Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Lynn1953

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Thanks - I didn't want to get too short a radius as it might hit the bottom of the fuse at the firewall as it makes it's turn underneath the fuse. The long header has a sorter bend radius that NOGYRO's xtra long.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Tim Taylor

Well, I had a Big Boy.

Then along came this Yellow Plane.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99751.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	696922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23239.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	696923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71870.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	696924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62710.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	696925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69997.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	696926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72731.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	696927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37049.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	696928  
Old 06-03-2007, 07:27 PM
barnesracing

well let's hear what happened?

keith
Old 06-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Tim Taylor

Just two objects of conciderable mass attempted to occupy the same space.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:33 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN
My Feedback: (1)

OH NO,NO,NO, TIM-BO!!!
We want the dirt! Inquiring minds want to know if you were filming the blonde at her swiming pool or just on a regular training mission & were hit by enemy kamikaze aircraft! Looks like you took a pretty good hit in the engine too. I don't think I've seen such a bad bunch of wreckage in a long while! Radio okay? Camera? More than that....... Are YOU okay?? It's gonna be tough without any good aerial combat films from Tim "Flick" Taylor! Get back in the air soon.
Terry
Old 06-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Tim Taylor

No, I'm pretty bummed. The camera wasn't on it at the time or it would have been one awesome video. The guy flying the yellow plane was on a buddy box. I was lower than he was (or so I thought) and he said he was doing a loop. It came down from the loop right into me. I was going to go lower but it was too late. His fuel tank was part of my plane when it came down. The fuselage of the Yellow plane was 75 yards from mine when it hit the ground and one wing half fell another 75 yards away. His engine was found between the two crash sites. My engine was still running as it fell and it was dragging both wing halves by the wires. I hit the kill switch about 50 yards up. The fuselage was also seperated front to back half and held together by wires as it fell.

The PCM reciever antenna is cut. The ignition modual and switch are toast. The engine is ok, just broken fins and a broken plastic piece on the intake. All the servos, wires and batterys are OK.

We do dogfighting and formation flying all the time with similar sized planes. When one plane is conciderably larger than the other it's difficult to judge distance. I think that's what actually caused it.

I just really liked this plane. Everyone has a favorite and this was mine, it had charactor. Even the prop was over 5 months old. I have another JBB in the box in the attic. I'll get started on it.

Tim
Old 06-08-2007, 06:03 AM
dougwill

Hi All
Flew maiden on the BigBoy with the new YS110 last night. Had a hard time getting it started. Needle setting were 2 out on high, low was just below flush and reg. was flush also. Engine would not start below 1/2 throttle and was erratic thru the first tank. It was running rich and still turning 9800 with the APC 16 X 6 prop. Second tank was better and I got the idle down to 2600 and went ahead and flew it there. Both the engine and plane flew great. I'm guessing that the reg. spring might have been a little stiff and caused the starting problems. Power was amazing, the 110 pulled the BB (8+ lbs) vertical at 3/4 throttle and it was picking up speed. Will fly a couple more tanks thur it and see if I can get the idle down. Might try a 17 X 4w to help slow it down. The BB needed 2 clicks of left and was awsome to fly. The tail lifted off the ground in 110 ft. and made the nicest looking takeoff I've ever had. wow!

Doug
Old 06-08-2007, 06:39 AM
barnesracing

Glad to hear it went well. let us know how the motor does on the next flights. I fly mine witw a YS 120 and love the motor and plane.

KEITH
Old 06-08-2007, 08:48 PM
suitcase

well I wish I could say the same thing guys. I have a new 110 on mine and have even sent it back to Richard and it still won't run right. I'm getting some 30% tomorrow to see if that helps. No matter how I set the needles it won't run more a few seconds and then fuel poors out of the carb. I turned the reg screw in and started with about one turn to all the way out to three turns and it still acts nuts. I've set it back to factory many times to start over but about ten seconds is about all it'll run before quitting. I pulled the reg off and checked to see if anything was obvious it looks fine to me. Anyway, with fuel pooring out of the carb, the reg must be working right? I think I may have a lemon with this one because I have one on a Mayhem and it runs really well. I never mess with the needles.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Tim Taylor

I'm working on my second BB. All three servos (elevator/rudder) are going to the tail this time. I'm replacing the fuel tank with a larger one. The tank will be under the wing. The engine kill servo will be under the wing. The ignition will be in the tank compartment where it was before. The throttle servo will be moved back under the wing. The reciever antenna was cut in the crash so it will have to be replaced. I ran out of hinge CA or the main build would be finished.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:25 PM
ICE 32 ICEMAN

