Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Staggerwing

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite Staggerwing

Old 06-25-2014, 07:53 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine set up with the plastic Robart tailwheel and servo operated just like the instructions show and haven't had any issues?! I have several hundred flights on my Stagg as I got it when they first came out. The actuation arm DID bend, but it still worked perfectly. Maybe because I used the servo speed function on my transmitter and slowed it's action way down?
Old 07-05-2014, 05:53 PM
WheatStateHobbies
My Feedback: (1)

Hello all, well yesterday I maiden my Stag! It's been on display in my store for just over a year now, so I think it was fitting that it took to the skies for the first time on Independence Day! I can't remember any plane(s) of mine or friends that I was so nervous during the maiden flight! Anyway we (my crew chief and I) learned a few things about this plane yesterday. First it needs a little more turning authority on the ground especially if there is a wind on the field, it turned right ok, but took a lot of space to turn left when heading into the wind. Second the stock landing gear seems to be on the week side. Granted my first landing was not perfect, I had around a 10 or so knot crosswind that was made very "bumpy" from the trees it was blowing over and I hit a small "pocket" right before touchdown that cause a small bump & drop. In one way it was kinda cool because both door pants came off at the exact same time just like as if they were "jettison" when it landed in the grass just off of the runway! Anyway the gear bent both in a little and forward a little. A lot more than we think they should have with the kind of landing it was. Another thing that I learn especially is that it doesn't take much to drag a wing on this aircraft! So needless to say I have some "road rash" to fix. I'm going to add some additional balsa between the second and third ribs from the ends of the lower wings and and skids, that way they take the abuse and not my wing! It's powered by a Saito 182t, HS 645mg all the way around (except throttle), remote fuel shot off, on board glow, dual AR8000 rcvrs, we have the elevator split and and I have "half" the plane on each rcvr so that if one goes out I still have flying control! We did use the "cargo" door outline for the battery switches, talk about a slick way to do that! You can see short clips of the only two flights today on my facebook page: www.facebook.com\wheatstatehobbies. I will be posting up to youtube once I edit the videos! Any suggestions on the gear would be great!

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-06-2014, 11:39 AM
mikmerl

Bill looks like you had a great first day with your Beechcraft model

I acquired this Staggerwing a few days from a fellow who had only flown it a couple of times. It is complete with the Robart retracts and a Chinese 52cc twin cyl gas engine (and a ton of servos)

The model is in great shape except for the cowl that has some holes cut (hacked) out of it to accommodate the sparkplugs of the twin and necessary cooling outlets.

I will give the model a meticulous going over and will change a number of things simply to do them in my way.

I am also contemplating yanking the twin and installing a 45cc single cylinder. This will allow me to repair the holes in the cowl.

This thread is really a wealth of info for this particular bird thanks to all those that shared their knowledge and experiences.

The only items I am missing are the two lower wheel well covers and the wire actuators. If anybody has these that they do need I would gladly pay for them.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0196.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	386.8 KB
ID:	2012138   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140613_141004_resized_1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	2012139   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0081.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	2012140   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0186.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	2012141   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0191.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	2012142  
Old 07-07-2014, 01:22 PM
WheatStateHobbies

Originally Posted by Prop_Washer2
What would a New in Box TF Staggerwing ARF be worth..??
That would depend on your location, up here in the Wichita KS area you would be lucky to get $200-$300 out of it!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:39 PM
dpw

Default TF Staggerwing

My Top Flite Staggerwing was purchased at an RC estate auction in Illinois about 2 months ago. The plane was about 95% completed, it came with OS160FS 4 cycle twin engine and all but one servo. Thanks to all who posted to this thread for the suggestions on setting up this plane. The plane was balanced using a Vanessa CG Machine (see http://home.mindspring.com/~the-plumber/Vanessa%20CG%20Machine.htm) and required 24 oz of Pb which was attached to the engine standoffs. The radio was setup per the manual. The first flight (and next two) went very well, the plane lifted off nicely and required just a few clicks of up and right trim. Full flaps were used for landing. I used an on board glow system for a 3 cyl engine, used 2 for the glow plugs and the 3rd to light a low voltage LED (green) to tell when the plugs were getting voltage

Sorry about the poor video quality but we are new to the video part of this.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=9G_BQrmd0-4

Name:	DSCF0920.JPG
Views:	644
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	2015665  
Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 AM
badazzgti03
My Feedback: (4)

I'm still trying to figure out the tailwheel with the doors...retraction works good but Its getting stuck on the door when extended with the aluminum arm that hold the doors open. But on the good side I got my Saito 200R3 converted to gas by CH ignition. Already have it mounted to the staggerwing and looks great! Here is a vid of it that Adrian posted at CH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH4qacI82sE
Old 11-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Iceman 29

Some pics of my Stag, flying since many years now (2008). My engine is a Saito 182, a real great engine, reliable, discrete, with pump and an automatic glow heater. Sound is really great.

what a pity that TF stopped the production of this real and rare beautiful kit..

Last edited by Iceman 29; 11-08-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:38 AM
roadtrip

Very nice! What are you using to secure the cowl? I have been trying to find something like spring loaded rivets such as what is used on real aircraft access panels, but nothing small enough for this application.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Iceman 29

I use "grip nut", glue with epoxy inside the fuselage when it's possible, when you built your plane.

Otherwise for ma Bearcat ESM, I use this type of nut, for wall mounting. Not so light weight, but it's forward, so.. Less weight to put in the noze to balance the plane!

And this "nut molly type" is very interessting because you can install it without dismantle anything if you have cowl fitting problem.

Name:	313184-une-cheville-molly.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	2045912   Click image for larger version

Name:	05138a.png
Views:	526
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	2045913  
Old 11-09-2014, 05:23 PM
roadtrip

Thanks Iceman 29. I think I'll try the "nut molly type." Hopefully I'll be able to get them in as I can't get inside the nose anymore. I see you live in France. My wife and I lived in Germany and Italy for 17 years and finally had to move to the USA if I wanted to keep my cushion job. Sure wish we still there!
Old 11-09-2014, 07:41 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roadtrip
Very nice! What are you using to secure the cowl? I have been trying to find something like spring loaded rivets such as what is used on real aircraft access panels, but nothing small enough for this application.
If you look really close at his picture you can see slotted screws such as the one the arrow points to in the included pic. At least it appears to be.

Name:	modlis10.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	2046183  

Last edited by acerc; 11-09-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:41 AM
Iceman 29

Yes, for this one, it's nylon screws painted in red.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:56 AM
Iceman 29

Originally Posted by roadtrip
Thanks Iceman 29. I think I'll try the "nut molly type." Hopefully I'll be able to get them in as I can't get inside the nose anymore. I see you live in France. My wife and I lived in Germany and Italy for 17 years and finally had to move to the USA if I wanted to keep my cushion job. Sure wish we still there!
Your welcome.

Yes, i live in north west of France (Brittany). http://baiedemorlaix.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/ilelouetpano.png

For molly, the problem is the diam of the screw (Diam 4 mm minimum, M4) So, it's a little bit bigger than a normal screw used for this purpose. An allen (button) screw can reduce the size of the head.

Name:	600ae3a5-7b11-714c-c4f6-16779e6ffeb9.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2046604  
Old 02-08-2015, 09:49 PM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

So, after years of waiting for a giant scale Staggerwing, would you believe I scored both the Topflite and the Byron Original inside of 2 weeks! The Bryon is the complete unbuilt kit w/retracts and the Topflite was started, but abandoned after building the wings and installing the main retracts.

I've triaged the TF kit and noticed a couple of missing parts that I hope someone can help with. Most importantly, the gear door actuator wires for the main and tail are missing, as is the cabin floor, dummy radial and the tail wheel retract mounting brace.

