Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Cosmic Wind Minnow

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Cosmic Wind Minnow

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:37 AM
dkurschner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Cosmic Wind Minnow

I'm just curious on what your thoughts are on using a Saito 82 in the Minnow. Too small? Whaddya Think?
Old 09-29-2005, 07:23 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Yup, too small. A ST .90 at 4500 feet alt. just flies it. Don't know what to recommend. MM[&o]
Old 10-02-2005, 10:41 AM
gustesta

Is it possible to change into 3D acrobat? How fast does it go?? Thanks!!!!
Old 10-22-2006, 03:03 AM
blackmonte
My Feedback: (11)

Are you guys getting it to balance on the recommended CG? I'm not getting very good results with the GP balancer. I've got the OS 91fs mounted up front and had the battery on top of the servo tray to start with. Was nose heavy there so I moved the battery to the back side of the servo tray and it was better but I don't get a steady balance point. It will either tip to the nose or the tail, it's not consistent. I tried moving the CG 1/8th forward and 1/8th back of the recommended CG and I get about the same results. I get mixed results, it just depends on the attitude of the plane which way it tips. I think it's pretty close so what do you guys think? Aslo what prop size would you recommend running on the OS 91fs? I was thinking about a 14x7. Also this is the best Arf that I have built, everthing fit excellent and it is very goodlooking plane. I can't believe how good the cowl fits!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:35 AM
R/C Darryl

I epoxied Lead weights Past the servo tray at the first rib section to balance mine. It took about 12 7G weights to balance the plane.
I'm using a 12x12 prop with an os 91 surpass 4 stroke on mine. Check the balance on your spinner mine was no good, I replaced it with a tru-turn spinner. Lost 2 mufflers because the spinner was out of balance. The plane turns better on high rates than low so i set my low rates at the recomended high rates.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:18 PM
blackmonte
My Feedback: (11)

Well I maidened my minnow today and everything went good!! I was worried about it because as I stated in my above post I couldn't get the plane to balance exactly on the recommended cg, I knew it was close but I didn't know what to expect. I cranked the OS 91 surpass for the first time and couldn't believe how good of idle it had. I run it a few minutes varying the throttle and shut it down to cool. Restarted and made sure it was set to the rich side and here we go. I knew upon takeoff when it didn't stand on it's tail that I was gonna be OKA few clicks of down elev and a few clicks right ail and it was as smooth as can be. I was surprised at how smooth it flew, very stable plane at all speeds. I had a small headwind to land into and it landed just as good as my 4*60. As I said before this is one of the best arf's I have purchased as far as build & fit. If you been thinking about buying this arf, go for it, I think you will be pleased. I can't wait to ring it out once the 91 gets good and broke in.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:43 PM
L48

I've been following your guys post for a while and am interested in trying something new. These two planes you have been talking about ( Little Toni & Minnow) sound like something I might like to try.
The questions that I have are - can these planes fly off grass without any problem, and will a ST-75 or a OS-91 4 stroke work good enough on these planes? I know they will not go as fast as you have been talking about but will they be ok for just playing around?
Can you guys give me any help on this subject.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Nitro Dew

I'm also interested in the Minnow ... any more flight reports? Blackmonte - are you still happy with your setup?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 AM
thisoneused
My Feedback: (-1)

Hey guys,,,,
For those that are thinking about a Minow,,,,I say go for it!!!!!!!!
Ive had mine for a couple years now and really like the way it flies! It truly does fly on rails!! Very crisp aileron control/reaction. It seems to stay in whatever attitude you place it, whether it's knife edge at high speeds or 45deg uplines.
You'll like it,,,,I'm sure of it!
I'm in Ohio and the plane flies well with a ST G-90.....
One thing to think of prior to flying this plane.....It doesnt like to scrub off much speed when landing with the larger pitch props! So if you plan on running a high pitch prop to really get her going, make sure you shut it down to a low idle much sooner than you would your standard fun fly plane. She will just blow right past your runway if you dont!!!
As far as grass runways for this plane.....absolutley!!! I fly off a grass field myself, and it does just fine.....As a matter of fact, it probably handles better than some of my other fun fly planes because of it's larger size and weight.

Anyhow,,,buy it and have fun!

Jim
Old 02-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Syssa Aircraft

I am interested in getting one of these planes (Minnow).

I have two engines ready to go into something. One is a fairly lightweight Zenoah 23cc (modded) screamer (14,000 rpms). I also have a G-2300 ST.

Is it possible to get either one of these in this minnow to get it up to 150 mph? My g2300 will spin a 16x6 about 9200. Not sure about what a higher speed prop would have to be on this plane.

