Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GLobal P47 Thunderbolt

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GLobal P47 Thunderbolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 02:08 AM
markdam
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GLobal P47 Thunderbolt

Idid a search and want NEW info... anybody have one of these planes? what engine???? I bought mine impulse and am wondering to build it or trade it.. I have a fresh from clarence lee K&B .61 with his mods i was going to use.... is this enough? those motors are pretty strong after Clarence ports them... any and all info is appreciated!!!!!!!!! Thanks
Old 09-09-2002, 03:32 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Global T-Bolt

My friend is flying one with a Magnum 91 4stk and it hauls butt!
A very stable plane but lands kinda fast.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:55 PM
Flyguy1791
My Feedback: (4)

I have one with the Saito .80 up front. The engine is still breaking in , but The plane is definately on rails. 3 point landings are fast .

I think if I put a bigger prop on the front ( 15-6 ) maybe I can get it to flote in alittle easier so some say , I have to try.

Nice plane overall, my belly cover screws vibrated out while running engine up so use a little CA on them .

Have to fly this plane all the way , so it keeps you on your toes...
After my Saito breaks in alittle more I will feel more comfortable.

Tony
Old 09-10-2002, 04:16 AM
markdam
My Feedback: (15)

Default POST PICS

id love to see some of your birds if you have pics post em!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2002, 01:47 AM
Flyguy1791
My Feedback: (4)

Dont have a ditigal camera , But my neighbor does ...

Will be glad to try this weekend if I can remind myself to get it ,
but will .
Old 09-12-2002, 12:34 PM
bbflyer

i had one and sold it to buddy, it flies very nicely and is very easy to see in the air with the red ring on the cowl. It actually looks bigger in the air than it actually is. We have this plane a tad nose heavy if I remember right, a bomb drop is in the belly for paint balls, missed my buddies old van and hit another club members car, lol. Does very well with a os 70fs. Wire gear needs to be bent forward some to let it taxi is its only downfall, oh it wrinkels up kind of bad to.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:35 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Global P-47

I built and flew one with K & B .65, with Perry pump and carb. It flew great, thou not real fast. It landed a bit quicker then my World P-51D, and it will stall out if you get to slow on landing...and how I lost mine.

I went with Robart heavy duty retracts, and Robo Struts. Do build up the retract gear hard wood mounts first, for this is one weak area of the kit. It handled well in the air, and very predictable. It was solid on approach too, but I just got to slow, dead stick and stuffed it in hard. I was also not real pleased with the canopy, for it did not look very scale for a razerback model. It looked great in the air thou...

It also would high speed stall and suggest you explore this end of the flight envelope high up. So far I can say that most Global WW-II fighters have this same airfoil and it will high speed snap on you. I had a Global Skyraider that was powered with a Lee .61 high speed snap into a zillion peices. It was a solid kit, do not get me wrong, but I had to fly at 1/2 to 2/3 power to stay out of that problem...low power high speed dives created the same problem, and how I totaled my model. I did contact Global sent pictures too. That was my first Skyraider, my second skyraider folded a wing, do to lack of glue on the wood joints, and sent pictures to Global...Hobby Shack. I never heard from them, and when I called them, was more or less blowen off. I do not buy Global models any more.

I have a Lanier P-47N, and a close clone to the Global model in some respects. It has a built up wing, not balsa covered foam, as Globals P-47. I have a Lee .61, with Perry pump and carb., a 16 oz. fuel tank, Robo Struts and Robart , HD mechanical retracts. An awesome flyer, no high speed stall, flies like on rails, fast as all the .46 powered P-51's at our field, glides well, ground handles great and I use a 13 X 6, Master Airscrew wood simitar prop. I can not say enough good things about this model, and very pleased. I did build up the retract wood rails on this model too, and a common fault in most ARF retract models that I've seen. That Perry pump and carb. gives a very low idle speed, and good power. I've not a hicup with that combo in over 50 flights...but I'm partial to Clarence Lee's reworked K & B engines. Just super motors.

To be fair to Global, a good buddy of mine in our club has a global F4U, and thou it does not have retracts, has no bad flight conditions to report. In fact flys very well, and looks very scale, comaired to other F4U ARF's I've seen. A good model, and it flies with a .68, and would recomend it to any one.

