Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Staggerwing

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite Staggerwing

Old 06-12-2006, 09:22 PM
mobyal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

Got the retracts in and they're really a nice piece of work. BUT all that's in there is the main gear, no lines, tank, valve(s) etc, so you'll also need to order the Robart Air Pack VRX157. Tower didn't know what was supposed to be in there, so I called Robart and spoke w/ Gary. That's what he told me I needed. It's on the way. Sure will be glad when the kit gets here....

mobyal

Just checked w/ Tower on the status of my backorder. They said "late June" for release and shipping. The Robart retracts are available now, though, so I went ahead and ordered a set. Will be here next week. I saw the retracts at Toledo, and they are a real piece of work.
Can't wait for everything to get here.
Al
[/quote]
Old 06-19-2006, 01:12 AM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

I see Tower is now saying the TF Staggerwing is going to ship later and not until "Mid August". Bummer
Old 06-19-2006, 06:03 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad, but still works fine for me. I have the Giant Aeromaster and the Giant Super Sportster to build before then.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:05 PM
damifino

Mr. Pettit, I know this is off thread but what are you going to use for power in the Giant Aeromaster? And can the plane be bought when you are done with it?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:50 AM
pettit

Since I am reviewing the plane for R/C REPORT, I will have to use the engine that Great Planes wants me to use.

In that case, it'll probably be a Fuji 43, a really good engine, but not as powerful as a G-62.

But it's at least 2 pounds lighter too.

The other question's answer is "probably"
Old 06-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: mobyal

Got the retracts in and they're really a nice piece of work. BUT all that's in there is the main gear, no lines, tank, valve(s) etc, so you'll also need to order the Robart Air Pack VRX157. Tower didn't know what was supposed to be in there, so I called Robart and spoke w/ Gary. That's what he told me I needed. It's on the way. Sure will be glad when the kit gets here....

Have you looked at the plans for the full sized Staggerwing? The Retract setup is dirt simple. A winch servo and a couple spools and you would be in business. I am guessing it would be a lot more realistic wheels up and down also

I got the bug last year to build a steel frame Staggerwing and use a 1/6 scale P&W Wasp Jr to power it. My 1/6 scale plane was going to be to heavy with the 1/6th engine, but the Top Flite is a 72" span, and that would be around 1/5 scale so the Wasp Jr may work. Fully loaded with spark ignition and starter, it weighs about 8 lbs. I think I would go with Glow and no starter. That should bring the weight down to around four or five lbs. Man, I've got to start cutting metal.

Don

Old 06-22-2006, 05:31 AM
damifino

Campgems- How about some pictures of your engine?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:23 PM
raw191
My Feedback: (18)

Check out this link. It shows and tells a little more about it. I'm going to try and put a G-32 that weighs the same as a g-28 in mine. I just need to liquidate some planes. . . . http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../topa0905.html
Old 07-05-2006, 06:00 AM
pettit

Most of us have never heard of a G-32 or a G-28.

I suppose you mean a G-26 and a G-38, right?
Old 07-05-2006, 05:37 PM
raw191
My Feedback: (18)

Yeah. Sorry new to gassers. I got a g38 and sent it to my engine guy. That was several months ago so I've forgotten what it looked like!!

rw
Old 07-06-2006, 09:34 PM
Dart373
My Feedback: (2)

Are they available yet? mmmmmmm, they look great!
Old 07-07-2006, 05:55 AM
pettit

Tower web site still says mid-August
Old 07-08-2006, 01:22 PM
John_RedSox
My Feedback: (75)

When the plane finally arrives at my LHS, I plan to use the twin 160. Should be a good setup.

JJC
Old 07-12-2006, 02:21 PM
gregplv

There are great photos on the top flite web site. The Staggerwing is prominently shown on their home page.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: damifino

Campgems- How about some pictures of your engine?
I don't have the engine even started yet, still converting the drawings to CAD files. However, here are some photos of the designer's engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92460.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	490757  
Old 07-18-2006, 02:49 AM
fgpierce

Hi guys

I'm getting a stagger myself! I'm selling a few of my planes now. I've got 2 sold. When that beauty is released I'm at the door! I'd like to see a manual for it. Any hints on the firewall cowl length measurement. I have a RCS 180se front carb I'd love to install in that awesome nose
Sorry to stray here but I have to ask campgem. Is that a functional pitch control on that hub or a dummy? What a beautiful engine! What would that go for 4-5000?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:27 AM
fgpierce

Well.... I decided to bite the bullet and paid for mine . I just couldn't stand the thought of having to wait till the "next shipment" when I was ready to buy it.

mobyal :
Can you tell me if the struts come with the retracts? Do you have any info on the retractable tail wheel? Gary at Robart wrote me that: 'Robart has not manufactured a special tail wheel for the Staggerwing. Our #160 is too large for that plane and the #121 is too small. You'll have to try and get an answer from Tower."

