Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

VMAR Getting Desperate???

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

VMAR Getting Desperate???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 09:13 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VMAR Getting Desperate???

$140 for TWO planes????????

Maybe the wings are extra?????

I wonder if there is much balsa in either.....
Old 03-04-2005, 09:16 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: VMAR Getting Desperate???

Now you know how much they make? The cost of manufacturing planes is that cheap!
Old 03-04-2005, 09:23 PM
tank tiger
My Feedback: (75)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who know balsa or mix jungle wood .I already got one mix with jungle wood
Vmar cheaper ????????
Old 03-05-2005, 09:17 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

You gets what you pays for.

Even though some of them look good, they are of a pretty low standard compared to other brands.

Just my 2c

Old 03-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Deadeye

VMAR planes: Now built with lighter bamboo!
Old 03-05-2005, 12:35 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

There is actually quite a following of people that like the Vmar planes. I personally have no experience with them, but alot of people have liked the planes and the way they flew. IMO, you get what you pay for, thats why I don't fly Vmar. They have some very sharp looking planes though.

Sean
Old 03-05-2005, 12:37 PM
IronCross

Nice thing about Vmar, if you don't like the way it looks just set it in the sun for awhile... As the "jungle wood" dries and warps and the covering wrinkles you end up with a completly different plane..
Old 03-05-2005, 02:24 PM
jrotor
My Feedback: (5)

$140 for TWO planes????????
Just curious, where did you find that ad ?
It really matter what kinda planes they're talking about.
Two 40 size trainers for $140 are not extremely cheap.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:34 PM
IronCross

You can get two well built good flying trainers from WM (69.00 each) for 138.00
Old 03-05-2005, 02:57 PM
jrotor
My Feedback: (5)

Exactly !!
Old 03-06-2005, 10:54 AM
LSP972

jrotor, it was one of those larger "banner" type ads above the forum layout; on this forum, I believe.

I have learned to filter out all the VERY annoying advertising that has infested this site, but that one caught my eye for some reason.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:22 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

I like the advertising. Keeps me up-to-date on new products and there are sometimes good deals. I think Marc and the RCU staff have done an excellent job at keeping the advertising very effective and at a minimum. Thats a hard combo to come by. Besides, the site is free, who am I to complain about the advertising that keeps this site free for me and you.

Sean
Old 03-06-2005, 02:07 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When VMar ads first appeared I was tempted. Then a club mate actually got one, and I was very happy I had put off ordering.

VMar quality is an oxymoron.

Locals who have their VTec engines all seem happy with them though.

Their current planes may well be a lot better, they surely could not be any worse than they were. My impression is a pretty good looking piece of trash.

You might be interested to know that VMar and Seagull Models have the same phone number in Hanoi. Or at least they did.

Bill.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:27 PM
udi maman
My Feedback: (18)

when the price of ther models will be ONE$ i will think to buy one
Old 03-06-2005, 05:04 PM
piper140

OK fellows. Norway says hello. Today i was logging flight number 312 with my Vmar stick 60 during 2 years. It,s powered by an OS 52 four stroke performing just great. Can Vmar be that bad if this plane still flies after all this hours? Just asking.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:54 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr. Cambell, you seem a little jaded

I have held back thinking about getting one because of what I have read. I also know that for every 100 that has a good time with a product 2 will write about it. Yet when 100 people have bad experiance, 80 will write about it.

It seems that Vmar ranks right up there with GSP and HHI, and I know how you feel about HHi.

Just teasing you Mr. Campbell. I have read a lot of what you have typed on several forums. I think the best line was that you got Irwinized!!

Dru.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:42 PM
tIANci

Piper140 - Norway is cool ... try leaving the VMAR in some hot place like Malaysia, see what happens to the coverin in a couple of hours. Its hot and humid here and you see what can happen to covering and glue job. The LHS brought in 2 shipments of VMARs, they sold like hot cakes (I am sure he sold more than 60-80 units in a few weeks, first evening he sold no less than 20 units) ... no more repeat sales. What does that say?
Old 03-06-2005, 09:57 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

I love these Vmar threads! The best reading on RCU.

I want to share a story about my Vmar Aero Subaru. When I first got the Plane,and opened the box I really thought I had bought a pretty descent Plane. The design looked pretty neat, and the covering didn't have a wrinkle anywhere, and the Plane was really done up neat looking with the graphics incorparated into the covering. What in the world were all these RCU folk talking about?

Well a couple days into the assembly process I found that the Planes inside structure was not glued up to my satisfaction. It was sorely lacking in properly glued joints. Then I also noticed that the covering started to develop a few sags. No big deal though I thought. I will just iron them out. IRONING THAT COVERING JUST CREATES MORE WRINKLES I found out. I then used the heat gun with a little success, but the iron had caused so many creases that I was unable to get them all out.

Finally I finished the Plane, and had a new engine installed and my Radio Equipment installed. It was ready for a maiden at the field. I took it to the field, and did all my preflight checks, and was ready to put it in the air. A few other people were there and they commented on how nice the Plane looked, and they to found it kind of hard to believe that so many people disliked these Planes. I told them that I had to do a little extra gluing and that the covering was causing some problems, but other than that I thought the Plane was probally going to be OK. So out to the runway I went with it. Ready to put on the big maiden show of my Vmar Aero Subaru. I throttle her up, and down the runway she goes tracking straight as a string, and just as I go to feed in some up elevator, the firewall, and engine flop out of the front of the Plane with the Plane about 5 feet off the ground. The Plane comes down, and inflicts some minor damage to the wing. Any potential Vmar fans that day, including myself quickly discovered that what everyone was saying about these Planes held some truth.

Anyway I take the damaged Plane over to the side lines, and drag out my little Great Planes Super Sportster and fly it the rest of the day! At the end of the HOT day as I go to load up, and head home, I now notice that the covering on the Vmar has some serious sags inflicted from the hot sun. Man, what a first experience. I had glued everything within reach inside the fuse, but I had neglected to reinforce the firewall, and now I had some damage to fix, and some more tedious work with the heat gun.

To give this potentially tragic story a happy ending, I will share with you the reader that I fixed the Plane, reinforced the heck out of it, and now have a ton of good flights with it. I have had to replace constantly warping jungle wood pieces like the ailerons, and some pieces on the tail, but actually I enjoy flying the Plane very much, and it has held up well after much reinforcing, but I would never ever buy another, and would not recommend this Plane to anyone unless they are looking for something to just hang from the ceiling and look pretty for awhile until the covering sags. I am not here to knock Vmar, or be mean. I am just stating a fact that the quallity is just not that good with these Planes.

I have included a few photos of the Plane in this story.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38437.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	239211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24759.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	239212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63581.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	239213  
Old 03-07-2005, 10:53 AM
LSP972

>>...you seem a little jaded...>>

What was your first clue???

I guess the old saying "To each his own" applies IN SPADES to this topic. There are a surprising number of folks who say VMAR is a decent model. There are a greater number who say otherwise. So, do the happy guys have smaller expectations, or perhaps the unhappy guys have too MUCH expectation?

There have been a few VMAR models at my field. Looking at them, then looking at Sig, Goldberg, World Models, Kangke, etc., ARFs, well... to me, there is no comparison. Yes, the other brands are more expensive. And some folks seem not to mind the lesser quality for lesser money.

That's fine for them. Personally, I would rather pay more and be reasonably certain of a product that had few or no problems. While I like to build, tinker, and modify, I like to do it on MY terms. IOW, if I have to do major surgery/re-work/etc. on a model just to make it right, then that falls into the category of PITA; which lessens the enjoyment. This is my hobby- its all about enjoyment.

So you guys who like VMARs- more power to you. You won't have to worry about competing with me for available stock...