Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Great Planes DR-1 ARF

ORIGINAL: BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

I am trading for one of these, can't wait. YS1.10 going in......servo suggestions please.

Also, anyone EVER check incidence on this plane?? My Pop scratch built one of thse , Giant sized, in the late seventies. And he spent hours playing wqith incidence.

I will be flying on a grass field, too. Cant wait.
    I used standard servos Hitec 425hb. Maybe a little more for the rudder. I just built it and flew it... Tends to climb past half throttle. Most of the time you are flying it slow that's when it looks it's best.
    I fly mine with a CHEAP 91 FS Magnum. perfect for balance. As stated by khodges if you land it on either wheel while trying to 3 point it will rock and catch the wing tips. If there is no wind I land mine on the wheels and let it roll out with a little throttle ( If you cut the throttle too quick the wings act like an airbrake and it noses over). With a slight head wind I find it even easier to land. CROSS Wind Leave it on the ground!
    Visit my WEB Site www.nobullsales.com Check out my gallery!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You know the funny thing is, the full scale tripe was so bad about getting squirrely on the ground they put AXE HANDLES on the lower wing tips to help keep it from wiping out on the ground ! check some old pictures out, you'll see them.. I guess a really top notch pilot back then might try to thump another pilot with an axe handle if he could get close enough!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We have a field that gets a severe cross wind from the south.

It won't be coming to the field on those days.
    \"Are you brave enough to milk a Yak?\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can someone post pictures of the Magnum 91FS installation and a picture of a YS1.10 installation if you have it??

I am gathering what I need to finish this model, and want to make the engine choice after I see an installation or two.

I havea YS 1.10 spare but it seems a little large , like the cowl would have to be mover a little farther forward to look right.

Doee the Magnum mount inverted, angled or sideways???

Also....what pilots have you guys used in this model??...gotta have the right pilot.

ANyone put in machine gun sound effects??? Smoke??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can someone post pictures of the Magnum 91FS installation and a picture of a YS1.10 installation if you have it??

I am gathering what I need to finish this model, and want to make the engine choice after I see an installation or two.

I havea YS 1.10 spare but it seems a little large , like the cowl would have to be mover a little farther forward to look right.

Also....what pilots have you guys used in this model??...gotta have the right pilot.

I mounted my Magnum at an angle. With the magnum it's pretty straight forward, balance is right on no lead needed. I collieded with the DOG HOUSE from my video last summer and destroyed my Fokker. I have a new one I'm going to put together and this time I will put a small smoke tank. I can take a pic for you my Magnum is still mounted to the front. LOL Rest is destroyed. If you look at my pics you will see my pilot. It's a Dragon Model. Red Baron. $20 -$25 on ebay I cut him in half and hollowed out his body to lighten him up. was thiking of going to a saito 100 that I have just because it is set up for smoke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've started to build a GP DR1. I'm to mounting the stab. I'm wondering if any one can tell me about the incedence of the stab? I was looking at the manuel and to me it looks like like the stab incedence is not the same as any of the wings. Do you just glue it on the saddle as is or do you adjust the incedence to one of the wings. I'd appreciate any help.

soinks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It will be angled up a bit. I just glued it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flew my GP Fokker DR1 for the first time today. Weather conditions were fine-hot with a 15 knot breeze. Wildlife was abundant especially the butterflies in the bottom of the stomach. First flight went well considering, nice plane to fly, into the wind. Had a tendency to climb on the downwind leg, even with moderate use of the throttle (no idea why). Landing was relatively good as long as you know where the breeze is coming from. 2nd flight had take-off ambitions mixed up with my actual capabilities, ended up with a bit of a lose and a wing tip scrape/twisted undercarriage. [:@][:@][:@][:@] Love the plane though, must get a handle on my ambitions and capabilities.

