Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GSP Giles 202

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GSP Giles 202

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 01:38 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GSP Giles 202

Here is the video link
http://media.putfile.com/WM9_256Kbps_download_NTSC_437
Old 10-15-2005, 08:52 PM
nitro wing

I had the 7 and 9 nth flight on this today.It's flying well,nothing falling apart.It seems built quite well.Tossed the the Zinger wooden prop for the APC 18x6W.leaned the mixtures a touch more as engine is pretty well broke in now.This engine is a kicker,Bulldozer power with exceptional fuel consumption.A 14 ounce tank had a 1/2 tank fuel left after 10 minutes of moderate throttle flying.Vertical is unlimited.I was doing power climbs on knifedge to straight lines out of sight,then realized I had 4 more clicks of power before the stick maxxed out,with noticable rpm gain
I upped the elevator throws to 50 degrees from 30 and added a bunch more expo.Harriers nicely now.could use some aft CG soon.The seemingly small ailerons work in post stall and seem quite adequate so far.At low speed you can yank the elevator and an instant Harrier is had,very little wingrock.Sink rate was perfect.hovers are close to locking in.I am still a 100 fet up,as I am cautious.Snapped out a bit at an inverted elevator yank,but airspeed was too much..Flat Spins well but needs more aft CG.Recovers at the last input from rotation,no extra spin.I am quite pleased with this Giles and engine combo.Still early for a rock solid evaluation,but this is turning out to be an impressive performer.I will buy another. It may be an okay 3D plane.I dont have the skills to really play in the post stall much,but this Giles is building my confidence level quickly.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:26 PM
ninelaps

It was looking good to me. Nice model, well flown.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:28 AM
nitro wing

Good to see you on here ninelaps.Your showtime is looking promising also.I have to thank you for helping me clean up that big mess I made with the Katana a few weeks back.Lets hope for some more great flying days soon [8D]
Old 10-18-2005, 03:37 AM
Pete850

Thought you might like this one of my Giles taken a couple of weeks ago on a clear day. Before you ask - no, it's not superimposed on a blue background, it really was a beautiful day (a rarity in the UK I must admit).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66862.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	340661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42355.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	340662  
Old 10-18-2005, 09:08 AM
bigbuster
My Feedback: (12)

Great to hear that this plane flies so well since I just boought one . I have been trying to find the right engine combo for it. The MVVS has been my choice and am wondering if it has power enough for unlimited vertical. This is a beautiful plane it is also available in blue. I don't know if you guys can get it in that color but here in Germany it is available in blue as well. I am installing digitals all around. I only have the engine problem to overcome. What do you all
think about the Moki 1.8 it is a bit heavier than the OS or the MVVS but awesome power.
Pete the pics are great. The video really got me going Thanks Nitro

Did you guys use thin ca for the hinges?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 10-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Pete850

Hi Jeff,

The MVVS 1.60 glow with a 17 x 8 has unlimited vertical but will not have the punch that an OS has. But for less than half the price I'm not complaining.

I use thin CA for all my hinges and have NEVER had a failure.

Good luck with yours. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Cheers

Pete
Old 10-18-2005, 03:22 PM
DAREKRC

Hi,
Jamara sells in blue colour[sm=idea.gif].

http://shop.jamara-produkte.de/produ...oducts_id=1045

Darek

Name:	Fd92581.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	340801  
Old 10-19-2005, 01:20 PM
bigbuster

Pete, thanks for the info... It is kind of funny with the MVVS because on paper it should, pull with, or better than the OS. Specs. are almost identical. I really like the no nitro feature of the mvvs, but would like to torque it and pull out when I need to... I have a friend with the old and heavy ST 2500 on his and it has great vertical it will do knife edge loops, he's afraid to torque
it. decisions,decisions...

