Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger Spirit 3D

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Thunder Tiger Spirit 3D

Old 12-31-2004, 11:34 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Spirit 3D

Just got the TT Spirit 3D, wonder if anyone else has flown it, just finished mine and will fly it tomorrow. Will post up pics of the plane soon!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41774.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	208705  
Old 12-31-2004, 05:32 PM
raideron
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger Spirit 3D

Keep us update on how the Spirit 3d's.... I have been looking
at it along with the Twist and some of the Kangel planes.. Really
want a Yak or Funtana with the YS 110.. but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-31-2004, 11:19 PM
tIANci

Ron ... my pal maiden his two weeks ago and it was lovely, it will Prop Hang easily (something I have yet to learn!). However, its very fragile ... he had a dead stick and came in for a landing, all was well but he did not notice a bush, the wing caught the bush and somehow the fuse behind the canopy snapped in half, he said he was not that fast. Guess lighter comes with a price. Will be doing the maiden in a few hours. More to come then ...
Old 01-01-2005, 12:32 AM
raideron

Thanks for the quick update.. Can't wait for more info.. Yeah its
so true on light 3 d planes, they don't take much aduse if any..
part of the reason I was looking at profiles also...
What engine are you going to use, and whats on your pals?
Hope you had a great time!!
Old 01-01-2005, 11:42 AM
tIANci

Ron ... I got a TT46 on mine and my friend an OS46AX. His is new and so is mine, he had problems today, poor guy.

I maiden the TT Spirit today and its AMAZING!

Manufacturing

The plane is very well manufactured, covering is very good and so are the laser cut parts. The manner in which the plane is designed is also for aesthetic value. All hardware is most acceptable, the horns are thick and has a ball for the clevises to attach to. Cowling is very well made and is beautifully painted.

Construction

The plane comes with detailed instructions. All instructions were clear and the plane fitted wonderfully well. Only thing is that you have to be very careful when assembling the plane, its is very fragile.

Only thing I was not happy about the plane is the bell crank, its not too smooth, its a shaft in a tube, you need to get the lenght adjusted right. Also, the horns need to be aligned properly as the shaft does not have an indent to keep both bell crank horns are aligned.

Do not use the CA hinges supplied, it feels very 'plasticky' as if they stinged on the fibre. My pal's elevator came off just before flight when the knocked it. Lucky it happened.

When applying the decals its best to use some soapy water ... this will make it very much easier to apply.

Flying

The plane lifts off with ease (remember to bend the tail wheel so that the nose has a higher angle). I did not need to trim the plane much at all. The CG was set at the recommended point and it was fine. Landings are a breeze ... but do bear in mind the plane bleeds off speed pretty quick. It will float in gently.

The rolls are very very axial and loops can be slow and big. I tried to do some KE but as its a 'see through' plane I had problems keeping it level, will try more of it tomorrow. I only had orientation problems in KE.

This plane flies very well with a lot of throw, it actually is nicer with a lot of throw. Inverted flight with this plane is with just with a bit of DOWN elevator and I prefer it this way so I did not move the GC any farther back.

I am not a 3D flyer and I tried some on this plane. Pulling this plane into a prop hang is an ease ... it will hang for you! Dial in a lot of rudder throw as it needs a lot of rudder, this might be due to the longer moment. With the TT46 and the APC 3D prop she will hover at about 65% throttle and pull out of it but at almost 90% throttle. Again ... I am not a 3D person so maybe my throttle management is not all that good.

I tried inverted harrier on this plane, its easy and the wing does not rock much at all. I was flying her at a 45 degree angle slowly. It would almost hover in mid-air in that orientation.

Tomorrow I shall try more 3D manuevers.

Conclusion

This is a brilliant plane ... I am most amazed at the way it handles. I have flown quite a few planes this year and this one rates Top 3 for me. This is much better than the Magic, Magic Extra or the Funstar. This plane is a keeper.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:19 PM
raideron

Thanks tIANci.. Sound like the plane is just great for you!! enjoy
it!! I'm still thinking which I should try.. I'm not a great 3d flyer
but my 4*60 has hovered just after take-off at about 15', I just
started doing that:-), And it K.E.'s OK with the mix setup.. I can
now hold it a couple of circuits around the field.. But after 9
months I still need a lot of work... And members at the club say
I've pretty much done everything the 4* will do for me and that
I really need another plane for what I'm trying to do... I really
want to get a EF Yak or funtana90 with the ys-110.. But $$$$ is a
bit of a problem right now... So I started looking at Kangle fun 50,
Twist, harrier 3d, Razzle, a bunch of proflies and the funstar. I
flew a members funstar, a bit undered powered with the LA46..
But I did not like it, so it's off of my list... I just seen the spirit
for $149 and was wondering about it.. Anyway keep me updated
and have fun!! Happy New Year!!
Old 01-01-2005, 03:41 PM
tIANci

Raid ... forget the Funstar, its no where near the Spirit. I got the F90 with a YS110 but all NIB. I doubt I will fly it soon at all as I am enjoying the Spirit that much. Your next plane will depend where you want to head ... pure 3D or aerobatic 3D. If you want a compromise then go for the F40, she flies 3D but will do great IMAC manuevers. EY Yak would be great stuff ... if only I could get one!
Old 01-01-2005, 04:11 PM
rockmon

Wow I've had one in the hanger for a couple of months now and keep walking past it threatening to get it out and put it together but for some reason just never do, maybe this thread will get me going on it. I plan on putting my trusty Tiger Shark 50 in it for some seriouse grunt. Thanks for the heads up on the bell crank I was wondering how that set up was going to be never having messed with one before. I wonder if a little light sanding with some wet sandpaper would smooth up the action a bit, what do you think? Yup I'm going down to finish the tank move on my funtana and get the spirit out and start on it, thanks guy's and happy new year.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:32 PM
tIANci

The bellcrank is not smooth because the end of the TUBE catches the side of the horn/arms a little ... you just have to adjust the lenght (when you attach the arms in) to get it smooth. The friction does not come from the contact between the TUBE and the SHAFT.