Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Staggerwing

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite Staggerwing

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 04:32 PM
COL J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

ORIGINAL: Birddog-RCU

ORIGINAL: Tall Texan

I just received my two bottom wings today. The fit is better but still have the same problem with the misfit of the leading edge from the wing to the fuse. Talke to Top-Flite today and they want me to send the fuse and the wings back to them so that they can show their vendor. As I expected, Top-Flite will make good on this. Just some more time waiting. Not really a problem here as it is getting to cold to fly anyway. It was 11 degrees here this morning and expecting snow tomorrow.
What does the trailing edge look like with the leading edge fitting that way?

The trailing edge is fine. It was this way on both sets of lower wings. It appaears to me that when they finished off the leading edge on the fuse, someone got a little over-zealous with a sander or grinder. And, someone either did not trial fit the wings or a QC point was missed in the process. At any rate, I shipped the whole kit to Top Flite today for a replacement.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:53 PM
apalset

Trying to upload some images of the Saito 170.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83851.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	553202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99798.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	553203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35471.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	553204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr47289.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	553205  
Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 PM
COL J

Apalset,

Hey that looks great. I am going to use the same one. By the way, have you looked and the pressure ported exhaust ring that Keleo-Creations makes for the 170? I will use one of these beacuase you then route the exhaust out the two exhaust ports on the cowl. And, withthe preeeure port, I will use the Cline Regulator and not worry too much about moving the fuel tank.
ORIGINAL: apalset

Trying to upload some images of the Saito 170.
[link]http://www.keleo-creations.com[/link]
Old 11-02-2006, 05:28 PM
apalset

I have ordered the Keleo-ring but didn`t mention the exhaust ports in the cowl when ordering. Don´t know how to tell Keleo where I want the exhaust to get out.
It is not a pressure port I think, its a draining port and a lot of oil is coming out of there. So to use it for a pump might not be a good idea.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:54 PM
apalset

Sorry, I was thinking about the pressure port at the engine, not the one at the Keleo-Ring. But gives that enough pressure for a pump?
Old 11-02-2006, 06:44 PM
COL J

ORIGINAL: apalset

Sorry, I was thinking about the pressure port at the engine, not the one at the Keleo-Ring. But gives that enough pressure for a pump?
I'm not sure either. Maybe someone else out there maight know. I sent them an email and we will see what he comes back with.

Here is my idea for giving him some instructions for the two exhaust tubes. I believe that his web site gives the dimensions of the ring. I am going to cut out a card board ring in those dimensions and then attempt to transfer the exhaust locations from the cowl with the ring held in place. Then he could weld the two tubes to the ring in those locations. Could also ask for the tubes to be a little longer and then cut to length after. Also could use some flexible exhaust tubing from Saito or OS. What do you think?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:26 PM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried a Cline regulator on my S-170 with a Keleo ring at the stock location with disappointing results.I think it has to be closer to one of the exhaust exits.It was only a test on a rebuilt S-170 that had a new jug and piston so that may have been a factor.Also it was last April in cold temps so your results may vary.I had a 170 in a TF Stinson at 20lbs and it flew well.Also it didn't have a Cline regulator just pressure.A good onboard glo system is also a must.Geez think I might get one of these.. thanks for the pics Apalset..
Old 11-02-2006, 08:13 PM
COL J

Thanks. I guess he builds these when you order. Wondering if it would help to have him add a pressure port close to each exhaust stack as they exit the ring. And then tee the two ports together. But you said you had no problems with just running the pressure from the origianl Keleo port to the tank. So, maybe we don't need to fuss with a pump.
ORIGINAL: SteveD-RCU

I tried a Cline regulator on my S-170 with a Keleo ring at the stock location with disappointing results.I think it has to be closer to one of the exhaust exits.It was only a test on a rebuilt S-170 that had a new jug and piston so that may have been a factor.Also it was last April in cold temps so your results may vary.I had a 170 in a TF Stinson at 20lbs and it flew well.Also it didn't have a Cline regulator just pressure.A good onboard glo system is also a must.Geez think I might get one of these.. thanks for the pics Apalset..
Old 11-03-2006, 05:44 AM
apalset

Center of the carb is in center of the hole in the firewall so I don´t think it will be a problem with the location of the tank.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...8&I=LXCJD7&P=K
Is this one usable for onboard glow? I haven´t found any cheap for 3 cylinders.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:06 AM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could make an onboard system or spend about 70 bucks for one.http://www.electrodynam.com/cgi-loca...166+1144185057
Old 11-03-2006, 09:10 AM
JKEpps
My Feedback: (1)

Well, LHS had a Staggerwing sitting on the shelf. I was able to resist it last week, but not this week. I put it on layaway, and will have it as my Christmas present to myself. As for engine choice, that Saito 170 absolutely looks beautiful. I'm leaning in that direction. We'll see what the wallet will allow. Now however, I'm wondering about the wing alignment issue. I won't stress over it if my plane has the same issue. I'll probably just repair it, dunno, may even get them replaced, we'll see.

