Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes 1/3 Scale Pitts Special

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes 1/3 Scale Pitts Special

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 01:20 AM
R/CDragonfly-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes 1/3 Scale Pitts Special

Hey skypilot,
Any problems starting your BT-50?
I just purchased a Fuji bt-50 and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail. What is the distance from the firewall to the back of the spinner on your pitts? (1/2 throttle good vertical great!) What prop are you using?
Crash how far back did you move your CG?(back from which leading edge) How much right thrust is needed?
Old 10-02-2002, 02:32 AM
CrashMeister
My Feedback: (4)

I added two thin washers for the extra right thrust. I did not check the CG, simply moved one of the batteries back to under the canopy (from about 5" in front of that). I will be taking the CG shifts slow because of the short tail moment.

Unfortunately, the winds have not been favorable for flying the Pitts, so I have not been able to test the changes yet.

Craig,
Old 10-02-2002, 03:55 AM
skyypilot-RCU

Dragonfly, I had no trouble starting the Fuji. I did however use a high-torque starter the first couple of times. I have not needed it since. Engine does need to be good and wet when you crank it. I am using a 19X8 wooden scimitar. I am very happy with this prop. When i get more time on the sticks, I may try others. I will measure the distance to the spinner tomorrow as I can't get to the plane right now. I can tell you with the standard extension on the engine and the box removed, it fit the cowl with no modifications needed. I also put the battery and reciever in a big piece of foam in the center under the canopy and it balanced right on their reccomendation(5-3/8") with no added weight. It flies very well at this setting. By the way I mounted a mini servo right on the firewall just above the carb. Throttle rod is only a couple of inches long that way. The Fuji makes way plenty power. The guys at my field were quite impressed when I first fired it up. You will be very happy with this engine. The distance from firewall to spinner backplate is 7".
Old 10-03-2002, 08:29 AM
R/CDragonfly-RCU

Thanks skypilot.
What spinner did you use and did you have to buy the spinner adapter screw from Fuji for $38?
Did you mount your bt50 with the spark plug down, to the side or up?
I thought putting the plug down makes motors harder to start. Is that true for gas engines?
Old 10-04-2002, 02:09 PM
knpjdad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by CrashMeister
After 5 flights I put mine on the workbench and added right thrust; reinforced the firewall, fixed a split wheelpant and moved the CG back a bit.

I have yet to fly it after the mods. We'll see how it does. Power is a BME 50.

Craig.
Hey Craig: I'm just getting mine together... already have put a G-62 up front... What mods did you do to the firewall to get it reinforced. I did what the planes said and put the (2) 4x4x1/8" ply up front and bolted it on... Is that enough or do I have to do something else? I don't need the G-62 taking off WITHOUT the pitts in tow!!

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2002, 06:07 PM
skyypilot-RCU

Dragonfly, I am using the spinner that came with the kit. You have to trim the prop opening a little to get it to clear the 19X8, but so far, so good. I have heard that some folks had problems with this spinner, but so far mine is holding up. I mounted the engine inverted(plug down) and it has not caused any problems.
Old 10-06-2002, 03:48 PM
GeeBee_R2
My Feedback: (1)

Default ST 4500

Hey guys, I also would like to purchase a 1/3 pitts special. I will have a ST 4500 to install in it. I know in is a thirsty engine, but with some mixing I here you can get a gallon of fuel for this engine down around $4.00 a gallon. Is this a good engine for this plane? Does anybody have a 4500 in one of these?
Thanks for any suggestions, Gene
Old 11-13-2002, 09:32 AM
ThaFlyer
My Feedback: (16)

Originally posted by skyypilot
Dragonfly, I am using the spinner that came with the kit. You have to trim the prop opening a little to get it to clear the 19X8, but so far, so good. I have heard that some folks had problems with this spinner, but so far mine is holding up. I mounted the engine inverted(plug down) and it has not caused any problems.

I bought the same combo. What prop 19X8 are you useing on the Fuji 50? Im have a MENZ and a Pro Zinger 22X8 I am going to try.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:42 PM
skyypilot-RCU

I'm using a MA Scimitar. I'm thinking of going up to a 20 x 8 or 20x10 to cut the revs down a little and get a little braking effect. I'm getting around 8600 RPM's with the 19x8.
Jim
Old 11-13-2002, 03:46 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the supplied spinner with both my Pitts and PW Extra--I did remove the tower that the spinner bolts to and got a long nut to screw into my threaded prop bolt. I feel better about this.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:19 PM
megabuck
My Feedback: (-1)

Default re great planes pitts biplane

I see you are thinking of a pitts, I have a pitts special i want to sell that is in new cond, I see you wanted a gas engine mine is not gas it has a new os 160 in it and it also comes with all servos, Let me know thanks jim
Old 11-14-2002, 12:43 AM
pittsman

power for GREAT PLANES PITTS

BME 50 with pitts style in cowl smoke muffler
swinging a 22 X 10 BOLLY prop

AWESOME COMBO
Old 05-15-2003, 10:24 PM
spitgy

Hi Guys - I am thinking about a 1/3 GP Pitts and do not want to get into gas. In the collective wisdom out there, will a Moki 2.1 work? I plan to use it for aerobatics but no 3D stuff.
thanks
tfacr
Old 05-17-2003, 01:52 AM
Rambo-RCU

