Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes PT- 17 Stearman ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes PT- 17 Stearman ARF

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 02:55 PM
handyman 220
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're welcome. I felt the wood screw was a weak point in the attachment method shown. I went with blind nuts, much more secure IMHO.Maybe a little harder to install but worth the effort.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:30 PM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

Trust me. it wont be overpowered. The saito 325 is no stump puller in any sense of the word. It pulls the plane around at a perfect speed. I love throttling back and doing low and slow passes with that radial just grunting along.
Umfortunatly i royally thumped mine last week and I am waiting on replacement parts.No fault of the plane. My stupid goof.

Last edited by ChrisPetersen; 08-14-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:48 PM
I_Fly

Flew mine yesterday and had a great time. It had been a few months. To long. Nothing fancy about my setup. A simple OS .91 with the best doctoring of the dummy engine I could muster. I love to do rolls, loops, stall turns, spins and whatever else strikes me. I always enjoy this plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0790.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	2022899  
Old 08-16-2014, 07:09 PM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by I_Fly
Flew mine yesterday and had a great time. It had been a few months. To long. Nothing fancy about my setup. A simple OS .91 with the best doctoring of the dummy engine I could muster. I love to do rolls, loops, stall turns, spins and whatever else strikes me. I always enjoy this plane.
Just a note I_Fly, a radial has only one cylinder at the top position! Just thought I'd mention it. It is a common error. Look at any picture of a radial that is mounted. Looks pretty good otherwise.
bird.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:50 PM
stevelesl

Got the radial monunted, cowl fitted, fuel tank, throttle linkage, onboard glow wired, looks pretty good (I think), also fitted the cabanas with machine screws and blind nuts, fronts are a pain to get in but worth the effort, rears enter into front cockpit so easy there. Also made hatch for installing my 5000 mah glow battery and 2 ft extension 12 awg wire to carry the 15 amps or so for the 5 glow plugs !!.
should be flying either this weekend or next.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2024146   Click image for larger version

Views:	143
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2024148   Click image for larger version

Views:	124
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2024149   Click image for larger version

Views:	123
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2024150  
Old 08-20-2014, 05:52 PM
stevelesl

That's not Coco Cabanas !!!,!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:11 PM
bigbird3

Stevelesl, one thing you might do is put a 3/4" rocket tube from back to front to keep the wiring from flapping around. It sure makes a difference!
Looks great!
Take care buddy.
bird.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:31 PM
stevelesl

Well she's finished bar the decals, came out at 17lbs 3 Oz, needed 1lb 3 Oz in the tail but the good news is my onboard glow and receiver batteries + 3 Oz of lead did the trick so really only added 3 Oz over the actual weight of the plane. May fly it this weekend, we will see.....

Views:	117
Size:	859.6 KB
ID:	2024594   Click image for larger version

Views:	107
Size:	894.8 KB
ID:	2024595  
Old 08-21-2014, 07:24 PM
j301
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by stevelesl
Well she's finished bar the decals, came out at 17lbs 3 Oz, needed 1lb 3 Oz in the tail but the good news is my onboard glow and receiver batteries + 3 Oz of lead did the trick so really only added 3 Oz over the actual weight of the plane. May fly it this weekend, we will see.....
Looks great, you will enjoy the way it flies. On mine (G26 gasser-a bit heavy) I found the stock tail wheel really lacked any authority in a cross wind and became a challenge, so I went through a few changes until I used something similar to this:

I also found the springs to the rudder not great either so I ended up with a dual push rod set up from the rudder servo to one side of the tail wheel/rudder.. The side force from a cross wind on all that wing and rudder area put quite a bit of side loading on the tail wheel. Just my 2c, and something to put in the back of your mind come maiden time.
Best of luck, and if you get any video I would sure like to see (and hear!) that radial go!

Name:	han331.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	2024599  
Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 AM
stevelesl

yes, I can see that the tail wheel assembly may be a weak point, I have two of these tails wheels you show in your post, one on my all aluminum Affordaplane ultra lite and one on my Honda powered Put Put as I call it, they are very strong and work well. As you say, the springs are weak but that's the design of the wheel so that it doesn't overstress the servo.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:17 PM
stevelesl

Well it flys !, and it flys very well, take off was pretty much straight and after climb out only some down elevator trin was needed, the engine just sounds amazing in the air, not too over powered but it can fly nicely at about 1/3 throttle.
it does fly heavy but landing saw the plane float in wit no issues for almost a three pointer.
very, very happy with it, it,s a keeper for sure. Short video on Alvin RC Facebook page, sorry, no idea how to direct you to that page.
thanks for the tips and communications.

Views:	133
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	2025047   Click image for larger version

Views:	156
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	2025048  
Old 08-23-2014, 03:25 PM
j301

This I feel is one of those times its safe (and a positive thing) to say "Told you so!" This is one of those moments I'm sorry I sold mine! (remembering how it looked and felt nailing the landing-not telling anyone it was the plane making me look good, not the other way around)
Old 08-23-2014, 06:41 PM
bigbird3

Well it flys !, and it flys very well, take off was pretty much straight and after climb out only some down elevator trin was needed, the engine just sounds amazing in the air, not too over powered but it can fly nicely at about 1/3 throttle.
it does fly heavy but landing saw the plane float in wit no issues for almost a three pointer.
very, very happy with it, it,s a keeper for sure. Short video on Alvin RC Facebook page, sorry, no idea how to direct you to that page.
thanks for the tips and communications.
Steve, please forgive me if I point out the obvious, I'm not being unkind, but one of your 'N' struts is backwards! Hopefully you have figured it out by now.
Very impressive plane. I love mine too.
bird.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:33 PM
stevelesl

Look at both pictures and tell me which one is wrong, left or right?, you will find they are both correct, it is the angle of the struts and the angle of the picture that may make you think one is wrong. How would they line up with the holes if one was backwards?.
Anyway, thanks for looking
Old 08-24-2014, 02:56 AM
bigbird3

Look at both pictures and tell me which one is wrong, left or right?, you will find they are both correct, it is the angle of the struts and the angle of the picture that may make you think one is wrong. How would they line up with the holes if one was backwards?.
Anyway, thanks for looking
Well Steve, it is something I thought about after posting this! I was wondering how something like that might get by you unnoticed! How in the world does a camera take an image like that? I have never seen any picture of a biplane and one strut be backwards and it not really be backwards! That is a first for me. Perhaps the camera is dislexic!
Thanks buddy;.
bird.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 AM
stevelesl

Not sure if you are still saying you think one is backwards, if so, consider the fact that the struts are not vertical between the two wings, they are angles outwards, so when the picture is taken from one side and from slightly above the nearest one looks completely different than the furthest one away from the camera.
Also consider this, if one was backwards, how would the holes in the wings line up as the struts are also angled forwards, they would not fit that way.
Anyway, thanks for your concern
Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 PM
bigbird3

Not sure if you are still saying you think one is backwards, if so, consider the fact that the struts are not vertical between the two wings, they are angles outwards, so when the picture is taken from one side and from slightly above the nearest one looks completely different than the furthest one away from the camera.
Also consider this, if one was backwards, how would the holes in the wings line up as the struts are also angled forwards, they would not fit that way.
Anyway, thanks for your concern

Yes Steve, I do believe you! I was only perplexed as to how it could look backwards in a photo. As I said, I have never seen a picture of a biplane and the struts look different than what they really are! In your two pictures, the first one has one strut looking backwards and the second one is the opposite one looking backwards! I have never noticed such a thing in a photo, and I do notice detail.
Just sayin'.
bird.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:14 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bird, are you over here causing trouble ... I did the same thing on another thread a got the back of my hand slapped ... I think what your seeing is the camera dyslexia.. its always the N strut closest to the camera that looks wrong, but I think its an optical illusion.

John M,
Old 08-24-2014, 12:19 PM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by John_M_
Bird, are you over here causing trouble ... I did the same thing on another thread a got the back of my hand slapped ... I think what your seeing is the camera dyslexia.. its always the N strut closest to the camera that looks wrong, but I think its an optical illusion.

John M,
Yes John I'm over here causing trouble............I guess! I finally see that it is an illusion but as I said, I have never seen such a thing before! Now, go back to cubs and read what I wrote you.
see you bud.
bird.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:00 PM
maikrotex

Default saito fa 170 r3

Hallo
I Fly Mine with an saito fa170 r3.
Want to know what's the biggest tank who fit in the fuselage.
I use the original and my first flight end with a empty tank after 4 minutes.
The saito is not running perfect right now but I work on it.
Someone here who fly also this radial and can say some to the fueluse?

Greets
Maikro

Name:	Pt17-a-rsz.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	2027002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pt17-b-rsz.jpg
Views:	1014
Size:	530.1 KB
ID:	2027003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pt17-c-rsz.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	2027004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pt17-d-rsz.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	2027005  

Last edited by maikrotex; 08-29-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:04 PM
thetireman1
My Feedback: (5)

Guys I am in need of a landing gear set and the center cabane strut set if anybody has them hanging on the wall and wants to get rid of them. Need them bad! John (919) 730-9013. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2014, 10:05 AM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by John_M_

John M,
John, I've been away for some time. Is the cub sight still running. Let me know something, I miss it. Last I heard it was in need of donations and then all of a sudden I never heard from it again. Doing well. Coming up on my first anniversary for my first heart attack. Dec, 28th!
Hope to hear from you soon.
bird.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:30 PM
maxiemac

Originally Posted by thetireman1
Guys I am in need of a landing gear set and the center cabane strut set if anybody has them hanging on the wall and wants to get rid of them. Need them bad! John (919) 730-9013. Thanks!
Tower has the landing gear in stock for the Super Stearman LXGDA6 US$19.99 in limited quantities but it's painted white. If you want the grey painted one GPMA2804 it's shown as available mid January '15.

The cabane struts LXGDA5 white and GPMA2810 US$6.69 both are shown as available early February '15. The interplane N struts are in stock in both colors US$23.99 a set.

If you want the grey landing gear and the grey cabane struts from Tower you will probably have to order them to see if Tower will supply them as back order items.

hope this helps - cheers - maxiemac

smile it don't hurt.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:58 PM
maxiemac

stevelesl - in your above post 611, the left photo shows the starboard strut is fitted upside down - then in the right photo it shows the port strut fitted upside down - this probably happens when assembling the wings and struts - easy to do - in looking at each photo the numbers on each side of the fuselage are reading correctly - on page 14 of the instruction manual it shows where the red arrow stickers on the ends of all the struts are supposed to go - hope this helps -cheers - maxiemac
Old 12-19-2014, 09:28 AM
j301

For some reason I have the lyrics to the Kinks "Do it Again" stuck in my head...

("And now were back where we started, Here we to round again...")

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.