Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 ARF .60

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 ARF .60

Old 01-19-2005, 09:47 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 ARF .60

Looking for some folks who have experience with this plane. What engine do you use, and is there enough room in the fuse for a smoke system. How does it fly, what is the wing loading, etc...
Old 01-19-2005, 11:50 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 ARF .60

I just bought one, and am still in the finishing stages.. I've been rather disappointed with it to be honest. I've got a list of missing hardware, the instructions are just plain wrong in some steps, and the covering was in poor shape when I received the plane, adhesive lots of adhesive all over the plane, several areas where the parts rubbed together in the box are now permanently dull. If I were to do it again I would buy the DP ultimate and spend the extra $99..

I'm using a YS 1.20, not sure how much room is required for a smoke system but I think it can be done. I ditched the elevator pushrod and put in two elevator servos and two separate pushrods, I had to install brackets throughout the fuse to the back so they wouldn't flex.

My horizontal stab is 1/4" higher on one side than the other. This may have been my fault while assembling it but I'm not sure how I would have been able to correct it anyway because it's such a tight fit.

I built one from a kit about 10 years ago and it was a great flyer, everyone says this plane (the arf) is great in the air... hopefully it won't disappoint... I'm rather bummed right now because I had higher hopes for it, but hey it was designed over a decade ago and it looks like they not changed a thing..
Old 01-20-2005, 05:50 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I built the kit in 1991, kept the plane for 10 years & 1100 flights. It weighed 9.5 lbs dry and had an OS 1.08 ( good choice ). Other than wishing for more power once in a while, it was PROBABLY the best flying, best landing plane I have had in my 20 year stint. If the ARF is anything like my kit, you'll love it.

I have built / assembled about 50 planes over the years and just about 100% of them needed some tweaking to get the stab in alingment. I would have gone to whatever lengths were necessary to get it right, makes a big difference, especially in this kind of plane. You cut, fill, recover, whatever it takes, it's worth the effort......... Good luck.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:16 AM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

Hello,
I am putting together the ARF version now.... I like the Goldberg planes, but as usual there are some things that arent clear, or right for that matter.....no different than any of the other manufacturers planes though. I am not to thrilled with the way the cable and rods come through the plane...should get yourself some pushrod exit guides so that after time, the cables and rods dont wear through the wood and covering ( wouldnt wear much, just would look neater ).
My ARF was in fine condition when unpacked, covering was tight, and nothing rubbed anything else, so all was good there.....
Good luck
Old 01-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Agman29

I have one right now, and it is the best flying plane that I have. I know that everybody always says that, but you have to try it for yourself. I am running an OS 120 four stroke and it has more than enough power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44280.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	217950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30267.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	217951  
Old 01-20-2005, 05:19 PM
rcmiket

I've built the kit a few times and now own the ARF. Went together great. The cowl, pants and the gear are far better than the crap that came with the kit. The plane flys great with a 91 2 stoke. I've had no problems with this plane.-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83604.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	218129  
Old 01-26-2005, 02:51 AM
rstearman
My Feedback: (185)

I have a built kit and I'm just finished the ARf. I had a YS 140L in the kit built one and it was a little too much engine for the plane, if thats possible. The Afr, I had some issues with, the elevator control rods did not work out right when I built them as per the plans. So I tossed them, and went with dual rear mounted mini servos (futaba 9601?) and ran a pull pull system on the rudder. That is the way it should have been designed in the plane. I also had the same problems with the covering be rubbed dull in curtain areas but, once I got the plane all together it looked great and was not that noticeable. Another thing I changed, was the top wing mount, I epoxied the wing nuts to the bottom side of the post, so I can thread the allen screws for the top of the wing down. This makes it a lot easier to put the top wing on and off. The engine I have mount on the Arf is a YS 110 with a 16/6 prop. CG was right on as per the plans.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Gry101
My Feedback: (8)

I built the kit last year. Power is a YS120SF and the bird weighs 10 pounds. I have a Slimline smoke muffler and a 10oz tank for smoke. I use a TME smoke pump. This combo puts on a good show and has unlimited vertical on a 17x6 APC at 9100 PRM on 20/20.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:28 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Gry101, I can't see how your engine puts out enough heat to smoulder the oil enough to smoke. I'm using a Saito 1.20 with a pre-heat coil in the muffler and it's a waste of time. I'm at 4500 feet elevation here in Cache Valley, Utah. I get better results just running my engine rich. Also, where's your flying site at ? I did'nt know Ojai area had one. MM.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:33 AM
camss69

UPDATE!

Maidened the Ultimate today. I ended up adding 3oz of weight to the tail, going with separate elevator servos, changed the pushrods for elevator to Sullivan semi-flex. YS started right up no problems, low end seemed pretty well set ( I just got it back from YS service and they did a GREAT job on this engine) Set the high speed needle and off she went. 2 clicks of right and 2 clicks of down had her flying hands off strait and level. The YS was rumbling along nicely running just a header with no muffler. Ahhh what a sound!!! Anyway a couple circuits, some hammerheads, split-S, checked stall characteristics and in for landing. .... this thing lands soooo nice, just bring her in with a click or two of power and go to idle just above the runway and it settled in for the most gentle landing I've ever made. Sweet!!

