Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Four Star 60 - What engine?

Hi,

I've made the decision to get a SIG Four Star 60 as my second plane (especially after that glowing review in Model Aviation Magazine this month). To keep the cost down, I'm definately using a 2-stroke engine. SIG says that the range for 2-strokes is .60-.75 At first I was thinking of going with the SuperTigre G-75 (ringed), but after reading quite a few threads on RCU (as well as some of the User Ratings of the Four Star), it seems that most people with .90 sized 2-stroke engines on a Four Star say that it is very manageable - not even overpowered. After checking the prices at Tower, I noticed that the SuperTigre G-90 is only a mere $10 more than the .75, so I am seriously considering the .90 now... any thoughts?

-Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Four Star 60 - What engine?

Go for the 90, you will love it

If you want top spend the money, an OS 91 Surpass (four stroke) turning a 15X6 APC prop is a perfect combo and with the stock tank flight times at half throttle are in the 20 minute range after the engine is broken in. I use mine with this combo and if I shoot touch and goes for a full tank, I can usually stay up for 30 minutes, no kidding, but that's on a well run engine.

I have a flying friend with the ST75 in his 60 and while it's nice, my Surpass out flies it easily. He has flown mine and I have flown his and the surpass is much nicer. If you want a foru stroke then Magnum makes a 91 that is really nice and fairly cheap and once broken in is a very reliable engine that will turn the same prop the Surpass does.

Here is a video of mine with the surpass being flown by a 15 yr old, as you can see it's definitely not lacking in power...

http://www.hiddenhangarrc.com/video/...xpert_test.wmv
    Bill James

IMAC NorthEast Regional Director
    2009-2010
    2013-2014

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply!

I know a .90 sized 4-stroke would be perfect, but I just can't afford the extra $90. I'm talking about a 2-stroke .90 size... that's not too much faster than the 4-stroke, right?

Thanks again,
    -Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike,

The ST91 will be just fine for your needs with some throttle management which means if the nose is pointing down even slightly, pull back on the throttle as it will be quite a bit faster than the 4 strokes. 4 strokes turn bigger props but at lower RPM's so they do not fly a plane very fast, just make it pull vertically like gravity was a passing fancy.

A two stroke is built to run high rpms so they need a smaller prop which than a 4 stroke will increase overall flying speed.

You will be overpowered but fuel consumption will not be bad as you'll be flying around at half throttle pretty much most of the time.

The ST75 will be somewhat limiting but will do just fine. I'd go with the 91 just for future use if not anything else

I was only suggesting the four stroke should you ever get to thinking about it and did not mean to confuse the subject, sorry
    Bill James

2009-2010
    2013-2014

I flew one with a Tower .75 and it would do anything you wanted it to.
    Ronnie
    Jetmach, JetCat Sales, KingTech Turbines
    Laser-Design-Services

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bubbagates
    I was only suggesting the four stroke should you ever get to thinking about it and did not mean to confuse the subject, sorry
    No offense taken.... I would absolutely LOVE to have a Magnum on this, but my budget it very low at this point.

I don't think I'll have a throttle management problem - I'm always adjusting the throttle on my Nexstar (even when I don't need to). I think it will be the ST 91 for this project. By the way, there's no other .91 two-stroke that will be comparable price-wise with the SuperTigre, correct?

Thanks again for the advice!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MikeG4936

ORIGINAL: bubbagates
    No offense taken.... I would absolutely LOVE to have a Magnum on this, but my budget it very low at this point.

I don't think I'll have a throttle management problem - I'm always adjusting the throttle on my Nexstar (even when I don't need to). I think it will be the ST 91 for this project. By the way, there's no other .91 two-stroke that will be comparable price-wise with the SuperTigre, correct?

Thanks again for the advice!!
    The ST90 is $119, the SK90 is $89 (from Kangke). I have the SK but not the ST so I can't give you a comparison in quality/performance. What I can tell you is that my SK runs great for the price. I do have a couple of smaller ST (.40 and .51) and they too run great.

If I was buying for my 4-star, I would spend my money on the ST90 (since $30 isn't that big of a deal to me, and that 3-year ST warranty is wonderful). Since your budget is important to you, I would have no problem recommending the SK90 as a good alternative.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew mine with a Magnum .75 for a few years. Short take offs and would do what ever I wanted. Vertical wasn't unlimited but then I'm not trying to reach a star.

Hope you enjoy yours; I loved mine until the wing folded on a loop. [:@]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22601.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	352988  
    Smoke trail is the best trail.

Smoke em if you got em

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Update!!!