Default Pitts

Hey guys I bought the Pitts and am really impressed with the quality.I wondering though did you put in all 4 alleron servos or did you just use 2 as is also approved by GP. Seems like it may be hard to hide those upper servo wires. Any suggestions on the dual servos for elevator as i don't use computer radios. Also i will probably be starting out with a Q42 as I have a newly rebuilt one on hand but may very well move up to a little more power later.Thanks.P S. Don't laugh but for cheap thrills I like the 4 star 120 with Ryobi power and as Dubro simple smoke system,even with a two piece wing it only weighs about 14.5 Lbs.Try one for kicks there not unlimited but with a 16x10 apc on the front there no slouch either.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:12 PM
rfw1953

R/CDragonfly

I have the FUji 50 in mine and had to use the Fuji 64 prop hub extender even after placing a 1/8" piece of ply to the firewall for strength. I kept the firewall mounting box on mine. The standard prop hub that came with my engine was too long even if I hadn't used the extra ply to the firewall. There wasn't a short version for the 50 at the time. Fuji may have one now. If you use the 64 prop hub extender you will also need the prop bolt to match the 64 threads. Used the stock spinner, cut out a bit for the prop and also removed the stock mount and had a machinist drill a hole in the prop bolt so I could use a long bolt to mount the spinner into the prop bolt. This works much like the spinner adaptor when mounting the spinner to an OS 160. It sounds like AJF-2 and I did the same thing. The stock mount on the spinner didn't last long on mine. Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:12 PM
R/CDragonfly-RCU

Thanks Roger,
I never did get a spinner on mine. I bought one from cermark and after three tries the best they could do was to send me a very crooked prop nut that they insisted was good. The spinner wouldn't even screw on because the holes were so crooked. I just took the Fuji 50 out and am putting it on a 29% Edge I'm building.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:35 PM
Goldwing-RCU

Default GP Pitts W/Quadra 40/42

Rambo,

I was wondering if you put the Quadra 42 in the GP Pitts and if you did how does it perform? I too have a Quadra 40 (or 42 not sure which one it is) and would like to marry it with this plane. If you, or anyone else has any imput I would like to hear it BEFORE I put out the bucks for the plane. I do loops and rolls but really don't rip up the skys and never the hot shot 3-D stuff. This too would be my first Bi-Plane.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Rambo-RCU

Default q42

hey Goldwing i hav'nt put mine together yet but i'm very confident you'll be able to fly realistically much as the full scale would with the quadra.No you won't be able to go strait vert. but you'll have a ball with it and plus you can be saving up for that fugi or otherwise bigger engine.In closing your doing exactly what i'm doing and i'm not a bit skeptical.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:16 PM
searcher

I have a GP Pitts with a Brison 4.2 (~70cc) that is almost ready to go. I have to tie up a few loose ends and CG it. Woo Hoo!

I will be flying from a grass strip.

Do these have a tendency to ground loop or nose over?
Old 07-14-2003, 07:22 PM
R/CDragonfly-RCU

I fly from the grass and have never had any problems with this plane as far as nose overs or ground loops.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:02 AM
Rambo-RCU

Default firewall

I hav'nt put my GP Pitts together yet but was wondering is there any weaknessess in firewall or wings? A friend bought GP Giles and the first noseover produced a removed firewall which was glued with what looked like alphatic Resin glue. Any info apprecited. Thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 01:10 AM
NavyE6FE

Default Pitts engines

Hey guys I started my GP Pitts with the US 41 (probably equal to a Q42) turning a 20-10 and a 20-8, both these props would pull about 15 - 16 lbs thrust. The plane came out @ 18 pounds. I definitely had to fly the wing and use energy management but the plane was still flyable aerobatically and was not a hand full. I just recently put a Fuji 50 in it, more power, more vertical. I'm getting 18 lbs of pull at 6900 rpm on a Zinger Pro 20-8. Still not unlimited vertical but about 75-100 ft more than the 41 from level flt. I can't see putting anything bigger in it unless you just have to hover or go unlimited vertical.

Steve
Old 07-15-2003, 01:52 AM
rfw1953

Rambo,

I saw your post and thought I would provide the picture below. Unfortunately I crashed my Pitts this weekend. Ugly. Anyways, I did strengthen the firewall on mine and as you can see by the picture below the firewall held even with an angled hit to the grown that did more damage to the engine than to the firewall. The engine took the brunt of the force. Broke the spark plug, muffler exhaust tubes snapped right off. I was shocked to see that the firewall held in place.

More details and a crash picture on this thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...823&forumid=38]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	93933_11582.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	16350  
Old 07-15-2003, 03:18 AM
R/CDragonfly-RCU

Hey Navy try the Master Airscrew Simitar 19X8 I get unlimited vertical and it only costs $19.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:35 AM
ThaFlyer
My Feedback: (16)

Roger

How did you crash your pitts? I got mne in a spin the other day and almost lost it. It acted like I lost all control. I don't know if it stalled, lost battery, or los signal. Some how I managed to recover about 50 foot of the deck. I landed it and have been scared to take it up since.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.