Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90-what to watch for

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Funtana 90-what to watch for

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 07:03 PM
dlucas48
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 90-what to watch for

Saw one at our field and was VERY impressed. I bought one on the auction and could not inspect it, and have been browsing the threads here. Have not read all 1100 threads yet, but see aileron servo issues, cg issues with my planned Saito 100, rib failures, tail wheel, wing mounting bolts, flutter, fuel tank splits. Spare me some time to fly rather than sift thru all this info. Is there a way to tell what model run I have, (does it have the latest fixes or whatever?), and what else to watch for. What prop works well for minor 3d? Thanks.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:13 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Funtana 90-what to watch for

The wing is easy to tell if you have the new or the old. Look at the bottom(blue) side. Note where the servo cut out is. If it has a rib directly next to each side of the servo bay. You have the new style. If it has a rib along one side of the bay and sticks running to the next rib over. You have the old style. Please note there are guys flying the old style with great success. Also I had a friend in a similar situation. He called Horizon and they offered to replace the wings if he would send them back.

David
Old 10-08-2005, 09:16 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I should also mention the 1.00. This is OK power but not great. A 16x4W APC prop and 30% fuel is the best bet. To get the CG right with this combo a few changes should be made. Move the throttle servo and the battery into the cowl. It will balance with no lead if you do.

David
Old 10-08-2005, 10:17 PM
thundervee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on the balance issue, I have a 1.00 in mine and put it together per the instructions and it balanced fine.
Good Luck
Old 10-08-2005, 10:58 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a well built plane and the ONLY thing to really watch out for is NOT to fly her too fast unless you wish to experience flutter. Mine was powered with the YS110 and it is the best choice, turning an APC 16x6, that is the best prop I find for this plane. Oh yes ... the stall speed is really low but don't push it, I did a few times on landing but it only bent my UC, she would just drop straight down on her belly.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:05 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately reinforce the aileron servo bays if you have the old version. I purchased the older version used but never flown. Put it together with a ys 120, at half throttle, moderate speed the servos came out of the bottom of the wing.... caused damage to the wing, stripped servos, severe aileron flutter etc etc... contacted H9 and got severe run around as i purchased the funtana used. Finally got the answer that they 'may' decide to replace the wing if i send it in and they rule it a wing failure. Luckily i was able to harrier land and the only damage was to the wing so i didn't loose everything!!! I gave up and just repaired the wing, replaced the servos etc, an expensive lesson on dealing with H9. If you purchase a H9 product used, DO NOT count on any help from them!!!!!