Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Gp 202

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2001, 02:33 PM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gp 202

I have one of these planes! I have only flown it once. The firewall is all wrong, there is way too much up-thrust! I am in the process of fixing that. When it was at idle it flew great. Under full throttle it didn't fly good at all. once I get the thrust lines right it will be a great plane. I have a Super Tigre 2300 on mine and it is perfect. Many guys are doing the OS 160 it sounds to be the good combo too. I thought about my Saito 180, but I like it in my Cap 232. There is only one gas engine that is possible and that is the MVVS 1.60 gasser. I haven't heard if it has enough power, but the weight is right. All other gas engines are way too heavy. This plane needs to stay as light as possible.

I think that the wing problems were isolated to a couple of people. There are too many of these in the air with out any problems to make me not worry about fling mine. I do know that in mine, the connecting brace in the wing didn't fit very tight. I added some balsa so it fit tight before I epoxied it in place. I wonder if the wing snaps were because the guys didn't have a good tight fit on the spar. That is just what I wonder. I love mine and can't wait for spring.
Old 12-30-2001, 07:55 AM
TCBenson
My Feedback: (14)

Default G/P 202 Thrust Angles

Hi Ric, I'm in the process of assembling a new GP 202 and am a little confused regarding some of the postings I've seen regarding right thrust and up-thrust. How and where do you establish the thrust line as a reference point. I've yet to see any plane of this type with up-thrust on the engine but mine appears to be about 1.5 degrees up and near 3 degrees right. What changes have you found necessary? Now would be a good time for me to make any necessary changes before I secure the cowl and space the spinner, etc.. Thanks for your time and interest. Terry
Old 12-30-2001, 10:13 AM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default Gp 202

Hi Ricmussann!

Finally got around to looking over one of these planes. A friend from the field brought one over today. What a bargain at under $200! The fuse is curved all the way around using solid balsa sheeting, the tail feathers are airfoiled, everything is double beveled, I think it uses Ultracote, it comes with fiberglass wheel pants and decent hardware. Looks like alot of squares on the wing for the size of the fuse, too. I think it's alot better deal than the Kangke Cap I just bought... but I didn't want a Giles.

[COLOR=teal]>>The firewall is all wrong, there is way too much up-thrust!
Old 12-30-2001, 03:01 PM
flying2bill
My Feedback: (2)

Default GP 202

I was one of the few that had a wing problem and in retrospect I attribute my wing problem with weight. I've tried this plane twice wth gas (zenoah & homelite). The 202 flew great with the Zg23 and no changes to the firewall but the wing snapped on flight #7. That plane weighed in @ 13-3/4 lb. Great Planes replaced the kit for me @no $. The second one I put a Homelite conversion on, thought it would be lighter but came out 14-1/4 lbs. On the maiden flight it flew like crap (amazing what differance 1/2 lb makes) and on landing the gear peeled out (not a rough landing), the glue (looks like hot melt) just peeled away from the wood and the gear rolled under and through the wing (again I blame weight). So back on the bench it goes, good news, my brand new ST 2300 just arrived yesterday (thanx Phil) and I'm starting to get excited about this plane again. If you search on the other popular posting board you'll find a ton of posts on this plane and several reguarding thrust changes .
The rule of the 3 W's; If it involves wheels, wings or women, it's bound to be trouble!!!