Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Modeltech Dragonlady questions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Modeltech Dragonlady questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 09:05 AM
GFranks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modeltech Dragonlady questions

I'd like to ask if anyone who has bought the new Modeltech Dragonlady ARF could answer a few questions please:

-Is the covering monokote or another material and is it a good quality?

-Is the wing still foam and still made for 1 servo?

-Is the servos for the elevator and rudder located in the rear or under the cockpit?

-I want to use a super tigre 90, anyone use this and have any balance issues?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Old 10-13-2005, 11:23 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Modeltech Dragonlady questions

ORIGINAL: GFranks

I'd like to ask if anyone who has bought the new Modeltech Dragonlady ARF could answer a few questions please:

-Is the covering monokote or another material and is it a good quality? Last I heard it was still china cote.

-Is the wing still foam and still made for 1 servo? -Yes, I wish they would make a version that had two but the ailerons are not that big so Two would be a waste. I believe it is still
a foam wing.

-Is the servos for the elevator and rudder located in the rear or under the cockpit?- Your choice there as they give you setup for both. I had a saito 100 on mine and it was way tail
heavy with the servos in the rear. So you need to watch what you put up front before putting the servo's in the rear.

-I want to use a super tigre 90, anyone use this and have any balance issues? -Flying buddy has one in his I believe and I do not think he had any balancing issues and it flies very nice
with that engine on it.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

This is a good flying airplane and can range from very docile to medium aerobatic. As the control surfaces are not that large you are limited to what you can do in the
aerobatic area it is still a very good flyer and I enjoyed my short time with one.
Very easy airplane to land as it just floats in.
Do a quick search on RCU and you will find a couple of threads about this plane.
John

Old 10-14-2005, 07:04 AM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had a Dragon Lady for many years. I sold 2 of them through the years and regretted it each time and bought a new one. I've only DESTROYED one recently while inverted dropping down to strafe the runway....it wasn't pretty. My partner said she deserved a purple heart.

Anyway, I don't know what kind of covering it is but is doesn't wrinkle like others. Here on the east coast we are subject to many temperature swings. I store mine in the garage.

The wing and the whole plane is of original construction as it was originally offered as an ARC (almost ready to cover). It is balsa covered foam and setup for 1 servo although I mounted 2 side-by-side. i just prefer 2 servos. I set all my planes up like that.

The ELE adn RUD servos are mounted under the cockpit but if you hang a big gasser on the front they will need to go in the back.

There are currently 5 of them in our club. The superTigre 90 is just fine. A friend of mine in another club has that combo. Ours are such: YS110, YS61, OS91, OS91, RCS140, the latter belonging to me. None of these combos have any balance issues.

It is a good flying honest plane. Like I said it has been around for years. I've had one since the late 80s. The one with the YS110 has been in service for over 10 years! It s not a rocket but has a good power curve with any of the >60 engines. That is not to say it is a dog with a 60 either. It is excellent for learning how to perform various maneuvers but I wouldn't consider it to be a 3Der.

All-in-all I think it is a good all-around plane that should serve you well! I'd say go for it!

-alan
Old 10-15-2005, 10:32 PM
doctorgo
My Feedback: (5)

The Dragon Lady ARF, in my opinion, is the best all-around model on the market. Why? It's cheap ($129 + shipping), it uses only one aileron servo (HS475), engine choice is in the .91 to 1.08 2-stroke cycle range, engine cooling is great, with a pitts style muffler it weighs less than 9 pounds. Performance is better than expected. With an old Magnum .91XL fitted with a Thunder Tiger Pro .61 carburetor turning an APC 14 x 7 prop it will perform maneuvers not seen regularly, like a knife-edge slide. And speaking of knife-edge, this plane (mine at least) will knife edge with no roll coupling! The blunt leading edge of the wing provides for gentle stall characteristics and the wing design eliminates tip stalls. Slow flight is a dream to do and helicopter landings are the norm.

The covering now is Monokote. The wing and fuselage skin is not balsa, but a hardwood native to China. At first I thought it was Obeche, but it is not. If you plan to re-cover this model, it will not be an easy task. Foam is used in the wing construction, the aft deck and the horizontal stab. My Ladies have been lengthened and lightened and re-covered, but the effort is worth it to me.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87475.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	339714  
Old 09-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Lee62

Hey Doctorgo,

I just posted some questions in another thread about the DL 60. I have looked at yours and think it is a really fine looking plane.[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif] I am thinking about re-trimming my plane, not completely recovering it. I like the original trim scheme, but I like to be different thus the re-trim. Do you forsee any major problems pulling the original trim off and putting something different on it? How about the cowl, any problems there?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:47 PM
doctorgo
My Feedback: (5)

Greetings, Lee.
Could you be more specific about the trim and cowl concerns? If you e-mail me, I can spend more time on an answer.
DRGO
Old 10-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Lee62

Hi Doctorgo,

I sent you an E-mail about my DL through RC Universe, and I was wondering if you ever got it? I haven't done anything with my DL other than join the wings. I still want to re-trim it but I have been busy getting my Mayhem 40 back in the air. I was doing some stunts at full throttle and broke one of the horizontal stabs with its attached elevator off in flight. I saw something floating down and wondered what it was. I reduced power and flew it overhead and lo and behold, one horiz stab and elevator were among the missing. Decided it was time to land. Anyway, the Mayhem is ready to go so I will get back to the DL. Still waiting on your comments for the re-trim.[sm=omg_smile.gif]
Old 10-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Lee62

Doctorgo
Old 10-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Lee62

Hi again,

[sm=red_smile.gif]I don't know what I did a second ago, I was typing and suddenly it was gone. I looked up and somehow only my opening had been posted. Anyway, what I wanted to add was can you post or send me a picture of the belly of your DL? [sm=regular_smile.gif]

Thanx
Old 05-07-2007, 12:40 AM
flyinbpaints

I love my dragon lady. I have a 1.08 os on the front and dont have any problems with medium airobatics. I am able to fly in wind up to 20 mph.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:57 PM
dlan

I was recently given a Dragonlady 40. It needs some work but I need to locate a set of plans for this plane. Can anyone help???
Old 07-07-2007, 11:10 PM
flyinbpaints

modeltech manufactures the plane so i would try there.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:28 PM
dlan

ORIGINAL: flyinbpaints

modeltech manufactures the plane so i would try there.
Tried that, they only have the 60...