In our club scale or scale like makes a fairly rare appearance, sometimes it's nice to take something different up to the flying field.
    That Focke was a Messerschmitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

coshy

Climbing is part of the plane at anything over half throttle. If you have a computer radio you can mix in a little down elavator with the throttle. If you fly it scale it's not a problem... Once you get used to the handeling you will be amazed at what you can do with it. It turns on a dime and is a blast to fly around scale... The attention you get at the field is a bonus too... Just remeber it lifts off in about 4 feet if you gun the throttle so take it easy with the throttle and ease your way or it can make for a crazy take off... Landing will be a nial bitter for a while till you get a feel for it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can't help with the YS or Magnum, but here's a pic of my Saito .91 installed, and a pic of my pilot. It's the Aces of Iron generic, the only one they have in 1/5 scale for WWI. I lowered the floor of the cockpit so he'd sit at the proper height without having to cut him off.

I installed the Saito at first with the cylinder at 7 o'clock, but it interfered with the dummy engine, which I wanted to use, so I just rotated it 90 degrees to the present position. One of the "eye" holes in the cowl is right in front of the cylinder, so it gets plenty of cooling. I put a remote glow attachment on the left side of the fuse (made it look like the scale carb intake) so i didn't have to cut big holes in the cowl for the glow starter.

Get a load of all the lead on the firewall---1.5 pounds of it. total plane weight is 11-.25 pounds, but wing loading is still less than 20 oz/sq ft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om34191.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	405568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To44265.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	405569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw58195.jpg 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	405570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mg97265.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	405571  
    Club Saito #2, WACO Brotherhood #20. What other trouble can I get into?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BULL-RCU

coshy

Climbing is part of the plane at anything over half throttle. If you have a computer radio you can mix in a little down elavator with the throttle. If you fly it scale it's not a problem... Once you get used to the handeling you will be amazed at what you can do with it. It turns on a dime and is a blast to fly around scale... The attention you get at the field is a bonus too... Just remeber it lifts off in about 4 feet if you gun the throttle so take it easy with the throttle and ease your way or it can make for a crazy take off... Landing will be a nial bitter for a while till you get a feel for it.
    What you said..... Wish I had thought of mixing the elevator with throttle. Maiden flight was busy, with having to adjust elevator trim every time I changed the throttle, and fighting the adverse yaw in turns. I had some rudder mixed with ailerons, but not enough, and I was using much more throttle than I needed; maiden jitters, I didn't want to stall, I guess, but the .91 is much more than the plane needs, even with the weight I had to add to balance it. I like the way it flies, and once I get a couple more flights in, won't be so dang nervous, but landings are gonna take some practice. I have a 16-5 prop on it, may need to go to a 16-4, or a 15-4, as the plane will cruise at less than or about 1/4 throttle, and it's difficult to regulate power on approach. Mine took off at 1/2 throttle in not much more than 15 feet, I was being ginger with it trying to avoid torquing it on lift-off.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What you said..... Wish I had thought of mixing the elevator with throttle. Maiden flight was busy, with having to adjust elevator trim every time I changed the throttle, and fighting the adverse yaw in turns. I had some rudder mixed with ailerons, but not enough, and I was using much more throttle than I needed; maiden jitters, I didn't want to stall, I guess, but the .91 is much more than the plane needs, even with the weight I had to add to balance it. I like the way it flies, and once I get a couple more flights in, won't be so dang nervous, but landings are gonna take some practice. I have a 16-5 prop on it, may need to go to a 16-4, or a 15-4, as the plane will cruise at less than or about 1/4 throttle, and it's difficult to regulate power on approach. Mine took off at 1/2 throttle in not much more than 15 feet, I was being ginger with it trying to avoid torquing it on lift-off.
    [/quote]

The plane really doesn't have any bad problems on take off. After a while you will get used to it and the take offs will get really pretty. Letting it roll out and riding the wheels for a while. I fly off grass so everything that I state is flying off grass.

I am trying to figure out the weight people are having to add? I have a magnum on mine which is heaver then the Saito. I had a little lead at first to get used to it but after a bit I took it off. If it's balanced right it floats like a kite.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the advice guys, certainly will have to input some mixing in especially on the throttle. Have to make some minor mods anyway, so I thought due to the flying field being concrete runways, and the grass section being full of rabbits holes and other hazards, i'd make some wire half loops to act as wingtip skids and some silicon tubing on the tail skid as an easy replacement item.
    That Focke was a Messerschmitt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guy, try trimming the plane for a throttle setting that it is happy with (mine is about 2/3 to 3/4) . Them when aileron turning use throttle insteat of E, returning to the lower T setting after the turn. Then instead of trimming the E each time out just move the T to get a level flight. Having all that drag I like to dive to the runway at a steep angle (usually at idle but I will add T if needed). Then pull it level over the runway. As it bleads off the extra speed I was carrying I assess the crab (what I can see on such a short coupled plane). If I see any obvious crab I go round. If everything looks good I wheel land making sure I'm not carrying any rudder.

