Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Old 07-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Gimble Bender
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

ORIGINAL: ICE_MAN

Tri Power,

You Definately made the right decidion JBB over USl. I had a USL for a year, Flew Randy Racers JBB once (Now Gimble benders) and never looked at my USL The same again.

Gimble Bender,

I don't know if you know who I am! I'm Cody From Paducah, I fly the EA Extra with the 3W 106CS. I didn't know you were On RCU?
Yep Cody,
I know who you are. I've been on RCU for about a year and a half I guess. I've read sevaral of your posts. BTW, it's not my JBB anymore, it belongs to the airplane gods now....[][][sm=crying.gif][sm=crying.gif] R.I.P
In the process of getting my original JBB gassed up. Got a G-26 coming from Ralph!! WoooHooo. I didn't fly it much due to cold weather when I built it, then the .91FX locked up at the same time I bought Randys, so it's been hanging out from the celing of dad's shop for a few months, so it's like a brand new airplane. Time to put it back in service!!

Tri power,
The rudder blocks are wrong on all of the kits. I don't guess they will ever change it. Don't give up though. When you get it going you'll grin from ear to ear, Thats a Promise!!!

GB
Old 07-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Gimble Bender

ORIGINAL: ICE_MAN

Tri Power,

You Definately made the right decidion JBB over USl. I had a USL for a year, Flew Randy Racers JBB once (Now Gimble benders) and never looked at my USL The same again.

Gimble Bender,

I don't know if you know who I am! I'm Cody From Paducah, I fly the EA Extra with the 3W 106CS. I didn't know you were On RCU?
Yep Cody,
I know who you are. I've been on RCU for about a year and a half I guess. I've read sevaral of your posts. BTW, it's not my JBB anymore, it belongs to the airplane gods now....[][][sm=crying.gif][sm=crying.gif] R.I.P
In the process of getting my original JBB gassed up. Got a G-26 coming from Ralph!! WoooHooo. I didn't fly it much due to cold weather when I built it, then the .91FX locked up at the same time I bought Randys, so it's been hanging out from the celing of dad's shop for a few months, so it's like a brand new airplane. Time to put it back in service!!

Tri power,
The rudder blocks are wrong on all of the kits. I don't guess they will ever change it. Don't give up though. When you get it going you'll grin from ear to ear, Thats a Promise!!!

GB

I got it done last night at 0230....... I had to drill holes through the bulkhead just in front of the stab with a long 1/8" drill bit to fish the rudder cables through. I also had to remove the other nyrod shell from the other side.. It all works well with no slop, but what a PIA.......

It needs a CG check, and a good going over to make sure I didn't miss anything..... If the weather cooperates, I am going to fly it today.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:32 PM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

For what its worth, finished my BB awhile back but didn't fly it due to our screwed up Wisconsin weather. Being as it has a new Magnum 120 FS on it I ran three or four tanks through it before it ever left the table at the field. Time for taxi tests. I must say it is about the best plane I ever had for ground handling..rock steady. I wanted to taxi slow and then fast while the Magnum broke in. As luck would have it, I taxied to the far end of the field and did some slow work went back and decided to do some at a little faster pace. As luck would have it , about 30 feet into the taxi, the tail wheel came up and just stayed there...very impressive! As I was holding the tail wheel up, the wind picked up just a smidge which as it turned out was just enough to get it airborne. Fearing a possible tip stall, I gave it full throttle and it climbed out like it was on rails. It flew like a dream, rock steady. Since then, I have managed to run several more tanks through the 120 and it just keeps on getting better and better. It will hover, tumble and do just about everything a person could ask. Just for the record, I had the same problem with trying to fish the wire for the elevators through. I got so bad (read that..PO'd) I decided to mount both elevator servos in the rear and hope for the best. As luck would have it, the combination of the Magnum and the servos in the rear caused the BB to balance dead on. I had my doubts about all the rave reviews the BB got and all I can say is, "they're all true"!!! Anyone who has any doubts about the plane, forget them, its one of the best, most fun aircraft out there. Joe
Old 07-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Tripower455

ORIGINAL: JL636

For what its worth, finished my BB awhile back but didn't fly it due to our screwed up Wisconsin weather. Being as it has a new Magnum 120 FS on it I ran three or four tanks through it before it ever left the table at the field. Time for taxi tests. I must say it is about the best plane I ever had for ground handling..rock steady. I wanted to taxi slow and then fast while the Magnum broke in. As luck would have it, I taxied to the far end of the field and did some slow work went back and decided to do some at a little faster pace. As luck would have it , about 30 feet into the taxi, the tail wheel came up and just stayed there...very impressive! As I was holding the tail wheel up, the wind picked up just a smidge which as it turned out was just enough to get it airborne. Fearing a possible tip stall, I gave it full throttle and it climbed out like it was on rails. It flew like a dream, rock steady. Since then, I have managed to run several more tanks through the 120 and it just keeps on getting better and better. It will hover, tumble and do just about everything a person could ask. Just for the record, I had the same problem with trying to fish the wire for the elevators through. I got so bad (read that..PO'd) I decided to mount both elevator servos in the rear and hope for the best. As luck would have it, the combination of the Magnum and the servos in the rear caused the BB to balance dead on. I had my doubts about all the rave reviews the BB got and all I can say is, "they're all true"!!! Anyone who has any doubts about the plane, forget them, its one of the best, most fun aircraft out there. Joe
Cool... I was running in the RCV 91CD yesterday in the driveway, and taxied mine around a bit. With that tall gear, ground handling is great! Even in the tall grass, it handled nicely. I do not have enough room to actually fly it in my yard though......

I did end up getting all of the cables fished through and working. It is definitely a workable system, if not a little tedious.......
Old 07-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Tripower455

Well, I maidened the JBB today, and all I have to say is WHAT A GREAT FLYER!

The RCV91CD pulls it along nicely and it isn't even completely run in yet....... What a nice running engine, btw. Super quiet too......

I got around 5 minutes of time on the airframe when it dead sticked. The throttle barrel stop screw backed out and dissapeared. The first landing was perfect, dead stick.......

I am going to go through the controls and make sure nothing came loose.

Oh, btw, it balanced about 1/8" forward of the recommended CG with the RCV and a 1900 MAH 4.8V pack right behind the fuel tank. I flew it like this and it is perfect.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Gimble Bender
My Feedback: (32)

They really are great flying airplanes. I'm glad you got it down fine! I've had trouble dead sticking mine lately, I tore the gear out once and killed it the next time. Both times the engine quit while very low to the ground and slow. The big boy is THE most forgiving airframe i've ever flown but it can only forgive so much... Currently getting my first JBB on gas since I killed the experimental JBB. Soon to have it in the air again.

GB
Old 07-20-2006, 06:45 AM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

e big boy is a dead stick dream if you have a little altitude. i almost never landed mine with the engine running, when my timer would go off i would climb till i couldn't hardly see the plane and when the fuel was gone i could get 4 more minutes of flight time doing rolls , loops, and snaps. you guys will love the big boy.

randy racer
Old 07-20-2006, 10:05 AM
crebulus

Hey guys, just found this thread. I'm the one who has Terry's clipped wing big boy. He probably doesn't want to be put in the spotlight, but he did a very generous thing and gave this plane to my neices. They suffered the tragic loss of their father, and trying to be a good uncle and get their minds off of things I had brought them to the field because they expressed an interest in flying, and they were very impressed with that big pink plane. Imagine my surprise when he said he would give it to them. I've met nothing but standup people since getting into this hobby earlier this year, Terry being one of the best.

Now onto my question. I'm finally getting around to getting this thing ready to be their trainer(work,vacations,my own learning, etc. keeping me from it.) I've read where some of yall have gassers on yours. I have an old 1/4 scale bipe that was given to me and will take a long time to to get it air worthy. It has an old G23 on it. I got the engine running and it seems fine. What I need to know is if I can put the G23 on the clipped BB since it has less wing and all that. And also if it would still be a good trainer in this case. I don't have any other engines other than a ST45 and a 40. I don't think one of those would work well, and I really want to get this thing ready to teach my neices.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Tripower455

ORIGINAL: DarrinD

Hey guys, just found this thread. I'm the one who has Terry's clipped wing big boy. He probably doesn't want to be put in the spotlight, but he did a very generous thing and gave this plane to my neices. They suffered the tragic loss of their father, and trying to be a good uncle and get their minds off of things I had brought them to the field because they expressed an interest in flying, and they were very impressed with that big pink plane. Imagine my surprise when he said he would give it to them. I've met nothing but standup people since getting into this hobby earlier this year, Terry being one of the best.

