Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Old 07-11-2005, 09:14 AM
isaacsgs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hanger 9 p-51 mustang **Trainer?!?**

Thanks for the answers!! This sounds like they did a lot of engineering and research for this plane. I do have one more question. In your opinion, do you think someone who has never flown before could start on this plane with a trainer?

Also, when do you think they will be shipping?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:49 PM
silverdelt

Guys:
Here's a review I found on HobbyMerchandiser:

http://www.hobbymerchandiser.com/pdf...ightReport.pdf
Old 07-26-2005, 01:17 PM
WhtBronco

Wow that review from Hobby Merchandiser makes the P-51 PTS sound better than any trainer I have ever flown.

I sure wish it was gonna be out sooner. My daughters birthday is in September and the only thing she wants is a 4 channel trainer to replace her Aerobird Challenger. She has gotten bored with the Challenger. She loves the look of this P-51 and so do I. With the projected release date of late August I decided I couldn’t wait, since more than likely it will get pushed out a bit. I ended up already buying a semi-symmetrical high wing plane, JR662 and an OS 46AX for her since the LHS gave me a really good deal on the stuff.

Tail draggers are easier IMO as well. Tricycle gear high wings seem to tip over far to easily.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:21 PM
txaggie08

i just dont think its as good as they claim it is......he makes it sound like its the absolute easiest flying plane in the world. it might fly realy well, and it might be easy enough to fly as a trainer, but i just dunno.

Ill give you a quoted argument against the plane(this from my instructor of about15 yrs experience, and a man whos been flying since the first radio systems came out and before(with control line)) IF its a flatbottom wing, its goingto be harder to land and take off since its A. a taildragger and B. a low wing. the way a flatbottom wing produces lift, having it sitting at an angleis going to force the nose to want to pop off the ground fast and not let the tail come up properly(ive seen it happen with a high wing plane so i know what hes talking about.). If they designed it with a mostly symetrical airfoil, its going to make it harder for the folks who have trouble catching on to correcting themselves out of a bank(wich took me a bi to get used to the degree with my hobbistar, and its only a semi symetrical), and make it harder in general to fly

MAYBE if the released it as airframe only, illd be willing to get one and give it to the club(or loan) so i could get my instructors flying it and see what it was like, but its ridiculous they wont sel it as an ARF, only the RTF.

I think it will be a novell idea, and it MIGHT work,i dunno. I have a feeling its not going to be nearly as smooth as the review described when it gets in the hands of a novice pilot

anyway that my 2 pennies on the subject. im gonna go put my plane together so i can go to the field. HOPEFULY i will get to land tonight .....
Old 07-26-2005, 05:49 PM
ICE_MAN

It may be OK... I have my doubts... But I can tell you it's not going to be like that review says IMHO... H9 will sell a bunch... And that's probably all they care about.. But I doubt this will make as good of a trainer as PROVEN equipment, Like the Superstars and Avistars.. Lt 40's and even Nexstars.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:47 PM
isaacsgs

I think we need to wait and see when someone new to flying gets one.

It is thinking like the last few post that was told to Columbus, the Wright Brothers, Neil Armstrong, the designers of stealth, etc. Just because something has not worked in the past doesn't mean that it won't work in the future.

Just my 2cents.

Greg
Old 07-26-2005, 09:13 PM
txaggie08

problem is, its not realy all that pioneering, its been tried before and didnt work fo the most part....
Old 07-27-2005, 07:33 AM
isaacsgs

but I bet most of the ones I mentioned didn't succeed on the very first try. Almost all R&D is more Trial and Error. I know this because I am a mechanical engineer by trade, and I work in R&D. We are always trying something even though most people say it shouldn't work. Sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't.

I personally have my hopes up, but we will see when it is released.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:23 PM
kevhunt
My Feedback: (4)

This will be the first plane I own. I'm almost as green as they come, and am very excited to see something like this for a beginner. Time will tell whether or not it works for newbees.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:48 PM
p51mech38
My Feedback: (3)

I agree. I remember when first getting into R/C, and all that I wanted was to get good enough to fly a warbird. Heck now you can make it the first plane... You know something cool that isn't an airfoiled box
ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Ya gotta admit; its a pretty clever idea.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:55 PM
txaggie08

i will welcome it with open arms if it A. works as proposed, and B. comes out in an arf airframe instead of the arf pack with the evo and jr radio.....might even buy one ten
Old 07-31-2005, 04:01 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ICE_MAN

... But I can tell you it's not going to be like that review says IMHO... as good of a trainer as PROVEN equipment, Like the Superstars and Avistars..

