Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Corby Starlet

Hi dgliderguy,
    Thanks for your thought and comments on the subject as well,it is always good to learn from others, I know you will enjoy your model as I did, here are some pictures of the full size by the way,hope you like.
    Take care

REGARDS

CHRIS WHITE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk27493.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	1408989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni25012.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	1408990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp34687.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	1408991  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jerrya,

Thanks for the questions about the Corby Starlet 38.50%.

This model when I flew the protype that I made and then later on the samples from the factory all flew about the same, the tailplane should be at zero degree's and the wing at 2 degree's. I had one model that I used to try differnt degrees of angle of the wing and went as high as 5 degrees on the wing just to see the effect on the model, the adjustment used bythe modelloris one method Itried but the best was to raise or lower the T/E of the wing as this meant I only had to remove or add material to the back of the fuse and you could not really see it as much as 1/2" gap on the L/E. The way the model comes out of the box it should not need any adjustment, the full size Corby has 2.5 degrees on the wing root and 1 degree at the tip. You should find the model will fly itself off the ground with very little effort from the engine and landing just seem to float for ever, I also buit in 1.0 degrees of wash out in the tip so the model is almost impossible to tip stall (but Iam sure if you try you might get it to tip stall)

Hope this helps.
    Best Reagrds

CHRIS WHITE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Many years ago, when SIG manufacturing was one of the premier kit providers with the best flying planes around, I bought and built many of their models, and in this instance the Astro Hog comes to mind.

I had a significant amount of dihedral which made it a pretty tame plane, whatever you did, as soon as you let go of the controls it would settle back to level flight. It also coupled agressively with the rudder and made knife edge a nightmare, plus a few other surprises. It was a great second plane for a modeler due to that stability, but it came up short on aerobatics.

I bought a second wing and built it without much dihedral at all, and suddenly I had a whole different Hog. Now my Astro-Hog went whole-Hog through the aerobatics.

I'm sure the full-scale Corby Starlet is a joy to fly for recreation, because that dihedral is going to make it a very stable bird. For the model it would have limited the aerobatic capabilities. As it says in the manual, this plane can easily exceed the full-scale in aerobatics, and I believe it. It was a good choice to reduce the dihedral, Chris.

~ Jim ~
    J.M. Surra, author of AERODYNAMIC and
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi, I love this site, I just brought a Starlet on Ebay already assembled with 5 servos an OS71 fs. All for $335.00 But no manual. So a quick scroll down RC Universe and there it is! Thanks heaps

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ANZAC,

Great to see you in here. You have no idea how lucky you are to have found that Starlet. They're not easy to come by, but maybe they're easier to find in Australia since they are (were?) made there.

Enjoy!

~ Jim ~
    T.I.T.O.R. - In early July of 1947, something crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone have a Cowl they want to get rid of?
    Chuck Carter AMA 94730 IMAA 3631 Clipped wing Coupe Brotherhood member #8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi There,

You will get some spares I think from here. Tates Performance Hobbies
    Toy and Hobby Retail, Importers & Wholesalers
    135 Shannon Ave Geelong West VIC 3218 Australia
    E Mail : eddie@tates.com.au
    MSN : eddieattates@hotmail.com
    Web : www.rcworld.com.au
    Phone : Bus. 03 52224201 Intl. 61 352 224201 Mob. 0438 521576
    Fax : 03 52231257 Itnl. 61 352 231257>>

REGARDS
    CHRIS WHITE
    >>

>>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ahhh, our Corby Starlet guardian angel sweeps in and helps us yet again!

Thanks, Chris!

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jim,

Always good to help a fellow Corby owner and I am alsolooking forward to my trip to the states in September to competer with my F4C Scale Corby in the US SCale Masters in Rosewood Indiana.

