Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

V-MAR "TOMAHAWK"

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

V-MAR "TOMAHAWK"

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 02:12 PM
J3FAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-MAR "TOMAHAWK"

PLEASE.
Only respond if you actually HAVE or have had the SUBJECT MODEL.
I have read ALL the V-Mar "pros and cons" and the only plane that interests me in this series is the PIPER TOMAHAWK.
From the threads I think I can tell exactly what these planes are all about and have actually inspected one in the LHS.
I can "up=grade" the model on my own, without too much trouble.
Would like to hear somebody's opinion on THE MODEL ITSELF. Specifically interest in the COVERING, not so much in the structure. Also in flying characteristics.
thank you
Old 02-11-2006, 11:17 AM
wolf iberkleid

Default RE: V-MAR "TOMAHAWK"

HI

I BELIEVE THE WING LOAD IS VERY FINE FOR THIS MODEL, I HAVE ONE BUT AM AFRAID TO FLY IT DUE TO THE HEAVY LOAD ON THE WING, MAY FAIL AR LANDING

WOLF[&o]
Old 02-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Richmond RC Response Center

J3FAN... Noted your post here re covering on the VMAR Tomahawk. For more information about covering please check out our Knowledge Base at www.richmondrc.com > Welcome > Support Services > Knowledge Base or select the POLYCOTE ECS - Information and Tips link at http://142.179.114.175/novo/default.asp?id=4229

There are also some good tips on the Tomahawk at: http://www.richmondrc.com/vma/storec...ma%20t240x.htm

Look near the bottom of the web page and check out the PDF documents in the Support Information section.

As to wing strength and loading, we are not aware of any difficulties with this wing.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
vmgo22
My Feedback: (31)

Hello:

I´m interested for a Piper Tomahawk, and I would like to have this plane as a !QUOT!relax flier!QUOT! choice. Right now I´m flying a H-9 P-51 Mustang and a P-40 war hawk, but they are war birds and both of them require some attention and !QUOT!concentration!QUOT! nothing out of this world, but sometimes is good to fly something easier and relaxer(I thing so).

Any comments, I will appreciate
Old 03-28-2006, 09:02 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually had one. My overall impression is that it was a first generation arf.

It flys nicely but it has some quirks.

First the box says it should weigh 5 pounds. My wing weighed 5 pounds by itself. I doubt it would fly on a .40 I used a 4stroke 90.

All of the fittings in the kit look like very poor reverse engineering examples of something made in Europe, i.e. they took a part, made a mold off of it then started making parts in the new mold.

My version had the elevator servo in the tail. The 'servo extension' was made out of three independent strands of telephone wire.

The balsa has a very funny feel to it, waxy and brittle.

The covering gives a very beautiful representation of a metal scale finish, but it wrinkles easily and you can't match it if you have to repair it.

The main landing gear tore out on every landing. I wouldn't fly another one without first opening up the lower wing and reinforcing all of the landing gear attach points with more plywood and epoxy.
But then there goes the scale rivets.

Flying

Nice docile trainer like flyer. Odd looking in the air with the sailplane like wings and T tail.

The T tail has a quirk. My first prang was an attempted go around from three feet. With full flaps from level flight I added full throttle to climb out. The engine just dragged the airplane into the ground, even with full up elevator. I think if I'd of added less power and given the plane time to accelerate there might have been enough elevator authority to start climbing. But since the tail isn't in the prop wash it depends on how fast you're flying to work.

It was the only airplane I had that stalled out of the top of a loop inverted. That was an interesting recovery.

Beef up the MLG and add epoxy to the fire wall and it might work out to be a decent sport model.