Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

How do you straighten a warped aileron

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

How do you straighten a warped aileron

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Quicksdraw MaGraw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you straighten a warped aileron

I just unpacked a new ARF. During inspection I noticed one of the ailerons is not straight.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to lightly clamp it to a flat surface and then apply heat.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2005, 01:37 AM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: How do you straighten a warped aileron

Hard to say on such little info. Is it a built up aileron or solid? What type of covering is on it? How bad is the warp?

Why not contact the mfg and get another one? If I had the time that would be my first choice.

Give some more info on what you have and I'm sure plenty of suggestions will flow your way.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:18 AM
Kaos Rulz

Is the aileron warped, or bowed? If it's slightly bowed it should straighten out when hinged to the wing. Try installing it without glueing in the hinges and see if it does straighten out. If not, I'd be going back to the mfg and request a new one. Same is true if it's warped
Old 04-21-2005, 07:18 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Hi,

As per the other responses, there are some unknowns here - I would either contact the manufacturer, use as is if it is not warped too badly, or make a new one. You could remove the covering and apply water/ammonia to straighten it out, but at that point, I think it would be easier to just make a new one - especially if it is a solid strip aileron of a common preshaped stock size. I tried to use one once that was severely warped. I thought that the hinged would keep it straight (it did), but it just snapped from one position to the opposite every time I moved it - I ended up just making a new one.

Steve
Old 04-21-2005, 07:34 AM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

Same as the others here,,, we have little to go on as to what you have there. But,,,,,, if it's built up balsa and monocote you could try this simple fix. I had a U-Can-Do rudder arrive warped the other day and fixed it by heating it up with the air gun then laying it down on a flat coffee table with the bowed side up. While it was still warm I layed a flat piece of cardboard over it and then a briefcase full of tools. I left it alone till the next day and it's now perfectly straight. I did have to heat the area again to remove the wrinkle in the covering where it had been warped. Six flights on it so far and no problems.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Quicksdraw MaGraw
My Feedback: (1)

Here are further details. Its a solid stock piece covered in monocote. It came hinged and pined to the wing. Its about 16 inches long and if you look at it lenghtwise it has 2-3 mm of bend to it through the center. I should probably have it replaced, but I was really looking forward to getting started
Old 04-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Kaos Rulz

Quickdraw,

2 - 3mm bow for a 16" length is not bad. Depending on the type of plane you have, you probably won't even notice it in flight. I thought you had a serious warp. Sounds like a very minor bow.

Go fly and have fun.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:02 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with ED... just go fly.

Don
Old 04-21-2005, 01:23 PM
FATBOY
My Feedback: (5)

I straighten a rudder on a H9 Aresti while it was attached. I used the heat gun to shrink the covering on opposite side of bow. I watched it close as I heated in a slow waving motion and stopped heating when it straighten out. It might work for you, but be careful not to over-heat the covering.