Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World Models Cub 26?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World Models Cub 26?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Jeepindog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Models Cub 26?

Can anyone tell me if I should buy one of these from their ownership experience? I would like to put a little fourstroke that is sitting on my workbench into something nice, and, although I am a builder, a fun little ARF would be nice for something to toss in the truck every now and then. Or for road trips. Anyway, is this well built, does it fly well, is it durable, etc? Thanks for any help.

Lachlan
Old 12-30-2004, 07:39 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Default RE: World Models Cub 26?

very hard to fly[&o]
I"m selling my built one for about 30 dollars.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:01 PM
forestroke

You must be kidding!!! This is a wonderful plane! I loved it. I had one with a O.S. 30 and it flew absolutely beautifully. People in the field were so enchanted by it because of it's absolutely petite (for a cub) but scale appearance. In fact, it's my avatar! Since then I changed the wheels to robart scale wheels. That was it!

Yes the ground handling is atrocious due to it's short fuse... but that is the case for EVERY cub! Mine flew just right with the 30, it wasn't aerobatic but it could due do nice loops with a little dive before to gain speed and rolls weren't F3A axial but just right for the plane. The fourstroke sound in this plane particularly is what I got me hooked on fourstrokes in the first place. Nothing... I mean nothing is as wonderful as seeing and hearing this plane go by with the fourstroke plodding away at half throttle. The take offs were beautiful especially as you bank away from the runway. Landings were equally wonderful as you bank into the approach. This plane is the best plane for your small fourstroke.

The kit is built very light but it was strong enough for 2 years in my hanger before I sold it. It still looked brand new then. In fact, the pictures I have are from the same day I sold those two planes, the Cub and the Ultimate, because I was moving overseas and could not carry them with me for fear of breaking them during transport. I love my planes. The Cub was purchased for $150 (over 2 years old!) and the Ultimate for $200 (it was purchased after it's second day of flying). I would definitely buy another one! It is a small plane so assembly needs some dexterity but nothing a mildly experienced ARF builder, let alone a kit builder, could handle.

On the other hand, the guy who purchased the Cub from me lost it his first time out. He claimed to have "tuned" it perfectly but after take off on that windy day, he couldn't get it back to the field. I heard it just was blown in to the ocean (this is in Hong Kong). I had flown here in windy days without any problems. In fact, the Cub was my Fun Flyer if you will. I was very sad to see her come to that. If I had know, I would've given it away to a friend instead. But it goes to show that you need to fly it knowing that it has its limitations. It's not a 40 size aerobat with a 100 engine in it. It is a very scale flyer and if you can't tune an engine or fly with some limited rudder (particularly on take off), don't know how to use the throttle (once again particularly on take off), don't know how to fly a plane all the way to landing (instead of letting it drop to the ground like so many pilots these days that are use to land bashing thier planes on every landing) and expect this plane to hover and do torque rolls or F3A patterns, then this plane is not for you.

If, however, you want a plane that looks great, fits the pumping sound of the 30 size fourstroke and is a pure scale joy to fly... then this plane is for you.

I say do it... it is a great plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51724.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	208549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69552.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	208550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38349.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	208551  
Old 12-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Jeepindog

I already have a SIG 1/5 scale Cub that flies GREAT! I just want a tiny Cub to take with me on long road trips and play around with. Thanks for the good words about your experiences with one. I think I'll stop by the LHS tomorrow and see what they have!

LM