Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

AVOID Nitroplanes!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

AVOID Nitroplanes!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 PM
skubacb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVOID Nitroplanes!!!!!!!!!

We all know that Desert Aircraft makes the highest quality gas engines available today. Their product support is superior to anyone else selling gas model aircraft engines. They have worked hard to win and justify that reputation.

Well, Nitroplanes is advertising "DA" engines for sale on their site http://www.nitroplanes.com/fm01-10d.html. The only thing is that they are NOT Desert Aircraft engines.

I have been told that Desert Aircraft has asked them several times to remove this misleading advertising and they have not. Boycott this site. This is not good for our hobby and could hurt the reputation of Desert Aircraft when someone claims that a "DA" engine is a piece of junk when it is a Nitro vended engine that has performed poorly.

Competition in commerce is fine with me. I had bought from Nitroplanes before but this forces me to not buy from them. If you care for our hobby and all the support that Desert Aircraft has given to multiple competitions and events in our hobby tell Nitro to stop this practice. Desert Aircraft makes their engines in the USA and employs US citizens. Support this high quality company.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 AM
Oberst
Banned

Default RE: AVOID Nitroplanes!!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: skubacb

We all know that Desert Aircraft makes the highest quality gas engines available today. Their product support is superior to anyone else selling gas model aircraft engines. They have worked hard to win and justify that reputation.

Well, Nitroplanes is advertising ''DA'' engines for sale on their site http://www.nitroplanes.com/fm01-10d.html. The only thing is that they are NOT Desert Aircraft engines.

I have been told that Desert Aircraft has asked them several times to remove this misleading advertising and they have not. Boycott this site. This is not good for our hobby and could hurt the reputation of Desert Aircraft when someone claims that a ''DA'' engine is a piece of junk when it is a Nitro vended engine that has performed poorly.

Competition in commerce is fine with me. I had bought from Nitroplanes before but this forces me to not buy from them. If you care for our hobby and all the support that Desert Aircraft has given to multiple competitions and events in our hobby tell Nitro to stop this practice. Desert Aircraft makes their engines in the USA and employs US citizens. Support this high quality company.

Most of us already avoid Nitroplanes/CMP/Giant Scale Models or what ever they like calling themselves at the time. They are crafty, and if they ran a honest business and made top notch ARF's they wouldn't have to do that.

People have been complaining about CMP/ Nitroplanes since RCU existed, and I too know of better places to get better ARF aircraft and as well, get the bigger bang for the buck including great customer service.

Nitroplanes is more a "Builders ARF" than a simple slam together and fly kind of thing. The RTF planes- I'm not sure if they are any good, but if it's anything like their ARF's, then no thanks.

They are so bad in the way they do buisness, I've seen them attempt to sneak in the forums and try to advertise a new product. Moderators quickly try to remove it when they see it.

Pete
Old 09-23-2011, 02:15 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it's like a joke at this point.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:15 AM
opjose

There is only one engine that appears on their site as "DA" and this is a clone "DL" engine.

NP often cuts and pastes advertizing from Chinese sources. It appears that was done for this engine as I've found exactly the same ad for the engine elsewhere.

Not-with-standing, it should be corrected.

Strangely I've pointed out an error or two to them myself, and it has been promptly corrected by the webmaster.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:17 AM
jzrf6c

I just ordered their Sea wing micro. First time using NP. What a joke. It does not fly at all. Bad foam, bad motor, bad prop, bad instructions. But if you complain they get you the next time you order.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:03 PM
dditch

That link does not work for me and the DA-50 they show looks nothing like a Dessert Aircraft 50. I would not be surprised if they listed it w/o even thinking about it. I know they don't like to remove links but it's showing out of stock anyway.
I think I have purchased around 10+ planes from them over the years. Only the older CMP kits was I displeased with. The newer CMP stuff is much better. But you can't compare a $100 CMP ARF to a $250 Hanger 9. Often the foamies need some mods but still better bang for the buck than parkzone. Easy to get mods and feedback on the stuff before you order from RCGroups or here.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:55 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I remember a few years ago, they were using pics of Top Flite's Cessna 182 in the ads for their Cessna.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:27 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you read the complete Giles 202 thread, you will see quite a few guys had good flying planes...but the hardware was kinda on the weak side. Most guys have extra hardware from other airplanes on hand, so that is no big deal. At least it gives some a chance to fly bigger airplanes without breaking the bank! Capt,n
Old 09-23-2011, 04:35 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Giles 202 thread= http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 PM
skubacb

I have no problems with CMP. I.E. you get what you pay for and they certainly are a builders ARF. I really can't mean ARF. I would say half way between most companies ARFs and a kit. BTW CMPs latest "ARF", a 109 I think is much better. It might qualify for the real ARF designation.

The problem is with Nitro and they do know what they are doing by stating that they are selling a DA. Why not just state what the engine really is rather than trying to get people that don't understand to buy a fake DA. You really have to be a low life to do that.

Did a Google for DA engine and Nitro: http://www.nitroplanes.com/fm01-10d.html Low, low, scum.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It states it has 5 Star review. Yet when you ty to read the reviews it just takes you to a page of cheep foamy advertizements. Yep, the implication is intentional. To be honest I felt the same way as the OP here when DLA and DLE DL-USA and the whole lot of D-whatever engines hit the market. The DLE series seams to be standing on it's own now but it will take a decade of quality, performance and service to be half what DA is now. My next engine will likely be that shiney new DA-60. I will not be this knock off paper weight/door stop advertized on NP.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:18 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Come on, If anyone buys that thinking you're getting a DA,, they shouldn't be ordering online

NitroPlanes is an Honest Vendor,, lets give them the benifit of the doubt and say that maybe just a typo
Old 09-24-2011, 07:20 AM
carrellh

There is a tab with the 'reviews'
One reads: Not a real DA, should be renamed
Other: It is a good engine

They do not write 'Desert Aircraft' anywhere on the site. I do not know if "DA" is trademarked by Desert Aircraft or not, even though most people who know about gasoline engines would draw the connection.

Do I think the site is misleading? Yes

I took a picture from the Desert Aircraft page http://www.desertaircraft.com/engine...p?Page=DA-50-R and pasted it beside a picture from the Nitro site. I tried to attach it but the server is not cooperating. Anyone who actually knows what Desert Aircraft is would never be fooled.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: skubacb

I have no problems with CMP. I.E. you get what you pay for and they certainly are a builders ARF. I really can't mean ARF. I would say half way between most companies ARFs and a kit. BTW CMPs latest ''ARF'', a 109 I think is much better. It might qualify for the real ARF designation.

The problem is with Nitro and they do know what they are doing by stating that they are selling a DA. Why not just state what the engine really is rather than trying to get people that don't understand to buy a fake DA. You really have to be a low life to do that.

Did a Google for DA engine and Nitro: http://www.nitroplanes.com/fm01-10d.html Low, low, scum.

CMP and Nitroplanes are the same company. The company uses different names to confuse the buyer because the bad rap, and they think we can't refuse the low price and pray on us Westerns because of it. If you see Nitroploanes, CMP they are all one company. Don't be fooled. I'm not sure if Flyboy Models is the same company, but the quality is just as bad and they too are from China. I'm suspecting they are from the same company but I can't proove it.

I do think that many of the E-bay aircraft we see on the market is Nitroplanes/CMP. So I don't buy my planes from E-bay either just to be safe.

Pete
Old 09-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think some here are getting their knickers in a knot over perceived blasphemy of vaunted DA. Initials in a name are rarely copyrighted and if DA has the copyright a cease and desist letter from their legal mind would end it so it is doubtful they have it. Asking them to stop using it carries no weight if you don't own the copyright.

DA makes a good engine and provides good service. If for the money I want bragging rights I will buy DA. For an engine that lives long and prospers I will buy 3W and Zenoah. For knock around sport work and easy RTF resale, DLE, DLA, CRRC-Pro, Turinigy all work just fine for me.

Never done business with Nitro but in looking at their products at the AMA show in Ontario, Ca., there was a wide range of quality, from cheesy on the cheap end to very good on the higher end. They aren't really much different from other direct Chinese vendors.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:24 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Oberst

CMP and Nitroplanes are the same company.
That is completely wrong. CMP, Flyboy, etc. are all separate Chinese manufacturers.

NP operatates out of the U.S. West coast.

This is how misinformation gets perpetuated around here.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: opjose

CMP and Nitroplanes are the same company.
That is completely wrong. CMP, Flyboy, etc. are all separate Chinese manufacturers.

NP operatates out of the U.S. West coast.

This is how misinformation gets perpetuated around here.

No you are wrong. Same ARF made by 2 factories under one manufacture. For instance you buy a Chevy and I by a Buick- it's still GM. Flyboy Models is the same quality as Nitroplanes/CMP. Terrible! So yes, I still stand by what I said. CMP and Nitroplanes are the same.

Pete
Old 09-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

What do you expect from a government owned and run company?

This is what happens to anything that should be privately run that is run by any government
Old 09-24-2011, 03:53 PM
opjose

No you are wrong. Same ARF made by 2 factories under one manufacture. For instance you buy a Chevy and I by a Buick- it's still GM. Flyboy Models is the same quality as Nitroplanes/CMP. Terrible! So yes, I still stand by what I said. CMP and Nitroplanes are the same.
Sorry but you are wrong, repeating misinformation.

CMP and Flyboy are two completely different Chinese companies which manufacture different lines of products. The GM analogy is erroneous.

NP is just a box and go reseller with a rather small staff. I've stopped by there.

