Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Corby Starlet

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Corby Starlet

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 01:19 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corby Starlet

All,

Yesterday, I picked up a Corby Starlet from Sportsman Aviation.

At a quick glance the quality of the kit looks excellent and the instructions are amongst the best I have seen.

Is anyone out there flying the Corby?
What's the handling like?

Ari
Old 02-28-2005, 08:59 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Corby Starlet

G'day, Its about the best ARF you can buy! A real stable fun-fly. Use a .72 or .82 4 stroke for power. Side-mount the engine, run exhaust pipe and silicone exhaust extension tube through bottom of cowl. Take a Dremel and open up the bottom of the wheel pants.Tires can brush up against the inside bottom and chip them. Use remote fueler and ignition so you dont mess up the cowl. Homer Simpson fits right inside cockpit. You'll like this plane a lot. Seeya, MM
Old 02-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Fastsky

The plane has a very short nose. Did you have to add lots of nose weight to balnce?[8D]
Old 02-28-2005, 12:54 PM
apalsson

Mike,

I also bought a Magnum FS70 with the plane. Apparently, this is what Sportsman Aviation recommend and used in the prototype.
I like the unusual looks of the plane very much

Ari

[quote]ORIGINAL: MormonMike

G'day, Its about the best ARF you can buy! A real stable fun-fly. Use a .72 or .82 4 stroke for power. Side-mount the engine, run exhaust pipe and silicone exhaust extension tube through bottom of cowl.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:30 PM
MormonMike

G'day again, Yes I did add quite a bit of lead to the engine mount, can't remember how many ounces. Yes a .70 will work, Whats your altitude, I'm at 4500 feet [ can't figure it in meters]. 14-8 master airscrew prop works pretty good. I've only had two flying days in two full months where I live at here in Utah. Snow/ fog/ haze all the time. Let me know how your's turns out. Seeya, MM
Old 03-01-2005, 12:22 PM
apalsson

Mike,

Same story here, haven't been able to fly for a while. Not because of weather but been busy at work.
I'm in less than 100m (300') over sea level. Will post a couple of photos when I get somewhere with building the plane, in the meanwhile, check out this photo.

Regards

Ari
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13113.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	236605  
Old 03-05-2005, 02:51 PM
apalsson

The little Corby is now almost fully built and I have spent about 6 - 8 hours or so on it.

All parts have been an excellent fit and the covering job is flawless.

Only thing so far that I'm not 100% satisfied with is the fork pushrod for the elevators. When I jiggle the elevators, it feels slightly loose. I don't think it will be a problem but just to be on the safe side, I'm going to replace the dowel with a longer one or possibly try to get some gides or brackers around it in the rear of the fuse to stiffen it up.

I have used all the included accessories and been quite happy with them. I had doubts about the tail wheel bracket but decided to use it anyway. Once mounted properly, it actually feels ok.
The only accessories I had to buy were the usual foam, fuel tubing and a fueller valve. They even supplied a good quality aluminium spinner.
All servos are JR539 (5Kg) except the throttle servo which is a Hitec 422 servo that I had laying around.

For AUD$ 280, this is probably the best ARF purchase I have made.
If this is typical for the quality of Sportsman Aviation kits, I certainly will get others.

Can't wait to find out how she flies.

Ari
Old 04-03-2005, 02:26 AM
apalsson

This weekend, the Corby flew her maiden flight.
What a delight to fly!

The Magnum FS70 combination was excellent. As the engine was new, I ran it quite rich but plenty of power for this plane. My only gripe is that she's a bit sensitive on elevator. Maybe I just have to learn to be less heavy handed

10 out of 10 for this little plane

Ari
Old 04-04-2005, 07:37 AM
MormonMike

Ya know Ari, what amazes me most about this plane is that no one else wants to talk about it. Its a great little scale flier but it's just us with it. Oh well, it's their loss and our gain. It is a little difficult for me to see it and keep it oriented in flight on banking left or right. Large black squares under the wings help me quite a bit. Maybe need my eyes examined for new glasses. I have twenty-six operational RC planes and this Starlet is just about my favorite. Any problem encounters with "Joey's" on your flight line? Seeya, Michael.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:18 PM
apalsson

HI Mike,

I also find that the smaller the planes, the closer in I need to fly them. None of us are getting any younger
The Corby gets a lot of attention around here but then again, the original is a well known Australian design.

The plane is excellent value for just over AUD$250. I don't know how they market them for that price and still make a margin.

All the best

Ari
Old 04-04-2005, 09:48 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

No one wants to talk about this pretty little bird because all they care about are edges,extras,yaks, caps..........YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. My heads gonna blow up if I have to see another one. I am a big fan of the full scale corby design. small, simple, economical volkswagon power plant, simple wood construction,and aerobatic. And the best part abouyt the model is its quarter scal but flies on a 70 fs.!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 02:35 AM
freestyln

A guy at our club flies one with a Magnum 70 in it to, and its definately a performer for him. Does nice aerobatics when needed, lands well and flies very stable. Good little unit i say.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:52 AM
DesertHucker

I am a convert whanted a 1/4 scale without the price, Crashed both my extras, now getting a little Starlet
Just ordered it hoping to have it for the weekend. Got an OS 70 ultimate for it.
I am too surprised there is not mutch happening here in the forum they look like a great little plane.

