Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Avistar vs. NExsatar????

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Avistar vs. NExsatar????

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 06:49 AM
Mchwind Chimes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avistar vs. NExsatar????

i know both are trainers and good ones too. But i heard nexstar is a str8 up trainer, but avistar is a progresive trainer, allowing room for first stage acrobatics....... which one do you think is better..??
Old 01-13-2006, 09:38 AM
SaCCaL72

Default RE: Avistar vs. NExsatar????

Mchwind Chimes,
Well I can only speak from experience for the Avistar although I have seen the Nexstar fly but I never flew it. The Avistar is a great plane, it is easy to fly and as you said it is an advanced trainer but easy enough for beginners. It can be flown very easy and slow with very predictable characteristics. But on the other hand, with a slightly bigger engine in it other, say a 46, you can fly basic aerobatics with it. Loops, rolls, inverted flight, I have even pulled a knife edge with it. I would say it is a great plane and you won't be disappointed with it. It also takes a good beating, it is a strong built plane. As you advance you will still like flying the Avistar as it is a good plane for the beginning of the season to get the jitters worked out or even for flying in the winter.

Now as for the Nexstar, I have seen people flying them, but I am really not sure of its flying characteristics or aerobatic ability other than loops. I would be safe in saying the Avistar would probably be a better choice. It worked for me... I hope this helps and good luck with whatever choice you decide to make...
Old 01-13-2006, 12:09 PM
shakes268

The nextstar can fly loops, rolls, snaps (really slow ones), stall turns, inverted flight and many other aerobatic manuevers. It's not as responsive as a avistar though - the avistar will do everything quicker and more precise.

Trainers can fly many basic aerobatic manuevers - don't underestimate them. Also, the difficulty in making a trainer do something precise is a great learning experience in itself because once you move on to something else it's SO much easier.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Mchwind Chimes

ok cool, what else
Old 01-13-2006, 12:59 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Will this be your first airplane? Do you have an instructor?

Jerry
Old 01-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Mchwind Chimes

i have an easy 2, but someone dropped there luggage on it and broke the landing gear, it ripped the would rite off.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:35 PM
denford

I own and learned with an instructor on the nexstar trainer. I have not flown the avistar, but I have heard the included .40 motor is not enough power. You can make some simple adjustments to the nexstar and make it do a lot for a trainer. Example: Remove the airfoils on the wing, adjust the throws, not use the included flaps, and turn off the pilot assistant!!!! Plus you get the realflight nexstar edition software. It is not upgradable, but is a valuable tool for learning. You can adjust the wind settings and the program includes a flight instructor showing flight and stick movements. I have heard guys saying at the field that installing a .46 makes the avistar a good trainer. Have you thought about buying the ARF version of the avistar and installing your choice of radio and engine?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:43 PM
SaCCaL72

I have heard the included .40 motor is not enough power.
I have heard guys saying at the field that installing a .46 makes the avistar a good trainer. Have you thought about buying the ARF version of the avistar and installing your choice of radio and engine?
denford,
It is correct that the supplied OS .40LA is not enough power to do much of anything but as you said, buying the ARF for $99 is a good idea. I threw in an OS .46AX in mine and it really made a night and day difference. I have since put in a SuperTigre .45 in it and it is just as good. It is a good plane and with a little extra power, it a great plane.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:42 PM
roltech

Your right about the Nexstar I have both started with the Nexstar. A OS46AX in the Avistar is the right motor as far as I'm concerned
It flies great mine was an ARF.

roltech
Old 01-14-2006, 10:31 PM
}{unter

I just got my avistar not to long agaio..... ive flown it a couple of times so far and i have to say i just love it..... i have did some aerobatics with it and they all went good.... does pretty loops and all.... the supplied .40 with the avistar is plenty of power for this bird?? its perfect for me.... if i wanted it any faster i would get a sport....
cant wait to take it to the field tommorow..... wind permitting..... like 30 mph today !! whew....

}{unter

if u have any questions about the avistar i would be happy to hear
Old 01-15-2006, 10:42 AM
easton24

The avistar flies fine with the 40. This is a trainer that you can learn basic aerobatics on. This was my first plane and I would highly recommend it.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:29 AM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven`t flown the Nextstar, but learned on and still fly my Avistar with an OS 46 ( replaced the 40LA ) even though I have other planes. Just a great plane and an RC classic IMHO. I will say this though, with a 46 it can be a hot rod and I don`t think it`s the best choice for a first basic trainer. I probably would have soloed sooner with an LT-40, PT-40, Nextstar, etc.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:08 PM
SaCCaL72

the supplied .40 with the avistar is plenty of power for this bird??
The avistar flies fine with the 40.
Yes the Avistar does fly fine with the .40LA as long as there isn't any wind or the grass on the runway isn't too high. I flew it with the .40LA and it did fly it ok, but I had problems getting up to speed at times when the runway was not trimmed really low. It just didn't have enough steam to get itself going fast enough. Other than that, yes it will fly with the .40LA. But when you get a little more advanced in your training, you would benefit from a more powerful engine.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:14 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

I know this is off subject some. If I were you I'd go for something bigger like a Sig Kadet Sr. ARF.The only problem with those other trainers is their still on the small size. Anyone who has flow a bigger plane knows bigger flies better. A good OS 46AX will fly it awesome. Plus you get some assembling experiance instead of plug and play. Things happen slower with a bigger trainer like a Kadet..
Just my 2 cents..
later,
Frank
Old 01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Ferocious Frankie
My Feedback: (7)

As I am still learning I can not give you an expert opinion,but I have a Nexstar and it's great.It's a very smooth flyer,can do nice rolls,loops,hard turns, just about anything you want.For my 2 cents go with the Nexstar.I'm sure you will like it.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Mchwind Chimes

ok cool
Old 01-16-2006, 04:10 PM
G-Pete

The Nextstar is a Cadillac and fly like a Cadillac. Very gentle and if you are good you can make some full scale looking landings.
It’s very forgiving and with the soft ware (simulator) it is a good trainer. Minor crashes don’t hurt the Nextstar and the “bus†flies almost by’em self, the self leveling unit do not work well – so just don’t use it.

The Avistar is the better trainer of those two, lighter simpler and with training gear off and full throws this plane flies awesome. Loops, fast rolls and spins – even snap rolls. If you put a Saito 72 on it you can hover this plane.

The most Next stars get shredded because the owner get tired of it and do some “mistakes†– most guys who I know they keep their Avistar and have a blast…

Well, second is the price at Tower Hobbies the Avistar is $279.99 and the Nextstar is for $379.98. hundred bucks…different. That’s a lot fuel, glow plugs or a nice present for the wife, for the occupation of the garage/living room/office or guest room.

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete
Old 01-16-2006, 07:19 PM
smokingwreckage

I bought an Avistar ARF and practiced on FMS while the epoxy cured. Bolted on an OS .46 AX with a 10x6 APC and installed the flight pack that came with a Futaba 6EXA. Joined a club, took it to the field, and since nobody was there I thought I'd do some taxi practice. The plane ended up airborne and was destroyed.

Next I bought a Nexstar Select. The included RealFlight is much better than FMS. The electronic instructor is quite helpful for a newbie. I found an instructor and managed about 6 flights on a buddy box. Been crashing by myself ever since.

I had a lot of problems with the Nexstar, like air bubbles in the fuel line causing numerous deadsticks, landing gear falling off in flight causing a crash, tail feathers refusing to stay lined up, causing chronic problems staying trimmed, the front half of the fuselage coming unglued, etc. Mercifully, gremlins bumped the rudder trim one day prior to takeoff, and the plane yawed right, rolled over, and went straight in, never getting more than 6 feet off the ground. Good riddance to that lemon. I tossed it in a heap with the Avistar and bought the Nexstar ARF. I never used the AFS, so I can't speak about that.

The second Nexstar got the OS .46 FX out of the first, but with an 11x5 APC prop, and the flight pack out of the Avistar, with an added servo from the original Nexstar to have flaperons (the Nexstar wing is equipped with mounts for the dual servo option). Bump a trim on an EX radio, and it won't make much difference in flight, plus, the transmitter beeps to tell you a change has been made. I bolted in the landing gear with a nylon wing bolt on each side, right through the bump in the plastic snap under the servo tray that's supposed to hold the gear in, re-glued everything I could reach, trimmed around the fuel tank and added some foam, and a few other mods I learned about with the first Nexstar. I didn't bother installing the leading edge spoilers or training flaps. I flew the snot out of that Nexstar. Learned to do loops, rolls, stalls, inverted, cross-wind landings and takeoffs, etc. Then one day, after 40-50 successful flights, I'm flying along inverted and the radio just stopped working. No response at all. She went into a full power dive all the way down, and ended up a pile of rubble.