Jeff

Old 10-20-2005, 10:48 AM
nitro wing

Cool
If you have to decide between the Moki and OS,I would go for the OS.The 160 needs a pump for superb performance but if it is lighter take it.I am now moving the CG back a little as with the OS it came out spot on.A heavier engine,may require that tailweight be added.The moki takes time to break in,The OS ran extremely well after 5 x(14 oz) tanks.Hopefully get more vid soon.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Pete850

Nitro,

What prop & rpm are you getting with your OS 1.60?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:03 PM
nitro wing

I dunno on the RPM,it screams..It is an 18x6W blade.If you can get one try it,The motor does not seem to have to work hard to turn it,but it is a super thrust/hight torque blade.This is my second pane,where I attached an APC prop (W series).It makes massive dfference.I find the plane to be a little speedy yet with this prop,maybe step up to a 19 or 20 inch blade.I had very good success with Graupner props (super series) Excellent sound and very efficient.The 160 is running at 20% power during rolls and horizontal flights,half power at vertical climbs.Full power is only mementarily poured on during vetical snaps ,waterfalls etc.Knifedges all day with 50% power and 30 degrees throw.Hovers below half power.I am at sea level.
I am loving this thing..
Today I tried some harrier rolls,very sloppy and floppy,Harriers were really good.Got the landing down very slow.
Tried Harrier rolls again..they worked good on this flight,need some power and I could do them quite well.Need to adjust CG and aileron deflection to Max.Slow rolls and point rolls were exact,pretty to watch.Pulls KE loop with ease,but I chickened out heading toward the ground and bailed out.Tried waterfalls,will do them faily clean,but needs better throttle timing and aft CG.Full up no prob as long as airspeed is low,locks into Harrier.Inverted Harrier too flat,needs nose up(more practice with throttle and CG) IMAC sequence stuff was clean,easy to stay with it.Stalled wing left and right numerous times,by yanking on it at idle,some power and she is happy again,Stalls are mellow,no spinning into ground,just a drop to let you know that things are to slow and power is low.flys off easily with some power without droplping to earth.
So far this has been a very solid ARF with excelent flight performance.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:16 PM
nitro wing

The 160 runs on 0 -15 % nitro,no more required..
Today as the engine is completely broke in,the fuel consumption blew me away..I have the stock 14 oz tank..after 10 minutes of goofing around,I landed and packed it in for the day.My tank had 2/3 fuel remaining!!
My .46 and .61 would use more in 1 flight,of course they were run harder per flight.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:28 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Thanks Nitro Wing, I just saw this plane and was needing a replacemnt for my CPro Extra that went in do to a mechanical failure. I've always loved the look of the Giles, and your weight and flight reports have got me sold. Thanks for posting all of the great videos and flight information. BTW what muffler are you using on your OS, I used the slimline on mine and have had great luck without a pump.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:45 AM
nitro wing

Some people claim that they run fine without a pump..I used a Bisson on mine,clean fit, Vp 30 pump.Enjoy!
Old 10-21-2005, 03:16 AM
bigbuster

Nitro, thanks for the info... you are right on the engine the lighter the better, plus I already have the v30 pump. Just think if you could put a pipe on this but it takes away from the look of the plane. Have you run yours with 0% nitro I am trying to get away from the nitro, I have been taking a beatin on the prices here in Germany. I have been flying nothing but helis for the past 3 years 20% and up.

Jeff
Old 10-21-2005, 03:18 AM
Pete850

Hi Nitro,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you're having a blast with yours.

I'm just not getting the revs with my MVVS. I'm using an 18 x 8 wood cut down to 17" to give me a few more revs and of course being an MVVS I can't use any more than 5% nitro. This gives me about 7,600 at best with a Bisson Pitts silencer. I was only getting 7,200 with the 18x8 and straight fuel. I'm thinking about drilling out the rolled-in exhaust outlets to try and reduce the choking effect and see if that helps.

I did try a Zinger 18x6 but speed was drastically reduced. I may try an 18 x 6W APC to see if that helps, but they are £22 here (about $38), which is a waste if it doesn't work. I already wasted £18 on the Zinger.

Having said all this, the performance is OK for me at the moment and it will pull vertical forever.