Cant wait

Lawrie
Old 06-16-2005, 01:44 PM
apalsson

Mine is excellent. It's probably one of the best ARFs I have assembled. I have a Magnum 70 in it which suits it extremely well
Old 06-17-2005, 07:46 AM
MormonMike

Apalsson, I'll tell you another bonus with this Starlet is attaching a pair of Falcon Floats to it. You dont need a water rudder with them. There's plenty of rudder on the tail of the plane. Very smooth flier but you will notice the weight of the floats. Concerning this ARF's popularity, I can't figure it out why it has'nt taken off also. VERY WELL CONSTRUCTED ARF ! And as my wife say's, " it's the cutest little airplane " [ typical women ] Power is a Saito .82 at 4500 feet altitude, 14-8 prop. No doubt snow-skies will work just fine also come winter. Homer Simpson in the cockpit sure makes this a good conversation piece at the flying sites too. I have a feeling due to lagging sales of this plane, it might not be around too long. Oh well, our gain is everybody else's loss. Enjoy it while we have them. Try the floats and let me know what you think. Seeya guys, MormonMike.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:00 PM
altacom
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Gang:

Well I Got my Starlet up for 3 flights now, and it flies like a dream. It is very stable and does aerobatics very well. It's defiantely a good aircraft for the money.

The kit went together exactly like the instructions said it would. Flew perfectly on it's first flight. Have added the Wheel Pants now that the first flights are out of the way.

By the way did I mention that it is flying electric? Well it is, and very well I might add. I added a lighting package, and the Instrument panel is patterned after one on the Starlet website. Getting in the range of 8 minutes flight time, and expect after the initial jitters, will be able to get in the range of 10-12 minutes. Pretty close to what a gas motor would give.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14335.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	288311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19939.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	288312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67042.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	288313  
Old 07-01-2005, 04:06 AM
phildo

Loved the pictures of the starlet ... Went out and got one myself. However I only had a Magnum .61 lying around so I used that instead of a 70 or bigger. Need less to say ... Its a dog to fly around. It doesnt have much punch with a 60 up front (and a lot of lead in the nose) so I am curious to know how the electric goes ? Anyway its good looking little plane eh !
Old 07-01-2005, 01:24 PM
apalsson

Phildo,

I'm surprised the difference between a Magnum 60FS and 70FS is that great. Mine flies very well on the 70 and has plenty of power.
I suspect electric would be a bit heavy. Doesn't the battery pack weight well in excess of what a four stroke engine does?

Regards

Ari
Old 07-02-2005, 02:17 AM
phildo

Yeah sorry mate ... I was to reply to altacom ... whoops! I flew again today and had one of the senior flt. instructors look it at ... we both agreed a bit more grunt would be good for more aeros and control. BTW .. I met a gentleman at the club who used to be Jack Corbys boss at QANTAS Airlines. He helped Jack Corby build the proto type and I could have spent hours talking to this guy !! It seemed what he didnt know about starlets wasnt worth knowing. Fantastic! Ill have to catch up with him again ....

Now to the point ... Do you find the starlet really pitch sensitive or what .. I have got 150 grams of lead up front and it is still pitchin' all over the place .. any thoughts?
Old 07-02-2005, 02:22 AM
apalsson

Yes, the Corby is a bit sensitive but I have the elevators set low and some expo as well.
Actually, I have expo on both elevators and ailerons and she flies very well

Ari
Old 07-03-2005, 08:38 PM
builder jim

guys, will the os70 be the same as the mag 70 as far as fitting in the cowl?
Old 07-04-2005, 02:46 AM
phildo

Jim, Mate I tested a OS70 in the cow... I believe the OS is a little smaller than the Magnum ... Could be just me but there was a difference (the OS70 Ultimate will DEFINATELY fit in there). There is enough room for heaps of different power plants and some guys in the US have put .91 four bangers in due to the higher elevation (though this would need a little hack & crack to fit!!) My little mag .61 looks to small really! Does the job though.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:26 AM
DesertHucker

I Have an os 70 ultimate in mine plenty of power.
no cutting of the cowl needed exept for the cooling holes.
But i am having trouble keeping it cool these 70 ultimates need cooling arrond the crank case to stop the pump from vaporising i think i need to work on some baffeling from the oposite air inlet to force air arround the regulator at the back of the crank.
I think the air is going arround the motor in the cowl not cooling the motor.
will come up with something in the next few weeks.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:32 AM
builder jim

[&:]PHILDO, LAWRIE, thanks for the info, was thinking of the 70 surpass, but 70mag has issues on quality ive heard and I wanted to put togather one plane that didnt require 10 hrs of mods to have a different eng than recomended . thank you both for the anwsers builder JIM
Old 07-04-2005, 04:53 AM
builder jim

guys, maybe another question? can the white covering on the rear sides of the fuze be removed ? wanted to make mine a little different than the others at the field, and the word will get out about these planes, and this thread will take off, thanks again for your help and anwsers BUILDER JIM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.