Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

KMP/eBay YAK-54 Build and Fly

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

KMP/eBay YAK-54 Build and Fly

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:13 PM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KMP/eBay YAK-54 Build and Fly

Hey Richie...You did a nice job matching your cowl to the covering. Care to share how you did it?

Mark
Old 02-24-2012, 05:22 AM
RichieN
My Feedback: (5)

The images are a little deceiving, it does not match as good as it looks. I’ve used Top Flite Lusterkote.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 AM
3D Romeo

Richie,

I'm familiar with Lusterkote. They seem to use very little pigment in their paints. Usually requiring a lot of coats to get it to match anywhere close. Your's does look good in the photos though.

Did you strip the original paint off first? If so, how did you do that? I read earlier in this thread where somebody recommended using "NAPA Decal & Paint Stripper". I guess it works on the paint used on the older KMP cowls, but not the newer versions. The one I got is the older one. So I should be good.

Mark
Old 02-24-2012, 10:05 AM
RichieN
My Feedback: (5)

I did not. The white on the cowl is the original finish. I’ve lightly sanded the blue before spraying with lusterkote.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:27 AM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Very nice looking plane.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:15 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: catflyer

ORIGINAL: microdon2

catflyer - that's a nice looking plane. What's the wingspan, and what engine are you using?
That's not mine in the picture.I have one with the original Teal/White/red paint scheme.It's got an 87'' wingspan and I'm using a Hobby King 50cc motor (it's actually 55cc). I was real reluctant to try the inexpensive motor but after setting up a plane for another club member with a Hobby King motor and doing the first half dozen shakedown flights I was hooked and now I'm running several of the 26cc and several of the 55's.Mine is the one on the far right of this picture. It's now my ''every trip to the field'' plane regarless of wha else I'm taking.
Hobby King has a number of engines. Exactly which ones are you using that you are having the good service out of? Especially in your 87 incher. Also, what is the most flights you have so far on any of those engines?
Old 03-11-2012, 02:49 AM
Catalinaflyer

ORIGINAL: Luchnia
Hobby King has a number of engines. Exactly which ones are you using that you are having the good service out of? Especially in your 87 incher. Also, what is the most flights you have so far on any of those engines?
Okay, sorry it has taken so long to reply, every time I try I get an error message from RCU and finally just gave up on this forum all together.

The engines I'm using are the RCG ones from the USA warehouse and the one on the Yak is the 50cc (which is actually 55.6cc measured). As of this past Friday I don't know the "number" of flights but that engine had 33 hours and 18 minutes on it's timer on my radio which is any time the throttle is above 10% so that time doesn't include idle time. I did finally have a dead stick with it a couple weeks back but that was because we had a drastic weather change and I never re-set the needles from the initial startup the very first flight. I re-tuned it. re-built the landing gear mounts (did I mention that I ran off the end of the runway, caught a wheel pant in a hole and flipped the plane damaging the landing gear mount) took it out this past week and ran another 2 gallons of fuel through it.

I did finally get my little key-fob camera to work half way decent so I will try and get some video this afternoon.

In addition I just took a .40 size H9 Piper Pawnee and put a RCG 26cc engine on it. Maiden was Friday and it ran and flew like a champ except that with the 18" prop I only have 1/2" tip clearance on the prop when the tail comes up so I'm ordering a 16" 3 blade prop for it. There was another club member there Friday with a H9 Pulse 125 that he has a DLE 20 in trying to get it running correct. Ineed to mention this is the second airframe for that motor, he lost the first one when the engine quit at the wrong moment. Anyhow they spent the better part of 3 hours tryiing to get it running correct all the while Iwas flying the Pawneee and Yak back to back and never touched the needles on the Pawnee after the initial start. I had a total of 12 flights Friday, 7 with the pawnee at 12 minutes each and 5 with the Yak at 10 minutes + 2 to 3 min overruns on each and the only problem I had all day was loosing control of my foamy and breaking the prop, oh and running out of gasoline.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:36 PM
twiggy1981

hi is anyone still flying the kmp yak ive just got one in a deal anlong with 2 other models a hangar 9 extra 260 and a buadis quick 400 small fast glider/pylonracer the extra was ready to go but only had spektrum ds 821 all round soon changed for some nice hitec hs 5665mh high voltage servos got all 3 models for £300

the yak when i got it had jr es579 all round but 2 fried them selfs on the rudder so i had to use 2 ds821s on the ailerons for now still got jr 579 on rudder and elevators and a dl50 is my choice of power on the stock muffler for now ive got a can but cant see a easy way of fitting it without major surgery. mine has the same issues with the paint crackin on the cowl and looks like its been repainted at somepoint black n white checkers its had about 3 flights now seems to be pritty well balenced and it flies better in the wind than my old carden yak so far im happy need a few more flights on it yet hopefully this weekend here is a few pictures of it

Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 PM
3D Romeo

I still have one that I got from a friend who bought it off of eBay many years ago. After receiving it in the mail he stripped the covering off of it to inspect the airframe (as many people were finding problems with the construction in their Yaks), and he found many areas that needed to be repaired. He didn't want to deal with it. So I picked it up from him pretty cheap. I fixed many of the areas since then, but still haven't finished it yet. I'm really looking forward to completing it though. As I've only heard good things about how they fly!

Mark
Old 08-11-2012, 02:03 AM
twiggy1981

mine seem to fly spot on not had it doing anything low down yet as ive had a few tuning issues with the engine and a couple of tank problems i was flying thursday and the engine started missin every now and agen so i thought rather than risk a dead stick landing with a big model ill land it wen i landed n brought it back i did a full throttle run up and it stopped and wouldnt start agen tried allsorts then i took the plug out put a small amount of fuel directly into the cylinder and tried start it agen it firered so i proceeded to take the tank out and check it and lown behold the pick up had fel off inside had i needed to go round agen i think it could of ended up in a mess lol

ive since re plumbed the tank with fresh fuel tube and re tuned the engine and it seems to be running spot on now ill find out tomorrow wen i fly it agen