Have you received any answers? If so what?
Thanks
fgpierce
Old 07-20-2006, 06:17 AM
mobyal

FG --
The retracts are complete. Struts and all. They're very scale-looking w/ coil springs around the struts and the forked axles. Also include the rear brace. But as I said in my post above, you'll need all the "support" stuff. Air tank, lines, valves etc. My previous post identified the item number -- can't get to it right now or I'd identify it again -- and it'll give you everything you'll need except for the air pump. Gary gave me the same info on the tail wheel and I doubt anyone else makes a suitable one right now. I'm gonna wait to see what the one in the kit looks like to decide what to do. Maybe if there's enough demand Robart, or someone else, will produce a retract tail gear.
Sure will be glad when the kit's released....
Al

ORIGINAL: fgpierce

Well.... I decided to bite the bullet and paid for mine . I just couldn't stand the thought of having to wait till the "next shipment" when I was ready to buy it.

mobyal :
Can you tell me if the struts come with the retracts? Do you have any info on the retractable tail wheel? Gary at Robart wrote me that: 'Robart has not manufactured a special tail wheel for the Staggerwing. Our #160 is too large for that plane and the #121 is too small. You'll have to try and get an answer from Tower."

Have you received any answers? If so what?
Thanks
fgpierce
Old 07-21-2006, 02:57 AM
fgpierce

Hey mobyal

Thanks for the news on the struts. Now I know I won't have to track them down!

I hope something turns up for the tail wheel! It would be a shame to not be retractable

Looking forward to seeing it first hand myself!

Old 07-21-2006, 11:32 AM
COL J

Boy, what a beauty, just ordered one from my LHS. The Saito 170 Radial looks like a perfect match for this one. Does anyone know what the Cowl dimensions and space inside are? It might be little too much engine for it. But, a Staggerwing shuld have a radial in it, right?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Whistling Death

I have a G-38 sitting without a plane. I wonder if this plane can handle this engine? I also have a G-23, maybe this is the right engine.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:13 PM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: Tall Texan

Boy, what a beauty, just ordered one from my LHS. The Saito 170 Radial looks like a perfect match for this one. Does anyone know what the Cowl dimensions and space inside are? It might be little too much engine for it. But, a Staggerwing shuld have a radial in it, right?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:54 PM
mobyal

Oops. Sorry about the post above -- or lack of one.
Of course no one has actually got one of the kits to see what will fit under the cowl, but the Great Planes reps at Toldeo did say to several of us that there's not a whole lot of room in there. The prototype had an OS 160, and they said that's about as large as you can go w/o cutting up the cowl. I guess when we get the kits we'll know for sure.
Al

ORIGINAL: BBOwen

I have a G-38 sitting without a plane. I wonder if this plane can handle this engine? I also have a G-23, maybe this is the right engine.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:25 AM
fgpierce

I guess we have to watch out for dumb thumbs heere as welll! LOL

I recieved my Staggerwing retracts already from Tower today. Now I know I've got mine!! Robart said they shipped the entire production run to Tower! The gear is very nicley done. What else would be expected from Robart? I can't wait to see what they'll install into!

There are going to be a lot of unanswered questions on this beauty. I'm only guessing on the cowl but I think the plug may extend outside the cowl on gassers like the RCS 180se and G-23. Maybe the glow G-23 would fit better but again it's only guessing. Is it posible to find out how much clearence the OS 160 has in the cowl and maybe the dimentions of the engine? We might get an idea from there.

Stay cool at the field guys!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:16 AM
John_RedSox
My Feedback: (75)

I have talked to Top Flite and received the cowl dimensions.

The distance from the firewall to the front of the drive washer needs
to be 6". There may be a 1/4" tolerence forward or back if needed.
The
inside cowl diameter is 8-1/2" at its smallest diameter (close to the
front of the cowl ring) and 9" at the widest.

John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.