Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Would a Sr. Falcon ARF be over my head as a first plane to learn on??

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Would a Sr. Falcon ARF be over my head as a first plane to learn on??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Nightstalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a Sr. Falcon ARF be over my head as a first plane to learn on??

Reason I'm asking is that I recently received a Falcon 56 MarkII kit (circa 1988) from an old ARMY buddy of mine. He built the fuse up way back when (looks pretty good) and everything else appears to be complete and in good shape in the box. Problem is, I haven't built a kit this big (let alone an RC) before. I built lots of C/L 1/2a stunt and combat stuff when I was a kid in the 70's - couldn't even think about RC on my paper route income back then. But now that I make (slightly) more than a paper boy these days and Iv'e comadeered a free classic Goldberg kit, I'm ready to get into the game! I posted a help me if you can post in the Begginers Forum with questions regarding differences between the older Mark II compared to the current MarkIII of today. Mainly the lack of an instruction manual with digital pics etc. Got some great feedback and found out that one of the original test pilot /RC consultants for CG lives on the other side of town from me and offered to answer any questions I have - what luck.
The impatient side of me, however, wants someting to fly NOW while I get this older Mark II Falcon built.
Got a brand new OS .46AX that would be good for a Sr. Falcon, a new Futaba T7CAP Xmitter and an AMA ticket on the way. I'll join a club out here when I've got a flyable plane - be it the Falcon 56 when I finish it or more likely the Sr. when I pick one up, as long as it's not an unwise decision on my part. I like the bigger-ness of the Sr. but don't know if a fully symetrical wing is the right thing for a new guy - even though I will absolutely have a competent flight instructor at whichever club I decide on.
Thanks...
Old 02-08-2005, 06:29 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Would a Sr. Falcon ARF be over my head as a first plane to learn on??

With a competent instructor and the .46 it'll be an excellent trainer. I learned on a fully symmetrical airfoiled trainer (TF Headmaster) and the neat thing is once you have soloed and built up some time, you can stick a .60 or .90 in that Sr Falcon and rock and roll. You'll be able to progress to your "second plane" without actually buying another one.

I say go for it. Thousands of people sucessfully learned on the Falcon series.

Don
Old 02-08-2005, 06:38 PM
FlyHard

Default RE: Would a Sr. Falcon ARF be over my head as a first plane to learn on??

Plane will be fine but please get familiar with RC on one of the simulators. It sure makes easier on the instructor. Also use a buddy box to start
Old 02-08-2005, 08:00 PM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

I am one of those thousands that learned on a Falcon. (Falcon 56, circa 1978!!) And this was in the day's before CA, computer radios, simulators, and buddy boxes. ("Here! You take it!!") I built two of these planes. Don't give it a second thought. With or without the simulator, definitely learn through an instructor. An instructor isn't just someone that flies well. It is someone that can explain why he flies well.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Nightstalker

'preciate the input. I have been flying a Firebird Commander since last summer - got it down pretty good, for only having 2 channel control - and I got a Wattage Decathlon 3 ch. electric RTF for Christmas that I'm starting to get the hang of. Much more fun with 3 ch. control. No bad crashes yet (unlike my Firebird!! which is still alive and kickin to my disbelief), but the more I practice and concentrate on the fundementals, the more inuitive it gets - plus these little park flyers are convenient to fly and cheap to replace parts - wish balsa was this robust.
I do realize the glow arena is a totally diffferent ball game, but I fully intend on using a buddy box with an experienced instructor(s) until I get it down. Until then, I'll keep plugging away with these litttle park flyers - It'll make a 69" wing span plane with a screaming .46 engine (and a REAL xmitter) seem all the cooler!! Gotta start somewhere though.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Out here.
Todd
Old 02-08-2005, 09:22 PM
flyrcplanes

I learned to fly on a Sr. Falcon 26 years ago. Believe it or not I had a Super Tiger 35 plain bearing engine in the plane. It took all the runway to get airborne but once flying it was great.
It landed like a dream and was a very stable plane. I don't think I could have had a better trainer. I started out on a Top Flight Freshman Trainer and never did land that airplane. Once I switched to the Sr. Falcon I did everything in one day. Enough said. Enjoy
Old 02-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Nightstalker

Thanks Wayne (you don't seem crazy...) I will probably get the Sr. Falcon ARF this week sometime and take my time putting it together right and take it from there. From what I've read and heard about these new OS .46's, it should run strong and be plenty good without having to invest in a bigger engine in the near future - but boy 4strokes sound nice!!