Jorden
Old 11-03-2006, 10:32 AM
N215PB

I got mine when they 1st shipped from Tower. I wasn't planning on building it to at least next summer or fall till I clear my current projects. With all the wings issues I called TF and got a new set of lower wings. When asked about replacement down the road like next year they kinda said probably not. With that in mind I'll sure NEVER order the 1st year of production. I see in the previous posts some photos one of you had and they replaced the whole kit. I'm really nervious about running into this when I build it. Saw the same with the GP Stearman, I ordered one back and got it in MAY 06, still in the box, was planning this winter or spring to build. I looked at some forums and saw they had all sorts of quality issues on it. Hell, I never really did much other then open the lid, now I'm worried about warrenty stuff, I guess thats the current state of affairs in Chinesse ARF production. I did buy a Hangar 9 ARF Sopwith, it was only missing small parts which they shipped ASAP, I have DP Super CUB on backorder and am afraid of that quaility, oh well, maybe the Hangar9 is a sign they are getting it right.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:28 AM
bluestratos

Good news and bad news... got my staggerwing today from Tower, but it came damaged.. cowl is badly cracked in two places, and the fuse has a crack at the tail cone and the inner former and pushrods were broken off. Tower is taking care of and I can't have the plane until Christmas anyways, lol...
So with out reading all the posts, what is a good power plant that will fit inside of the cowl. I seen the tree cylinder Saito, but what about a gaser..I like lots of power so the bigger the better. I also have a 180 Saito single cylinder that is waiting on a project, but not sure that is enough power.. what do you think?

Best regards,
Randy
Old 11-03-2006, 11:53 AM
COL J

I have actually had very good luck with the ARFs that I have bought. I beleive one of the best so far was the E-Flight J-3 Cub I just put together. Everything on it was absolutley perfect. Top Flite will get this all straightened out. Like I said before, I am not in any hurry now that we had our first snow storm yesterday.

I have a 1.80 inverted in my World Models P-51 and it provides plenty of power. The P-51 by the time I finished it was about 17.5 lbs. I am going to use the 1.70 Radial in the Staggerwing and I think it will be sufficient.

I will be interested to see Dick Pettit's report on the OS FT 1.60. That opposed twin ought to be a real smooth running engine with plenty of power. There are so many choices out there.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:35 PM
N215PB

I bought the OS 160 2 cycle combo deal just because that is what TF has in the instructions, figure I outta stand a chance of making it fit. What about 1st flights, didn't someone on here do a 1st flight......let's have all the details on her. My biggest fear is she'll tend to nose over with the gear doors.
Does anyone know if Ramon torres sells any of his Beechcraft models he flys at TOP GUN, I searched high and low for a site, he has some real nice Beech models, the Baron is the latest. I have a Ziroli Kit Cutters Staggerwing as well as a C-45/D-18 twin Beech, I think the TF is scale to the Beech 18, I bet they would look real nice sitting next to each other. I'm thinking they are 1/5 scale.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:42 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone else gotten to the balancing part yet?

According to the manual, the balance point is 5 1/2" behind the lower wing leading edge, measured at the fuselage.

If I'm looking at the diagram, that point is at the leading edge, at the part of the fuselage that is also the wing root.

It's not the front of the huge wing to fuselage fairing.

I sure hope so, because it balanced just fine where I think the CG is supposed to be located.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Navy_Flyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct - use the wing root. The wing chord straight anyway (not tapered), so the measurement at the root a few inches lateral from the fuse is good enough. What they are trying to avoid is someone measuring 5-1/2" back from the wingtip, which is rounded, and would pose problems with consistent measurements - and would put the CG too far aft.

On the Byron, the CG is 1-1/2" back from the leading edge of the top wing. How does it compare to the TF CG when transferred to the top wing?
Old 11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
pettit

Thanks.

I'll put it all together, level it and measure over the weekend.

It seems that it looked close to that dimension.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:32 PM
GaGeeBees

Tested the fit of my wings today and they're a perfect fit. Leading and trailing edges line up beautifully

Picked up the new Saito 1.70GK yesterday. Just a few more odds & ends needed (on-board glow, scale wheels, Keleo exhaust, etc) and I'll be in business.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:38 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Apalset,
I noticed in your pictures of the engine mounted, you have a washer/space on one of the engine mounting lugs. Is this for adding more right thrust or to get the prop to clear the cowl on the left side of the plane? Just curious. Looks like a great combo, can't wait to hear how well it flies, keep us informed.

Russ
Old 11-06-2006, 07:06 AM
pettit

With the fuselage level, the CG point lines up with bteween 1/2" and 1" behind the leading edge of the TOP wing.

Hard to hold it there on one fingertip!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:38 AM
bluestratos

Could I trouble someone to measure the diameter of their wheels (fronts), I am waiting to receive my replacement plane as the original was damaged in shipping. I recall seeing the foam tires they supplied and want to see if there is something a bit better looking out there.
Regards,
Randy
Old 11-06-2006, 12:41 PM
COL J

I measure the front wheels at 3 7/8".
Old 11-06-2006, 01:10 PM
bluestratos

Thanks, I assum a set of 4" will work then.. I have a nice set of 4" with alum hubs at home now! lol...

Best regards,
Randy
Old 11-06-2006, 01:16 PM
pettit

I think 4" wheels will fit, but they may be too wide for the Robart retract legs.

Those foam wheels are quite narrow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.