Second flight I tried some knife edge and it seems to require a lot of roll coupling and quite a bit of up elevator. I need to change the pushrods from the bottom wing to the top for ailerons to 4-40 rod, the 2-56 bends too easily. Vertical was unlimited with an APC 16x6.

I'm quite happy with it. Still a bit disappointed with the condition it arrived in but really happy with the end results.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:21 AM
twistr

Cam: Thanks for that report! My kit hasn't been started yet but I'm tucking all of these posts/tips away for when the build begins all the way to the point of maiden!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Gry101
My Feedback: (8)

MM,

The Slimline pitts muffler gets plenty hot to get great smoke. It has its own built in preheater.

We fly out at Lake Casitas, way out at the end. If you are in the area, drop in, we would love to have ya. Shoot me a n e-mail before you do so we can meet up and you do not get lost in the lake roads.

Andrew
Old 02-14-2005, 07:19 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

CAm, I have flown about 12 Ult bipes over the years. These are one of the best knife edging planes out there. I wonder if your incidence is off. Or maybe your using to much rudder throw.
The one I have now will pull to the canopy a little but needs no AILE correction.

Does anybody else have one that needs roll coupling?

David
Old 02-18-2005, 07:43 PM
Old RC Aviator

Cam,I have built a kit version and two ARF CG Ultimate Bipes and have had no problems with any of them. I even used a ST 2300 in the last one. (Kit built and lost in a crash. My fault) Just had to beef up the firewall. Flyers at Ft Rucker Alabama use the large Super Tiger engines in their Goldberg Ultimates. Unlimited performance. Sounds crazy but what the heck. You only live once. There is a bad kit in every production run and sounds like you got one. That or you are a real fussy builder.
Jay.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:52 PM
camss69

Hey fellas,

Well I haven't had a chance to fly the ultimate since the maiden, soooo.... on the knife edge stuff, it may just be a matter of me getting used to a different plane. My extra I roll over to knife edge and I have to hold full rudder to maintain level flight. The ultimate, I definately don't need full rudder and I probably had a bit more speed than I actually needed for knife edge again most likely due to being used to the extra. Soo I'll have to wait to get a few more flights on her before I really know for sure what's going on.

I don't consider myself a fussy builder, but missing hardware isn't really acceptable to me and I think the "y" pushrod setup is crap on a plane like this. I built the kit version also and changed it then too. I actually built and installed the Y rod and when I saw I did not have even deflection of both elevators I knew it had to go. Also I believe that the adheasive all over the plane was a freekin joke and if I did it again I would have sent the plane back. In the end however it did come out to be a good looking plane. I realize that some kits my get by below standards, and this may have been one of them. It was soo bad in my opinion that it should never have left the factory like that but hey I wanted to get it in the air so I kept it anyway. Like I said before I'm happy with it, but *when I have to do it again it will be the DP.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:48 AM
LeVap
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Agman29,
I bought the Saito 1.50 and I'm thinking about getting Ultimate biplane.
Do you still have it? I like CG Ultimate but I also like DP Ultimate.
I'd like to see one of those in action.I want to do some 3d stuff so I need good pullout from hover.
It does not have to be a rocket pullout:-)
I'm from Conway AR.
So i was thinking that I can go to see you flying sometimes,or you can come to Conway to fly with us.

Have a nice day.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:07 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

MormonMike, You should have no problem getting smoke out of that engine. Have you read this?

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=455]Got Smoke?[/link]
Old 10-20-2005, 06:19 PM
jucava

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just maiden my Ultimate this weekend, and what a sweet thing. Cam I must tell you that my knife edge was amazing, all biplanes has a little couple, I make sure that in my planes all the incidences were 0 yes 0 and I know the manual and web site say the horizontal stab. should be +2.5 but what the heck I make my choice to zero it and I'm happy.

I'm an instructor an a check pilot in my club and this is the first time that a plane don't need a single click of trimming, I have read about in magazines but I didn't believe this happen to real people; now I'm a believer.

The rolls very so axial and the loops so round it make me look like a much better pilot. I didn't replace the inter-ailerons pushrods to 4-40 but instead a put a carbon fiber tube over the pushrods to add stiffness(less weight and same outcome), my engine is a Saito 100 turning a Master Airscrew 15x6 and I also use 2 tail servos for the elevators and a pull-pull for the ruder. Also the CG is at 3" from the leading edge at the bottom wing root.

I change the cover didn't like the blue and yellow, and make it red, black and white bottom, I'll post some pictures latter, this process took me 10 months and I'm very happy with the results.

But the cherry on top of the cake was the flat spin, it was so incredible beautiful I almost cry so flat and spinning slowly very slowly, barely losing altitude. I love this plane, but I must confess I also love my Super Skybolt very much.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:21 PM
daveopam

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Try this with your Ult. Go into a verticle line and climb to about 150'. Then do a stall turn/hammerhead. When the plane falls over instead of putting the rudder to neutral throw your flat spin inputs into it. After two spins let everything go and pull out like normal.
This is easy to do and looks cool. Mine is a slow flat spinner like yours.

David
Old 10-22-2005, 08:27 AM
jucava

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try it today