Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Staggerwing

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite Staggerwing

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:08 AM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

AHHHHHRRRHHh
I keep looking at this plane.... It just would look so nice to have one with a 170 radial in it!!
Diseased!!
geebees, how is yours flying!!! Must be nice!!

Justin
Old 11-09-2007, 10:01 AM
mobyal

Justin --
If you're interested in buying mine, NIB, plus the Robart retracts for it, send me a PM.
Al
Old 11-10-2007, 11:24 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: kochj

AHHHHHRRRHHh
I keep looking at this plane.... It just would look so nice to have one with a 170 radial in it!!
Diseased!!
geebees, how is yours flying!!! Must be nice!!

Justin
Flies great and sounds even better. Here's a very short clip of final approach and landing.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/4NDW2YY3D392N8Y8
Old 11-12-2007, 01:27 AM
kochj

Mobyal,
I would love purchase it from you, but it would end up sitting there till next season...
I have had such little time to put together the planes that I currently own, it is just dibilitating!
I look out in my garage and I just Cry!
I don't even have a plane ready to fly right now!

GeegeeBees,
Must be nice!
Thanks for sharing the video...\
Could you post some more?
What sofware did you use to convert the video over so you could post it?
Is there a information on this somewhere on this site?

Justin
Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 AM
bluestratos

I attached a couple of photos of the fire wall modification I made to allow the use of pitts muffler. The cowl complete hides this change. Dont worry, I added serious fire wall gussets to off set the area that was removed.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30963.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	802190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77145.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	802191  
Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

very nicley done Randy
Old 11-17-2007, 05:41 PM
dirtydingus

I test flew my Staggerwing today. I have the OS 160 fx in it and found it to be a great choice. My plan was to put a larger more powerful engine in it to help out with the needed weight in the nose. But when I got the plane done and balanced, It needed only 3 oz of nose lead. The plane flies beautifully! I mentioned in my last threads that I re-shaped my flaps to match the ailerons. That gave me a four aileron set- up with flaperons. It worked great. It gave the plane a real good, very axial roll. Big round loops with the staggerwing are phenominal, but the best part by far is the hi speed pass a foot off the deck with the gear up. The plane is rock solid. To keep the tail weight down I put the fixed tailwheel in and replaced those heavy elevator and rudder pushrods with the virtually weightless carbon fiber, that made a big difference when it came to the weight a balance. Overall, I found it to be a joy to fly. It is a bit squirrelly on pavement but manageable.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:46 PM
flaviosi

Hi, Randy.

What is it under the plywood? Is it the ignition?

Flavio
Old 11-18-2007, 09:33 PM
flaviosi

Guys,

I need your help.

I've just installed the retracts of my TF Staggerwing and when I fill the pump and move the valve away from the servo, the gears go down. Fine. But when I move the valve towards the servo, it looses pressure on the gauge and the retracts don't go up.

This is my first pneumatic retracts and I'm kinda lost. I understand that there's probably a leak, but I have a few questions:

1) When I move the valve towards the servo, to which barb I'm releasing air to?

2) what's is my best guess regarding a leak? Those small tees?

Thank you for any help!!

Flavio
Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 AM
bluestratos

Yes, the plywood is a ledge that sits on the 3/4" hardwood standoffs for the engine mount. The plywood shelf holds the ignition and the ignition battery which is secured with velcro.

Best regards,
Randy
Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
bluestratos

almost every leak I have had is from the control valve or the air canisters. The air cansiters leak around the point the the lid is seamed to the can, a bit of soap and water will tell you in a hurry.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 AM
flaviosi

Blue,

Problem solved. It was a major hole next to the retracts when I forced it into its place.

I have another issue too... I was going to install a Fuji 32 EI, but the firewall to prop-hub measurement of the Stagger is 6 inches and the engine requires about 2 more inches... I could adapt, with lots of work I'don't want to do...

I want to go gas and the question is: what engine should I use which will give me power and little or no installation issues?

Thanks for any advice!

Flavio
Old 11-19-2007, 11:16 AM
bluestratos

I know the fuji has a short hub extension but I dont think it will buy 2". The plane was designed around a 160 and guys report that it flies nice with that combo. My Brissen engine fit but the muffler was the problem. If you made a custom exhaust it may work as you actually have to space the Brissen engine ahead by about 1".

Regards,
Randy
Old 11-19-2007, 12:05 PM
flaviosi

Randy,

The problem with the Fuji is also the muffler. It goes on the back and requires at least 1 1/2 inch stand-offs. With 1 1/2 it stays stuck to the firewall.

I'm seriously considering buying the new Saito 220 Gas...

Brisson is a superb engine, but I think they're not selling it anymore, unfortunately.

Flavio
Old 12-06-2007, 01:40 PM
knucklebutt

Hay Gang: Just purchased the Staggerwing. Also bought the 160 FS. I know some of you have used this engine. I am a little confused as to the exhaust. Tower reccomends the "Flexable Tube. I have this and am not really sure how it is supposed to be set up. Any help or photos you your set up ?

Denis
Old 12-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Brett Horton
My Feedback: (17)

Hey guys I am selling my Staggerwing for other projects.
6 flights, Robarts, Hitech Digitals, FPE 35CC Gas, Fromeco's, Retract Tail wheel, etc.... Spare NIP Fuselage (original from TF had a few finger prints in the top of the turtle deck under the clear, no biggy, top flight offered to send me another fuslage so I said ok!) Ready to fly minus RCVR. Can provide as many pictures as you want.

