Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

nt on the Phoenix models

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

nt on the Phoenix models

Old 11-02-2005, 03:25 PM
al watt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nt on the Phoenix models

Anyone got any comment on the Phoenix models lazer 40 ARF I had a Phoenix Models Comet once and it was a brilliant aircraft. I have just sent away for the Lazer 40 which may be the same as The seabee?
al
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 PM
r/cdawg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: nt on the Phoenix models

If it is the same as the SeaBee you should be very happy with it. I have been flying mine all summer and it has been a great performer with a .52 4-stroke. Very quick to build as usual with Phoenix arf's.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:45 PM
al watt

Thanks r/cdawg for the reply. Not sure now if it is the same as the Seabee.. As mentioned earlier, I had a phoenix Comet and it was a fantastic aircraft - I don't know why Phoenix models stopped making the Comet? I lost it with crystal failure... Wish I had bought another before they took it off production.
al
Old 11-05-2005, 05:59 PM
sigrun

You should be overjoyed with the Laser Al. I have both an operational Phoenix Comet (1998 - I don't break stuff often) and a Phoenix Laser (2004). The Sea Bee is very much an updated Comet. But the Laser, whilst the same style of model, is different. It's actually a Great Planes Venus clone, but even lighter. The good news is it's inarguably better all round than the Comet.

The Laser is laser cut, constructed of balsa held together with CA and covered in Profilm (Oracover). It comes with a usable hardware pack, quality decals, a painted fibreglass cowl and aluminium centre mounted undercarriage.

The Comet is knife cut, constructed of hot-glued cottonwood and covered in printed contact. The supplied hardware pack of the era was throw-away, the cowl was unpainted wafer thin plastic (I reinforced mine internally with lightweight glass and epoxy prior to painting), and its heavy narrow track wing mounted undercarriage is heavy and as you know, squirrely in ground handling. There is no comparison in build quality between the two.

With my Comet, the swept wings came misaligned with the fuselage ex-factory. Disappointingly, every one the of the half dozen I inspected in an attempt to exchange after purchase was the same, so it was most apparently a jig problem with that particular production batch at least. I elected just to manually fix the problem at the time, something which was a PITA and should have been unnecessary. But that's how it was with ARFs under $400- back then.

The Comet is just over ½lb heavier with a higher wing loading exacerbated by a thinner wing section. Not helping are those narrow tapered tips which have a tendency to warp up or down one way of the other causing wash out/in so that it's impossible to trim logitudinal axis stability neutral through all phases of flight without a knife. It is a hoot to fly, but flies, and lands, like a dart.

With the recommended capacity engine aboard, manoeuvres need to be kept large and you've really got to watch the RPM and 'g' throughout with the Comet. The Laser OTOH has a thicker section, is light as well and naturally straight through the laser cutting. The tips are blunter and the arm is shorter. The servo control arm setup is also much more direct. (effectively > applied torquie & increased responsiveness). The Laser is designed and intended to fly slower than the Comet, but will sustain 'g' and vertical much better with the rated .46 aboard performing manoeuvres and the pattern much better. It is still quickish, just more of an arrow in flight than a dart. It is also .52 fours stroke friendly whereas IMHO the Comet isn't. I have a Thunder Tiger .46 in mine and it is an absolute delight to fly with all the power really required.

Here's a pic of my Comet in the hanger undergoing minor repair after a ground looping incident.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85447.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	349164  
Old 11-11-2005, 05:07 AM
al watt

To sigrun
Thank you for taking the time to do a detailed report on the laser and Comet. I am expecting the box to arrive today.. Sadly the weather in Scotland has turned very windy /misty wet so it might be several weeks before the laser takes to the air. I will post again once I get a flight with it but again thankyou for all the info I will put an Irvine 53 two stoke into it.
al
Old 11-11-2005, 06:55 PM
sigrun

Hi Al

Look forward to your further progress reports once flying.

The TT Pro 46 or OS 46FX/AX are enough GO for very solid sport flying aerobatic performance. The OS 50SX goes one better offering all the competition vertical you'll even need.

An Irvine .53 (I own two of same) will be the ultimate in that Laser. Arguably the perfect combo for Sportsman pattern.

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
sigrun
Old 11-17-2005, 06:55 AM
al watt

Thank you Sigrun will get back to you when finihsed aircraft, I have done the wing and fin/tail. Did you use any special servos for rudder/elevators. In other words did you use standard servo's like futaba and did you need weight in the front.
thanks al
Old 11-20-2005, 01:09 AM
sigrun

No & no.

The rudder and elevator arms are short. For that size model, the torque and speed of normal servos seems adequate for Sportsman pattern manoeuvres, which is the most I expect of it. I used JR-539's (standard size case).
Old 11-27-2005, 05:15 AM
al watt

Thanks again for the Info I am Futaba but I will just use as you did standard servo's and Santa bought me an Irvine 53 two stroke yesterday.
Thank you again
al
Old 12-12-2005, 03:40 PM
al watt

I am just about to drill engine mount holes for an Irvine 53 for the laser. The phoenix models measurements say 105mm from front of engine to the engine thrust washer. To me this seems quite far back towards the engine fire wall. Making the engine very close at the back from the firewall. Does anyone know if this is correct. I would have thought it would have been better towards 150mm?
al
Old 09-10-2006, 04:25 PM
al watt

I have been flying the Lazer from Phoenix models on and off for six months.
Sadly I can't say that I like the build quality. The wood is very brittle especially the fuz to wing bolts which while I tightened the wing bolts one day, the side of the fuz split. Although I repaired the fuz side the covering is a little damaged. Very poor wood by other maufacturing standards.
The inverted engine is a pain to start.
I also don't think it flys as nice as the old Comet sadly!
Thus I don't take it to the field that often.
It flys okay but not an aircraft that will last- well I guess if I don't take it to the field that often pehaps it will.
al