Out Here
Old 02-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Sherman

Go for it. I learned on a senior falson, as did many of the others at the field because our intructor recommended it. I've has several over the years because I liked them so well. Just flew my new senior falcon, and it flew great, just as i remembered. This time, is took out almost all of the dihedral, which was kind of a pain, but pays off in maneurability. For your first time, though, stick with the dehidral called for. It will still suprise you how well it does the basic stunts after you learn to fly. It is a relaxing plane to fly. We originally flew them with
60 engines (fox eagles), but this new plane flies with a TT 46 and everyone is suprised at the speed and performance. I really don't know why someone would want to go to a bigger engine, but to each his own. Happy flying.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:02 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chevelle

I am one of those thousands that learned on a Falcon.
And I think that's the same one that I first soloed with!

Yes, as long as you have a good instructor, the Falcon will be great
Old 02-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

When I saw the SRF ARF I just had to have one! Now that it's in my shop I cannot get over how pretty it is. It is not only a great flyer but the factory did an outstanding job building mine. It is perfect in every way! I am a very observant, and picky modeler btw. I love that they were smart enough to produce it in the original box color scheme to maximize the nostalgia. It is really too nice a plane to train on...but they are readily available again thanks to the CG company so go ahead. I hope everybody buys one so they will think about offering other classic CG designs. How about a Skylane 62!!!? Or Skylane 42 for electric!? Email them now and suggest it.

Enjoy your Falcons,

Yak
Old 02-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Nightstalker

ORIGINAL: Yak18

When I saw the SRF ARF I just had to have one! Now that it's in my shop I cannot get over how pretty it is. It is not only a great flyer but the factory did an outstanding job building mine. It is perfect in every way! I am a very observant, and picky modeler btw. I love that they were smart enough to produce it in the original box color scheme to maximize the nostalgia. It is really too nice a plane to train on...but they are readily available again thanks to the CG company so go ahead. I hope everybody buys one so they will think about offering other classic CG designs. How about a Skylane 62!!!? Or Skylane 42 for electric!? Email them now and suggest it.

Enjoy your Falcons,

Yak
...And nostalgic I am - just not too good with Monok$te (yet!!!) Can't remember what I liked most about the 70's... the dope or the tissue
Old 02-09-2005, 08:37 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

I learned on a Falcon 56 in 1965.
It is a great trainer,
Dennis
Old 02-09-2005, 09:36 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I started with a Falcon 56 MKII with an OS 35 FSR on it. Great plane, only wish I would have gotten the 45 for it back then.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:44 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Its interesting reading all of this.

Back in the 70's when I asked folks what trainer to buy, I was simply told "buy a falcon". SR or 56.

It was by far one of the best trainers available. Was definately the most popular among model instructors.

I'm trying to figure out when it was suddenly not the best trainer. Closest I came to an answer was 'when goldberg made the Eagle 63'. That was a good plane. Its only advantage over the Falcons was that it was easy (idiot proof) to build. Had a very simple flat-bottom wing and flat control surfaces so it could be built flat on a building board. It definately did not fly in a superior manner.

In my mind, the Sr. Falcon is still #1 of all time. And the 56 is not far behind. Up until a couple of years ago I always had a Falcon in the stable for use in fun-flys, and just for plain fun. Made great sea planes too

No bad traits at all, kit was easy to build. This new ARF version should be just as good.

Just drift in though

Bob
Old 02-09-2005, 04:49 PM
hankpajari
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like what you have will be perfect.

I suggest you find your club now and join. You will get a lot of helpful tips on building and setting your airplane up. By the time you are ready to go you will be lined up with an instructor and won't have any unpleasant surprises.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:53 PM
bruce88123

I learned to fly on a Falcon 56 back in the 70's and when I got back into the hobby a while back I got a MKII to re-learn on and still have it. I take it out on days when I just want a nice easy flying plane I don't even have to think about that practically flies itself. Your Sr and 56 will both fly great and give you many years of flight if cared for. Good equip choices too.

Enjoy

Bruce
Old 02-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Nightstalker

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys! Haven't read anything negative about these CG Falcon birds as of yet (and really didn't expect to)... "Falcons are garbage... build yourself a SPAD... best way to learn is to crash plastic and crash it often... and don't bother with all that over pri$ed new-fangled gear... and I ain't never needed no hotdog instructor... best way to learn is by yo'self with lots o' whiskey and duct tape... AMA... SHMAY-M-A... save your $58... for more booze and plastic" No seriously - I am chomping at the bit to get underway with my flight training and doing it right! Kinda forgot how much I like the feeling of balsa dust in my nostrils... lovin it!

Out here (again)
Old 02-10-2005, 11:29 PM
mikejdad
My Feedback: (39)

The first rc plane I every built. My son learned to fly with it and I am also thinking of buying the new arf. A good flyer similar to the Sig Kadet. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:11 AM
bruce88123

I enjoy building but balsa dust makes me sneeze. Oh well.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:00 AM
BAMAFLY

Falcons, Lt-40, CG Eagle, Avistar, maybe a couple of more are all-time RC classic planes, IMHO.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:09 AM
BAMAFLY

Falcons, Lt-40, CG Eagle, Avistar, maybe a couple of more are all-time RC classic planes, IMHO.