Soft landings always,

Bob of Maui
Old 11-29-2002, 11:43 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Default Global P-47

Concur with what the other folks said. Mine has a Magnum 61 2 stroke and is more than enough power and speed for me. A friend has a Magnum 75 on his and it's significantly faster (hotter landings too). I put retracts on it and the second landing one collapsed when the ply mount gave way. Beefed both mounts up in the wing, no problems since. Added no weight and it almost floats in for landings. Hobby People still carry this, but with the new P-47 by their Sports Aviation, I'm hoping they blow this one out (I'll buy at least 3). Contact me if you have any other questions.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:18 AM
flyer2k

Hello Markdam--Re: Global's P47--It's a good plane. Your K&B .61 should power it just fine. I have an OS .61FX in mine with a Slimline pitts muffler in it. I mounted my engine sideways so my exhausts pipes go straight down. Very neat looking. You'll need a 12x6 prop (any brand) at least to clear that big cowl in order to get good thrust. My 16 oz. tank gets me 15 min. of air time easily with about 2 mins. in reserve(at 40-75% throttle). I only use full power for take offs. My "Jug" weighs in at 10 lbs. Wing loading is 33 oz. per sq. ft. HEAVY! Just like a real P-47. Either come in 'hot' when landing or take the time to learn how to fly it slowly. Make sure your engine is tuned for reliability. If you flame out, the glide is going to be very steep. I use Powermaster fuel 10-15% nitro. Balance this plane just right. Tail heavy is a big no-no. And nose heaviness will make landings a dreaded chore. Good luck, hope these tips help. My Jug is more than 2 years old, colored olive drab over gray with invasion stripes & white european ID bands.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:54 PM
rockmon

I have to rebuild mine this winter because of a flame out on take off. I will say it is one tough plane, when it flamed on me it went through some white pines and flopped on its back on the road on the other side of the trees, total damage was one wing tip, the tip of the vert stab and the fuse has a crack in it even the canopy is ok and the tips broke so clean they will be a snap to fix. The plane flies nice and as said above tracks like it's on rails but does not like to fly slow at all, just bend the metal gear forward and it won't tip over as easy, I had to bend mine so far that it made the plane look goofy but it was better than going and picking the plane off of the runway all the time.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:49 PM
48chebbie
My Feedback: (58)

i have one of these,and i have a GMS .47 on it and it is a bullet! went the fixed gear route,and it came out just over 5lbs. flies great at half throttle. still fast.i also found that it had really nasty high and low speed stalling characteristics,then i moved the CG about a 1/4 of an inch forward,and it totally changed the way this plane flies. but,it still lands hot,just like a warbird. later
Old 08-06-2003, 04:32 PM
p-47d-25

Default Balance point

Where is the balance point on this plane? I picked one up from a guy who was too chicken to fly it. Brand new with Magnum .61, $200.00. Good deal to me. Anyway, I want to make sure everything is set up correctly before I attempt to fly it. Does this make me chicken?
Oh well. I just want a quick, fun plane to fly while I am in school and working. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 08-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Balance point for P-47

Dear Nick;
The Balance point for the Global P-47 from the assembly manual, page 18, under Balancing, calls for a 3-3/4 " aft of the leading edge-at the fuselage sides. 3/8 " forward or aft of this place is acceptable. It also states not to balance........ further back then 4-1/8 " from the leading edge-at the fuselage sides.

Control Throws;

Ailerons 7/16" - High rate 1/4" - Low rate
Elevator 1/2" 3/8"
Rudder 1/2" 3/8"

I used a bit more rudder and these are good starting points.

My model had a K & B .65 for power and found I was able to high speed stall at high rates on elevator. It is a solid model and well built...accept for the retractable landing gear rails. You would be advised to build up this area before you fly, if you use retracts. I would also suggest that you use the largest wheels you can fit and toss out the foam wheels and go with Du Bro.

Soft landings always,

Bobby of Maui
Old 08-06-2003, 06:42 PM
p-47d-25

Thanks Bob. I asked the guy if he had the manual that came with it. He says there wasn't any. (I'm sure there was)

I appreciate the info.

Nick
Old 08-06-2003, 07:35 PM
48chebbie
My Feedback: (58)

i am gonna give ya an "amen brother" on the elevator! i found that mine does everything,climb,bank, and flare on landing,just fine with 5/16" up-down on low rates and 1/2" maximum on high rates on the elevator. mine flies great,and actually pretty damn fast with fixed gear and powered with a GMS .47BB. 2-stroke. only thing i didn't like was the drab grey. i stripped all but the very bottom of the fuse,and recovered with flat OD green monokote and addes stars and bars,and invasion stripes under the bars. also used KRYLON camo paint to paint the cowl,in green with tan nose ring. enjoy,later.