HEY BIG BOYS!
I guess that's what we all are since we fly the JBB's! Just a little heads up on our donations...... I deposited all the checks and postal money orders into my bank today. (I put them in my savings account until they all clear and then I go pick up the JBB kit.) Anybody got a line on a hobby shop up in South Dakota? I need a home base for presenting this to HUMMER as well as a contact place to send it. If we got at least a couple more donations (2) we will have this baby paid off. I popped a few more bucks in the kitty just because I could. Things are starting to get tight around the ICEMAN's household so I gotta watch the old spending! (Probably the same with a lot of us!) Tim, glad to hear you'll be videoing with the new JBB soon. Suitster and Keith: I got rid of my bass boat a while back..... Otherwise I would trade ya'll out of those YS jobbies so I could have me a good boat anchor!! LOL What seems to be the deal with them not running? I don't know much about YS's other than they are real powerful. Most of our pattern guys come in with the motor cut off...... Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen one at idle. Have you tried different fuel or is it a fuel delivery problem? The wedding is getting closer and time for our trip to Nashville. Can't wait to come fly with ya'll! Later.
Terry
Old 06-09-2007, 06:23 AM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

tim if you move everything to rear you may have a very tail heavy plane. what engine are you running? i built and set one up for a local flyer with a OS 120/header and mousse can pipe. i installed the elevator servos in the tail and rudder in stock location on pull pull, fuel tank in the nose and throttle servo in stock location. i had to move the engine out on the mount to get the plane to ballance right.

Iceman, give me a PM when you are coming to nashville. i am looking forward to meeting and flying with you. i hope we can get it worked out.

suitcase, sell the YS and install a good old OS 120 2 stroke and do some flying. how long have you been trying to get a engine to run on your big boy? not trying to bust your chops just wish you could be flying a great airplane instead of fighting with a engine.

keith, see you saturday.

randy
Old 06-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Tim Taylor

I'm using a very heavy gas engine. On the first plane with the original nitro motor and a pull pull system I had to move the battery about two ribs to the rear between the tail and servo compartment. With the gas motor I had to move the ignition battery and radio battery almost all the way to the tail. I also moved the elevator servos to the rear. Like this it was right on the money. Being a little heavy with the gas motor and extra parts it'll still do anything the lighter motors will do including float like a glider.

Heres some pictures of the broken BB. You can see the servos and batterys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63691.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	700373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68563.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	700374  
Old 06-09-2007, 08:40 AM
GMoneyPit
My Feedback: (5)

Ice,

I'll see if I can get you another Jackson in the mail before Monday.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 06-10-2007, 06:33 AM
randy racer

sounds good tim, keep us posted on the new BB.

i had a a chance to fly Keith's ( barnesracing) big boy with the YS 120 last night and it did a very good job. i am a 2 stroke kind of guy but the 120 is A OK. keith flys it very well to.

randy
Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM
suitcase

OUCH!![X(] Guys. I've flown the old JBB alot. It's been banged up some. Gear ripped out two times, and the firewall ripped out once. Almost all because of dead sticks. With my old G26 I might add. My YS on my Mayhem runs great thats why I bought another one for the BB. The power of the things is scary when they're running well. I'm going to try some 30% nitro and see if that will help.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:59 PM
barnesracing

GUY'S if you ever get a chance to to fly with RANDY RACER it's a must !!! he can put on a real show with a big boy or his big yak and i do mean show, he has a great bunch of guys to fly with down there. I know i will be making the trip down there if he will have us back.....

THANK'S KEITH
Old 06-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

Hey Keith,

Glad to meet you out at Mac's place on Sunday......What a day we had eh? I think it's fair to say we got to see a little of everything fly that day!

Good to see you made it back to Indy alright......Now what's this I hear about you having 17 planes! [X(]
Old 06-11-2007, 10:05 PM
randy racer

17 planes, i think he is a collector. haha! not bad on the sticks either.
it would be cool if we all could get together so we could put faces to the names here. i had a great time meeting your family keith and flying with you. looking forward to the next time.

randy i cut nogyro's tail racer
Old 06-12-2007, 06:17 AM
barnesracing

FRANK
There will be alot of them for sale as i got the big bird BUG that i can't get out of my little mind . when i do get back i'm going to Bring the trl. for a few more planes. and i will bring combat plane with me . it was a great weekend and it was great to meet you all.

THANKS KEITH
Old 06-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: randy racer

randy i cut nogyro's tail racer
Now how did I know something like this was going to be in this post! [sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 06-12-2007, 06:48 PM
randy racer

sorry frank the devil made me say that. lol!

randy i feel so bad racer
Old 06-12-2007, 08:11 PM
barnesracing

RANDY
Don't forget i was there, and you did not feel bad at all.

KEITH
Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 PM
randy racer

Hahahahahahahahahahahhah.......................... ..gasp........................................haha hahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!

randy
Old 06-15-2007, 01:53 PM
dougwill

Four more awsome flights. No problems with YS 110. Good power, good idle and no deadsticks. Sweetest plane I have ever flown. Too bad Morris Hobbies is out of BBs. I could have sold a couple for him after my flights.

Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.