I am sorry to hear about your loss...... Terry's generosity is notable, and big kudos for it! Just when my faith in human nature starts to wane, I read something like this....... You're an OK uncle too ........ I'd like to think that if I am ever gone, that my kids would be looked after like your neices are......

Now onto my question. I'm finally getting around to getting this thing ready to be their trainer(work,vacations,my own learning, etc. keeping me from it.) I've read where some of yall have gassers on yours. I have an old 1/4 scale bipe that was given to me and will take a long time to to get it air worthy. It has an old G23 on it. I got the engine running and it seems fine. What I need to know is if I can put the G23 on the clipped BB since it has less wing and all that. And also if it would still be a good trainer in this case. I don't have any other engines other than a ST45 and a 40. I don't think one of those would work well, and I really want to get this thing ready to teach my neices.
I can't comment on the gasser, as I have no experience with them. I am a big fan of overpowered planes, but I will say that a .91 4 stroke is waaaaay more than enough power to train with on the full sized wing. In my short flight, I flew it around at less than half throttle with full control authority. It's gonna make a great trainer for my son.......... and a relaxing fun flyer for me ...........

I repaired tha carb on mine, and will take it out to the field either tonight (if the weather clears) or definitely tomorrow......
Old 07-20-2006, 07:01 PM
waynem
My Feedback: (58)

Hi Darrin, I am flying a B.B. With a os 91 two stroke engine with plenty of power. I am going to put a G23 on mine later. I think if you want to get flying with yours without a lot of cost, Put a tower 75 with a 13x6 prop on it. Good Luck on your training. Wayne M.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:03 PM
crebulus

I was wanting to use an engine that I had. And I'd really like to use the G23. I just dont know if the fact that the wings are clipped will keep me from doing it. Also, I don't really know what I have to do different with it other than the fuel lines. If it's gonna be too much trouble, I will consider getting a cheap 2 stroke to put on there.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:36 PM
waynem

Darrin, To use your G23 in the big boy all you will need to do is convert your fuel tank for gas. You have to change the stopper and the fuel lines. Also you will need to move the servos to the rear of the plane to balance it at 4 and 1/2 inches.I dont know about wing load with the clipped wing. Maybe someone else will jump in and tell you. I would use a 17x6 prop on the G23 to keep the speed down, Good luck whatever you decide to do. Wayne M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50206.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	494377  
Old 07-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Tripower455

Here is my JBB with an RCV 91CD on it......

Plenty of power for normal 2D flying, and balanced slightly forward of the recommended CG with no added weight.....

Great airplane.... I'd be out flying it right now if it weren't raining!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64633.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	495126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78470.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	495127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73514.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	495128  
Old 08-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Tripower455

I've finally got my carb issues straightened out, and boy what a fun plane to fly! I put 4 flights on it today, and it will do almost anything. The roll rate is phenonemal, and it snaps oh so well...... It also slows down nicely for training my son, with the rates cut of course. Landings are sooooo smooth......

This is by far the best flying sport plane I've had.....
Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 PM
daveamt
My Feedback: (1)

Does anyone have any videos of the Big Boy?
Dave
Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 PM
HughBrown

Hey Darrin,

Did you leave your charger out at the field last weekend? If you did I think that Terry has it.

Hugh Brown
Old 08-08-2006, 08:20 AM
crebulus

Sent you an email Hugh. Thanks for looking out.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Tripower455

Well, I FINALLY got an appointment with my 9 year old to come to the field with me today (I swear, he's got a social calander that rivals Paris Hilton!) and we put a few flights on the JBB.

He has been flying a Slow Stick for a while, but on and off. He hadn't seen a tx in several months, when I put him on the buddy box today. The first flight, I took it pretty often until he got the hang of it and I cut the throws a bit more. The second flight, we flew an entire tank through it (about 15 minutes at mid throttle), and I had it for maybe 2 minutes of that time. He did GREAT! There were only a few times that if I weren't there to take it, he would have crashed. He's doing great recovering from unusual attitudes. He's still having troubles when it's coming at him, but we're working on it.

Then, I take it back, and with the throws on full rate, it is extremely aerobatic....

Overall, a very satisfying morning. Tomorrow, he will do a takeoff. I ran it the length of the field, hands off today to see how it tracks. It tracks like a trike!

GREAT airplane!!!!
Old 08-26-2006, 02:57 PM
conchohoncho
My Feedback: (120)

[]I hope that someone is still watching this thread. I put together a JBB ARF with a 100 Saito uo front. I did the pull pull thing so all of the servos are in the stock locations. The the receiver is just forward of the servos and the battery is right behind the tank. It looks like I will have to add 9 1/2 onces of lead to the nose to get the CG at 4 1/2 inches from the L E of the wing. I could use a Saito 125 in the same mounting holes but that would only get me 2 1/2 onces. I could also move the engine about 3/4 of an inch forward on the mount. An I missing something, I thought that my setup would balance without adding any weight? I did replace the tires with ones from Cremark, but I think that they are a bit more on the heavy side. Thanks for any help.
Richard
Old 08-26-2006, 06:50 PM
waynem

Hi Concho, I am flying the Big Boy with a OS91 FSR engine. I dont know the weight of my engine but my problem is backward than yours. I had to add about 4 oz. of lead to the tail of my plane. Maybe they use heavy balsa in some. I have my servos in the stock location with the receiver in front and the batt. behind them toward the tail. I dont what to tell you besides going to a heavier engine or move it out. Good luck and I know you will love the way the B.B. flys when you get the C.G. right. Wayne M.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Tripower455

Mine balanced slightly nose heavy with the RCV91, an 1900 mah battery in front of the servos, and the reciever in the space behind the tank.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:38 PM
N925WB
My Feedback: (56)

I had the opportunity to fly a Big Boy this afternoon for the first time, and it really is a nice flying airplane. Honest as can be, and VERY capable. I was doing rolling harriers, rolling harrier circles, hovers, all manner of neat-o tricks. The elevator on this particular example was a little reduced in throw (the owner is kind of a new pilot), but the plane performed exceptionally well despite this. He had a new (rich-running) OS 1.20 FS on the nose, and it had WAY more than enough power.

If you're on the fence about buying one of these planes, get your credit card out, and place that order! If you don't like the plane, give it to me, and I'll fly it for you!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Tripower455

ORIGINAL: N925WB

I had the opportunity to fly a Big Boy this afternoon for the first time, and it really is a nice flying airplane. Honest as can be, and VERY capable. I was doing rolling harriers, rolling harrier circles, hovers, all manner of neat-o tricks. The elevator on this particular example was a little reduced in throw (the owner is kind of a new pilot), but the plane performed exceptionally well despite this. He had a new (rich-running) OS 1.20 FS on the nose, and it had WAY more than enough power.

If you're on the fence about buying one of these planes, get your credit card out, and place that order! If you don't like the plane, give it to me, and I'll fly it for you!
I'll second this...... it is probably the most versatile sport plane I've ever owned....... In the same flight, I train my son, then when he gets tired, I flip the rate switches and it is a ball........
Old 08-29-2006, 04:12 PM
ramduster

I just up graded my jerry's big boy to a evolution 26gt gas engine and it looks like I am going to need some tail bracing. So does any body have a picture of some that they can post on the jerry's big boy.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:41 PM
waynem

Ramduster, I plan on putting a G23 on my B.B. this winter. Keep us posted on how you balance yours and how you move the servoes to the tail of the plane.I am trying to figure out how many servoes will have to be moved. I know that the two elevators will, I would like to leave the rudder in the stock location. I think I will have to move it also to balance. also could work with the batt. pack. Keep use up to date as you install engine and servoes. also on the tail bracing you use 2-56 push rod wire to brace the tail. I have to Stingers with the tail braced like this. You can look at the pic. in my gallery to see this. A little heavy but you will need tail weight anyway. Wayne M.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.