Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

Old 10-15-2005, 01:12 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9 60 Size P-47 Thunderbolt-Build & Flying

rcandy, the included metal engine mount will not work on the super tigre engine, the bolt wholes on the engine do not align properly with the precut line on the aluminum mount.You will need to get some nylon mount; I highly reccomend AGAINST getting the great planes adjustable mount! The best is to go with something like a dave brown mount or perhpaps a Hangar 9 Nylon Mount. Either way You are going to have to drill new wholes in the firewall so be sure to keep the relative angle correct.

Personnaly, seeing as you are investing ins ome air retracts, I find it odd you aren't going to use a nice scale sounding 4 stroke like the lovley Saito100[sm=stupid.gif]
Old 10-15-2005, 08:56 AM
oldtyme

DW, I have three 4-stroke motors.......one being a Saito FA100 Golder Knight. In fact I have
a 4-stroke in my Hanger 9 AT6, but I prefer 2-strokes for a multitude of reasons the biggest
of which would be price. In most cases you pay almost double for the same power in a 4-stroke as you do for a 2-stroke. Also, a friend of mine put it very succinctly when he said that a major
difference between the two would be that either a 2-stroke runs or it doesn't whereas with
a 4-stroke you are always messing with it. I am not that all impressed with 4-strokes but that is
just personal preference. As for the SuperTigre G75.........well, it has sufficient power for all
the applications I am going to use it for and I can get it, muffler and all completely in the cowl with the exhaust exitting somewhere close to where it should. With a 4-stroke, I would have big
un-scale looking pipe hanging out of that beautiful cowl. Obviously I am in the minority here because so many people opt for 4-strokes but I prefer to travel down a different path.

Regards,
Andy
Old 10-15-2005, 09:29 AM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

ANDY I feel your pain... I too love 2 strokes.... and in my opinion...a 4 stroke really doesnt sound like a Big Radial engine either... Listen to a Corsair or a P-47 they dont sound like a r/c 4 stroke either.....Just My Opinion ...everyone has one.... I love the power of the 2 strokes...I seem to have just as much fun with my 2 strokes as my flying buddies do that fly their 4 strokes....Just I pay 1/2 the cost and get to run 5%-10% on SuperTigres while they pay a lot more for the fuel they run ...I know the 4 strokes use less fuel..
Hey DW do you have a H9 Corsair? What engine are you running in it???????? Is it real fast .....???
Old 10-15-2005, 09:48 AM
CAPT John
My Feedback: (15)

I finally got my Robostruts and realized that the 3/8" 380 Series struts are too short for the P-47. Now I have to decide whether to drill out the 511 3/8" retracts to accept the 7/16" 440 series Robostruts or exchange them for 7/16" ready 530 retracts. I like the spring-down function of the 511s, so I'm leaning toward doing the modification. Has anyone else installed their air retracts yet?

By the way, I was in Washington DC on business this week and stopped by the National Air and Space Museum annex near Dulles airport and looked at a beautiful P-47D. I was so fired up to get home and install the air retract system...bummer! [:@]

John
Old 10-15-2005, 10:11 AM
lownloud

this is probably a dumb question but would a 60 size two stroke actually fly this plane. I have one with a neat pitts muffler and they sure have power for how little they weigh....... but is anyone actually going to use one? I know its called a 60 size but with the retracts and that thick wing.... well I dont know.

would it work?
Old 10-15-2005, 10:34 AM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

THose of you (DW/ darryl-e) and others who are running a 2 Stroke engine...What Nylon or other engine mount did you use to mount your 2 Stroke Engine with?? I am going with my ST 90 and was wondering if a greatplanes mount will work or if there is a reason someone mentioned not to use it...
Thanks
Tomas from TX
Old 10-15-2005, 06:15 PM
oldtyme

John,

I guess I don't understand why the Robostruts are too short. The retracts, at least the ones I ordered, come with wires that you have to cut off to mount the Robostruts. Can't you just cut the wires long. These are the very same Robostruts that are recommend for my Top Flite
P47 and the TF uses Robart 606 HD retracts and the 650 straight Robostruts like we ordered.

The TF wingspan is 63-1/2" and the H9 is 65 so there's very little difference..................????

Andy
Old 10-15-2005, 07:04 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I'm confused now; I am trying to figure out exactly which Retracts to order; will the Robarts 510 85 degree, 3/8" Robostrut ready retracts with Straight RoboStrut 650's work for this plane? Thanks, Doug.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:14 PM
CAPT John

ORIGINAL: rcandy

John,

I guess I don't understand why the Robostruts are too short. The retracts, at least the ones I ordered, come with wires that you have to cut off to mount the Robostruts. Can't you just cut the wires long. These are the very same Robostruts that are recommend for my Top Flite
P47 and the TF uses Robart 606 HD retracts and the 650 straight Robostruts like we ordered.

The TF wingspan is 63-1/2" and the H9 is 65 so there's very little difference..................????