How can you tell us that? The only people who have seen it are giving it high praise. Is it justified? Who knows? We certainly don't.

And, unless I'm mistaken, the AviStar has a semi-symmetrical wing. Flies great; but doesn't slow down nearly as well (or as much) as a flat-bottom wing. IOW, the AviStar is not an ideal primary trainer.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:04 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve said: "the AviStar is not an ideal primary trainer"

I would agree with you but we have two instructors here that will ONLY train on an AviStar! I've yet to fly one.....but they sure look like they are moving too fast for a rank beginner, but a ball of fun with an experienced pilot!

Jerry
Old 07-31-2005, 04:32 PM
txaggie08

dont know about the avistar, but i'm flying the hobbistar(same airfoil), not only that,but its running a .46 ttpro, not the sixty it recommends. I can tell you it will slown down on landing slown enough i can almost catch it(havent tried!!) before it stalls. i would think it would make a very good trainer(teaching me well enough!!)
Old 08-01-2005, 01:48 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, we all have our perceptions. The airplane I flew, which I was told was an AviStar, was a typical cookie-cutter ARF "trainer". I recall that the wing seemed a bit narrow and short. I asked about this, and was told the model was unaltered; it appeared to be box-stock. It flew well, but needed FAR more speed on approach than I consider prudent for a raw beginner. Perhaps it was too heavy; I dunno. But I definitely remember thinking that the wing looked awful skimpy for a trainer...

I like to use the Sig LT-40 as a "benchmark" for trainers, and compare the ones I deal with to my LT-40. To me, this model is the ideal compromise when all factors are considered.

Everyone's mileage will vary, and who knows? The nay-sayers may be right- this thing might well be a pig in a poke.

But some of the posts in this thread remind me of all the hoopla over the CSM "heading hold" gyro when word of it first leaked out. At the time, there were less than a half-dozen in the US. All but one were in the hands of Horizon/JR factory pilots, who were evaluating it; and they weren't talking. I had the only production model in "civilian" hands. Some of the stuff this gadget was claimed to be able to do were simply amazing; and totally ludicrous. But folks were on the forums, repeating this bilge like it was the gospel. And, none of them had even SEEN one yet, much less flown one.

Sound familiar???
Old 08-19-2005, 11:42 PM
aviation421
My Feedback: (68)

Hello everyone,
I am new to the RC world.
Right now I have a F-117 electric dual motors made by airtech(interactive toy concepts) which is a bit hard to fly due to its lack of control surfaces, so to me, this P-51 PTS airplane sounds great, so please keep all the info coming.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:30 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Well guys, we shipped the first P-51 PTS on Friday, so they should start showing up on Hobby Shop shelves today.

BTW, in reply to a post above, it does not have a flatbottom airfoil. It is a semi symmetrical airfoil. The droops are very agressively shaped and make a high lift aifoil at the tip, which makes it impossible to tip stall, but it does not act like a flatbottom wing overall.

Cant wait to see the feedback here.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:01 PM
BIFFETT

My son's and I own a very small shop here in central mn.....We rcv'd our shipment of p51 rts today. We found them all pkgd very well with no damage whatsoever.....assembly took less than an hour........all the parts fit excellent......after the batts were charged we went to a private field to test the model out. The winds were in excess of 15-20 not the most ideal....however we fueld the plane up and the evolution ran rich but very smooth...we decided to put the flaps in the neutral position with the wind an all......takeoff went easily with the wide spaced landing gear an large tires......left the ground in less than 15ft......climbed nice into the wind and very slow without any tendecies to tip stall.....flew a basic pattern with a couple of large loops and barrel rolls.....crisp handling without much effort at all...... landing showed just how stable this thing is.....so slow you wonder why it's still up......just awesome. Keep in mind we did'nt have to adjust anything...the servos...the trim....the engine.....nothing. All were well in the norm straight from the factory. Flew like it was on rails and as stable as I've seen......well done hanger 9 and thank-you for thisplane. An easy sell to say the least.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:54 PM
adaptabl

ORIGINAL: txaggie08

i just dont think its as good as they claim it is......he makes it sound like its the absolute easiest flying plane in the world. it might fly realy well, and it might be easy enough to fly as a trainer, but i just dunno.

Ill give you a quoted argument against the plane(this from my instructor of about15 yrs experience, and a man whos been flying since the first radio systems came out and before(with control line)) IF its a flatbottom wing, its goingto be harder to land and take off since its A. a taildragger and B. a low wing. the way a flatbottom wing produces lift, having it sitting at an angleis going to force the nose to want to pop off the ground fast and not let the tail come up properly(ive seen it happen with a high wing plane so i know what hes talking about.). If they designed it with a mostly symetrical airfoil, its going to make it harder for the folks who have trouble catching on to correcting themselves out of a bank(wich took me a bi to get used to the degree with my hobbistar, and its only a semi symetrical), and make it harder in general to fly

MAYBE if the released it as airframe only, illd be willing to get one and give it to the club(or loan) so i could get my instructors flying it and see what it was like, but its ridiculous they wont sel it as an ARF, only the RTF.

I think it will be a novell idea, and it MIGHT work,i dunno. I have a feeling its not going to be nearly as smooth as the review described when it gets in the hands of a novice pilot

anyway that my 2 pennies on the subject. im gonna go put my plane together so i can go to the field. HOPEFULY i will get to land tonight .....

Sounds like some of the other old guys that "think" they know everything. Yes he may have 15 years flying. How many flights does he have on the PTS P51? After he flies one I would listen to his opinion until then look for reviews by someone with stick time on that plane. We have an old guy her who said that my Brushless Formosa would be lucky to fly in calm winds. I asked him if he ever flew one. He said he didn't need to because he had flown so many other plans. After he saw a few flights he was eating crow. sounds like your instructor.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Casedit

Just ordered mine today... this plane is exactly what someone like me needs

1) I have only 5 flights under my belt on an easystar foamie
2) I have a 6mos old baby = very little time for building
3) Warbird lover, Got into the sport because I want a p-47 kit eventually most likely the aerotech
4) Bottom line, the most flexible trainer i've seen: read the PTS system
5) I won't feel so bad when I wreck it cause the cost is reasonable and the build time was 45minutes. Heck, my easystar complete setup came to $229! This is a comparitive bargain...
6) I get to piss everyone off as they put the plane down as a joke, but i'll be the one having a blast

I'll post flight reports and pics

yeehahh!!
Old 08-24-2005, 05:12 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Yes when you get your plane let us know how things go. I have placed 2 on backorder in our store. Hanger 9 makes some nice products so no doubt it wont be a good flying bird.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:01 PM
rocknrube
My Feedback: (7)

I love this plane!!!! Even my neighbors; The U.S. which are the military might when it comes to powerful aircraft.

The first time I set eyes upon this P-51 I dreamed of flying over the trees and above the runway screaming barrel rolls!!!

Yea really, and guess what...I've never flown a warbird (Gas) ever in my life, let alone an electric J3 Cub Grasshopper which nose-dived into the ground! My fun lasted a mere 30 seconds which royally SUCKED !!!!!!

I figured I'd need more powerr to take-off and gas was the way to go for me, plus I love the fact they include the Simulation software to practice with, however is not the real deal when you get on the field, but should help with a weeks practice or so.

Anyhow, I'm very excited and am currently awaiting my delivery from Horizon Hobbies, thank you Matt for your help! NOW get me my goddamn warbird!!!!!!!!

The newbie chills have risen and I can't hardly wait any longer!!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 04:14 PM
txaggie08

i hope you sitll intend to get an instructor......
Old 08-25-2005, 04:42 PM
rocknrube
My Feedback: (7)

Well I gotta find someone I know out there and then maybe they can plug inot my TX right ? In case I decide to attempt a few 360 degrees and some barrel snaps or is it wing sanps ?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:10 PM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

Just got back from flying one for my buddy who owns a Hobbytown.I test fly all the demo planes he gets and this is a winner.We took off the landing gear brakes and the leading edge stall strips.The plane looks really nice and everything went together well.Radio is a 5 channel with two model memory.We installed a flap servo and ran the engine one tank on the ground.Takeoff was right down the center line with just a touch of rudder.In the air she flys like a trainer but handles like a pattern plane.Stall was a gentle fall of the left wing,no big suprises.Went into loops and split es's.Inverted was just a little push on the stick.Lands just like a trainer,pull off the power on final and keep the wings level she will float in all she needs is a little flare to the big wheels to touch down.With flaps she lands a little slower and you can bring her in a steep decent.I fly higher end aerobatic planes but had a ball with this today.Good job Mike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.