Joe
    If it doesn't fly it wount cetch my eye.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Coshy

i'd make some wire half loops to act as wingtip skids and some silicon tubing on the tail skid as an easy replacement item.
    I made some scale wing skids for mine. I don't know how you planned to attach the hoop type (like a Jenny had?), but I had to make some hardpoints between the last two ribs on each side of my wing; wasn't a problem, as I was re-covering the plane anyway, but without cutting the cover, I don't know haow you'd do it. Here's a couple of pics anyway:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp44144.jpg 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	405941   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27530.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	405942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va71170.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	405943  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey...I was able to find a gp triplane at a LHS. Was personaly wondering about the tail skid. Has anyone just replaced it with a steerable type hooked to the rudder. If not, then why not?Papadave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some guys who fly off Paved runways have... Most don't because of looks. Off grass it's not needed. If you burp the throttle the the tail lifts and you can turn it. One way turns better then the other because of torqe of motor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you guys mounting the Magnum 91 Four Stroke angled inverted or angled upright??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you guys mounting the Magnum 91 Four Stroke angled inverted or angled upright??

Angled down 45%

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some how I didn't get notified when guys were adding posts to this thread. The DR-1 turned out to be something almost anyone can love.

The wind here in NW lower Mich is finally almost calm, after 2 solid months of howling gales. So, the triplane goes for a ride today.

Wish me luck!

Bob
    Bob Hunt

\"Progress is marked by great smoking holes in the ground.\"
    -Gen. Chuck Yeager

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I see any obvious crab I go round.
    I remember when I lived on the beach, but the runway was far enough away we didn't have to worry about crabs.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SP:

You called that one right. The Triplane acts like a seaplane on the water during final approach- throttled back, it will show you where the wind is as it's descending. I've learned the hard way that one does not argue with that. Just land. If there's any wind at all, landing distance is not a concern anyway, as it will touch down and roll out in about 10 feet.

The last time I flew it, I came in too hot during a crosswind, and nosed it over real bad. Busted up three of the strut mount points, and did some other minor damage. Today was the first time I've flown it since then, which was September 05. During that time I've switched all my models over to my HiTec Spectrum 6 ch Tx. Got hooked on expo real fast, particularly on the elevators. Ended up with 65% elev expo on the DR-1, and my landings are getting real sweet, now. Somebody said in an earlier post that landings should follow this sequence, and he's right:

Turn final.
    Idle back.
    Dive at the end of the runway, 30-40 degrees nose down.
    Level off and idle up a bit around 4-5' AGL.
    After she settles down, throttle back to idle and let her settle onto the mains.

Sweet, sweet everytime.

I also mixed in 18% down elevator at full throttle. Makes the bird much easier to live with.

Later.
    Bob Hunt

-Gen. Chuck Yeager

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gluing a little rubber under the tail skid helps with the crosswind taxi on a hard surface. Fun to goose up the engine and give down elevator and rudder to turn the tail around.
    Glow Head Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok guy's, after touch down do you try to stear it , or is that asking for trouble?

I broke the bottom wing on mine. the left wing tip started to drop and I countered with right rudder. in the air rudder does not cause this baby to bank and the same hear. I tryed ailerons but It was to late, to low air speed, or the die was cast.

Joe
    If it doesn't fly it wount cetch my eye.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joe:

The wing dropping was probably because of a cross wind. The 1 is really top heavy, and it doesn't take very much. Ignore whatever the windsock says, and pay attention to the tell tale on your antenna, and your face. That's the wind at ground level, and that's what counts with the 1. Remember not to slow down too much. Make a wheel landing, not a three point.
    Bob Hunt

-Gen. Chuck Yeager

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast