Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Anyone interested in an A-10 ARF? If so, please tell me what you would like to see!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Anyone interested in an A-10 ARF? If so, please tell me what you would like to see!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 04:01 PM
t-craft-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone interested in an A-10 ARF? If so, please tell me what you would like to see!

Erick:

I like the A-10. The nice thing about it is the engines are very accessable. Retracks-yes, flaps-yes. I think $600-700 would be alright. I'd prefer to have an A-6 Intruder ARF for use with twin turbines and I'd spend up to $2000.
Old 11-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I would love a large electric!

That way it would sound more realistic without the expense of a turbine. Electric motors rarely fail. Since there are two the motors and fans are smaller. There have been some smaller A-10 electrics so you would have to add the flaps, aileron speed break, working bombs, etc. How bout an Estes Maverik missle?
Old 11-27-2002, 04:38 PM
Sport_Pilot

Default Anyone interested in an A-10 ARF? If so, please tell me what you would like to see!

I'm sorry, but you and your dad's friend are incorrect. The A-10 was never designed to attack air targets.

During the gulf war they found the A-10 very effective going after Iraqi helicopters. As I recall one mission they were out of sidewinders and used the Gatling gun. The shells went right through the coptor without exploding. They had to fire several times till the shells hit something hard enough for them to work.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:53 PM
System07

I saw a special on the discovery wings channel about the A-10 and they said the gatling gun in the front actually had more thrust than the engines so technically if they had enough ammo to keep it going they could stop it in the air. although we all know that isn't practical, i just thought that fact was pretty sweet.
-Erik
Old 11-27-2002, 09:35 PM
robert

I would LOOOOOOVVVVEEEEE one around the OS 46DF (If they are still made). But It'll have to be big.
And yes, I would like it to have everything described above.
Old 11-28-2002, 01:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

Default I forgot the gattling gun!

A working gun firing blanks of course would be nice. Real bullets would make Mr. Brown real mad.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:21 AM
big man

David A & Whstlngdeath,

Your right!

Hey guy's I'm not going to argue for a second about the A-10's classification because, indeed, it's not classified as a fighter. It is however CONSIDERED a fighter. There are three general classifications for advanced pilot training tracks in the Airforce. Heavy's, Fighter's & Rotary Wing. A-10's fall under fighters.

Sorry everybody, but as I side-note I have to say this: In my last post I did my best friend's dad a terrible injustice, I called him a Squadron Commander. I forgot he's now a Group Commander. SORRY Matt, didn't mean to bump you down in rank.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:06 PM
Muffinman

Default A-10 ARF

I can't offer any opinion about an ARF of this plane. Just a side note on that gun up front onn this thing. I was the admin officer in the Armament & Munitions Test Squadron while the GAU-7 and GAU-8 were under development for the bird. I know nothing about either weapon, except the sound of the beasts. When they were testing them, You could hear them anywhere on base, I always called them the "Elephant Fart" gun. They were really loud, and had a very distinctive sound.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:12 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

I thought this forum was about an ARF a-10, we all know that its a cool plane, argue about the small stuff somewhere else. In order to make a profitable plane that will be on the market a while I agree with the gentleman that suggested a kit around $299 or less. Of course everyone would like a ducted fan version but D/F engines are all going to cost over $200 a piece not to mention fan units meaning a plane that cost $600-$700 will run about $1500 :drowning: to get in the air. Lets get a kit on the market that someone can have in the air for about $700 . A .60 single pusher would be awsome similar to the combat models plane. Another proven concept of an affordable a-10 would be the scratch built one that was futured in the July 2001 model airplane news. It has twin tractor engines that are completly concelled in the engine nacelles, it looks great , and the power units are about 1/8 the cost of what ducted fan powerunits run. Retracts are a must, flaps would be optional with the low wing loading an A-10 should have, a doubt they would be needed.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:30 PM
OWIERK

Default A10 ARF? You Bet.

An A10 ARF would be great.

80" wingspan at least.
Retracks.
Flaps.
To keep it simple for the everyday flyer who wants one, make it with 2 standard or pusher props, 46's or 60's whatever is required.

Use only the best hardware, most people trash and replace cheap hardware anyway.

$600-700 dollars sounds reasonable.
Keith
Old 03-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Cappie

Default Why A Pusher Design

I have the OV-10 Bronco ARF from hobby hangar that flies very well. My question, why bother with a pusher design, have a conventional forward facing engine/prop with enough clearance-Clarence on the nacelles. I thought that sort of design was being tested in the real world on the MD Super 80

Should work pretty welll.....just a thought.

Cappie
Old 03-14-2003, 09:20 PM
OWIERK

Default Cappie I Agree

I lived in Germany during most of 1990. There was a guy in the local RC Club (before I started flying) that had an A10 with two standard forward facing motors, flaps, retracts and pretty scaled out. The airplane had about 70"ws as far as I can remember.

Flew great and even had a whistle to it, when it flew by, because of the air going through the nacelles.

I've really want to get one.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:18 AM
Sgt. Pepper

i would love to have an A-10arf fully loaded at that ws price to be resonable. infact that is exactly what i am looking for in plans for about 3 months now
Old 04-25-2003, 04:42 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Default AN A-10 ARF GOT MY VOTE

I would like to see the A-10 in an ARF version, Camo of course with sharks teeth.
70 in wing if fine
Make it Ducted fan or pusher optional
Flaps optional also.
Retracts are a must with the ability to fly off grass as well as hard surface. Alot of people dont have access to a hard surface run way at there club field.
Disign it so , a new comer to Fans or dual engines could step up to the A-10 and fly it with confidience.
Oh dont forget the cannon on the front.
Price ... Well make it resonable so the company that provise it can sell it. Dont want to out price your self.
NEDYOB
Old 04-25-2003, 11:42 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

NEDYOB,
Camo? 99.9% of all A-10s were solid colored. There was one or possibly two A-10s that were used for a weapons training course done in a splotch camo scheme, experimental, and that was it.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

Color was solid grey, then OD green, then back to grey, now some are green again. I think some were painted tan during Dessert Storm, not sure about that. If the ARF had Myrtle Beach AFB markings I think I could talk my wife into letting me buy it.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:28 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Default RE: CAMO ???

I by all means am not a A-10 expert. But the OD green color sceme would sell hand down. Only bad thing is, If it goes down in a corn field, say good bye.
NEDYOB
Old 04-25-2003, 12:47 PM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default ARF A-10

I've got my cheque book out. Has it been decieded if the said company has gone ahead with plans for the A-10 or have they shelved the project ?.

Retracts - yes
70" ws - yes
Flaps - yes
$600 - yes
DF Glow - yes

Grinder.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Sport_Pilot

I agree with you grinder. But maybe $300 for the price. :sunsmiley I know. Wishfull thinking.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:20 PM
jgiles-RCU

With all of the .40-.60 size ARF's out there now for less than $200 this plane needs to come in at or below $200. Hopefully everyone throwing out the $6-700 numbers are referring to the RTF price minus radio.

My specs: twin .15-.18 DF's (Kyosho) or electric substitute, o-size the engine nacelles as it's too difficult to keep them scale AND pack in enough power. RETRACTS, by all means. Flaps? Optional as they most likely won't be needed. Plane must be capable of scale flight at a minimum with high g yanking and banking, decent ROC, and loops.

Lets see: 200 (plane) + >400 (engines& fans) + 200 retracts = 800 minimum (ouch!)

Anyway to get it under $500 minus radio?
Old 04-25-2003, 10:06 PM
deputydog

There were some green/blue gray camo ones in the european theatre and some of those carried over to Desert Storm. Also everyone was painting their planes with tan water based latex Desert Storm and the paint would come off with a hi press sprayer. The A-10 was designed as an air to ground anti-tank weapon to combat the multitude of russian armor. Later as an afterthought they decided to outfit it with sidewinders in an anti helicopter role or as a self defense air to air role but by no means as a fighter! In the beginning it was the most sought after billet in the USAF. Then the air farce decided to get rid of them and the Marines looked at them. Well Desert Storm came along and they proved their worth so the fly boys decided to keep them.
Either way this is a beautiful/ugly bird that many of us would own! OH, and yes the A-10 did slow down when it fired it's gun!
Old 04-26-2003, 01:30 AM
grinder-RCU

Default ARF A-10

I understand that the gattlin gun has 19,000lbs of recoil, and the engines have 19,000 lbs of thrust. therefore only 2 seconds bursts of the cannon are used. see attached pic.

Grinder.
Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2003, 01:48 AM
deputydog

The gun system is as long as a cessna 150 and yes it was limited to a 2 sec burst and would slow down 10-20kts each time it fired.
I have 1 of the 30mm dummy rounds in the shop!
Old 04-26-2003, 02:26 AM
grinder-RCU

Default ARF A-10

http://www.dm.af.mil/demoteam/

Found some good download vids on this site. Just a little something to spark some interest. One video shows 2 sec firing of gun on the ground. Unbelievable!! wouldn't want to be on the receiving end. Now if only the kit manufactourors would do an ARF.

Grinder.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:40 AM
flyerdarren

I would gladly pay up to $500 for a good quality A-10 ARF. DF's would be good and strong retracts would be a must. Flaps would be okay as an option. This plane would have to be big though, 72 to 80 " ws. Keep us posted on the company says.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.