Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:20 PM
rambo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

I'm not actually a owner of CMP but i think by the 13th. of May i will be .Thats when my Giles 202 120 size should arrive.By searching internet i'm uncovering 2 possible deficiecies. The first is that the covering adhesive will loosen if fuel or in my case oily gasoline reidue gets in contact with it.The person reporting this said he used Topflight clearcoat to protect his.Is this a real problem? The second one was weak landing gear which the writer reported broke on the first landing.Any truth to this? In spite of all this i'm still VERY excited to see this baby and get her going.Thanks
Old 05-14-2008, 01:44 PM
margusity

I have not flown my plane yet. I am still working on the CG issues. I found the plane to be a bit too tail heavy so I have to take the rudder servo out and put it forward to make a pull pull system. I do plane on putting clear coat over the Plane as well since the scheme is very nice, although becareful, it will chip easily. I put a different tail wheel on plus dubro heavy duty linkage. I am using a saito 120 which might not be enough engine for the plane. I did put fiberglass on the inside of the wheel pants to protect it.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 AM
blueberry78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrcOl1dHYZc

Model: CMPro Mitsubishi A6M2 - 52 Zero Fighter
Pilot: Mr. Beng

Comment: No stated problems. Use no additional weight. Our senior members commented that this plane is comparable to EZ Models' Zero
Old 06-02-2008, 11:47 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: rambo

The person reporting this said he used Topflight clearcoat to protect his.Is this a real problem?

Yes it's a "real" problem and tends to happen over time.

Usually you find out about it as striping or trim starts peeling off in flight.

By this time fuel has seeped in under the trim and the adhesive has turned into a loose gunk.

It varies with the covering used, some ARF's (including CMP) are far more prone to it than others. But I have yet to find a CMP or other asian arf that is totally immune to this.

Top Flight clear coat works wonders, especially if applied when the plane is new.

I've done it to new planes that I KNOW have this tendancy, ( e.g. a prior purchased model's trim came off after 5 flights after exposure to exhaust fuel..) and the result is NO lifting or weakening of the adhesive.

I highly recommend doing it. You can not tell that it is there. The surface merely feels a bit different.

Make sure that there are NO clear plastic parts on the plane. The plane may remain otherwise fully assembled. Apply several coats, in 15 minute intervals. BUFF the clear coat 24 hours after it has dried, with a plastic dish pad...

You'll find that all of the edges are sealed after doing this.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:21 PM
elsabella
My Feedback: (20)

Looking for a wing tube for the giles 202 140. mine is bent and I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere. nor anything that comes close. HELP
Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: elsabella

Looking for a wing tube for the giles 202 140. mine is bent and I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere. nor anything that comes close. HELP
Why not post the exact outer diameter and wing tube length needed. I've been able to find second party matching tubes with only this info.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:06 PM
rc.dude

Hello i have cmp edge T 50cc i am haveing real problem trying to find a balance point in my plane , i balance it 33% mark with the nose little down all it wants to is go up then down when it goes up their is a curve at the top before it comes back down it is a real hand full help rc.dude ?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:38 AM
ny_hawk

I'm just getting back into building again.. I have done some kits in the past with no problems.. But I just got the CMP Corsair 50 and I must admit I am a bit unsure about some things... I'm trying to pick up as much info on the net before I screw something up.. The wings are a big concern in terms of strength and how to put it all together the best way which may not be shown in the huge picture that comes with it.. Lots of other details are omitted and seems to be left up to the builder to figure out.. It's kind of like getting a kit that someone else almost finished but didn't, and also didn't give you the directions for it..

A clear build thread or page on some CMP models would help showing common pit falls and helpful building tips on how to make the most out of what you get... If you are a vendor putting up pages like this will ensure folks see your site, your commitment to the products and will almost certainly order from you....... This way you need nothing from the supplier and add the quality yourself. I know some folks would just give up when faced with only the drawing to work from and would never order again...

Jim
Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 AM
RENO1
My Feedback: (7)

Hi Guys,
New style Katana 140
Crrc 26 engine
Ds 821 servos

Problem: Aileron Flutter

Just built a new style 140 size katana. A really nice looking ship and very few problem areas other than a lot of lead (1.5 lbs) needed to balance plane. The plane flew with only two clicks of aileron needed for hands off flying. On the first flight I put the plane through all types of spins, loops, snaps, knife edge, inverted flight and high speed fly bys with no problems. After 15 minutes of flying I landed and inspected the plane as you do after the first few flights to make sure everything is ok and it was. I then refueled checked batteries and took to the air again. After a few manuvers I had to break off to clear the area for other pilots and was at about 3/4 throttle right in front of the flight box straight and level when the ailerons started to flutter and the left wing folded on the plane. As I and my fellow pilots picked up all the pieces we then tried to figure out what happened with no real answers. It pulled both wing bolts through the side of the plane and the spar was broken. Any help here would be appreicated.