All the best

CHRIS WHITE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CJ-1

HI RB8,

I often thought about putting in a little deatil in that area,at the time the reason was that I wan'ted to keep my model the same as what the purchaser would get in the box, I see no reason why you could notÂ*leave out the floor,most of the strength is gained from the formers F2 which is the the former in front of the leading edge,F3 which is the instrument panel and F4 is the former located at the trailing edge of the wing and to top it off the ply doublers on the inside of the fuse should keep it all stable for strength.
    I have plenty pic's of the inside of the full size cockpit should you need a little help with some detail.

Good luck and nice chatting.

CHRIS WHITE

Say Chris, I was getting underway with the 38.5% Starlet and was wondering if you could share a few shots of the cockpit? Would like to get "close-to-scale" with a full-body pilot, seat, stick, instrument panel, throttle quadrant, and so on

By the way, did you make it to Muncie this season?

Regards,
    - RB8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris, found a few cockpit photos here that should meet my needs in another thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...tm.htm#9626333

On another note, I was planning to use an ST-3000 for power, which will weigh perhaps 8 oz more than the Magnum 180 four-stroke. Was wondering if putting a pair of DS-821 servos in the tail for the elevator halves could work, to move the CG back where it belongs? Have seen others do so, mounting them under each side of the stab. Any stuctural misgivings?

- RB8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Chris, it's September, are you here in the States? If you make it to San Antonio, let me know and I'll meet up with you, show you the city.

~ Jim ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have just started building my 38.5% Corby Starlet ARF, and have heard of big troubles with the covering. I understand the red, blue & gold trim film can delaminate from its colored adhesive and leave quite a mess. I've seen such a thing happen just this past weekend with a no-name ARF (4Star knockoff), and the entire top leading edge film came off to the spar. So now I am contemplating what to do about it.

So far I have gone over the entire airframe, ironing down the trim very well. At a minimum I think I will also apply some clear Monokote (or Ultracote) over the seam on the leading edges of the wing, stab and fin, as well as apply clear over the trim where the "rays" of the sunburst pattern thin and come together in the center of the wing and stab leading edges, and over the "points" of thin gold and red trim on the fuse. I'll also seal the edges of the ailerons and elevators and rudder (where the trim stops).

I am debating about going further, to essentially seal all edges of the trim colors. This would mean strips of clear between the rays of the sunbursts, and clear strips to edge the trim on the fuse. A lot of work, but much easier to do before everything is assembled.

Before I go to all that trouble, could those folks who built and flew a giant Corby Starlet with glow power (ie, oily) weigh in with their experience?

Thanks so much,
    - RB8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RedBall8,
    Yes, the covering comes up at the points. Just the propwash peeled mine back a few inches. A fairly hot iron will seal them pretty good. I used a tiny drop of CA after I ironed it down... for extra insurance. I have powered mine with a 3W 48cc twin.... those cheek cowls just begged for a twin. Fits like a glove. Lots of room for cylinders, plug wires, etc. Weight comes in just at 20lbs. Used a 20 x 10 Biela 3 blade prop (way too much for the 48, but had 21lbs of thrust!) I did put the elevator servos (2) in the aft fuselage (Hitec 645mg) Helps with the balance too. Wasn't too crazy about the slop generated by the Y linkage.
    Maiden flight was exciting to say the least. Lots of torque drift, even with that giant rudder, and the elevator was WAY too much.... flew like it was tail heavy. (took 4oz of lead out of tail to push cg forward a little)
    Next time, I'll be ready for the torque and bumped up expo to 75% on elevator. We'll see how it flies this weekend. Also have a smaller prop on it this time.... 19x10 3 blade..should help with the torque, but still PLENTY of thrust.

As a side note... at 38%, this plane draws lots of attention. It is beautiful!!!! and even with a very twitchy elevator, it flys great! Has a cool presence in the air. You're gonna love this plane!!! I flew it only once, and it is my favorite plane already!!

CC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK... flew it again today.... perfect weather... 100 degrees, light to no wind.... visibility unlimited... perfect!!
    This plane has really got me. I love this plane. I do need to add a couple degrees of downthrust to the engine though... at full throttle she aims for the stars.....but just cruzing around... wow! this is what a fun plane should be. Thanks Chris... you did good on this one. The tail lifts off in about 5 feet and she is flying in about 50 feet (with LOTS of right rudder) This is a real show stopper... everyone wants to know what it is... and comments on its looks. Looks so cool with a white Biela prop with red tips... and a polished spinner.
    On another note. Redball8... Don't use too much heat on the trim... it will shrivel up and look like s**t. I did find that H9 Oracover true red is a close match to the red trim.... (don't ask....LOL) con't see the fix. not sure about the blue..

CC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am considering setting up my giant Corby Starlet for two engines - a ST3000, and an OS FT-240. For proper fuel draw, the Super Tigre needs the tank floor raised about 3/4", and the OS twin needs the tank floor lowered about 2 1/4". I figure if I take out the existing floor, add side extensions and a new floor 2 1/4" below it, and then add back a middle shelf 3/4" above the existing floor, the tank could be mounted in either location to suit either engine.

Would doing so compromise the strength of the engine mount? The 1/4" ply tank box sides and the 3/8" ply engine mount would not be altered, and they seem to be carrying the lion's share of the load. I would cut 2 1/4" out of the 3/8" ply firewall below the engine mount, and build the enlarged tank box to mate with it. The back of the tank floor would then fit into the lower web of former F2, just in front of the landing gear. I'd probably also put a balsa top to the tank box, if for no other reason than to contain any fuel leaks.

Chris, if you're out there I would appreciate your thoughts, as well as opinions from all quarters!

- RB8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris:

I would like to get my hand on another 38% Corby Starlet. I had one before but, I sold it. Now I'm sorry I did.Global Hobby have stop carrying them. Can you help?

John Lett
    johnslett@aol.com

Canberra , Australian Capital Territory, AUSTRALIA
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys, I've still got my little Corby and Im just in the process of converting her from a Magnum .70FS to a Turnigy electric set-up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have wanted this plane since I saw two of them at Oshkosh when they were introduced to the US. I purchased the full scale plans but built another plane instead. Maybe someday I will use the full scale plans to build a scale model.
    JEB
    Giant Scale P-47, Knight Twister, 33% BD-8, 40% Gee Bee Z, 25% Dr1, 25% Clip Wing Cub, #45 Bud Nosen 310 Club

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Used 52/70 Corby Starlet just popped up on RCG, could be quite the deal for someone in southern California.
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1448015
    Cowl and canopy look intact, but no wheelpants and the wing needs to be "epoxied back together"!

- RB8

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Both versions appear to be rare to have at this point. Tell me somthin', flying off an asphalt runway I tend to see a lot more bounce and as strange as it may sound, both versions seem to be much more easier to land with snow-ski's and/or floats. On slow, straight-in approaches on ski's, they are just as smooth to land as can be. Same with floats yet, on tires, they both wobble a bit and and seem to take a lot more effort to control smoothly. What gives ?. Running a 3.2 FOX and Saito .82. Neither engine misses a beat and they run very smooth. Since these are irriplaceable, I "baby" them both and give them the same care and polish as a full-scale. MM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Still looking for a canopy for the giant scale Corby... anyone have one?

corsaircrazy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im looking for a Corby Starlet kit. Anybody got one for sale?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have one for sale. $275 plus actual shipping charges.
    Glider junkies creed: No glider, no lift, no reason to live.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi
    I have one of the original Corby Starlet NIB for sale. $200.00 plus shipping.
    The box is a little beat up but the plane inside is in new condition.

I loved flying this plane until I wrecked it...my fault.
    So I picked up another one from a club member, but I have so many other projects going I doubt I'll ever have time to put it together.
    I know this it not the forum to sell but you asked.
    I'll be putting it up for sale on RCU soon.
    Shubova

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast