Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Global Super Decathlon (Assembly) Scale Landing Gear

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Global Super Decathlon (Assembly) Scale Landing Gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 06:54 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Global Super Decathlon (Assembly) Scale Landing Gear

I added another picture to the last post, which shows the finished wing struts.

Here's what I used:
K&S 3/8th " Streamline tubing (front struts)
5/16th for the rear struts
1/4" the jury struts

2-56 bolt and nuts to secure the jury struts to the main struts

Old 03-15-2005, 09:57 AM
mimoore67

Servo Tray

Here you see that I have designed a new layout for the rudder, elevator and throttle. With an inverted engine, the throttle is now on the left side. For the rudder, I wanted to have the pull-pull system using the Du-Bro cable stuff. The rudder servo has to be centered for linear purpose for smoother operation.

The elevator servo has the output arm centered also over the centerline of the servo tray. The reason for this is that I am using a single Dave Brown Fiberglass rod, which will have a Y actuating the elevator halves using two 2-56 clevises. Here's what I learned! First determing the length of the fiberglass shaft, so it won't interfer with fuselage sides in the back and not run into anything near the front by the servo. Also, I used some 3/8th hardwood, to raise the height of the elevator servo, so it would clear the rudder servo and cables.

Once you get the proper length for the rod, take the two 2-56 threaded rods and determing their length, with the cap end for the fiberglass pushrod and slowly start spreading the two rods to make a V-shape. Insert the rod and try and move it back and forth out the openings, to make sure there is no binding. Once satisfied, drill holes in the figerglass shaft, except a 90 degree bend for both threaded rods. You'll notice, that I drilled mine in the exact location, which made for an extemely tight fit, which was almost impossible to put together. I would recommend staggering the two holes and cutting the 2-56 rods at different lengths for more room.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96879.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	244306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85574.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	244307  
Old 03-15-2005, 10:12 AM
IronCross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good.. You sure are putting a lot of work into it...
Old 03-15-2005, 10:53 AM
mimoore67

Thanks, I think I've become posessed, after seeing what some people have done with there ARF's! Last year, I was amazed what people were doing with G.P. Lancair! I think Scale bashing some of these ARF's is a good way to get a pretty scale plane, without all the hassle of scratch building, which I don't have time for!

Don't get wrong there nothing wront with building!
Old 03-15-2005, 11:01 AM
IronCross

I agree.. It helps set them apart from "run of the mill" ARF's also... I am getting ready to purchase a WM 60 size Mustang and add a few scale details to it.. Kits are getting expensive... More so then a lot of the ARF's... The Global Dec is a great in the air so that helps too... I also have the Seagull Dec and it is not the flyer the Global one is..
Old 03-15-2005, 11:43 AM
mimoore67

Funny, Great minds think a like! I have one of these that I scaled out! Awesome plane! O.S. 91 FS, inverted!!!! Detailed the cockpit!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:16 PM
IronCross

I like the sound of that "Great Minds" Wouldn't happen to have any pictures would you ?.. Especially the cockpit area ?...
Old 03-15-2005, 08:22 PM
mimoore67

Iron Cross, here's some pictures of my Midget Mustang. This model is actually about 30% scale, so I take it to some Giant Scale meets, I think it upsets some, because it's only 60 inch wing span. Great flyer though!!!! Highly Recommend!

I fiberglassed the center section and then stripped off the covering on the belly and used some white to simulate the real plane and the belly of a tiger. Also removed the covering from the center section of the wing and added some balsa sheeting over the fiberglass to make a nice transitions from the fuselage to the wing!

Name:	Bz78376.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	244486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26228.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	244487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47170.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	244488  
Old 03-15-2005, 08:35 PM
IronCross

Looks real good.. I like your pilot... I never realized that it was 30% scale... Neat.. That makes it IMAA legal as I understand it...
Old 04-08-2005, 11:32 AM
IronCross

Been awful quiet out there. Have we finished/flown the Decathlon yet ?.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:06 PM
mimoore67

Sorry, Not yet! Been on Spring Break with the family. Just got my 90 degree elbow for the exhaust, from http://www.pspec.com/

Made the pushrod for the elevators, out of a Dave brown fiberglass rod. Hopefully, today, we can make the pull-pull set up for the rudder. I made a new servo tray, to accomodate all the changes.

We're about a two-weeks away from the flying season, as our field is in a low area, and we usually can't drive down until May 1

I'll post some pictures early next week!

Thanks for you interest!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:43 PM
IronCross

Looking forward to the pictures and flight report
Old 08-10-2005, 09:03 PM
mimoore67

Okay, it's only been about four months since I last touched a RC plane! But as always I come back to my hobby. Been busy flying (full-size), family, ect...

Here's a shot of my wing struts, painted and you can also see some of my details like flying wires on the tail group! Hope to fly this plane in September!

Name:	Pn37071.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	308570  
Old 08-10-2005, 10:17 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 words: Awe-inspiring!
Old 08-11-2005, 07:17 AM
IronCross

Looking good Good to see you back... Been flying the heck out of mine... It is a good flying plane... With the .72 it almost has too much power.. I like em that way though.. I can putter around at 1;3 throttle or head straight up out of sight... Looking forward to
your flight report...
Old 08-20-2005, 04:28 PM
mimoore67

Been working every chance I get. This week I got the removable servo tray mounted and it looks like it will work fine. Here's a picture of the servo layout. Just got everything fitted and the throttle hooked up. (Note, not all the screws are in yet, if you notice, just wanted to get a picture up.)

I like the pull-pull on rudder as it's my preferred method, but with these smaller ARF's there's not much room, compated the 1/4 scale and 120 size I usually fly. But I'm enjoying these smaller planes!

Still hopping to get her in the air by the end of the month!

Name:	Fd91212.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	312835  
Old 09-07-2005, 09:47 PM
mimoore67

Okay, so I lied, it's not done!

Here's a shot of my flying wires and you can see on top of the wing the scale sky light in the wing, that I tried to replicate. I used some metalic paper I found at the sewing/craft store. I used some spray adhesive and then cut out some yellow covering to make a frame. It's not perfect, but from 5 feet away, it looks good.

I'm working and hope to be flying soon!

Name:	Ge95078.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	321170  
Old 09-08-2005, 08:01 AM
IronCross

Looking real nice.. Still flying mine on and off.. It is a nice flying plane.. Giving some serious consideration to recovering mine this winter... Lots of patches on mine now from the "ChinaCote" covering coming aprart etc...
Old 09-08-2005, 02:43 PM
trdexter

Hope you show some video footage of the maiden flight.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:19 AM
CVTEFLYER

mimoore67

Wow, great looking plane you have there. I was just at the hobby shop today and considering getting one too. I could not help but notice your tail wheel, what brand is it... or did you fabricate this one too? Very nice fabricated wing struts.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:49 AM
mimoore67

The tailwheel is a klett. I beleive there still around.

I found the web address for you!

www.klettplastics.com

Oh, the wing struts are very easy to make, just read the post and take your time. I think, it really sets this plane apart!
Old 09-09-2005, 10:36 PM
CVTEFLYER

mimoore67

Thanks a lot for the info. and sharing your building tips.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:41 AM
mimoore67

Okay, it's done other than a little tweaking here and there. I must say I do like the way it looks, from a scale perspective.

In the picture, you'll see my exhaust setup. I bought a tap and had a machinest friend make up a short stack, which is hooked up to a the 90 exhaust elbow, I bought from http://www.pspec.com/ .

I used the stock tank and sulivan fueler which is accessed through cooling holes in the bottom of the cowling. The glow plug is also accessed through the bottom.

Overall, I think the kit construction is good, the covering is probably the weakest part of the plane. The scale appointments like the wing struts supplied are just goofy looking, so that's why I went with my own streamlined ones that I made, which were easy to make and now I learned a few things to do different when making the next set of wing sturts.

The next project which should be here this week, is a 1/5 Scale 84" World Models J-3 Cub, which I will convert to a Super Cub with flaps and I have ordered a Cowling from Ikon Northwest.

Name:	Fc90205.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	353469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53230.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	353470  
Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 AM
JoeVen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mimoore67

Mounting the Cowl
I had to break down and call for help when it came time to mount the engine. I was trying to position the engine first and have that determine where to mount the cowl. I called my RC mentor and drove down to his house today to mount the engine. He’s preferred method for engine mounting is to position the cowling, and making sure it looks right, as far as square if any stripes are lined up. I used the #4 Threaded Inserts by Ohio Super Stars to secure the cowl. These plastic inserts, give you a solid and hard surface to secure and tighten down screws. (See picture) I drilled one hole on the cowl and then repositioned the cowl and taped in place. Once I was satisfied I drilled the first hole and removed the cowl. Now you drill a larger whole depending on which “Threaded Insert” you using and drill the fuselage. Once drilled all you do is place the insert into the fuselage and use some thin CA and it’s rock hard.

Now that the cowling mounted, it on to mounting the engine and in my opinion takes two people. So one-person positions the engine with the cowling on and the other person, using the spinners back plate as a guide to equally align with the cowling. Now the trick is to try and get a long pencil or what we used was a flexible drill of about the same size as the engine mount to reach through the opening in the cowling to try and get a mark through the engine mount. Once you get your mark, then we removed the cowl and engine mount and drilled the first whole. With first hole drilled, we put everything back on and snug up the “one” hole with a 6-32 blind-nut, and put on the cowl. If everything goes right, they you should tighten up the “one” bolt and mark the three remaining holes and suck up the blind nuts into the firewall. Here’s what it looks like.

Old but a pretty good post...For those having a hard time triying to find Ohio Superstar´s online catalog it seems it doesn´t exist , even manufacturer´s web site...! Tower offers a close look : http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBN44&P=SM