Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Giant Ugly Stick

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Giant Ugly Stick

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 AM
JoeMamma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Giant Ugly Stick

ORIGINAL: Tman

Curious to know how you like the new OS33.

It's still new in the box, so I won't know until springtime.

Joe M.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

DO NOT chase buzzards with your Big Stick.
For years I have flown with and kiddingly chased buzzards. Well I finally managed some how to hit one. broke my stab, I had no elevator, came crashing down and even bent the crank on my G38. The Big Stick is history I'm sorry to say. If I knew/could load pictures I would show you the end results. Merry Christmas. DO NOT chase buzzards. . Brian
Old 12-21-2011, 07:01 AM
MVFLYER
My Feedback: (9)

Hey all you stick fans! I've got one on the way from my LHS. Still selecting a power system for this one. Leaning towards the new RCGF 40cc twin. Looking forward to getting this bird ready to fly!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:02 AM
go vertical
My Feedback: (1)

there is a thread on the OS 33 in the pattern section rcu check it
Old 12-21-2011, 04:51 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

Brian

Are you talking about those big ol' butt-ugly turkey buzzards ?[:'(]

I've been chasing them for a long time but have been fortunate enough to have never caught one........pushing my luck I guess. I've also noticed they can dive great but can't climb worth a darn.

I like to start my buzzard straffing runs at their lower six position. When they spot me coming up from behind, at first they will attempt to climb, then they do an immediate Immelman turn followed by a snap roll and then followed by a dive. Throughout the maneuver I open up with my six wing mounted .50 cals' but it's always too late. [>:] Again, pushing my luck.[X(]

If you've noticed, the windier it is the more turkey buzzards there are. The reason is they are very lazy birds and don't like to flap their wings if they don't need to. If you have ever seen one take off, they kind of aim their bodies into the wind, cup their wings, and let the wind lift them upward. At the park where I fly, it's not uncommon to see groups of 5 or more in the air together.

Joe M.

PS: Please, please .............responses from PETA members are not necessary.[:'(]

I am a member of the other PETA club........People Enjoying Tasty Animals.

To any Michigan DNR (Department of Natural Resources) members, a disclaimer: The preceding was just a concocted story with no truth whatsoever.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:40 PM
1 big skeeter
My Feedback: (8)

Yep, my GP Giant Big Stik is soon to be finished and flying! Gonna mount a Syssa 30cc on the front and make it a trike rather than a tail dragger. Wanted to have something easy and fun rather than stay all twisted up trying to ring performance out of an airframe.

Guess I'm just gettin' old and feeble......
Old 12-22-2011, 02:26 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

ORIGINAL: JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

Brian

Are you talking about those big ol' butt-ugly turkey buzzards ?[:'(]

I've been chasing them for a long time but have been fortunate enough to have never caught one........pushing my luck I guess. I've also noticed they can dive great but can't climb worth a darn.

I like to start my buzzard straffing runs at their lower six position. When they spot me coming up from behind, at first they will attempt to climb, then they do an immediate Immelman turn followed by a snap roll and then followed by a dive. Throughout the maneuver I open up with my six wing mounted .50 cals' but it's always too late. [>:] Again, pushing my luck.[X(]

If you've noticed, the windier it is the more turkey buzzards there are. The reason is they are very lazy birds and don't like to flap their wings if they don't need to. If you have ever seen one take off, they kind of aim their bodies into the wind, cup their wings, and let the wind lift them upward. At the park where I fly, it's not uncommon to see groups of 5 or more in the air together.

Joe M.

PS: Please, please .............responses from PETA members are not necessary.[:'(]

I am a member of the other PETA club........People Enjoying Tasty Animals.

To any Michigan DNR (Department of Natural Resources) members, a disclaimer: The preceding was just a concocted story with no truth whatsoever.
We seldom have trouble with the big Buzzards, but we do have an occasional Hawk attack an electric plane. They don't bother the IC planes, but they give the electrics a fit. Been thinking about getting one of those planes that looks like a hawk, and see what happens Sorry, getting off OP's original subject. I'm done.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:47 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 1 big skeeter

Yep, my GP Giant Big Stik is soon to be finished and flying! Gonna mount a Syssa 30cc on the front and make it a trike rather than a tail dragger. Wanted to have something easy and fun rather than stay all twisted up trying to ring performance out of an airframe.

Guess I'm just gettin' old and feeble......
I am planning to do the same thing with mine except for using a DLE 30 for power. The standoffs provide the room to mount a Fultz gear in the front. I really enjoy shooting touch and go landings with the tricycle gear vs the tail dragger. With a 30 sized gas engine does anyone think that it is necessary to use something like Dubro pinned hinges or Robart hinges. At the moment I am planning to use the CA hinges unless there is evidence that the 30cc sized gas engine requires otherwise. The new GP Waco is all set up for the DLE 30 and it uses CA hinges. The Syssa 30 is a thing of beauty.

Howard
Old 12-22-2011, 03:52 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

My 50 cc twin powered stick has the c/a hinges in it with hundreds of flights no issues.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:12 AM
go vertical

i recomend gorilaglue for the ca hinges
Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: mighty9

My 50 cc twin powered stick has the c/a hinges in it with hundreds of flights no issues.
Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to know.