I guess maybe I'm trying to make a "silk purse from a sow's ear" as they say.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:11 AM
nitro wing

If you can buy the APC 18x6W there,then run to the store quickly and install it,spend the money.You will post happily and exited the next time
Old 10-21-2005, 10:03 PM
nitro wing

Had flight # 13.
It was a 15 min flight,and had 1/3 tank(14oz) left after numerous power blasts.Quite impressed with this motor.I blip the throttle every few seconds just above idle,thats enough to fly around normal aerobatics.It is smooth.no airframe shaking wildly.I have to spend some time on the bench as the engine is broke in/tuned,and the idle is too high now.I cannot kill engine via radio now.It drops below a 1000 rpm and wont quit,maybe because of the pump..I can plug the exhaust stacks with my fingers and the engine just drops to a few hundred rpm,and just barely dies eventually.The Giles is flying well,still getting that wingdrop,both ways the odd time,but only when I force the elevator and super slow speed.Should do a lateral check though.Will move CG and post on the outcome.Did 4 circuits of slow rolling circles around the field,I was a little white knuckled,but this is where the Giles seemed to excel,tracked nicely and corrected direction smoothly.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:12 AM
nitro wing

ORIGINAL: bigbuster

Nitro, thanks for the info... you are right on the engine the lighter the better, plus I already have the v30 pump. Just think if you could put a pipe on this but it takes away from the look of the plane. Have you run yours with 0% nitro I am trying to get away from the nitro, I have been taking a beatin on the prices here in Germany. I have been flying nothing but helis for the past 3 years 20% and up.

Jeff
Hey bigbuster.I was born in Nuermberg and moved here in 82...I think the 160 runs well on on 5%,havent tried myself but others have.O may work too,but 5% is not much more in price.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Pete850

Hi chaps,

Had a bit of a misshap today - I was flying the Giles for about 10 minutes and had just been playing around knife edging and doing a couple of snap rolls (snaps beautifully by the way) when the elevator servo stuck on full deflection!! The servo is a Hitec Digital with metal gears (I forget the model - 5345MG? or similar). So here I am about 100 ft up with a plane that's rolling all over the place. Anyway, after a second or two I realise what's going on and apply full opposite rudder - no effect. Switch full rates off - this halves the problem but it's still trying to go round in circles. I managed to get her over the grass and cut the throttle, keeping the wings as level as I could and hope for the best. Finally pancaked it into the deck. Damage is broken carbon U/C, prop, tailwheel ripped out, cracked cowl. That's about it. Everything else seemed fine.

It was a real shame as I was just starting to have fun on full rates.

I can't replicate the fault at home and both servo and receiver seem fine. I will however not feel comfortable until I have both fully checked out.

Bit of a bummer really, but had a couple of great flights with the Spit though.

The U/C will be on order first thing tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:26 PM
nitro wing

Yikes,what a bummer..Glad it is not totalled.For the glass repairs I use Oatey ABS cement,usually used in home plumbing,that with some light cloth makes very good repairs.Maybe a bodyshop around your area can help with the paint.Hopefully you get her all pretty again.I guess this kinda blows the funds for the APC prop,but I would stil try and get one,you wont regrett it.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Pete850

It was a real bummer as I was just starting to play with her at full rates too.

Gonna replace the Hitec digital servo with a Futaba or JR and a new Futaba 138DF Receiver first.

Can't get a replacement undercarriage over here for a few weeks(!!) as Flair in the UK are relocating. Is there anywhere over there where I could get one pronto?

Old 10-24-2005, 11:21 AM
nitro wing

http://www.jet-hobbies.com/ or I heard chief aircraft are carrying this aircraft too
Old 10-30-2005, 06:17 PM
jho

Hello,

after reading this thread I immediately ordered my own Giles 202. I'm quite satisfied with the kit however the wings do not really fit. There remains a little gap of about 4mm between wing and fuse, either on the leading or on the trailing edge. I'm not sure what will happen when I tighten the screws for the wing. Maybe the wing tube will break.

What about your planes, do the wings fit 100%? My Giles might be an exception...?

Regards Jan

Name:	Yv65874.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	346171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12936.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	346172  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.