Sullivan tailwheel too. It comes with T-nuts that get installed inside the fuse. I'm going to mount a 1/8" ply plate on top of the Hor. stab and then shorten the Vert. so that the tailwheel will have something solid to mount to. How are you going to mount yours?

I agree with Prophanger1 on the covering. I'm almost done recovering mine. Ironically, the transparent covering leaves the adhesive behind when you pull it up. So, it not only is unpleasant to look at(IMO), it's a pain to remove!

Good luck,

Chris
Old 12-28-2004, 04:15 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Guys there is huge and comprehensive thread on this plane already .. also with lots of mods that make it lighter, etc..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#2273356

and another one here...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...tm.htm#1607130

DP
Old 12-28-2004, 08:09 PM
ICE_MAN

Chris

1.) I decided against the flaps for a couple reasons..One- a bunch of people said the cons outweighed the benefits... Weight, complexity ect. Plus I already have spoilerons and flaperons..

2.) I mounted the tank in the stock location and my batteries and reciever behind the front bulkhead which puts them right behind the tank at the front of the radio comp.

3.) I Don't know yet as I haven't got the tailwheel in yet.

Tip: The Frame on the fuse is hard to cut through which makes it hard to mount you switch on the sides of the plane.. Instead mount it so that it sticks out the bottom of the plane.. When looking down into the radio comp. mine is on the right side under the throttle linkage..

Update: Dindn't have time to get film developed tonight.. will try again tommorow..

Thanks... Keep the comments/questions coming...

Anyone have anytips on starting/breaking in the engine... This is my first venture into Giant Scale.. Also any flying tips welcome.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:31 PM
ICE_MAN

Old 12-30-2004, 02:45 AM
ChrisAttebery

Hey ICE,

Here's my suggestion on the tail wheel. I looked at my plane and the tailwheel for a few minutes tonight. I think the simplest and strongest way to mount it would be to drill a couple of oversized holes, fill them with hardwood dowels and then screw the tailwheel to them. The back of the plane is all balsa, you really need something solid to screw into.

Yeah, I've been looking at the switch mounting too. I think you might be right, but it will be a pain in the arse to check your battery level at the field. The other thing is it might attract more dirt being on the bottom. I haven't seen a better spot for it though. My other thought is to mount it on top of the fuse behind the wing but you will have to add a plate to mount it on.

Chris

ORIGINAL: ICE_MAN

3.) I Don't know yet as I haven't got the tailwheel in yet.

Tip: The Frame on the fuse is hard to cut through which makes it hard to mount you switch on the sides of the plane.. Instead mount it so that it sticks out the bottom of the plane.. When looking down into the radio comp. mine is on the right side under the throttle linkage..

Update: Dindn't have time to get film developed tonight.. will try again tommorow..

Thanks... Keep the comments/questions coming...

Anyone have anytips on starting/breaking in the engine... This is my first venture into Giant Scale.. Also any flying tips welcome.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:18 AM
ICE_MAN

Chris,
I to thought about the dirt/oil on the switch... But I'm running glow so mostly oil.. My super tigres and other ones I've seen don't seem to produce as much oil as other brands. Plus I'm running the Bisson Pitts Exhaust so hopefully this will deflect the rest of it downward past the fuse. Since Your running gas you have nothing to worry about in the way of oil.... Dirt.... Do you fly off a dirt strip maybe? i Fly off grass and never had to worry about the dirt.. If it's a concern to you they make switch protectors for R/c Cars for cheaap.. Check um' out.

Cody
Old 12-30-2004, 07:54 PM
suitcase
My Feedback: (1)

Some advice on flying her..... if you've been flying smaller models, remember, it's farther away than it looks. I've crashed all three, read that right (3) US 120s into the trees. I've got one now that needs a new wing. Hoping to get it ready for the upcoming summer season. I used a G26 gasser and as yet have not run a full gallon through it!
Old 12-30-2004, 08:13 PM
ICE_MAN

Suit Case,
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep it in mind. Good thing we don't have any trees around!

Update: When your 14 its very hard to find a ride to wal-mart to get you film developed.. Especially when your dads truck battery just died.. time for new one
Old 12-30-2004, 09:44 PM
RVator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suitcase used a spiral cutter in a dremel tool to cut the the lite plywood for the swith holes on the side. It was easy to do and much better than mounting on the bottom of the plane.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:02 PM
ICE_MAN

I think I like it on the bottom of the plane... it's easy and it doesn't destroy the look.. Plus I don't have to worry about oil all over it.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:49 PM
ICE_MAN

Chris,
I just remembered That I ordered the tailwheel thats 1 size smaller.. 5-12 i believe... Will it be to small?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:05 PM
ChrisAttebery

I doubt it. Just make sure the axle diameter matches your tailwheel. Someone on the original USL thread recommended the heavier unit so that's what I bought.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:09 PM
ICE_MAN

Ok well I hope it fits...
Old 01-02-2005, 04:04 PM
ICE_MAN

Well, guys,
The time is near.. as soon as my prop comes in I get to fly this thing... I've flown the living(or non living) crap outta my trainer for the last 8 months... Have Limited experience on a friends tiger 60... And now this.... To be honest it looks like it'll fly like my trainer! What do you guys think? Should I do the maiden? Am I right saying it looks like it'll fly like my trainer?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:10 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS

It'll fly like a Stick! It will fly any way you want it to and as forgiving as your trainer. It wll probably fly and land slower than your trainer.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:37 PM
ICE_MAN

ok 1 vote for "Yes Maiden It" any one else?
Old 01-02-2005, 08:25 PM
RVator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the 3 120 size US I have flown needed to have just a little up elevator trim to fly hands off. So for you first flight I would trim the elevator up just where you can see it and have some expo set in your radio just to help because as good as sticks fly it will still be way more responsive than your trainer. You will be amazed how quick it wil get airborn and how slow it will land. Yours will be lighter than the gas powered ones I have flown so it will be a nice flyer. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:15 PM
ICE_MAN

2 Votes for "Maiden It" any one else?
Old 01-03-2005, 06:20 PM
ICE_MAN

Well freebir, my parts came in! I will start it tommorrow... or later tonight if the rain subsides..

Chris, Got my tailwheel! The 5-12 Lb tailwheel is perfect for the USL.... What I did to mount it was to cut a plate out of thin ply, slightly larger than the basse of the tailwheel bracket.. then Used Med. Ca to put it in place on the horizontal stab so that it lined up with the Vert. stab.. Now mark and drill your holes coat the bottom of the tailwheel bracket with Ca And set it in place so that it lines up with the hole you already drilled. Now caot the bolts with Ca and Bolt the bracket on... Right now its still freewheeling as I haven't figured out how to hook it to the rudder yet.. Going to figure it out now!

NOTE: I did not use the included blind nuts!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:12 PM
ICE_MAN

Guys! I ran The Engine!!!!!! Check in the engine forums for my thoughts! The topic will be

"Super Tigre's First Run!"
Old 01-08-2005, 10:16 PM
BUCKETOBOLTS

Wassup Ice! You flown that bird yet? Don't leave me hangin' or I might have to go pick one up and fly it myself.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-08-2005, 11:34 PM
ICE_MAN

nope haven't been able to break in the engine... My starter has died on me and it will be a while til I get it back[:@]

Its not been runenough yetr for handstarts so that out... A friend just had his starter quit on him... He gotg it back 3 days ago.. might have to call him up and get this thing broken in... Running short on fuel as well... time for a trip to the LHS...

Bucket, Definatly go buy yourself one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.