Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:14 PM
AK Models

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP Kits – Problems and Solutions

Hi Cubano8 ,
I am R/C flyer, but NO I have not flown all of the kits (I wish I could have time to do that).
Also can not doo much flying in Iowa in November, December or January...
too cold...
I did ask CMP if they had videos of their planes, they told me they did not have them.
If you are looking for best feedback on flying you need to ask people that fly them not the manufacturer as this would be more fair overview.
So the only "Proof in the Pudding" so far is the guy that fly it as electic, I think you have seen his post here on RCU.
Did anybody else have problems with P-40 50?

ORIGINAL: Cubano8

AK Models,

Have you test flown any or all these CMP planes? It would be nice to get some type of feedback from your exp. A video would be nice too. Something like Hobby Lobby has. When they come out with a plane, they take a video of it flying, and post it on there web pages. That way we could see the "Proof in the Pudding".
Old 01-26-2006, 02:37 AM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the CMP Zero-50 size. The engine is YS-110. Even with this engine, I had to add weight to make it slightly nose heavy. I used the CG that was given in the manual. There are 8 other people at my field with the same airplane and engine. Every owner complained that it builds tail heavy with YS-110 in the front. All have used the same CG recommended in the manual. No problems with the airplane flying at 130MPH. The paint is terrible. I used my own hardware. Firewall was reinforced with fiberglass cloth and epoxy.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:55 AM
mimoore67
My Feedback: (51)

I'm glad to here, that you will carrying most of the line that the "other" distributor handled. I attend the Toledo show and on numerous occasions, wanted to purchase from the "other" distributor, but I watched how people were treated and I couldn't part with my "CASH."

Will you be carrying the large Super Decathlon?

Good Luck with your venture!
Old 01-26-2006, 03:22 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Plane: GSP Staudacher GS-300 .. 90" ARF (just in case you start selling these too)

problem:

1- The landing gear failed on mine after a slight bounce on the first landing. The axle twisted right out of the uni-directional fiberglass used in the landing gear. All of the fibers were running vertical.
2- The stringers used on teh bottom of the fuse in the tail section are very very thin and break if you stare at it long. I realize this was to save on weight, but they really are too fragile IMO.

solution
1- Aluminum gear to replace the fiberglass one it comes with
2- 1/4" spruce instead of what looked like 1/8" square wood used on the bottom of the fuse.

Other than those problems, it really was a beautiful ship!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:22 PM
proulxlaw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad to hear that at least I was not the only person who had this problem with the CMP .50 zero. A YS 110 in a .50 size plane and the thing still wouldn't balance! My YS 110 will power any of my 120 size planes with authority.

That fact, coupled with the others at your field with similar problems should suffice in putting the manufacturer on notice that their design and or instructions are seriously flawed. But, they already know that because they have had other complaints about it. I'm sure. They will not acknowledge it however, because they do not want to comprimise profits by making good on the poor product that was sold and do not want to spend money in changing/updating their product to make it any better. They are happy to continue to sell their product(s) to new and unsuspecting consumers without dealing with any of the fallout of all of the modelers who have been duped into buying a knowingly substandard product.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:40 PM
JoeVen

Hi everyone...
Any feedback about the gas scale CMPro models? Both the Sukhoi 80" and Christen Eagle 61" suit pretty well my wallet and I need somebody tell their experience assembling this big birds, such parts to be reinforced, weak hardware, wheight savings, hints...
All your inputs will be very welcomed because I have to think a lot before to pay as much as the plane costs for ship it to Venezuela ...[:@] great attitude of sellers like Alex from AK Models encourage me to go on my part of the bussines.
My solutions?? some links to CMPro planes videos in a web site I can´t read...

