Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

vectorflight extra 66 maiden tommorrow?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

vectorflight extra 66 maiden tommorrow?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 10:10 PM
skypiratescotty
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vectorflight extra 66 maiden tommorrow?

Well, this is it. I've been patiently building, reading and waiting for the weather since early December. The plane has been ready since January but it's been breezy or a light cross-wind so I have held off. The forecast is for a light wind straight down the runway so she's going up in the morning.

It has a 91FX for power, hitec receiver, and ace rc servos. I haven't weighed it but seems to be around 8 lbs and balances perfectly.
I'm really just curious what to expect out of this plane as I've only been flying for about a year. I mostly fly a Black Horse Super Air which is a low symetrical wing, tricycle gear and 46Pro. I also have a Sig Skybolt with a 61FX which I have flown about four times. I can fly it no problem but it is a beast to take-off.

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Calflyer

Default RE: vectorflight extra 66 maiden tommorrow?

Yeeea! Go for it!

Do a lateral balance too if not done already, it can make a big difference in flight. From my own experience, keep elevator throws down, about 3/8 inch either way should be enough initially. Check everthing to make sure it is strong, tailplane, hinges and all!! And make sure all your control surfaces are absolutely neutral, too many times assymetrical control surfaces create nervous moments on maiden flights.
Use a slow pitch prop to keep from overspeeding. She is very docile when gently handled! I have a 91 FX too and it is very comfortable at between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.

Have fun and happy landings! Let us know how it goes![8D]
Old 03-16-2005, 10:38 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tip of the day: Be sure to wear a set of knee pads on Maiden Flights so you don't hurt your knees when they are knocking together due to nerves. LOL
As long as the Plane is Balanced right, and you have the throws set low, all should go well. Good Luck on the maiden, and be sure to come back with a report!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:43 PM
IShootSharpStix
My Feedback: (4)

Good luck and include some pics along with your report. I am impatiently waiting for the snow to melt so I can maiden mine.. Unfortunately in Wisconsin, this may not occur until July......
Again Good luck!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:46 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Do what ever one else said and i would suggest not doing any 3D or aerobatics of any kind, but its your decision if you feel ok. Make sure you do a range check on it. If you don't feel good about it or you feel just not right I wouldn't fly. But thats your choice. Have fun.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:29 AM
IronCross

If you have done your groundwork it will be a peice of cake... Took one click of aileron trim on mine.. After the takeoff, then the first bank and turn apprehension turns into joy... One straight pass down the runway and you will fall in love with it....
Good Luck
Old 03-17-2005, 09:46 PM
IronCross

Soooo ????? . Did we maiden it ??.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:37 PM
skypiratescotty

Hey Fellas,
Sorry for the delay but I'm a boat captain and had a good weather window so have been crossing the Gulf of Mexico.

I flew it first thing Thursday morning and let me say that I'm usually very nervous on maidens but I had spent so much time checking and balancing that I was confident all would go well. Drum roll please! Takeoff was almost a non-event as I taxied a couple passes and decided to lift the tail, it was so smooth I just advanced to about 2/3 throttle, waited a second for speed to build and pulled up. No immediate concerns but I needed three clicks(digital) left and I think five clicks up at half throttle. The wind was a little gusty (maybe 9-14) but straight down the pipe so I'll keep adjusting trim for the next few flights as straight and level dictates. The plane flew great, no question about it. I did a couple aileron rolls to check the throws and they were by far the best rolls I have ever done. The fuse seemed to just say on axis and the wings rotated around them. It actually looked like I could fly better than I thought I could. I did have the 91FX set too rich on the low end and ended up choking out after an Immelman so I yelled "Deadstick" , flew it to the landing pattern and greased another landing. That's when the phone rang and I had to split but I can say that the rest of my planes are going to be in the hangar for quite a while as I know this plane is just gonna get better and better!

I'll try to post some pics in a day or so and thank you guys for all the helpfull information. I really appreciate it!

