Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90 Wings

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Funtana 90 Wings

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 08:21 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 90 Wings

I know - heres another Funtana 90 wings post but this one is hopefully a little different. I know there are alot of differing opinions on this subject but I would like for this post to be for us who have had problems & ask that all negativity be left to ones self. I know there are alot of folks flying them with no problems what so ever & that I am truly grateful for.

On my original set of wings I set them up BETTER than what Horizon recommended as far as servo choice & mechanical advantage but they let go anyway. So when I got the new ones I set out to fix the wing to my liking.

Upon cutting the covering off the bottom of the first wing & inspecting I was grateful I did. Every rib was already split along the grain & the rib next to the root was completely busted with pieces "floating" around in there. Looking at the square stock that goes from one rib to the next that the servo tray mounts to, one of them had a knot in the wood & upon applying a little pressure with my finger almost broke. I came to a conclusion that this wing would have done good to make it thru one flight no matter the servo size, torq or mechanical advantage. If that one piece of square stock broke there would have been no support for the servo & then Flutter City Baby!!

I did a little work on the wings which you will be able to see in the attached pics & gave the plane a good ringing out for the first time today & I think I have a winner now. I'm running a Saito 120 & I did several high speed passes, blenders and other wing / aileron stressing maneuvers all day today without a hitch.

The mods I did didnt add all that much weight maybe a few oz. but I think were well worth it. I didnt worry so much about making it pretty because I recovered the bottom of the wing with a solid covering so nothing is visible now.

This plane is to good to let something like this slow me down. For $200, a roll of covering & a little scrap wood laying around the shop I now have what I hope is a plane that will not let me down.

View the pics to see what I did & if you worried about your wing go ahead & do as I did or something similar. Sure there is a little weight gain but most of us are overpowering anyway & its worth the security & frame of mind
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98358.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	209400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39135.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	209401  
Old 01-02-2005, 10:03 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)