Flying performance is not too important...I am looking for speed! I know either of these engines will be a bit on the heavy side for this plane...but I want speed!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Syssa Aircraft

Forgot to mention...I fly mostly 3D....edges, Funtana 100xs and such so I do not have much feel for these pylon racer types...but they do look exciting!...and I want in!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:54 PM
sskianpour

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

I'm running a 13-8 through my Saito 91 on my Little Toni. Decent speed, but nothing to write home about. Doubt she's doing more than 70 mph. I'm up at 5500 feet cuz I live in Denver. Any ideas? Prop change? To what? I was thinking about upgrading to a Saito 125. Too much engine or no, I dont want my firewall to rip out. Need more speed. Help!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should try a 12-10. You have to run more pitch at a higher rpm.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:36 PM
sskianpour

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12-10 huh? I'll give it a go, I'm thinking of upgrading to Saito 125, too much engine? Firewall issues?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Saito 1.25 turns even less rpm (lower redline), you would need more pitch yet. You need as much pitch as you can get and spin it about 10,000. If you can spin a 12-10 at about 10,000 on the ground, that should get you into the 90's or a little more. Rpm times pitch devided by 1000 is a ruff estimate of top speed not considering drag.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:45 PM
kochj

Not that active of a foum lately....
I think that a 2300 would be way nose heavy. I guess you could try and mount the servos for the elevator and rudder in the tail! Try it out and let us now how it goes! I would try a OS 120 ax 1st but, it sounds like you are not wanting to spend that much on a engine. I think that it evens out though if you were going to use a .90 s-stroke and then spend 100+ for the tuned pipe system (header,pipe). I think it evens out that way, Like they say ther is no replacement for displacement. The 120 ax weighs the same as a .90 os! Most probly know this already. I run the 120ax in my funtana 100x and seems quite well for power.
Ohh! almost forgot! You could put a GMS 1.20 in it! 125$ jsut not sure how well it will run! Never had one! But would be willing to try it.

ORIGINAL: tsyssa

I am interested in getting one of these planes (Minnow).

I have two engines ready to go into something. One is a fairly lightweight Zenoah 23cc (modded) screamer (14,000 rpms). I also have a G-2300 ST.

Is it possible to get either one of these in this minnow to get it up to 150 mph? My g2300 will spin a 16x6 about 9200. Not sure about what a higher speed prop would have to be on this plane.

Flying performance is not too important...I am looking for speed! I know either of these engines will be a bit on the heavy side for this plane...but I want speed!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:18 AM
kochj

185 shiped from tower!!!
Hard to beat
Old 05-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Datahazard

Here's the link to the YouTube of my maiden flight. [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUppbXPm0KQ]Click Here. [/link]

I'm running an OS FX .91 and everything's been reinforced.

FYI: kochj - I had one of those GMS 120s in my Rare Bear, and it was a pain in the balls to get tuned and broken in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65146.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	688962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18081.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	688963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53439.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	688964  
Old 05-24-2007, 11:23 PM
kochj

Ouch!! thankyou for the heads up on that engine!!
How did you rarebear go? Do you still have it? and when the engine did run, diid it have enough power to move it at a good clip..

Well I have my Minnow in a box ontop of the GP hawk box.
Being that I now have my almost new, OS 1.20AX 2-stroker available to use ( I totalled my funtana 100X, hated that plane)
I am going to place it in this one.....

Should get it moving quite well, and runs like a rolex watch.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:52 PM
russm

just started puting mine together today and looking for some tips. i have a tony with a os 90 4- stroke and 13-8 apc prop. pretty fast plane and handles on a dime. but i did lose the muffler due to vibration. i am putting a jett 60lx on the minnow. any thoughts, prop size, etc... thanks, russm
Old 05-27-2007, 09:34 PM
kochj

Sorry can't help to much on that one...... I would post that q, in the q&A section.... Probly would get answered pretty quick!

The 4-stroke .91 was fast? what speed w/the 4-stroke?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:27 PM
russm

some of the guys figured around 90 mph. just a guess though. russm
Old 05-28-2007, 12:10 AM
kochj

That is pretty good.
Do you what others have gotter there 2-stroke 90's up to?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:02 AM
russm

the only other tony at my field has a os 120 in it. having some of the same hinge lining up problems as others on the minnow. no big deal. i only complaint is with great planes and its covering. i have put together around 50 arfs by 7 or dif. manufs. and for some reason great planes are by far the most wrinkled and the most difficult to unwrinkle. other wise this is a quality arf. russm
Old 05-28-2007, 02:42 PM
kochj

The CA hinges?
I may put in robat pins, so no big deal on that part. I have not had good luck with ca hinges.
especially when it is overpowered and will be pulling hard g's in the coners.
Thanks for the heads up though!
I will be puting the OS 120AX in this one. Just have to make sure it wieghts the same as the .90 2-stroke. I think it does.
I also though about getting a tuned pipe as well. That would surely had some more rpm's..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.