Andy
Andy,
The 380 series 3/8" Robostruts I ordered fit right into the 511RS Robart retracts (the RS models are Robostrut ready). Unfortunately the 380s are about an inch too short. If you are attaching the Robostruts via the wire strut, you should be able to cut it to the right length.
John
Old 10-15-2005, 09:31 PM
CAPT John

ORIGINAL: dasintex

I'm confused now; I am trying to figure out exactly which Retracts to order; will the Robarts 510 85 degree, 3/8" Robostrut ready retracts with Straight RoboStrut 650's work for this plane? Thanks, Doug.
Doug,
I had purchased the 3/8" Robostrut for the 511RS Robostrut-ready 85 degree retracts, but then discovered that the strut is about an inch too short (5 9/32" long). My plan is to return the 3/8" struts in exchange for the 440 Series 7/16" struts (7 1/8" long). I will need to drill out the retract opening by 1/16" to accommodate the 7/16" struts. I'm told this will not be a problem but have e-mailed Robart to make sure. I'll post an update once I have the retracts installed, so no one else repeats my mistake.
John
Old 10-15-2005, 10:07 PM
oldtyme

dasintex,

It is simple.......don't order the Robostrut readly retracts........order the 3/8" mains w/3/16"wires
and the 650 Robostruts. Then you cut the wire to the proper length and install the Robostruts
and you're there. This will be the same situation on both of my P47's.

Andy
Old 10-15-2005, 10:30 PM
milkman-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Nemesis -

I am using the GP mount with a ST-75 and the TF in-cowl muffler. I found the supplied mount would not work with the ST without modification, so I just used the GP mounts that I have one hand and like.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:32 AM
oldtyme

Milkman, did you have to re-drill any holes in the firewall or do the ones that
are there work? You are doing the exact same thing I am so I am really interested
in your installation. If you had to do modifications would you please supply drawings/pictures showing what you did?

Thanks so very much,
Andy
Old 10-16-2005, 09:46 AM
dasintex

RCANDY:

New at this retract thing, correct me if I am wrong, normally the 3/8" robostrut ready retracts allow for the 3/8" OD/dia robostruts to fit exactly into the retract because the hole is at 3/8"ID, the robsrtuts get inserted completly into retract, no gaps; your set up uses the retracts with wire gear and I'm presuming you slide the 650 robostrut over the wire gear after cutting to length(not sure how long) I also presume you use bushings to ensure tight fit between wire gear and robostruts, my question is this: would this set up you describe and considering that Old Navy Flyer posted that the 650's are too short, would there not be a gap from the end of the Robostrut to the retract with a portion of the wire gear showing I'm presuming would be maybe 3/8 to 1/2 inch long?

Thanks Doug.
ORIGINAL: rcandy

dasintex,

It is simple.......don't order the Robostrut readly retracts........order the 3/8" mains w/3/16"wires
and the 650 Robostruts. Then you cut the wire to the proper length and install the Robostruts
and you're there. This will be the same situation on both of my P47's.

Andy
Old 10-16-2005, 11:49 AM
oldtyme

Doug,

Your presumptions are correct. I have been playing with retracts that I bought a couple
of years ago.........the 606HD wires........just to familiarize myself with the setup. The wire that
shows is minimal.......maybe the coil in the wire or not depending how you want to do it, but
it is so far up against the wing that it will barely shoe. Also, the "pants" will help hide all of this.
This is the same kind of setup that I will be, and others I have talked have used in "scale kits"
so it does not detract from the scale look. Also, I held up a 650 Robostrut to my H9 P47
wire gear and with the axle in it's proper location, the Robostrut fit exactly if the upper portion
was right up against the "coil" in the wire. I think I'm really going to try to use the gear with
the coils in it for the springing action. I also believe that the Robostruts will work with the installed mechanical gear because the Robostruts come with two bushings, one for 3/16" wire
and one for 5/32"wire.

I'm new to this too Doug, but I've done a lot of phone calling, reading and handling during the course of this thread and feel the setup I've elected to do will work and look fine. Now if you're demanding that the struts go into the retracts with no wire showing, then I'm out of it because there is a lot of variety out there and I get lost trying to look at it all, so I'm happy with what I've decided on. If I was competing in the Scale Masters, then it would be a different story..... ;^)

Cheers,
Andy
Old 10-16-2005, 12:16 PM
dasintex

Andy;

Thanks, much clearer, I haven't made up my mind which direction to go, I want to see how John(Old Navy Flyer) makes out; from his post he is going to be using the larger 7/16" Diameter 440 Robstruts and drill out the 511 Retracts to accommadate them; I would think this set up will make for a little stouter retract, may be a little too stiff, not sure, have to see how John makes out with this combination, my thinking is that it may be the way to go, although I like your idea of retaining the coil spring as an added cushion, espeacially on the less than perfect landings, although the Robstruts are supposed to take care of that.