3D Passion: http://wimarex.toya.net.pl/samoloty/...y_lotnicze.wmv

My (very soon) Christen Eagle 1.40 : http://wimarex.com.pl/samoloty/cmpro...istenEagle.wmv

Katana 50: http://www.ultra-rc.com/store/video/katana_urc.wvx

Ryan 40: http://wimarex.toya.net.pl/samoloty/...pma1355-bg.mov

Let us fly...
Old 01-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Woody 51

CMP P26 Peashooter. Undercarriage wire. This was redesigned once by the factory after the landing gear legs in the 1st release kits were found to be too flexible.
The Mk 2 design with the added rear brace has gone to the other extreme and ithe legs are now not flexible enough. The current design will not allow the u/cart wire to torque and absorb landing shock. The shock is therefore transmitted into the rear wing mount and causes errosion of the mounting hole in the rear of the wing.
Also, quality control on this same part. The slots/holes for the wire, in each wing, do not match up with the supplied undercarriage wire legs. ( they didn't in the 2 P26's I have anyway.)
So I had to have a friend bend up some new legs and in doing so, we redesigned them to allow the wire to absorb landing shock. A rough diagram is attached.
The inverted "V" shape allows the front leg and the brace to flex back and forth, therefore absorbing shock caused by landing and taxiing around.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43415.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	396592  
Old 01-28-2006, 12:22 PM
lloyd a

I have had several cmp planes and the one concern that seems to be common to all flyers of arf's is the quality of hardware. I have used some that is supplied and on others I have replaced them with more heavy duty harware saving one's supplied for smaller 40 size plane's. It seems that most flyer's in the 72" size do not use the hardware supplied. would be nice to know if this harware is stong enough for advanced flying or not. if it is not why supply it.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:12 PM
lloyd a

another problem that is in the 72"300s instructions is the way you get your 2degrees down thrust on a sideway's mounted motor. using supplied 2 piece mount.If you put washer's behind the top mount that will space that mount out from the firewall but will not change down thrust. You just get slightly staggered mounts. Better way is to sand the back of both mounts at a 2 degree angle and mount them. that keeps the mount beam's parallel to each other and at 2 degree's down. incident meter works well in this situation
Old 01-28-2006, 08:59 PM
SERCE

Alex,
By finding this thread, I now know you carry CMP Products. I purchased mine from Jet Hobbies in Canada.
I have a few questions/concerns. A rumor bouncing around our club is that CMP is going out of business ?
I have not seen anything in writing concerning that this is true.
I purchased the CMP F6F Hellcat 120 around 6 months ago and love it to death. I to had the same
problem with stab flutter as mentioned at the beginning of this thread by someone else. I just built a box around
the elevator dowel pushrod where it rest on the bridge. There was just to much slop in it.
One last thing, If anybody knows how to, I would really like to put robart struts on this bird but I have
never ordered any before. She would really last longer as I seem to have a few hard landings from
time to time. Anyway, thanks for the info.
W4DNQ/Ron
Old 01-28-2006, 09:04 PM
SERCE

Forgot something:
Does anyone know where I can find a match for the dark blue paint on the CMP F6F-Hellcat ?
Cause I to continue to loose flakes everytime I bump the plane against something.
[]
Old 01-30-2006, 05:24 PM
dannost
My Feedback: (4)

proulxlaw,

I'm confused. DrV seemed to say that the 8 zeros in his club all used the CG reccommended in the instructions, and that they fly
fine. I have one other friend at my field who has this plane and he also used the CG stated with no problems.

The CG in the instructions locates it right about on the spar, which is usually safe bet.

I am just about finished with one of these, all I have to do is mount the engine, a YS 63, and balance it. You have me scared about
where to locate the CG.

I seems the majority have used the reccommended range. I think I will put it just a bit ahead of the spar and hope for the best. I will let you know what happens.

I'm wondering if there isn't another problem with yours, such as incidence as one person mentioned. Although did you say it has happened to 2 planes? The one you have now, is it a 3rd? Have you flown it yet?
Old 01-30-2006, 05:48 PM
proulxlaw

Re-read post 44. The writer indicates that even with a YS110, his is still tail heavy and so are about 8 others at his field set up the same way.

To get this plane to balance so that it will fly at all, it is my belief that it would need to be balanced at around 85mm from leading edge rather than the 95-110 that the manual suggests. At 85mm a significant amount of weight will be needed with most engines including the YS 63 that you are planning to use. My second plane is set up with a TT .91 (about 26 ozs.) and it still needs about a pound of lead in the nose to balance at 85mm. This brings the plane to over 8lbs. for a .40 size plane. My only guess is that it will fly like a brick with the higher weight and wing loading.

I have 2 of these planes. The first crashed twice for this reason and I have yet to fly the second. It is ready to go and it will be flown in the spring.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:36 AM
KBAirplanes

I purchased a Cmp P-40 .50 size warbird, and to get it to balance at the recommended C.G., I had to add 1.25 lbs. to the nose, with a .46 AX engine. The total weight for this plane came out at 7.25 lbs.- Keep in mind that this is only a .50 size plane! The plane violently spun into the ground and was completely destroyed on the first flight after a shallow turn (going full power) about 30 seconds into the flight. Considering that the plane was set up 100% according to the manual, and was traveling as fast as it could when it stalled and spun, it seems like there are some inherent design issues/ c.g. issues with this airplane. Has anyone else had similar problems with the cmp .50-size P-40?
Old 02-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Cubano8

Sorry to hear about your loss, apparently your not the 1st.

[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375831]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375831[/link]
Old 02-02-2006, 11:18 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

I have looked at the 1.40 size P-40, but the wheels just look WAY too small. Not being able to inspect one of the planes first hand, I cannot tell if adding larger, more scale size wheels would present a problem for wheel well fitting (do you have to comprimise wing structure by cutting into ribs etc to fit larger wells?). Also it would be nice to know if either CJM or Robart pneumatic retracts would fit without much mod, and if so, what models.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:20 PM
salmon
My Feedback: (114)

GSP extra 300,

problem. you can see the balsa tru the covering, the paint of the cowling is peeling off, nothing fits. they ask for %25 restoking fee if you send it back

solution. never buy trash from them again
Old 02-07-2006, 04:43 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Has anyone flown the CMP 50 size Zero

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old 02-08-2006, 01:43 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

I find it very hard to believe that the 50 size Zero needs a 110 four stroke to balance or indeed that to get a balance it comes in at over 8 pounds................ Can this be true

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old 02-08-2006, 10:56 PM
proulxlaw

Yes. It is true. Unless you believe that all 12 or so experienced warbird fliers who have had the same problem have all made the same mistakes in building and balancing their CMP .50 Zeros. Possible but, very unlikely.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:01 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FlyingPilgrim

I have looked at the 1.40 size P-40, but the wheels just look WAY too small. Not being able to inspect one of the planes first hand, I cannot tell if adding larger, more scale size wheels would present a problem for wheel well fitting (do you have to comprimise wing structure by cutting into ribs etc to fit larger wells?). Also it would be nice to know if either CJM or Robart pneumatic retracts would fit without much mod, and if so, what models.

Check the thread on the CMP Warhawk, Pilgrim. You'll find out how large a wheel can be fitted. Century Jet makes a retract set specifically for this model... I just bought a set for mine.

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 02-09-2006, 03:41 AM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, we race 40-60 size war birds with YS-110 engines. The Zero does need little more weight to the front to balance well even with a YS-110. We now just modify the servo tray and move all the servos and battery as forward as possible. This way no further weight is needed. Here is a picture of 5 of such zeros at our field. Tail number 1163 is mine with "Rain Deer Jack" as the Pilot. Rest of the war birds except the Hanger 9 Mustang (which has YS-140) all have YS-110s in them.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40279.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	404751  
Old 02-09-2006, 01:28 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Yes but those Zero's in the picture are the 90 size from CMP I was talking about the 50 size

http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...TF%20-%20CMPro = 50 Size

http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...TF%20-%20CMPro = 90 Size

Am I correct ????
Old 02-09-2006, 01:30 PM
wellington53

I purchased the CMP .40 size P-51 Mustang. The build went well and I used everything in the kit. Nothing was missing either. The engine of choice was an OS .46. The balance came out really nose heavy with a weight at 6 pounds, but went ahead with the maiden anyway. Gave full throttle and she took off. Immediately she wanted to bank to the left so I tried to trim her but she still wasn't right. I then re-maidened her with as much right hand engine torque as possible which made it a little better. The problem must be wing warp Right? I don't like it!
Glenn.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

Yes but those Zero's in the picture are the 90 size from CMP I was talking about the 50 size
They do look like the 50 size to me since they are roughly the same size as the Kyosho 109 and Kyosho Spitfire. The Hangar 9 Mustang looks slightly larger than those Zeroes in the picture, even though the Mustang is in the background.

I can't believe the Kyosho birds have YS 110's in them [sm=eek.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.