I bought a second Avistar and built it with the EX flight pack and the .46 AX with 12x4 APC. After 40-50 flights with the Nexstar, the Avistar was a good second plane. I installed foam around the fuel tank and re-glued everything I could reach. I modified the wing servo mount to hold 2 servos inside the fuselage, and made a wing joiner with no dihedral and a wedge to fit between the wing halves. It wasn't fast, but I learned to hover, and even got a torque roll out of it once or twice. On about the 10th flight I ran out of fuel, breaking the prop. The only other prop I had was an 11x6. It was fast, but would not hover. I started practicing basic pattern and 3D flying with the Avistar. A local club pylon races .46-size trainers, so I bolted on a 10x7 prop and went racing. I had tons of fun with the Avistar, until it was destroyed in an air-to-air.

If you are just starting out, go with the Nexstar ARF. Install a good ball bearing sport .45 or .46 and go ahead and splurge on a 6-channel computer radio you won't outgrow too soon. Assemble the wing with dual servos for flaperons, re-glue everything, put bolts in the wheel retainers, and run an 11x5 APC or 11x6 Master Airscrew prop. Find an instructor and learn on a buddy box. After 50-60 successful solo flights you'll be ready for an Avistar with dual aileron servos and no dihedral.

I also have a Kadet Senior ARF with a .46 FX from the Nexstar select. It is very easy to fly, and I can heartly recommend it for a first plane, if the wind does not blow more than 10 mph. It is a handful on the runway in a cross-wind, though wind doesn't bother it at all in the air.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:59 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: smokingwreckage

I bought an Avistar ARF and practiced on FMS while the epoxy cured. Bolted on an OS .46 AX with a 10x6 APC and installed the flight pack that came with a Futaba 6EXA. Joined a club, took it to the field, and since nobody was there I thought I'd do some taxi practice. The plane ended up airborne and was destroyed.

Next I bought a Nexstar Select. The included RealFlight is much better than FMS. The electronic instructor is quite helpful for a newbie. I found an instructor and managed about 6 flights on a buddy box. Been crashing by myself ever since.

I had a lot of problems with the Nexstar, like air bubbles in the fuel line causing numerous deadsticks, landing gear falling off in flight causing a crash, tail feathers refusing to stay lined up, causing chronic problems staying trimmed, the front half of the fuselage coming unglued, etc. Mercifully, gremlins bumped the rudder trim one day prior to takeoff, and the plane yawed right, rolled over, and went straight in, never getting more than 6 feet off the ground. Good riddance to that lemon. I tossed it in a heap with the Avistar and bought the Nexstar ARF. I never used the AFS, so I can't speak about that.

The second Nexstar got the OS .46 FX out of the first, but with an 11x5 APC prop, and the flight pack out of the Avistar, with an added servo from the original Nexstar to have flaperons (the Nexstar wing is equipped with mounts for the dual servo option). Bump a trim on an EX radio, and it won't make much difference in flight, plus, the transmitter beeps to tell you a change has been made. I bolted in the landing gear with a nylon wing bolt on each side, right through the bump in the plastic snap under the servo tray that's supposed to hold the gear in, re-glued everything I could reach, trimmed around the fuel tank and added some foam, and a few other mods I learned about with the first Nexstar. I didn't bother installing the leading edge spoilers or training flaps. I flew the snot out of that Nexstar. Learned to do loops, rolls, stalls, inverted, cross-wind landings and takeoffs, etc. Then one day, after 40-50 successful flights, I'm flying along inverted and the radio just stopped working. No response at all. She went into a full power dive all the way down, and ended up a pile of rubble.

I bought a second Avistar and built it with the EX flight pack and the .46 AX with 12x4 APC. After 40-50 flights with the Nexstar, the Avistar was a good second plane. I installed foam around the fuel tank and re-glued everything I could reach. I modified the wing servo mount to hold 2 servos inside the fuselage, and made a wing joiner with no dihedral and a wedge to fit between the wing halves. It wasn't fast, but I learned to hover, and even got a torque roll out of it once or twice. On about the 10th flight I ran out of fuel, breaking the prop. The only other prop I had was an 11x6. It was fast, but would not hover. I started practicing basic pattern and 3D flying with the Avistar. A local club pylon races .46-size trainers, so I bolted on a 10x7 prop and went racing. I had tons of fun with the Avistar, until it was destroyed in an air-to-air.

