Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Decathlon

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Decathlon

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:01 PM
c130j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Decathlon

The seagull is a pilots plane, no gyro here. I have been flying mine for two years now and it does the best knife edge. The plane was a hand full in till i put some right thrust on the engine mount.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Mojavegold
My Feedback: (71)

C130J: I am building this plane right now and am converting it to e power with an AXI 4130/20 running on 6S. How much right thrust did you put into the plane? I was checking the firewall the other night and found that is has zero right thrust built in to the model. This is probably why so many guys are having trouble with the hard left turn issue, not saying that rudder dumb thumb syndrome isn't playing a big part also. I was planning on putting 2 degrees of right thrust in. Also, are you running any aileron differential and flaperons programmed into your radio? I have had great luck with my cub set up this way. It takes off in 15 feet and flys great! If I get this one sorted out nicely, I'll buy another one and put it on floats.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:39 AM
c130j

Two degrees is a good starting point. It greatly improved take offs. Just very little right rudder on take off now and i just mix 20% rudder to the ailerons.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Mojavegold

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:02 PM
pylonrace

I am the proud owner of a Seagull Decathlon ARF that I spent way too much time putting together. It has additional pinstiping, larger wheels, custom tailwheel, inverted Saito 72 with remote glow.....and the ground handling is a nightmare. Even our experienced pattern flyer winces on takeoffs. I've been reading the forum and have invested in a Futaba 350 gyro since I'd like to fly my plane (by myself) and keep it it one piece. Can anyone guide me through this? Where do I mount it, will the instructions help me hook it up, will my Futaba 6EX run this thing, can I Y the 6th channel to turn this off/on and still run my voltwatch..
I'd like to do some work on the engine thrust (again from reading) and the incedence angle of the wing, but it's just about impossible to get it airborn. We're on a grass field so the wheelpants add to the fun.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:02 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I use the same Gyro in my Decathlon; I mounted it slightly in front and above the Rudder/Elevator Servos on a 1" wide balsa strip which spanned the width of the inside of fuse(I will try and get a photo posted); the Gyro is mounted with the Writing facing forward; as far as plugging the Gyro into the receiver, I have a 9C Futaba Radio, and I use a 3 position switch: CENTER is OFF, UP is NORMAL MODE and DOWN is AVCS MODE; not sure how the Flap Control/Channel 6 Dial on your 6EXA would work; I would think CENTER would be OFF, Forward NORMAL or AVCS; backward Normal or AVCS; the Volt Watch can be 'Y' into any servo or lead; I find the AVCS Mode works best and what I do: I turn the plane on first and let the GYRO cycle and center(do not move or touch the plane;usually about 10 seconds or so); then turn the Radio on(make sure the GYRO is turned off on the Radio); start the engine and taxi out to the runway, once you have the plane where you want it and lined up as straight and center on the runway turn the GYRO on in the AVCS Mode; after this point do not touch the rudder; ease the throttle carefully so as not to input any rudder; hold a little up elevator to keep the tail wheel on the ground until it gets enough speed for the rudder to steer and gentle pull back on the elevator and a perfect take off; once in the air and level, etc; turn the gyro off.

I hope this helps, don't hesitate to ask.

Doug.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 PM
dasintex

Pylonrace;

I looked at my Gyro, and I guess it doesn't matter if the writing faces forward or rearward; my faces rearward; I forgot there is a direction switch on the Gyro; and regardless of which way you mount it forward facing or reaward facing, before you try it on a flight you test it to see that it works the right direction, if it doesn't you change the direction on the direction switch; to test it, you turn the Gyro on; if you move the tail of the plane to the right; then the rudder should deflect or move to the right, to turn it back to the left; if it's the other way then the direction is wrong.

Doug.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:15 AM
pylonrace

Thanks, this will help a ton. I had envisioned I need to mount the gyro as far back as I could near the tail. Removing covering was not something I was not looking forward to. Your position sounds fairly easy and straightforward.
I think I'll be able to figure out the radio, even though the manual is almost worthless. I can always ask the Futaba help line. They have actually been helpful and responsive to other questions I've had. My gyro is in the mail, so it will be a few days (week) before this gets done. I also have the other issue that I enjoy flying more than working on planes. The weather here this weekend will be mid 70's.....

Bill
Old 10-09-2008, 08:09 AM
dasintex

When you go to set up the Gyro, set both the settings(rate and sensitivity,I think) to 100 as a starting point; someone suggested that to me and I still run it on those settings.

Doug.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:53 AM
Mojavegold

Pylon: You will also notice that the landing gear on this plane is 2 piece, which makes it really easy to adjust for toe in on the front tires. Just loosen the screws and pull the gear forward, then tighten the screws. If you like the max toe in setting, then drill an extra hole and put a #6 screw through it to lock the gear in place. I'm going to maiden mine next weekend. It is e-powered and I'm hoping it flys great. The CG balanced perfectly with 6S lipos. I set the CG at 3.25 from the leading edge. Has anyone else used this dimension? I figured, better be safe and have it nose heavy for the maiden.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:15 AM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Mojavegold

Pylon: You will also notice that the landing gear on this plane is 2 piece, which makes it really easy to adjust for toe in on the front tires. Just loosen the screws and pull the gear forward, then tighten the screws. If you like the max toe in setting, then drill an extra hole and put a #6 screw through it to lock the gear in place. I'm going to maiden mine next weekend. It is e-powered and I'm hoping it flys great. The CG balanced perfectly with 6S lipos. I set the CG at 3.25 from the leading edge. Has anyone else used this dimension? I figured, better be safe and have it nose heavy for the maiden.

I have one of these I'm going to E - Power also.

#1 How much does your engine & mount weigh ?

#2 - Where did you end up place the batteries to balance ?

#3 - How are you going to change batteries ? Wing ? Hatch ? Etc. ?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Mojavegold

Don: I am using an AXI 4130/20 motor and mount, not sure of the weight. I'm sure it's listed on the Hobby Lobby site. I'm also using 1.25 inch nylon spacers between the motor mount and firewall. A .035 thick washer will give you 2 degrees of right thrust. I am running 2 Polyquest 4500 MAH 3S lipos in series for 6S. They are mounted on a platform behind the firewall. There is plenty of room in the airframe for lipos. I made a hatch to load the lipos. It is located under the belly of the plane, just behind the gear. Look in the plane and you will see a large rectangular area behind the gear. I cut the covering out and built a hatch. It is much easier than removing the wing every time you want to change the lipos. I will post pics of my conversion later next week. Work is way too busy right now.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Don M.

Right On !
Old 10-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Mojavegold

After work today, I did a test run of the motor (AXI 4130/20) with 4 different props and 2 different lipos 6S and 9S. The best combo for the 6S lipos was an APC 17x10 prop. It made 940 watts at 38 amps. Then I used the same prop on a 9S lipo set up and pulled a whopping 1800 watts, enought to hover this bad boy! IMHO the 6S set up was more than adequate to provide very good performance for this craft. The 16X10 APC only produced 630 watts @ 6S, which is probably enough to fly this plane without any issues, but I prefer to err on the side of higher power. The 17X10 prop still had plenty of ground clearance, but I am running 3.5 inch diameter tires and no wheel pants.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:46 AM
Don M.

This is the motor I plan to use on 6S - 3800 and probably about a 13 - 8 prop. A 17" prop is a big prop on such a small plane [X(]

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2102&Product_Name=TURNIGY__50-55A_400kv_Outrunner_(Eq.4120/18)
Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Mojavegold

I agree on the prop size, but I fly very aggressively and I want the most performance that I can get with that motor on 6S. IMHO I don't think the 13X8 is going to be enough prop, but run it on a watt meter and see what numbers you get. Also, hook it up to a thrust meter and see if that combo will fly the plane. I run a 13X8 on my Ultra Stick and it flys good, but would fly better on a 4S lipo and bigger prop. Let us know how it flys with that combo.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:18 AM
ricfly52

I have had one of these models now for about 1 year. I fly it every time I go to the field. I have a Saito 82 mounted sideways. The first 30 or so take offs, were a bear, mainly because of being too careful. I would ease the throttle, use low rates on rudder and still half the time I would be headed to Sam's place, so to speak, before I was airborne.

