ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite Staggerwing

Reply
Old 11-12-2011, 10:18 AM
  #1651
sbrackets
 
sbrackets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 322
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

Hey Guys

What about the engine thrust angle? I'm getting close to mounting the engine and noticed that this plane has zero thrust angle built into the firewall. Is this not a problem? Most all of my planes have some degree of thrust angle built into the design.
I read through the manual and no word about it. Talk to me Goose!

Jim
sbrackets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:27 AM
  #1652
knucklebutt
 
knucklebutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 375
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

No thrust angle: Just a lot "O" rudder work. Actually I have no consistent "left" pull as do most. Sometimes it pulls to the right other times to the left. Same with landing , just be ready on that ole rudder



Denis
knucklebutt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:33 AM
  #1653
sbrackets
 
sbrackets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 322
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

THANKS!!!! hehehe
sbrackets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:22 AM
  #1654
kochj
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Victoria, MN
Posts: 3,927
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing


[quote]ORIGINAL: mobyal


Quote:
ORIGINAL: mobyal

I have two complete S'wings that I'm thinking of selling.



I need to clarify something. Neither has been completed, so they're essentially brand nePic
.


Looks like you have two of everything...

You dont happen to have two wives as well?
kochj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 PM
  #1655
mobyal
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lexington, VA
Posts: 1,556
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing


[quote]ORIGINAL: kochj


Quote:
ORIGINAL: mobyal


Quote:
ORIGINAL: mobyal

I have two complete S'wings that I'm thinking of selling.



I need to clarify something. Neither has been completed, so they're essentially brand nePic
.


Looks like you have two of everything...

You dont happen to have two wives as well?


Nope. One of those is quite enough, thank you.
mobyal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:11 AM
  #1656
rowdog_14
 
rowdog_14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austell, GA
Posts: 723
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

Well I purchased some new fixed landing gear from tower hobbies because I thought that was the problem with the plane leaning on taxing and landing. Come to find out the landing gear are not flexing that much it is the actual tires that are rolling over the rim causing the plane to lean really bad on taxing and landing. I purchased the Dubro threaded lightweight tires. What tires are you all using because I have to get another set before I start flying this plane again, because if I do not I will not have any flaps or lower wing tips anymore
rowdog_14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:47 AM
  #1657
knucklebutt
 
knucklebutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 375
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

I changed from those crummy foam crappy wheels to the Du-Bro shown in this link

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD783&P=SM


these are the 4" I dont remember the correct size:

first you need a rather "Thin" tire to fit in the retracts, as well as the wheel wells (I know you dont have retracts)
also these are rather "stiff" to support a 20Lb airplane

I also have drilled out the axle hole to fit 3/8 X 3/16 ball bearings as I HATE wobbly wheels, which happens fast with a steel axle on a plastic wheel hub

Denis
knucklebutt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 AM
  #1658
mobyal
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lexington, VA
Posts: 1,556
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing


Quote:
ORIGINAL: rowdog_14

Well I purchased some new fixed landing gear from tower hobbies because I thought that was the problem with the plane leaning on taxing and landing. Come to find out the landing gear are not flexing that much it is the actual tires that are rolling over the rim causing the plane to lean really bad on taxing and landing. I purchased the Dubro threaded lightweight tires. What tires are you all using because I have to get another set before I start flying this plane again, because if I do not I will not have any flaps or lower wing tips anymore

Rowdog
I have both the kit fixed gear and the kit wheels. If you want them, drop me an Email w/ an address and I'll send them off to you.
Al
mobyal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 PM
  #1659
rowdog_14
 
rowdog_14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austell, GA
Posts: 723
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

Quote:
ORIGINAL: knucklebutt

I changed from those crummy foam crappy wheels to the Du-Bro shown in this link

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD783&P=SM


these are the 4'' I dont remember the correct size:

first you need a rather ''Thin'' tire to fit in the retracts, as well as the wheel wells (I know you dont have retracts)
also these are rather ''stiff'' to support a 20Lb airplane

I also have drilled out the axle hole to fit 3/8 X 3/16 ball bearings as I HATE wobbly wheels, which happens fast with a steel axle on a plastic wheel hub

Denis
Those are the exact ones I have. It must be the combination of the fixed gear and the wheels causing the plane to lean under the weight when taxing and landing. MANN I have to get those retracts

rowdog_14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:51 PM
  #1660
sbrackets
 
sbrackets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 322
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

Hey Guys. I need your HELP on this. I just finished replacing the plywood in the forward compartment for the fuel tank and battery. Now I read on page 30 Paragraph #2 where it talks about removing the plywood and relocating the tank to the bottom of the fuselage and drilling new holes for the fuel line. The manual mentions the term UP-DRAFT CARBURETOR.Did you guys have to do this? I am using a Super Tigre S-2000 glow engine side mounted. I sure hope I don't have to do this after all the work I just did.

Since I'm mounting my engine with the engine head to the side, wouldn't that be concidered side draft? Not UP DRAFT.

Please advise.

Thanks, Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53734.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1690735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23340.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1690736  
sbrackets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:27 PM
  #1661
skipb
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: , SC
Posts: 88
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

Isn't this where the mod is for using the 160 twin? On it the carb sits very low and the fuel tank does have to be moved to the bottom of the fuselage so it won't siphon fuel out.

Skipb
skipb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:35 PM
  #1662
sbrackets
 
sbrackets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 322
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

Hey Skip
Well, the manual doesn't really say which type of engine this mod is for. And I'm not really up on the term up-draft. But to me it means the direction of the air flow into the carb. Am I correct? IF so then in my case I have a side draft carb. and I'm ok with leaving my plywood floor and fuel tank in place.


Jim
sbrackets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:20 PM
  #1663
skipb
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: , SC
Posts: 88
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

Jim-

You are correct, leave the fuel tank as it is. It will work fine. The manual does mention this mod for the 160 twin on that page.

Skip
skipb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:59 PM
  #1664
sbrackets
 
sbrackets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 322
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

OK thanks, See it, was reading more into it then I should I guess. It had me worried.

Thanks, Jim
sbrackets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 PM
  #1665
rowdog_14
 
rowdog_14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austell, GA
Posts: 723
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

what cc is the super tigre s2000, I have a super tigre G-2300 and it is a 1.40 23cc.
rowdog_14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:12 AM
  #1666
sbrackets
 
sbrackets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 322
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

Hey Rowdog

I guess you were asking me? Well my ST-2000/25 engine is 25cc. Looks like there were two version of this engine. S-2000 @ 23cc, and the S-2000/25 @25cc. The differenct is where the head meets the cyclinder on the S-2000/25 there is a larger gap between the cooling fins. That's how you can tell between the two models.

I ran up the engine for the first time on Friday at the club field and she runs great. perfect idle, and no burping between low and high. I'm using Cool Power Green 10% fuel, and a "NEW" McCoy #8 long plug.

Jim
sbrackets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:12 PM
  #1667
Glasair2
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sun City West, AZ
Posts: 58
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

The ST 2000 is a .120, the 2300 is a 23cc, 2500 is a 1.50, 3000 is a 1.8, 3250 is 1.98. Difference isn't head gap, 2K and 2500 same motor, different bore and cylinder, a 2500 is in a 2K case, a 2500 is identified by a 2.5 stamped on the side of the left mounting ear of the case where the engine bolts to the mount if using a beam mount. Carbs vary by age of engine. A 7D OS carb works good on them as does an OS "F" plug and 10/10 fuel....

Glasair2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:17 PM
  #1668
rowdog_14
 
rowdog_14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austell, GA
Posts: 723
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing


Quote:
ORIGINAL: sbrackets

Hey Rowdog

I guess you were asking me? Well my ST-2000/25 engine is 25cc. Looks like there were two version of this engine. S-2000 @ 23cc, and the S-2000/25 @25cc. The differenct is where the head meets the cyclinder on the S-2000/25 there is a larger gap between the cooling fins. That's how you can tell between the two models.

I ran up the engine for the first time on Friday at the club field and she runs great. perfect idle, and no burping between low and high. I'm using Cool Power Green 10% fuel, and a ''NEW'' McCoy #8 long plug.

Jim
Well when you fly the Staggerwing with the s2000 please record it and post it, because I wanted to put the super tigre 2300 in mine put had doubts about it.
rowdog_14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:07 PM
  #1669
sbrackets
 
sbrackets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 322
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

Will do Rowdog
But also let me mention to you the my ST S-2000 engine is working well with a O.S carburetor. My S/W came with this engine attached. I really don't care for Super Tigre engines sine the last G-2300 on my 80' Mustang ran so rich that it flamed out on turn one and crashed out in the field. I had just added a Perry carb. to the engine to stop the flooding issue that I had with the stock carb. But it didn't do any better with the Perry carb. The engine had been mounted inverted, and it did have on-board glow and it was working at the time of the crash.

I'm hoping this time around things will be better with this S/T engine. Only time will tell!!!

P.S The Mustang is repaired, and have a O.S 1.60 going back in her.

Jim
sbrackets is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:40 AM
  #1670
rowdog_14
 
rowdog_14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austell, GA
Posts: 723
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing


Quote:
ORIGINAL: sbrackets

Will do Rowdog
But also let me mention to you the my ST S-2000 engine is working well with a O.S carburetor. My S/W came with this engine attached. I really don't care for Super Tigre engines sine the last G-2300 on my 80' Mustang ran so rich that it flamed out on turn one and crashed out in the field. I had just added a Perry carb. to the engine to stop the flooding issue that I had with the stock carb. But it didn't do any better with the Perry carb. The engine had been mounted inverted, and it did have on-board glow and it was working at the time of the crash.

I'm hoping this time around things will be better with this S/T engine. Only time will tell!!!

P.S The Mustang is repaired, and have a O.S 1.60 going back in her.

Jim
Are you user sbrackets on youtube too. I am user KLMELJ (that is the only account I did not carry over rowdog_14 ) I actually talked to you on youtube about your WM p-51. I am have a OS 160 in my Staggerwing now, but if your Super Tigre pulls this staggerwing good then I might change the plane that I want to put the Supertigre 2300 in. Right now I have my eyes set on an Seagull GeeBee Z.
rowdog_14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:23 PM
  #1671
Joel_L
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CO, CO
Posts: 32
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

Hi,

I just ( last weekend ) got a hold of an unbuilt Staggerwing. I'm thinking of getting an EVO E735 to put into it. any thoughts for or against this engine?

Thanks

Joel
Joel_L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 AM
  #1672
rowdog_14
 
rowdog_14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Austell, GA
Posts: 723
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

With my OS 160 FX and the added weight to the nose I come out to about the weight of that EVO 35cc 7Cylinder. I think it will be nice, you just need to see how big it is diameter wise. If you do go that route please make a video!!!!!!!!!!!!
rowdog_14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:10 PM
  #1673
Joel_L
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CO, CO
Posts: 32
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

Size wise, the evo 7-35 fits fine. I'm more concerned about it having enough power to adequately fly the plane. It seems to line up prop size wise with the OS 1.60 and other similar engines. The spec'd RPM is somewhat lower on the evo. I'm don't know how fast the evo actually turns say an 18x8 compared to the OS. I really hope the evo does work out, I think it would be slick on the staggerwing.

Joel
Joel_L is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:06 PM
  #1674
kochj
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Victoria, MN
Posts: 3,927
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

guys flew this plane on a 170 3-cyl saito ....
There is a video of it on utube...
kochj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 AM
  #1675
GaGeeBees
 
GaGeeBees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fayetteville, GA
Posts: 1,413
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing


Quote:
ORIGINAL: kochj

guys flew this plane on a 170 3-cyl saito ....
There is a video of it on utube...
I flew mine for two years with a Saito 1.70 radial. It was marginal for our field's 300' grass runway. Takeoff was always scary. It would have probably been fine on asphalt. I put the 1.70 on a Pacific Aeromodels clipped wing Monocoupe and installed an Enya 2.40 v-twin in the Staggerwing and it got to be a whole lot more fun to fly.
GaGeeBees is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:01 AM.