If you are just starting out, go with the Nexstar ARF. Install a good ball bearing sport .45 or .46 and go ahead and splurge on a 6-channel computer radio you won't outgrow too soon. Assemble the wing with dual servos for flaperons, re-glue everything, put bolts in the wheel retainers, and run an 11x5 APC or 11x6 Master Airscrew prop. Find an instructor and learn on a buddy box. After 50-60 successful solo flights you'll be ready for an Avistar with dual aileron servos and no dihedral.

I also have a Kadet Senior ARF with a .46 FX from the Nexstar select. It is very easy to fly, and I can heartly recommend it for a first plane, if the wind does not blow more than 10 mph. It is a handful on the runway in a cross-wind, though wind doesn't bother it at all in the air.
What you should do is what one of my club members did with his Kadet Sr. He made it into a Tail Dragger and it handles the wind on the ground much better.And looks awesome!!
Later
Old 01-16-2006, 09:21 PM
smokingwreckage

Hmm? It's not the ground handling that is a problem, it's wind gusts while in ground effect.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 PM
}{unter

wow after the first 3 trainers i would have had to stop..... sorry for the (Bad) luck.

Love my avistar and its a lot of fun.....i have had it about a month now and have some flights on it.... i love it more than anything!!! its just so awsome to see my pretty bird fly....

btw i self trained on this plane.... i never had an instructor or any training.... There are no clubs or instructors withing 200 - 400 miles from me. I did have some training on G2 but thats it.... i learned a lot with my avistar....

Now i love flying and currently have a Avistar and edge 580 foamy and a Humming bird v3 Heli

Love all 3

Thanks for all your help guys

}{unter
Old 01-16-2006, 09:48 PM
acesmike

Like the others I cannont speak for both planes, but I have a Nextstar and LOVE it! It is so good I also bought one for my dad to learn with for X-mas. If it helps, the Nexstar is the choice trainer at my club. Just like G-PETE said, it flys like a cadillac, rock solid in the air. I am also doing loops, rolls and figure eights with ease.
-mike
Old 01-17-2006, 10:07 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mchwind Chimes

i know both are trainers and good ones too. But i heard nexstar is a str8 up trainer, but avistar is a progresive trainer, allowing room for first stage acrobatics....... which one do you think is better..??

------------------

Since I think truly basic trainers are a waste of money for the average newbie, I am for the Avistar. It might take you a flight or two more to become comfortable with it, but after that you can proceed on to learning how to actually fly, instead of interrupting the flight path of what is essentially a free flight model. Just my two cents.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:52 PM
AcroJo

As an instructor I fly both. The Avistar wins hands down. Cost should be an issue especially when you pay $100.00 more for attachments that hinder the planes flight. If the simulator helps you then it is money well spent. In my opinion, the stall shoulders, drag flaps and ground sensor are a waste.

A 46AX on an Avistar, will get you through tall grass, but that is its only benefit, as it is too much weight for the plane and hinders flight performance. Keep it light. The first ARFs were good, but more involved in build. The select series is easy to complete but slightly heavier.

A good choice over the .40LA is the .46LA, a little more power and still light.

Now if you really want to get involved beyond assembling a box O' stuff and hitting the field, try a Norvel .40 Weighs a couple ounces less than a .46AX and has more BHP.

Here is 'old faithfull' with some progressive mods over four years.
Dihedral removed.
Tail dragger conversion.
Removed all none essentials for almost 1-1/2 lb. weight save.
Same lame .46 LA up front.
Lifts off in about 10 feet and will hover, but with no pull out.
AUW 4 lb. 3.8 oz.
The Avistar is timeless and destined to be a classic. Good luck with your decision. Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55774.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	389592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38020.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	389593  
Old 01-17-2006, 07:47 PM
taggem

I learned to fly on the Nexstar. Solo'ed after about 10 total buddy box flights. never crashed, a few rough landings but the plane was never hurt. I bought the arf and put a 46 ax on it., after about 6 weeks I moved all the gear (radio and engine) to a Sig Something Extra. IMO I think this plane is the best to learn on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.