Howard
Old 12-24-2011, 09:03 PM
1 big skeeter
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Howard,

I've got a Syssa mounted on my Hangar 9 Taylorcraft and it is a real pleasure to fly! The Syssa is an absolute gem. Loads of power, easy to start, idle is smooth and consistent, transition to full power is immediate, and it's super easy to start! 10-12 minute flights on a 16 ounce tank uses around 10 ounces during spirited flying.

On my GP Giant Big Stik, I've got the nose gear bushings mounted on the inside of the firewall and drilled a small hole for the nose gear strut to engage the bushings. I'll put4-5" tires on it to ensure sufficient prop clearance with an 18"X5.5" Vessa prop on the Syssa. Using a 16 ounce 4titude fuel tank and Hitec 645 servos on all wing surfaces (including flaps) andhigh speed servo on throttle.

I've got the covering ironed down, wings completed, and am about to glue and hinge the tail feathers using the included ca hinges. Haven't had any problems usingca hinges on birds up to 30%.

Hope to have the Big Stik in the air shortly after the New Year along with some video/still pics. Just waiting on my new Syssa to get here and do the break in on it!

Best Regards and Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Ca hinges and gas engines are a bad combination. With the vibrations of a gas engine it is only a matter of time before they fail. I have seen it time and time again. Better off to get some good pinned hinges or drill holes and use hinge points and save the effort of doing it later or even losing a plane because of it.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:41 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

+1
I built my Ultra Stick 120/DLE-30 with the CA hinges and have torn them surface by surface and replaced them with Robarts.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 AM
MVFLYER

Hello go vertical and RACJ,   

I'm interested in your electric set up on your GBS. I was wondering how the plane balanced and where you put the batteries. Also did you mount the motor directly on the firewall or on standoffs?I haven't decided what power system to use yet but electric is one I'm considering. Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 06:22 AM
mighty9
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: MVFLYER

Hello go vertical and RACJ,

I'm interested in your electric set up on your GBS. I was wondering how the plane balanced and where you put the batteries. Also did you mount the motor directly on the firewall or on standoffs?I haven't decided what power system to use yet but electric is one I'm considering. Thanks
Before i put the 50cc twin in mine i flew it on an eflite power 160 on 8 s .It flew well. I put the batteries in the fuel tank compartment. As for the hinge thing i guess we all have different experiences as ive never ripped a ca hinge on any gas models.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:11 AM
go vertical

here are some pics of e set up i use 10 cells it is ausome
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52176.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1705497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13981.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1705498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55506.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1705499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73506.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1705500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89039.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1705501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib83131.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1705502  
Old 12-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Super08

Nice work.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:22 PM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Hi guys-

Just got my Giant Big Stik-

Looks like there is plenty of wood available internal to the plane to use Robarts Hinge points without removing any covering.

Has anyone out there actually done that and if so, how many did you use for each control surface (aileron, flap, elevator, rudder)?

Thanks-

Larry
Old 12-28-2011, 02:16 AM
MVFLYER

The electric conversion work looks great! EP is looking better all the time. I'm  looking at the Tacon Big Foot 160, Hobbywing ESC and the 2x Sky LIPO 5 cell 5000 in series. All this stuff is available from HobbyPartz.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 AM
Super08

ORIGINAL: phakur

Hi guys-

Looks like there is plenty of wood available internal to the plane to use Robarts Hinge points without removing any covering.

Has anyone out there actually done that and if so, how many did you use for each control surface (aileron, flap, elevator, rudder)?

Thanks-

Larry
I would have to go out and check mine in the garage after if no one helps out. I know I used a mix of 1/8" and 3/16" hinge points on mine. I am just about to head out the door to work right now.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:59 AM
RACJ

MVFLYER,I'm out of town for holidays and new grand baby any day now. I'll get some pics up Mon/Tuesday when I get back. Exceed Power 160 10S 5000 Hobbywing 100HV esc APCe 20x10. RACJ
Old 12-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

I used the supplied hinges on my two big Sticks with G38s and never had a problem. I "am" installing the giant scale robart hinge points on my new Sportster and I'm putting one in the center of each of the already cut hinge slots. I would think that would be fine on the big stick as well. Brian

ORIGINAL: phakur

Hi guys-

Thanks-

Larry
Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

On my AJSlicks, they put 2 close together about a 1/2 inch or so apart on the ends of the ailerons.  This is where they have split on other planes I have had, so I think the 2 on each end is cheap insurance.  It also allows you to use smaller hinges as well.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 AM
JoeMamma

[quote]ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

I used the supplied hinges on my two big Sticks with G38s and never had a problem. I ''am'' installing the giant scale robart hinge points on my new Sportster and I'm putting one in the center of each of the already cut hinge slots. I would think that would be fine on the big stick as well. Brian

[quote]

Hi Brian,

Me too.......I have never had a problem using the CA hinges on any of my big planes.....been using them for many moons. Guess I'll continue to use them until I do.

When you mention Sportster, are you talking about the 82" Giant Super Sportster ??

Joe M.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.