I went to my club auction and picked up 2 engines for this plane that for a total of the $120 I was originally willing to spend on the ST!!

I got a SuperTigre 90 (older Italian version) for $60

I also got an Enya 90 4-stroke for another $60.

Both are in excellent condtion...

Now I have another problem...which engine do I put on the Four-Star, and what one do I sell??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Update!!!

I went to my club auction and picked up 2 engines for this plane that for a total of the $120 I was originally willing to spend on the ST!!

I got a SuperTigre 90 (older Italian version) for $60

I also got an Enya 90 4-stroke for another $60.

Both are in excellent condtion...

Now I have another problem...which engine do I put on the Four-Star, and what one do I sell??
    ZBoth should be fine on the 4* but since I'm partial to 4 strokes I would say the Enya 90. It will not give you unlimited vertical which you really do not ned for this plane but it will fly it well

If you want allot of extra power then use the ST 90. Be careful to use good throttle mangement if you use this engine

Whatever one you decide, keep the other as you got a really good deal for both as long as they run good
    Bill James

2009-2010
    2013-2014

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike,

I fly a 4*60 (among others) and I have an OS 61 FX on the front. I have been in this hobby for more years than I want to admit and have instructed many students -- and with that I will tell you that a good 60 is plenty of power on this plane unless you want to do 3D kind of stuff. You have two good engines and unless you have to meet a tough budget I would recommend that you keep both of them. My flying partner has a Saito 91 on his 4*60 and I have to admit that the four stroke just seems to be made for this airplane - I would give his power plant a better rating than mine but it is not just power it is smootness. The 4*60 is not about wild manuevers it is about being smooth and the 4 stroke is made for that. I would recommend that you use the Enya and keep the ST for your next dream ship.

Something to keep in mind is that the bigger the airplane the slower it appears to be flying. It is a human brain thing and not an airplane thing. The next time you see a 747 or a C5 overhead and it appears to be just barely moving believe me it is moving just as fast if not faster than the 727 in front of it. One last thought is than ST is, for some unknown reason, undervalued - you have a very good engine.

Howard
    If you want to be politically correct, try lying.

my son and I fly 2 four star sixty's and we found that one bay of the wings and larger tail surface's made similier to edge 540 fins and a
    GMS 120 turning a master air screw at 10,000 rpm static makes for one fun ride. they can flat spin, and hover this way but you must use strong servo's like hs 625

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew my kit built 4*60 with a Enya .90 and it was a great match. The kit version is a little tail heavy with a two-cycle engine, so the Enya 4C was just right. It swings a APC 14X8 about 8800-8900 with the carb restictor removed and muffler pressure.
    The G-90 is no slouch either, but it does burn more fuel than the Enya, so plan accordingly.

enjoy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike, you posted for info on an engine for your 4*Star60 and was leaning toward a ST 90. Did you use a ST90 and how does it fly? Did you need to add any lead to balance it?

Hi,

I've made the decision to get a SIG Four Star 60 as my second plane (especially after that glowing review in Model Aviation Magazine this month). To keep the cost down, I'm definately using a 2-stroke engine. SIG says that the range for 2-strokes is .60-.75 At first I was thinking of going with the SuperTigre G-75 (ringed), but after reading quite a few threads on RCU (as well as some of the User Ratings of the Four Star), it seems that most people with .90 sized 2-stroke engines on a Four Star say that it is very manageable - not even overpowered. After checking the prices at Tower, I noticed that the SuperTigre G-90 is only a mere $10 more than the .75, so I am seriously considering the .90 now... any thoughts?

-Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: boggey090
    Mike, you posted for info on an engine for your 4*Star60 and was leaning toward a ST 90. Did you use a ST90 and how does it fly? Did you need to add any lead to balance it?
    Actually, I just got the FS 60 ARF 2 days ago for Christmas. However, I DO still have both the SuperTiger 90 (Italian) and the Enya 90 4C. After running both of them, I can definately conclude that both are great engines, but since this is my second plane, and I don't want it to be too hot, I decided to put the Enya 90 4 stroke in. Once I get bored.... I might have to dust off that ST 90

If you have a ST 90, I would definately say go for it. Form the advice on RCU, the ST 90 is a perfect match. Apparently the FS 60 is a very tail heavy plane, so it likes a heavy engine up front. If you don't already have the engine, go for the ST 90... the 60 and 75 SuperTigres are all the same size/weight (and almost same price), so go for the best (just make sure to use your throttle).