Scotty
Old 03-20-2005, 07:57 PM
IShootSharpStix

Great news! Glad all went well. Now, please send some of your weather up to Wisconsin so I can Maiden mine!
Old 03-20-2005, 08:19 PM
IronCross

Fantastic... Amazing how good these planes can make us look Waiting on those pictures....
Old 03-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Calflyer

Congrats Scotty, you had me getting a bit nervous there
Welcome to the VF club! I didnt know how good I could fly until I started flying my VF planes. My other planes have beeen gathering dust for some time now!![8D]
Old 03-21-2005, 01:34 PM
garch 22

Scotty or anyone else, I'm setting up a VF 66 in. Extra with an OS FX 90 2 stroke with Bisson muffler
and am trying to establish engine offsets. Mfr. suggests 0-2 deg. down and 2-3 deg. right. Can anyone tell me what they are using for this combo. One washer under two top motor mounts and one washer under two front engine mounting holes sound about right? Thanks, Joe
Old 03-21-2005, 01:56 PM
IShootSharpStix

I have the 66" Extra and used one #6 washer top and bottom under left side of mount to give approx 1 degree right thrust, and have setup a program mix on my radio to induce 1 degree of right rudder at idle and as throttle exceeds 50% another 1 degree of right rudder. I believe this combination produces 2 degrees right thrust up to 50% throttle and 3 degrees right above half throttle. The instructions that I received indicated that no down thrust was necessary. Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:18 PM
skypiratescotty

I have one small washer under the forward engine bolts that gives right thrust. I did'nt put in down thrust and I don't feel like it needs any when it flys. When I fly straight and level flight at 1/3 throttle and then throw her to the kitchen she just goes faster on the same line. yeeeeehaaaa!
Old 03-21-2005, 05:01 PM
IronCross

I did not add any to mine and it appears not to need it... Goes straight as an arrow... Up and down lines are beautiful.. Love this plane
Old 03-21-2005, 05:13 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: skypiratescotty

I have one small washer under the forward engine bolts that gives right thrust. I did'nt put in down thrust and I don't feel like it needs any when it flys. When I fly straight and level flight at 1/3 throttle and then throw her to the kitchen she just goes faster on the same line. yeeeeehaaaa!
I,m confused...is the washer between the engine and the mount or between the mount and the firewall??

if you just have one washer under the forward engine bolts (ie: between the engine and the mount on the forward bolts) than you are actually giving the plane up thrust....

to give right thrust, you would need a washer behind the engine mount or have drilled the holes in the mount with the right thrust built in.....
Old 03-21-2005, 05:28 PM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

If your engine is side mounted, washers under the forward engine bolts will give right thrust. If your engine is mounted vertically, washers under the forward engine bolts will give up thrust.
Bob
Old 03-21-2005, 08:25 PM
skypiratescotty

Sorry for the confusion as I am still kinda new to this but my engine is mounted horizontal. Pretty sure that gives right thrust.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:01 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

[:@][:'(][]

I totally forgot that the motor is side mounted when I posted!! My Bad!!

a washer under each front bolt would be perfect.......

carry on[&o]
Old 03-22-2005, 10:51 PM
garch 22

Thanks for all the good replies to my original question. None of you mentioned which engine you were using though. I think a couple of right degrees is what I'll set up, with no down for my 90 2 stroke using a 14x6 or 13x7 APC. I think Vector Flight gave a range to accomodate either a 2 stroke or a more torquey 4 stroke.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:08 PM
IronCross

I am using a .91 four stroke in mine... One suggestion would be to try it as is... These are not criticle trims and can be added if needed easily enough as you trim the plane out... As I said previously I did not have to ad any offset to the thrust of mine...
Old 03-23-2005, 09:40 AM
IShootSharpStix

I've got a Saito FA-100 mounted inverted in mine. Will be using a 15X6 initially and may try a 16X4 just for kicks.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:18 PM
kolarshooter
My Feedback: (1)

up!
Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 PM
suitcase

All this sounds encouraging. I've got one coming and a YS 110 to put on it. Now, if I could just hear from VF![]
Old 07-19-2005, 08:53 AM
kolarshooter

I just received an e-mail this morning from them which read...in part:

"We are currently shipping the 300S 66 in about 4-5 days. It usually takes about 6-7 business days to arrive as they are shipped from Canada and have to go thru border customs and security."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.