John(Old Navy Flyer);

A couple questions, I can see that if you go with the 7/16" Robostrut you are going to get a more beefer Retract, Right? I thought why not go with the Robarts 530 Retracts that are 7/16 Robostrut ready; but then you can't beat the price of the 510's which includes the airKit, the 530's do not; will this make for a too stiff of a set up, H9 P-47 isn't all that heavy! Another question, which you probably can't answer until you get the new Struts; will the larger Diameter Struts prevent the gear from closing flush with the wing, may have to recess the retract slightly, just a thought!
Old 10-16-2005, 03:10 PM
oldtyme

Doug,

Just a thought, but when I went from the 5/32" wires to 3/16" wires on my H9 AT6 there was
a HUGE difference in stiffness.........which to quote Martha Stewart........"is a good thing", but
in this instance going with the 7/16" Robostruts might just be overkill, after all this plane is
not packing drop tanks, extra servos for flaps, etc. I guess it's what it's worth to the individual
what they want/need, but is it for sure that the 7/16" Robostruts are longer? Oh well, it's like
you said, I'll be interested........very interested what John finds out If not for this plane, then for
my TF P47 which will be considerable heavier due to more features. As you guys find out these
things and look at them, how about links to the pages where you find them so the rest of us can
go directly there and benefit from your efforts.............PLEASE.......... ;^)

Andy
Old 10-16-2005, 06:31 PM
CAPT John

Andy & Doug,
I'll let you know how the 7/16" struts work. Perhaps they'll be a bit stiff, but you guys haven't seen my landings. I think the 3/8" struts are a better match, but since I now have the Robostrut-ready 530s, I'm going to try the 7/16" struts.

Andy,
According to the Robart website, the 7/16" struts are 7 1/8" long, while the 3/8" struts are 5 9/32". I hope to install them this coming weekend and will let you know how they fit.

John
Old 10-16-2005, 07:46 PM
dasintex

ORIGINAL: Old Navy Flyer

Andy & Doug,
I'll let you know how the 7/16" struts work. Perhaps they'll be a bit stiff, but you guys haven't seen my landings. I think the 3/8" struts are a better match, but since I now have the Robostrut-ready 530s, I'm going to try the 7/16" struts.

Andy,
According to the Robart website, the 7/16" struts are 7 1/8" long, while the 3/8" struts are 5 9/32". I hope to install them this coming weekend and will let you know how they fit.

John
John;

I'm a little lost here; perhaps a typo error; I thought you got the 511RS 3/8" Robostrut ready retracts, and were going to drill them out to accept the 7/16" Robostruts; above you state that you now have Robostrut ready 530's that will accept the 7/16 Robostruts without having to drill? it sounded like a good idea to just drill out the 511's because they are a lot cheaper then the 530's and they come with an airkit, the 530's do not!
Old 10-16-2005, 08:56 PM
EdFly

Hey Guys,

I saw fellow club member DocYates fly his Jug this weekend. I will let him give a full flight report if he wishes, but I can say that this plane looks great in the air! I have one in my hanger, and I can't wait to get started on this bird. I will say this after watching several flights; I am calling SpringAir in the morning and ordering a set of air retracts......
Old 10-16-2005, 09:52 PM
oldtyme

John,

Thanks for the report. I'm going to stick with what I bought and I think that it will
work with what I intended. Please, if you can, post some pictures of your installation when
you get it done. I'm still just "playing with retracts" but want to get a better feel for what
I want/need for my TF P47. I hope I get the retracts tomorrow so I can start "playing"
with this project.

Best Regards to all,
Andy
Old 10-16-2005, 11:14 PM
CAPT John

[/quote]

John;

I'm a little lost here; perhaps a typo error; I thought you got the 511RS 3/8" Robostrut ready retracts, and were going to drill them out to accept the 7/16" Robostruts; above you state that you now have Robostrut ready 530's that will accept the 7/16 Robostruts without having to drill? it sounded like a good idea to just drill out the 511's because they are a lot cheaper then the 530's and they come with an airkit, the 530's do not!
[/quote]

Doug,
Yes it was a typo. I have the 511RS retracts and they will have to be drilled out to accept the 7/16" struts. Sorry for the confusion. John
Old 10-17-2005, 12:23 AM
oldtyme

John, Doug,

I'm watching from the edge of my seat how this all plays out. If I don't open packages,
I'll be able to return things if I have made wrong decisions.........I'm really anxious to
see how John's plans work.

Andy
Old 10-18-2005, 08:53 AM
oldtyme

OK..........got my retracts (Robart 511W1) and noticed the air tank is a bit smaller than
the rest of the Robart line. Does anyone know or want to guess how many ups and downs
this size tank will give? Also the control valve looks like it is just up and down with no variable,
so do you think that that should be replaced with a variable control valve to make the retracts
slower?

Now I guess the only thing left to do is to start building this plane!!

Regards,
Andy
Old 10-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

This is an ARF. Can't believe how long it is taking you guy's to get this plane in the air. I would hate to see how long it would be if you were building it from a kit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.