Best of luck,
    -Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think for my 4* 60 project, I will mount the ST90 lower than horizontal, at the 7:30 position, so that the mousse can or Mac's muffler will come out right between the landing gear.

Ernie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have had 2 different 4 star 60's and they both flew great. The first was an ARF that started out with a Thunder Tiger 61 on it. It flew alright with this engine but I wanted more power so it got a GWS 75 on it. This engine was great and really pulled the plane vertical. The second 4* was a kit built plane that was given to me by a friend. It had a Magnum 91 4 stroke on it and was very nice to fly. I switched the magnum and put a Thunder tiger 91 4 stroke on it and this engine made the plane come to life. I have since passed these planes on to some friends but now I have a 4 star 40 that was given to me by a fellow club member that I will be keeping for a long time. 4 Stars are great flying planes!!!

Rick
    I get to play with things that are loud, go fast, and shoot fire out the back. Jet noise the sound of freedom!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Rick,

You no longer have your 4*60? What's wrong with you brother?

Hope your doing well man, it's been a while huh,,,take care and happy holidays.

Mike, I have a TT91RFS on mine spinning an APC 14x6, awesome power and vertical climb. If I had to decide between both of your options, I'd go with the bigger engine of the two. Good luck,,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Adrian

Whats up? How are you hope you had a nice holiday. I gave my best friend and his son my two 4*60's. What was I thinking. I have moved on to bigger and better planes. All I fly right now are gassers. I have the 27% ultimate and a brand new 28% wildhare Edge 540. I don't currently have anything ready to fly so one of my flying buddies gave me a nice kit built 4*40 that was taking up space in his garage. This one I will keep forever. I also won one of the new hanger 9 P-51 Mustangs at the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout with a 1 dollar raffle ticket. It is still sitting on the shelf in the box waiting to be flown. I just don't have the time to mess with my planes right now. All of you guys reading this thread KEEP YOUR 4 STARS they are great planes. Even when you think you have gotten all you can get out of it KEEP IT. You will regret it if you don't.

Rick
    I get to play with things that are loud, go fast, and shoot fire out the back. Jet noise the sound of freedom!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with you Rick; I sure miss mine. That plane took a beating and kept on going; just like a Timex.
    Smoke trail is the best trail.

Smoke em if you got em

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am building a 4* 60 and am trying to decide if I want to buy a Super Tiger 90 or put my Saito 82 on it. I am conderned that the Saito will be so light that I will have to add a lot of extra weight to balance it. Any thoughts?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi DoctorBill,

From what I hear, I'd say the ST 90 should go in. Don't get me wrong - the Saito 82 is an excellent engine, and the Four Star 60 is a perfect match for a four stroke engine, but most people seem to be putting Saito 100 or 91 in. I just don't think the 82 will have what it takes to do anything more than the basics. As stated before, I'm using an Enya 90 4 stroke, and I'm worried that won't have enough power.

I was lucky and got my Enya 90 and SuperTiger 90 for $60 each at a club auction, but I would not hesitate to buy another SuperTigre new. They are just outstanding deals. I just bought a ST GS-40 for $49 on Tower, and so far, it is great. Besides their one minor setback (long break-in for ringed engines), there really isn't many other engines that can come close to ST in terms of price/performance.

One more thing - apparently the Four Star 60 is very tail heavy (mine was) - most people have a heavier engine up front to balance things out. I'd say go for the ST 90.

Good luck!
    -Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys,

I'm really considering the Four Star 60 as my second plane also. If I decide to get the Foust Star 60 and put a OS 91 surpass will I need to do any mods for the 90 to fit. Or is it just just use the stock engine mount and it will fit perfectly? I want to get an engine where I don't need to do any mods and it will just slip in.

Thanks
    Plane: AW 50cc Extra 300
    Radio: Futaba 12FG 2.4 GHz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Four Star 60 is definately 4-stroke ready... the supplied engine mounts work fine - there is one caveat, albiet a simple one.

The throttle linkage is factory set up for a two-stroke. Four strokes have their throttle arm on the on the opposite side as a two-stroke. Its a simple fix, though, and is carefully explained in the assembly instructions SIG includes with the model. Great engine choice Frankie

Personally, I can't wait to post some pics of my completed Four Star 60 - I have the engine mounted inverted, and put on a cowl made by Fiberglass Specialties. I also jazzed up the boring yellow covering job that it came with from the factory Updates soon!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I want a four star 60 but nobody has any in stock or at least the ARF versions. man i cant wait does anyone know f the tiger 60 is similar to the 4 star 60.
    four star 40
    Thunder tiger .46 bb pro
    futaba 6 exas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast