Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Easy Fueler

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Easy Fueler

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 02:57 AM
fossil
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Easy Fueler

Sorry flatbeddennis that it took so long to respond to your question, but yes I have two planes with the fueling valves and I just plug in and fuel and nothing goes to the carb.
fossil

"Quote"
Fossil
Are you telling me that you just plug in the nipples and fuel up and no fuel at all goes to the carb. I got 2 in a row that flood my carb 99% of the time.
Dennis
Old 10-14-2002, 03:31 AM
freeonthree
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default easy fuelers

Fossil,
Hobby services sent me 2 replacements and today the first one leaked fuel to the carb 3 out of 5 fuel ups. I give up.........
Dennis (red bluff)
Old 10-14-2002, 04:30 AM
d4a2n0k
My Feedback: (6)

Default I also have two working

I have two working as well. One is on a Saito 80 and the other is on a 46fx. The one on the 46fx is 4 years old and sat for 3 of those years after a year of use, still works perfectly. I can see the fuel lines and not one drop ever enters the line going to the carb.

I love 'em!
Old 10-14-2002, 01:17 PM
fossil

Man thats bad both of mine are 2 years old and work great.
fossil
Old 10-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Sporty

Model Airplane News-Jan 2002 has a very good solution to the fueling problem on page 16, the "Tips &Tricks"section. Inexpensive too! Sporty
Old 10-15-2002, 04:22 AM
freeonthree

Fossil, Do you use an electric pump ? Im beginning to wonder if my Hobbico pump is too much for the fueler. Maybe I can put a voltage dropping resistor in line to slow it down for a test. I will play with that therory and post the results.
Dennis
Real planes have two wings and radial engines...........
Old 10-15-2002, 04:27 AM
d4a2n0k
My Feedback: (6)

Dennis, you could be on to something there. I am using a 12 year old electric pump. I am sure this thing is not working like it used to, it could be the reason why both of my easy fuelers work. Lets see what fossil says.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:07 AM
freeonthree

I do have to admit, I have a Yuasa battery for a Kawasaki 900 in my flight box and my Hobbico pump really cranks. The extra current sure starts the Saito 72 nicely but might be too much for the pump/fueler situation.
Dennis
Real planes have two wings and round motors.........
Old 10-15-2002, 12:28 PM
Blackie

I don't think its the electric pump, mine leaked even after I removed the nipple from the valve. The 6 shooter I am using does not produce the same volume as the hobbico related ones do.

Randy
Old 10-15-2002, 03:16 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I *had* one of these on my ME-109 It lived for about a year, and dies two weekends ago after I swapped out the old engine (OS .52) for a new engine (YS .53). It worked for about 30 seconds, then blew up. (one of the fuel nipples detached)

Fuel everywhere!

I replaced the old valve with a new one and tried again. This one fell apart while fueling up!

Pulled the fueler out, ashcanned it.

I now have a set of fuel dots installed. I have a 'T' in the carb line for fueling, one line for return pressure and a third which I uncap as a vent. Works great.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:46 PM
freeonthree

Well, I flew this am for a while, managed to get the fueler to work 3 out of 5 fuelings. Slowing the pump with a resistor had no effect. I wish I knew exactly whats in there so I could diagnose the symptoms. I just dug one out of the trash, going to cut it open with the dremel. Will post results.
Dennis
Old 10-15-2002, 07:31 PM
freeonthree

Here it is....Not much. 2 "o" rings (1 small,1 large), a cone shaped piston and a spring. With a small pin bent on the end, pull out the first "o" ring, with small hemostats extract the piston and spring and then the smaller "o" ring. I also found what appears to be a curved 1/2" long piece of hair. How bout that......I wonder whats in the one thats on my plane now. Guess I will do a little excavation and see what treasure I can find. (Upon closer inspection, the hair like strand might be plastic or nylon).
Dennis (Red Bluff, Ca)
Old 10-15-2002, 11:43 PM
fossil

I use an electric pump, but I may have made a mistake. After closer look my fuelers they are DuBro not GP. I thought they were GP but I saw an add for the GP valve and realized mine are a little different.
fossil
Old 10-16-2002, 02:24 AM
freeonthree

OK, I dissassembled the one thats in my plane and hosed it out with my fuel/pump and it worked fine all nite. I fueled up 5 times tonite after the cleaning with no problem. I'll be darn..........
Dennis (Red Bluff)
Old 10-16-2002, 03:19 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Default Re: I also have two working

Originally posted by d4a2n0k
I have two working as well. One is on a Saito 80 and the other is on a 46fx. The one on the 46fx is 4 years old and sat for 3 of those years after a year of use, still works perfectly. I can see the fuel lines and not one drop ever enters the line going to the carb.

I love 'em!
Hi d4, are you using the ones from gp or dubro ? Thx.........
Old 10-16-2002, 09:31 PM
freeonthree

I've been informed that Dubro makes the Great Planes Easy Fueler, but who knows. Also, it seems that everyone having good luck with them also says that they have had them for years. The Great Planes units im having trouble with are brand new...
Dennis (Red Bluff)
Old 10-16-2002, 11:56 PM
Blackie

Let me get this straight, if I decided not to use a filler valve but instead a T with a fuel dot then making sure the carb is fully closed I will have no worry of flooding? This this apply to all engines?

Randy
Old 10-17-2002, 12:56 AM
Zigi_

yeah I was wondering about THIS.

Zigi
Old 10-17-2002, 01:11 AM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No problems

I've had about five or seven fuelers over the years, a mixture of Dubro and GP. Never had a problem.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:58 AM
rajul

Default Re: No problems

Originally posted by rcflier_gi
I've had about five or seven fuelers over the years, a mixture of Dubro and GP. Never had a problem.
Hi rcflier, did you have to service them at all, i.e. open them up to replace the o-rings and spring ? .............
Old 10-17-2002, 04:09 AM
freeonthree

Tonite was the last draw. I can't remember ever having this much trouble with anything. I put in the last replacement fueler, it worked 1 time correctly and leaked to the carb on the 2nd fueling. I disconnected the lines and ran them outside the cowling and coupled them together with a short piece of brass tube. Problem solved !!!!! I flew and fueled at least 5 or 6 times and that disconnected fueler didn't leak a drop. I think that made a total of 4 GREAT PLANES EASY FUELERS in a row that leaked to the carb of my new SAITO 72. Oh well.....
Dennis (Red Bluff)
Old 10-17-2002, 05:02 AM
rajul

Originally posted by flatbeddennis
Tonite was the last draw. I can't remember ever having this much trouble with anything. I put in the last replacement fueler, it worked 1 time correctly and leaked to the carb on the 2nd fueling. I disconnected the lines and ran them outside the cowling and coupled them together with a short piece of brass tube. Problem solved !!!!! I flew and fueled at least 5 or 6 times and that disconnected fueler didn't leak a drop. I think that made a total of 4 GREAT PLANES EASY FUELERS in a row that leaked to the carb of my new SAITO 72. Oh well.....
Dennis (Red Bluff)
The probability of getting 4 bad ones in a row is kinda slim. I suspect that you have your connections to the 2 nipples reversed. This will mean that your fuel will be pumped to the carb instead of the tank. Another possibility is your pump pressure is too high. Just my 2cents.......
Old 10-17-2002, 07:59 AM
freeonthree

I tried everything, and they were all hooked up right. I even slowed the pump down with a voltage dropping resistor. I know alot of people who have these fuelers and they work great for them, so, Im going to just accept the fact that my Super (picky) Stearman / Saito 72 does not like them. Maybe more releif in the vent line might of helped, but I didn't think of that at the time. I have a simple coupler in the line now and it works fine. Perhaps I will play with it again at a later date, but for now, Im running out of hair to pull out and just want to fly. I left the fueler in the cowl just in case I get bored and need something to stimulate my brain. Dennis (Red Bluff)
Old 10-17-2002, 10:54 AM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: No problems

Originally posted by rajul

Hi rcflier, did you have to service them at all, i.e. open them up to replace the o-rings and spring ? .............
I never serviced any of them. But I tend to keep a plane for one season and then sell it and if it is equipped with a fueler it gets sold with it.

BTW: The Robart super fueler is a nice unit. Not sure if they make them anymore.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:38 PM
rajul

Default take a look inside !

Folks, here's an x-ray pic of the gp fueler which I took few months back out of curiosity. No I didn't pay for it. It was taken in my lab. Go figure how it works and why it doesn't in your case. BTW there are two o-rings if you can see them.............
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	31012_10258.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	17569  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.