Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Which 3D is the best pattern flyer?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Which 3D is the best pattern flyer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 08:49 AM
GMoneyPit
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 3D is the best pattern flyer?

I recently flew a Tracer (maker?) on G2 and it was so easy to knife edge and tracked so true. I can't find any info on this plane, but I didn't like the fact that it had retracts. Given this, I have a few questions:

1) Does the Javelin II (Cermark) fly anything like the Tracer?
2) Is there a 3D plane that flies anything like a pattern plane. One that comes to mind is the Powerline Edge 540 (.46).
3) Is there a pattern flier that can do 3D?

Bear in mind that I'm a pretty new pilot and just beginning to get into 3D and was practicing on G2 when I ran across the Tracer. It was a blast to fly, I guess because of how true it tracked. I'm just trying to figure out what plane to get next. I currently have an Ultra Stick 40 and Twist 3D. Both are very fun to fly but I want something a little different. Can any of you help me out what some ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
G
Old 08-27-2005, 10:30 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Which 3D is the best pattern flyer?

With enough power and enough control throw, you can fly 3D with anything. But, having said that, I think you would find it hard to learn 3D maneuvers with a pattern plane. They are designed to react slowly and smoothly to control inputs, and 3D of course is just the opposite. The Javelin is primarily a pattern plane, like your Twist is primarily a 3D plane.

The semi-scale Edges and Extras are actually your best choice. They are not too strongly oriented toward pattern or 3D, but, depending on weight and power, can be very good at both.

I personally think the Pacific Aeromodel Edge 540T is by far the best in a 40 size, but it costs a bit more. The cheaper versions tend to have much higher wing loadings and smaller control surfaces, with really hurts their 3D potential.

Jim
Old 08-27-2005, 11:08 AM
GMoneyPit

Thanks for the reply. The thing that caught my eye about the Powerline is that the wings look thicker (leaning toward that of a twist, but not nearly that exagerated), making me think it would be better at 3D. I've read good reviews of the PA as well. I'm wondering if I should just keep 3D and pattern separated and go with a pattern plane for my next bird. If I were to go that route, do you have one to recommend?

Thanks,
G
Old 08-27-2005, 01:13 PM
jrf

The Tracer by Great Planes (discontinued) seems to be close to the style of the Javelin, more like a competition pattern plane. There are a lot of that style planes available from the various importers. Try hobbypeople.net, airborne-models.com and giantscaleplanes.com for examples.

Hanger 9 Aresti and Great Planes Venus are good sport-pattern planes. Less majestic in flight, more fun to fly.

Jim
Old 08-28-2005, 03:11 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pattern 3D planes are few nowdays. Especially in the 40 size range. The Aresti is a very nice pattern sport flyer but will never 3D at all. I would say the best bet for pattern-3D-aerobatic is the Fliton Extra 330, it will be the best compromise for what you are looking for.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:33 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

If you want to step up in size there are a couple that come to mind. The Showtime is pretty decent at pattern and VERY decent at 3D. The EF Yak is good a pattern, at least for a 3D type plane, but you can't get it. Ultra RC has the Quest 3D. I have no experience with it but it looks like a pattern plane with huge control surfaces. The comments on the forums are generally good.
This will just make your decision harder.
Thanks
Barry
Old 08-28-2005, 09:44 AM
AHPowelson
My Feedback: (37)

40-sized pattern/3D:

Goldberg Matrix
Modeltech Twister
Lanier Razor

Old 08-28-2005, 10:18 AM
GMoneyPit

I've heard bad things about the Lanier planes. I really like the looks of the Matrix but I didn't think it was available anywhere. I love the looks of the Twister. I've read good things about it regarding 3D, but not much as far as pattern flying goes.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:25 AM
AHPowelson
My Feedback: (37)

The Matrix is only $109 from Tower. I love mine! There's an active Matrix thread going on right now.[8D]

Old 08-28-2005, 10:56 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yes ... the Matrix will 3D well ... seen it and it looks good.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:28 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With a .40 sized bird its hard to be competitive in anything beyond Sportsman. You also might want to look at the Excelleron 50 (sold by hobbypeople). I have the 90 sized bird and its fully capable of both.

I did a comparison of my bird to the Showtime. The tail surfaces have the same area. My wing area is 40 sq. in. less.. My wingspan is 1" longer and my body is 1" shorter. They are so closely matched that I decided not to buy the Showtime.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:13 PM
GMoneyPit

This link http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFGS8&P=0 says that it is discontinued (Matrix). I sure do like it. This place advertises for $109 but also shows as [link=http://www2.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/woi0001p?&I=GBGA1075&P=O]discontinued[/link]. Maybe I should look into 60-90 size birds. Does that open the door for more options?
Old 08-28-2005, 03:48 PM
jrf

GMoneyPit;

FYI; All Goldberg planes are now manufactured by Lanier. All the good and bad things you've heard about Lanier apply equally to Goldberg.

Jim