If you don't believe me you can shoot Tony or Eric @ NP a message and ask them yourself. Head over to RCDiscuss and post there.
They DO answer.

CMP is not "Terrible" though their models do vary in build to the point that some are much better than others.

Have a look at my photo gallary for CMP planes that are fairly well built.
I'd be happy to point out what I've found that is in need of improvement, but "terrible"? No not at all...

The foamies, particularly some of the Art-Techs, I don't care for at all... though the other higher priced spread are not bad.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:54 PM
skubacb

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Come on, If anyone buys that thinking you're getting a DA,, they shouldn't be ordering online

NitroPlanes is an Honest Vendor,, lets give them the benifit of the doubt and say that maybe just a typo
Did you miss the first post???

Desert Aircraft has asked them a number of times to please remove the misleading ad and they have not.

When you blow off the real DA you know; This is NOT a mistake by Nitro

That is what gets me upset.

BTW there are many many factories in China. Not every brand is even made in the same factory. A really great product designed and sold by Goldenskiesrc.com is the Crossfire. Lee Schantz has talked with us and he has to work very hard to make sure he gets the quality he wants. One factory even shut down and took $25,000 from him along with his fixtures.

So it is tough to know who is doing what in China. Goldenskiesrc.com is finally coming out with the Falco this fall (yahooo). Only two years after he wanted it out. Sounds like he has to have one factory do the fuse (fiberglass) and one do the wings. So Nitro could be the one importing CMP. I would go do some more research before I stated something like that as fact or not. However, I do not believe that Nitro has a lock on CMP. Look at all the other stuff they grab. Some good and some terrible.

I think it is dumb to say that it is ok to say you are selling a DA Engine and not state that is is not from Desert Aircraft. Desert Aircraft even now gets people who what support from them for DL and DLE engines. The DL engine is so much a copy of the Desert aircraft engine that some parts will exactly fit. So DA should be allowed their name. US made, designed, and so great that DLE couldn't improve on the design and ripped off DA. So much for patent and copyrights with China.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:14 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

CMP  = Cheap Model Planes?
CMP = Crashing Model Planes?
CMP = Cheezy Measy Planes?
CMP = Chinese Manure Productions?
CMP = Crappy Made Products?
CMP = Cheat Me Please?
CMP = Can't Make Planes?
CMP = Crash Motivated Products?
CMP = Chinese Means Pathetic?
CMP = Call M Pathetic

Care to add your own?
Old 09-24-2011, 06:22 PM
jb737

i have bought a few planes from them,that wouldn't fly. I complained with no results. that was in 2009,i see they still are selling sub standard arfs
Old 09-24-2011, 07:03 PM
rccrasher65
My Feedback: (35)

Just buy AMERICANMADE!!! DEASERTAIRCRAFT, problem solved. You only get what you pay for!!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:34 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I always understood the nitroplane brand was cheap.they are pretty much a slam bam putogether product.yes I even dislike hobby king.they screwed 2 twice and made my list of "never to buy from"..

I wont lie I have bought rc stuff from foreign vendors on occasion butI also knew what I was getting and sadly most of our goods come from china tiwan japan etc.we did it to ourselves and unfortnuately that part of american culture is hard to change.everyone talks begs for us to by american but theres not much left that is american made and by our very nature we want products cheap.sam walton figured that out along time ago.

its a vicous circle .I would love a real DA50but atover 500 to 600 or more its not possible.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 AM
Jezmo

As far as the DA issue goes they should take it down plain and simple. On the subject of whether they should be avoided, I've only bought one plane from them and that was a few years back. A fellow club member had bought a 90 size Extra from them that looked very good graphics wise and his looked fairly well built and was reasonably light for a small 3D bird. The hardware was junk but heck for $124.95 I could replace the hardware and still come out ahead. I won't get into specifics but I had a bunch of fun with that thing and it flew very good. I definitely got my moneys worth.

If one is careful and knows how to avoid the JUNK that is also available when ordering online, deals can be had. I surely WOULD NOT recommend them to a person new to the hobby especially one who is not familiar with avoiding all the potential Chinese crap that is out there.

Hobby King is another story. They do have some really good items although there is some JUNK as well. I've gotten some of the best LiPo's from them of any I've owned and I'm including the big names like ThunderPower. In some cases the ThunderPower product turned out to be worse than the 1/5th price Turnigy NanoTech product. Their Zippy Rhino batteries have proven VERY good for me as well. The Rhino was one of the cheapest batteries when it first came on the market but was at least as good as any of the big names out there. There are vultures right here in the good ole USA that will take every last dime grandma has if she is naive enough to let him. We MUST learn to be watchful and question a deal to make sure it is a good one before jumping in. Getting a good deal is not for the faint of heart nor for the weak in mind and body. Getting a good deal is not a right nor are we ENTITLED to a good deal, we have to work for them and be smart enough to recognize snake oil salesmen when they appear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.