Thanks Mike

PS. By the way al hinge pionts are still attached and the gap is only what is needed to get full deflection.[&o]

Old 07-27-2008, 06:12 PM
dross2200

I purchased the 50 size P-40 CMP ARF from Nitro planes a few weeks ago. I had check the CG at the recommended 81.1 MM but during the first flight the plane acted as if it were tail heavy. Unfortunaltely I'm in need of another wing for it right now but no one seems to be able to get them and I have not recieved an E-mail back from the folks at CMP about being able to purchase one. Has anyone had the same CG issues with these planes and are there any other current issues or fixes out there?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 PM
AK Models

ORIGINAL: BOLD PILOT

Hey Guys,
Alex is a joke. He won't go one second out of his way to help a customer. I purchased a AT-6 and a Giant ZERO from him. When I needed a CANOPY for the ZERO he told me to go to NITRO to get the CANOPY. They wouldn't help me because I didn't have a order number. I called ALEX back and he had a ZERO that he was selling parts out of. When I didn't get the CANOPY in a week I called and he convienently sold the entire left over plane to someone else. Basically he told me to go fly a kit. REALLY A FIRST CLASS -.
See post 252. Alex is not a joke… AK-Models were no longer ABLE to get anything from CMP, even spare parts due to exclusive rights deal. You were referred to our competitors in a hope to help you...
Now we are back and have tons more new kits, but still some spare parts are unavailable.

Also, this thread was started to get a feedback on problems and perhaps suggestions on CMP kits. This thread was NOT INTENDED for technical help on all models CMP makes. Guys that are looking for technical help on specific models – search the RCU for the specific model and I am almost 100% sure you will find what you are looking for.
Although I consider myself as “knowledgeable” person on CMP models, I might not be able to give you the best technical advice on you particular model.
I sell many ARF kits, and it would be impossible for me to build and test every single one of them to be able to provide such specific technical advice. YOU GUYS ARE EACH OTHERS BEST “TECHICAL SUPPORT”, you are the once that build this kits and fly them. Ask guys that fly your specific model and they will tell you all they know.

Quick answers to some guys:
Small P-40 is known for CG problem, I believe there are many threads on this on RCU.

CMP has never produced P-38, kits I sold were purchased from Fly-Models or Rich-Models (could be made by somebody else).

P-51 140 DOES come with FLAPS.

PA BEN – see above please.

Sea Fury – is NOT a CMP kit.

Edge 540 with 2000mm is a BRAND NEW KIT for USA – you will need to tell all of us if there are any problems, hopefully NOT. Link above to the build thread is what I am talking about - YOU GUYS ARE EACH OTHERS BEST “TECHICAL SUPPORT”

CMP P-26 Peeshooter has been discontinued for some time now, if you find one grab it, I do not have one sorry.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:37 AM
jmupilot

What's the proceedure for getting a replacement windshield and cowling for the 40 size Cessna 182? I had an engine fail on take off and the re****ing snap/spin crash caused the the cowling and windshield to break. Can I order replacement parts for the CMP Cessna 182?

Pete
Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM
sam.s.man

Hi guys,
Does anyone have any problem flying CMP Warhawk P40 140/73"?. I have ordered mine and it's on its way...
Old 09-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Darrell B.

I have the CMP AT-6 Texan, and am concerned about the elevator linkages that came with it. Has anyone had problems with flutter on the elevator using the linkages that came with the kit? What are some of the sloutions to solve this problem. I am hesitant to fly this plane like it is, and don't want to put it in on the first flight due to a flutter problem.
Thanks,
Darrell B
Old 09-12-2008, 10:33 AM
gpang788

Hi DRv hows your CMP 50 zero so far? I intend to buy 1 for myself. Any recommendations on the CG? Any other things I should be looking out for?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 PM
AK Models

ORIGINAL: BOLD PILOT

Hey Guys,
Alex is a joke. He won't go one second out of his way to help a customer. I purchased a AT-6 and a Giant ZERO from him. When I needed a CANOPY for the ZERO he told me to go to NITRO to get the CANOPY. They wouldn't help me because I didn't have a order number. I called ALEX back and he had a ZERO that he was selling parts out of. When I didn't get the CANOPY in a week I called and he convienently sold the entire left over plane to someone else. Basically he told me to go fly a kit. REALLY A FIRST CLASS -.
Have one Zero 80" canopy for you if you still need one. - "REALLY trying to be FIRST CLASS"
Old 10-09-2008, 10:55 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the person asling about the 73" p40 , no real problems , its a sweet flying plane
Old 10-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Navyvet

Does anybody know the correct C.O.G. for the cmp zero 50? I've seen alot of reports that say the instructions 95 to 105mm is wrong. What is it.[]
Old 11-08-2008, 03:16 AM
bpoates25

I just bought the CMP F6F Hellcat from Alex at AK-Models. Upon inspecting it for shipping damage, I found a small hole in the left stab. It looked to be a manufacturing defect. It looked like the skin had melted. I called Alex, and he took care of the problem, and is sending me a new stab. He has given me excellent service, and I will use him again for a Zero in the near future.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-08-2008, 12:44 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

hey guys, is there a CMP Discus 2.6m manual to download someplace?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:05 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RE CMP Kits: I think Nitro Models and at least 3 other places have them also. Capt,n
Old 01-02-2009, 04:01 PM
texaswarbird

I flew my CMPro P51 size 50 with CG @75mm. They never get that corrected. I crashed my P40beautiful planebecause of their stupid CG in the manual. Caution: do not slow down these planes and land it hot. They tip stall at low speed.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:26 PM
texaswarbird

I crashed my CMP P40 last summer dued to the CG in the manual. The fuse is not repairable, but the wings are in good shape. Only damage was to the landing blocks. I trashed the fuse, but I still have the wing. Happy to give it to you if you are willing to pay for the box and shipping cost. [email protected]
Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 AM
KentuckyColonel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my CG correct, and my P-40 still crashed. Not a big fan of the CMP 50 series, but understand the larger planes fly very well. I'm just about to go for a new CMP Bf 109.....if I can figure out how to get it in the house without the wife figuring out what is going on......
Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
texaswarbird

Ha ha, I like that. Look like we have a same problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.