I finally have got it down. I just begin by easing the throttle, but then I push up the power fast and get the tail up fast. Once the tail is up it tracks straight as an arrow. But the big Saito is the key because it is airborne before I dumb thumb it. It seemed like I was getting in trouble by staying on the ground too long and gaining speed to slow.

I have 2 degrees right thrust in the engine, and a good amount of toe in on the main gear. These are fun models and like an above statement, they will knife edge forever. Touch and goes can be done by touching on the main gear only. Once that tail comes down it is time to shut her down.

Happy flying
Old 10-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Mojavegold

OK, I maidened this plane today and had a blast!! This plane flys great! When I was building it, I measured from the trailing edge of the fuse to the firewall and noted that it had no right thrust built in to the firewall. I have 2 degrees of right thrust on the motor (AXI 4130/20 with APC 17X10 prop) and max toe in on the tires. As stated above, ease into the throttle then gas it when the tail comes up. It was airborne in under 40 feet and did not pull hard left. IMO the 2 degrees of right thrust and the toe in solves the problem. I was a bit nerved out on the maiden, because I thought this plane was going to be a big handfull. Glad it turned out to be a good flyer. I'm going to build another one and put it on floats. On another note: I bonded the brass inserts into the wing struts and put a flat on the link, to help the set screw bite a bit more.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:52 AM
Mojavegold

Here's a link to the video of my maiden flight with this plane. Note the short take off run.
http://www.soaringunionoflosangeles....Decathalon.wmv
Old 10-21-2008, 06:06 PM
c130j

Mojavegold, I just watched your video. Looks like you got it set up just right. You will enjoy flying this plane. Good luck, Sean
Old 10-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Mojavegold

ORIGINAL: c130j

Mojavegold, I just watched your video. Looks like you got it set up just right. You will enjoy flying this plane. Good luck, Sean
Thanks! Yeah, she's a sweetheart! A few more flights and it will be balls to the wall. The landings are sweet. I'm going to build another one on floats.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Don M.

OK after a lot of procrastinating and fiddlling around I finally have my SD flying. It has a Turnigy 50-55-400 motor and has lots of power on a 6S4000 battery. I built in 3 degrees of right thrust and it will run STRAIGHT down the runway for as far as you care to go. It takes off well and flies very well but my, Oh My the landings are terrible. I've been flying R/C 25 years, feel like I'm a better than average sport flyer and pride myself in my excellent lands ( most of the time ) with all kinds of aircraft. But this SD has me baffled.

There is NO WAY, I said NO WAY to land this thing without bouncing it - several times. I've tried slow, fast, 3 wheels, 2 wheels, no wheels ( there's a story there ), on asphalt, on grass, but no way in heck can I keep it from bouncing and it looks terrible on a plane like this.

Has anyone mastered the landing of this thing. I'm about ready to give up. I've flown hundreds of different planes and have never seen anything like this [&o]
Old 04-22-2009, 01:51 PM
flynte

I really like how it flies, but have the same problem also. The landing gear doesn't hold up for some of my landings. Have new gear back ordered since Feb and they won't be in stock until late May, so it continues to hang on the shop roof for a while longer.

flynte
Old 04-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Mojavegold

I am running Dubro 4 inch inflated tires on mine and have no issue with bounce on landing. My landing approach is very flat and I have a gentle flair. I also have 60% expo on my elevator, so I don't tend to over do the flair. Watch my maiden flight vid.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Don M.

I have some 4.5" inflatable tires. I'll take the air out and give them a try but their goin' look stuuuuuupid.

I actually am hard pressed to get ENOUGH flare even with MAX elev. When I pull back a bit on the throttle she heads for the ground like a brick. It has absolutely no floating qualities at all. It's either UP or DOWN. But as I say it takes off and flies around in fine fashion []

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.