Anyone aware of a source for these parts? Especially the actuator wires and tail wheel mount.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-09-2015, 03:21 AM
handyman 220
My Feedback: (54)

Very nice find. I do not know a source for the landing gear or tailgear wires either. I also scored a RTF TF Staggerwing myself a couple months ago. It was also lacking the lower main gear doors and no retractable tail wheel. I could use the Robart retractable tail unit recommended but I'll probably just fly it the way it is for now.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:48 AM
marksp

Right on!

My kit included the installed main retracts, but no tail wheel at all and no gear door actuators. For the mains, I'll probably go with just the main gear covers and no gear door flaps as I fly off grass exclusively. For the tail wheel, I'll order the tail wheel retract and hope to find the mounting brace. If I get lucky, hopefully someone with a TF Stagg can share pics of the door actuator wires and I'll fab up.

What engine are you going with?

Cheers
Old 02-09-2015, 06:35 AM
handyman 220

It has a Roto 35 already installed. Here is a link to the sales ad. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2258050 I couldn't pass on it, I had a new in box ARF that I sold a few years ago and regretted it shortly there after. I was very happy to find one in great shape and close enough to drive to pick it up. I was also lucky that it has a brand new cowl still in the box as a spare.

Last edited by handyman 220; 02-09-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:46 AM
marksp

Right on!

I saw and lusted after your plane! Great score!

Cheers
Old 02-09-2015, 09:37 AM
handyman 220

They are getting very hard to find! Glad you found one also, actually two great finds!!
Old 02-09-2015, 02:08 PM
badazzgti03
My Feedback: (4)

MarkSP
The actuator wires you are going to have to fab up yourself..I had to on mine since I purchased from a previous member that did not have them. But if you are flying from a grass field I would not even bother as they would get destroyed but your choice.I still may have the plans on the fab wires. The radial I tried to look for one my self count not find one. Spare parts on this thing are getting more and more hard to find..Its better to just fab the parts out.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:22 PM
marksp

Roger that, thanks.

With regards to the main gear door flaps, I agree, on grass they'd rip off sooner or later. I should still be able to run the covers over the mains without the flap part or the actuating wire to open.

On the tail wheel, I was hoping to install the tail wheel retract with working doors. Perhaps off grass, these doors may create a problem as well?

If this is true, then all I'm lacking is the tail wheel mounting brace and as near as I can tell, that part doesn't have a discrete part # to search online for???
Old 02-09-2015, 02:24 PM
marksp

BTW - I happen to have the Hangar 9 DHC-2 Beaver 30cc and related spare parts so I tried my extra dummy radial (HAN454514) in the TF Stagg cowl - fits perfect!

Old 02-09-2015, 02:26 PM
handyman 220

In my opinion unless you fly from a paved or similar runway you will eventually rip off the tail gear doors. There is very little clearance between them and the ground.

That radial looks like it was meant to be there.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:14 AM
njmheli

Originally Posted by marksp
So, after years of waiting for a giant scale Staggerwing, would you believe I scored both the Topflite and the Byron Original inside of 2 weeks! The Bryon is the complete unbuilt kit w/retracts and the Topflite was started, but abandoned after building the wings and installing the main retracts.

I've triaged the TF kit and noticed a couple of missing parts that I hope someone can help with. Most importantly, the gear door actuator wires for the main and tail are missing, as is the cabin floor, dummy radial and the tail wheel retract mounting brace.

Anyone aware of a source for these parts? Especially the actuator wires and tail wheel mount.

Thanks in advance!
Hi.

If you need to fabricate the wires,see my posts starting on page 73 post # 1810................

Kind regards..................Nick (UK).
Old 02-12-2015, 05:07 AM
marksp

Thank you! The pictures & drawings are really helpful!

BTW, I just noticed my kit did not come with the top wing securing screws. Can someone share size and/or part #?

Cheers

Last edited by marksp; 02-12-2015 at 05:18 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.