Here is a link of me flying the Staggerwing:
http://www.flyingtigersrc.com/2007/0...031807bret.wmv

$1450 Or reasonable offer
Old 12-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Super Hot

knucklebutt

Look Keleo exhaust system

http://www.keleo-creations.com/Twins/OS.htm

JJM
Old 12-07-2007, 09:18 AM
knucklebutt

JJM

Hey thanks for that info: I actually have ordered the scale exhaust from Keleo for the P-6E Hawk. Never though to look at his products

That will do it for me

Denis
Old 12-11-2007, 01:45 PM
xjf6d9

Hi guys. Interesting to hear about your Staggerwings. I'm in the middle of putting one together myself and have a question; what servos do you use? I have doubts that the ones I've put in might be a little weak...
Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 PM
knucklebutt

What servos are you using ?????

I have receintly switched out all my Futaba servos for Hitec 645MG which will give you 133 0z-in torque when using a 6volt battery. Most all my aircraft are quarter scale and these seem to be a favorite. With the staggerwing which seems to come out in the 17 to 20 lb range I would use no less than a 90 oz-in torque

I also would certainly utilize a 6 volt batter instead of the 4.8 that some use

Denis
Old 12-11-2007, 02:14 PM
xjf6d9

I've put in digital standard servos from JR/Graupner called DS-8077. They deliver about 50oz of torque. Hitec 645 is also a favourite of mine. I have quite a few in various large models. The reason I put in the 8077 servos in the Staggerwing is the extremely smooth drive of these servos. Quite remarkable actually. I have only used them in smaller models so far though.

Anders
Old 12-16-2007, 12:46 AM
sassy8
My Feedback: (61)

I got my staggerwing a few months ago for a winter project, winter still hasn't arrived yet in Alabama, but I started it today!!! The Covering on the wings wasn't to bad, about a hour to tighten it all up. I'm going to put a Saito FA-170R up front with a Keleo exhaust ring exiting out the bottom. It is a perfct fit 6-1/8" firewall to drive washer, all enclosed. The 170R is delivering 8300rpm with a MAS 16/8 using 30% PowerMaster Heli fuel on the bench and slows down to 2000 at idle with the glow driver on (McDanial / SonicTronic). Radio will be Futaba 9CHPS / 149DP reciver and HiTech HS-475HB on the control surfaces. I plan on trying to adjust weight and balance with batteries (usable Stuff) even if I have to go overboard on the Mha and size. I hate adding lead if at all possiable.

Look forward to other post and going back through the archives on the construction of this great looking plane.

Happy Flying and Merry Christmas!!!!!

Jeff S.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:22 AM
xjf6d9

As for the servos in my Staggerwing I've decided to stick with the JR/Graupner DS-8077 on all control surfaces but the elevator which I will upgrade to something stronger before flying. Since this is a quite fast model I think the strain on the elevator servo can be particularly high. Top Flite recommends servos with at least 54 oz inch torque for all control surfaces, (I think they use Futaba 9001 servos which deliver just that). According to Graupner the DS-8077 delivers 36Ncm (approx 51oz inch) of torque and a holding power of 80Ncm (approx 113 oz inch) of holding power (at 4.8V). The maiden flight will not be until March or April anyway - we have winter here in Sweden now - so I will have plenty of time to replace the elevator servo. I thought about putting in a Saito FA-170 or a Laser 200 V-twin (beautiful British engine) but finally decided on a Saito FA-180 single, which I've just ordered from Chief Aircraft. I really think the FA-170 is perfect for this aircraft but I didn't want to spend that much money right now.

Looking forward to see some posts with images of flying Staggerwings in this thread.

Merry Christmas!

Anders
Old 12-16-2007, 11:18 AM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: sassy8

I got my staggerwing a few months ago for a winter project, winter still hasn't arrived yet in Alabama, but I started it today!!! The Covering on the wings wasn't to bad, about a hour to tighten it all up. I'm going to put a Saito FA-170R up front with a Keleo exhaust ring exiting out the bottom. It is a perfct fit 6-1/8" firewall to drive washer, all enclosed. The 170R is delivering 8300rpm with a MAS 16/8 using 30% PowerMaster Heli fuel on the bench and slows down to 2000 at idle with the glow driver on (McDanial / SonicTronic). Radio will be Futaba 9CHPS / 149DP reciver and HiTech HS-475HB on the control surfaces. I plan on trying to adjust weight and balance with batteries (usable Stuff) even if I have to go overboard on the Mha and size. I hate adding lead if at all possiable.

Look forward to other post and going back through the archives on the construction of this great looking plane.

Happy Flying and Merry Christmas!!!!!

Jeff S.
Jeff,

I went with exactly the setup you're planning: Saito 1.70 radial, Keleo exhaust and McDaniel/SonicTronics glow driver. Do yourself a favor and put both battery packs ahead of the firewall. I needed 26 ounces of lead to get mine to balance at first. My battery packs are both 2400 mAh sub-C's (5-cell for the Rx and 4-cell for the ignition). I moved both packs as far forward as possible and was able to reduce the amount of lead ballast to 10 ounces. My servos are Hitec 645MG for elevator, rudder and tailwheel retract. The rest are Hitec 425BB. Keep as much weight off the tail as you can. The engine is a great match for this air frame but you gotta watch every ounce. You can't beat the sound of that radial. Good luck with the build.

There's a link above to a short clip of mine landing.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:00 PM
COL J

Hello Dirtydingus,

I wonder if puting in a gyro would help squirreliness on the ground? Would have to build a small platform under the servo tray so it could be mounted on the CG. Although it sounds like thbird is pretty solid in the air and wouldn't need one necessarily for flying. Haven't had a chance to fly mine as yet due to weather. Snow, snow and more snow. Weather man has snow and sleet predicted here off and on every day until the first part of JAN. Oh well, it is winter. Time to put the skis on the trainer. My staggerwing is set up pretty close to GaGeeBees, (with his help) running the Saito FA170. Now I'm chasing dow air leaks. [img]
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.