Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

WM T34 Mentor Mods...

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

WM T34 Mentor Mods...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 08:25 PM
techsarge
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WM T34 Mentor Mods...

I'm putting together a WM T34 Mentor. So far, it seems to be pretty easy. Just wondering if anyone who has this plane did anything to reinforce the firewall? I see small triangle stock on the vertical sides of the firewall on the outside but nothing inside. Also, I thought about removing the smaller blind nuts used to attach the engine mount and replacing them with size 6-32's. Did anyone do anything to reinforce the horizontal stab or has anyone had problems with it? Seems like a small dowel on the leading edge and a screw in the rear might not be enough. I've used epoxy in that area in the past for some kits. I'm using an OS 46FX and kinda hate to have the engine sticking out of the top of the cowl. Has anyone positioned the engine on its side? If so, which muffler did you use? Oh, one other thing. I fly from a grass field and replaced the small wheels with 2.75" wheels. If I do that, looks like I can't put a wheel collar on the inside to keep the wheel from rubbing against the landing gear? Anyone using small tires on grass and does it work ok? Thanks in advance...

Ed
Old 09-20-2002, 09:07 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default T-34

No mods needed, not even glassing the center section of the wing.
I've built and flown 4 of these planes, their great. We race them here in northern Ca. with OS 46 fx engines and the engine and plane MUST be stock.
The only weakness I've found can be caused by a midair.
My friend Mike and I were coming through turn 4 when I pulled a little more elevator than he and came up under him and sliced through his tail like a hot knife through butter.
MY APC 10X6 whent through it completely, antenna, both push rods and the entire fuse. All I got was a broken canopy and the pressure line was knocked off the muffler.
I replaced my canopy with HIS since it was the only thing left that wasen't broken.
You'll need bigger wheels (wider) for use on grass and you CAN use a collor to keep the tire from rubbing on the strut.
The firewall is fine, never had a failure and I carry the plane by the muffler all the time, except right after a flight.

Great all around plane for the money.
Old 09-20-2002, 09:54 PM
bipelover

I have to agree on this one. My T-34 is completely stock other than I did change the blind nuts in the firewall as a personal preference because I hate the metric ones. I also epoxied the tail feathers in place because I don't trust just a small dowel and screw to hold the tail on. Other than that it's a beautiful flying plane (magnum .52 4 stroke) on mine. They really stick to the ground on landing and handle perfect in the air. Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:30 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

My nose gear push rod gave me hell. It would flex and turn the nose gear sideways on the runway. I would recommend using a heavier gauge rod. Other than that, leave it stock and fly the wings off that thing!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	26935_4404.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	16871  
Old 09-21-2002, 02:30 AM
techsarge

Thanks for the comments. Sounds like a good plane. I should get it finished this weekend and ready to fly he following Saturday. Think I'll change out the blindnuts to 6-32. Did anyone mount the engine at 90 degrees or just cut a hole in the top of cowl? I appreciate all the tips I can get...

Ed
Old 09-21-2002, 02:48 AM
Daddygood

Default WM T34

I mounted my saito 56 horizontal instead of upright and I think it looks much better. When carving the cowl I made a cut at the back of the opening for the head to allow for getting the narrow cowl on. I split it only on the engine side right at the point of the paint color change and no one ever even notices it until I point out the two button head screws at each side of the split.

You will love this plane. I started with my CG slightly forward of recommended and have gradually moved it back and the plane gets to be more fun but still stable.

Have fun,

Craig
Old 09-21-2002, 08:07 PM
techsarge

I decided to mount the OS.46Fx sideways also. Starrting setting up the cutouts on the clear plastic cowl. Never had a cowled plane before and discovered it is lots of work to make it look good. Sounds like you have a good way to set up your cowl for the 56. Thanks for info...

Ed
Old 01-30-2003, 11:50 PM
Bill Yonescu
My Feedback: (44)

Default T-34

I just ordered one and would love to hear more on this thread. Did you finish her? How do you like her?

Bill
Old 01-31-2003, 12:30 AM
techsarge

Hi, Bill...

I finished it quite a while ago but didn't get the chance to fly it. I live near Chicago and the wx and timing wasn't right. It went together well and it looks like it will be a good airplane. Big advantage is that all control surfaces are pre-hinged and the hings are allready glued into place. Don't know what part of Florida your are in but it has to be warmer down there. Good luck and enjoy the T-34...

Ed
Old 01-31-2003, 02:42 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Excellent plane. After about 5 years, receiver failure recently totaled mine.

I have a new one flying. No mods, just epoxied the engine compartment and clear doped some other areas that might be exposed to fuel.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:38 PM
Arf-er

Yup, agreed, this WM T-34 can be built and flown stock-standard. Mine is more than a year old now, and the only thing that I could complain about is slight wrinkling of the fuselage covering under the sun. The original decals look pretty tacky, so I had changed mine to USAF trainer livery. I've also changed the nose wheel to 3 inch dia. foam as I fly off grass. Previous experience has seen the nose wheel digging-in on hitting a longer grass patch, so the bigger wheel has since solved this. No need to change the main wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2003, 02:35 PM
IronCross

I have had three of them and they are great planes. I do pin the firewall with 1/8 inch dowels (just my thing) and expoxy the tail feathers real good. The onely real problem I and others have had is wtih the fuel tank. The metal disk on the back of the stopper tends to vibrate loose the the stopper seems to shrink after a period of time flooding the fuel bay with fuel. I just stick a Hayes 12 oz tank in them.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:22 PM
Bill Yonescu
My Feedback: (44)

Default T-34 sounds great!

Hi All,

Thanks for adding on to this thread. I'm looking forward to getting it (probably mid next week). I have the WM Super Chipmunk and have lots of trouble landing it, especially when I have to fly in my "bad" direction because of Westerly winds. While the weather is nice down here right now, the wind comes mostly from the West during our "winter". I wanted something nice looking and less expensive (like the T-34) to practice flying in my "bad" direction. It sounds like there is going to be much more with the T-34 as well.

Thanks Again,

Bill
Old 01-31-2003, 10:06 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Guys... where are you buying your world model planes at? I went to airborne/world models web site and was wanting to know if anyone has them any cheaper than full retail price?
Thanks!! John
Old 01-31-2003, 10:10 PM
IronCross

They seem to be pretty much the same price all over. I get mine from Quantum. Free shipping and no sales tax. T-34 is 129.00 if I remember correctly
Old 02-02-2003, 07:15 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Buy it from Quantum and then add the Pica T-28 decal set and you have one great looking and great flying plane.

Here is a picture of mine:

Name:	52181_5.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	16873  
Old 02-03-2003, 08:18 AM
GIJon
My Feedback: (118)

Default T-34 Racer

Here is my Racer. It is 2 years old and only has 1 race on it. Unfortunately, my job doesn't allow me to participate on the race weekends at the moment. It does have a lot of regular flights on it and it is a blast to fly. It is completely stock right out of the box.
Graphics by CFC Graphics.

Name:	52363_8006.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	16874  
Old 02-03-2003, 01:46 PM
OSilfa
My Feedback: (2)

Hi:
I Suggest reinforce the horizontal stab and change the rod for 4.40 .

Mine make fluter with Rossi 45-2000.