Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Staggerwing

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite Staggerwing

Old 05-01-2009, 08:23 PM
F82FAN
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Staggerwing

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

Nice hotliner! I like the little fairings on the antenna exits. I'll never forget the hotliner demo at the very first SEFF. They clocked it at over 190 mph. The prop tips were louder than any IC engine. Very cool plane.

Regarding the Twin Staggerwing... I'm thinking the nacells from my DH-88 would look pretty close

On yet another topic... has anyone seen the new Cessna 195 that Aeroworks is introducing???

Hey Paul,
It's incredible how brilliant (???) minds think alike...
Flyright and I were sitting at dinner tonight discussing all things aviation when I mentioned the twin-SW conversion and that I thought the nacelles from the DH-88 would be WAY cool!
Whip up a set for us - I'll do the nose mod n send you the wings to put the nacelles on...
Shweet!!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:27 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Back to the Twin Staggerwing for a moment... What do you think for power if one were to modify a Top Flite SW? 1.20 four strokes? 1.50's? Prop clearance will be a limiting factor. Might have to go with 3-blades and lotsa pitch...
Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 PM
F82FAN

Nice hotliner! I like the little fairings on the antenna exits. I'll never forget the hotliner demo at the very first SEFF. They clocked it at over 190 mph. The prop tips were louder than any IC engine. Very cool plane.

Regarding the Twin Staggerwing... I'm thinking the nacells from my DH-88 would look pretty close

On yet another topic... has anyone seen the new Cessna 195 that Aeroworks is introducing???

Yes, the hotliner is WAY fun times - even for an electron burner. If you read through the thread, these wackos are putting more than 10-horse motor systems in them!
THey have to bungee launch them and they have carbon folding-props around 19"X17".
Talk about "hang on"....

On your other off-topic-topic... I know youhave been there and seen that, but I just have to throw this link in to make you crazy if you think you have a few hours to burn:

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...na+195&submit=

Its a long link, but worth it!
One of my favorite full-scale reference sites
Old 05-01-2009, 08:36 PM
F82FAN

Back to the Twin Staggerwing for a moment... What do you think for power if one were to modify a Top Flite SW? 1.20 four strokes? 1.50's? Prop clearance will be a limiting factor. Might have to go with 3-blades and lotsa pitch...
Might be the perfect e-conversion with a pair of 1.00 out-runners...???
Old 05-01-2009, 08:43 PM
GaGeeBees

ORIGINAL: F82FAN

Hey Paul,
Flyright and I were sitting at dinner tonight discussing all things aviation when I mentioned the twin-SW conversion and that I thought the nacelles from the DH-88 would be WAY cool!
Whip up a set for us - I'll do the nose mod n send you the wings to put the nacelles on...
Shweet!!!!
LOL Great minds think alike! Let me do some figuring and get back with you on this. I'm thinking if done right, all one would need is an extra set of bottom wings and the plane could be converted from single to twin AND BACK. The nose mod could just be a "cone" that replaces the standard cowl - with the single engine left in place (?) - and the twin engines could be totally self-contained on the wing halves. It'd be pretty cool to show up at a fly-in and fly it in both configurations. Oh boy... this could get interesting.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 PM
F82FAN

Hey Paul,
Shweet!!!!
LOL Great minds think alike! Let me do some figuring and get back with you on this. I'm thinking if done right, all one would need is an extra set of bottom wings and the plane could be converted from single to twin AND BACK. The nose mod could just be a "cone" that replaces the standard cowl - with the single engine left in place (?) - and the twin engines could be totally self-contained on the wing halves. It'd be pretty cool to show up at a fly-in and fly it in both configurations. Oh boy... this could get interesting.
I'd say KISS...
I already have the single, so both together would be awesome!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 PM
GaGeeBees

Yep, I agree. Keep it simple is best.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:25 PM
F82FAN

Yep, I agree. Keep it simple is best.
I am now in the process of shaming Flyright and Jetmex into a group project...
Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Flyright
My Feedback: (92)

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. Keep repeating...............Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. Keep repeating...............Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. Keep repeating...............Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. Keep repeating...............
Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. Keep repeating...............

Old 05-01-2009, 10:39 PM
F82FAN

ORIGINAL: Flyright

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. Keep repeating...............Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. Keep repeating...............Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. Keep repeating...............Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. Keep repeating...............
Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. Keep repeating...............

Shame and embarrassment are two vastly different things.
Shame comes from never accomplishing a Twin SW conversion.
Embarrassment is from NOT helping your modeling buddies...
I know you won't be embarrassed???
Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM
F82FAN

MAIDEN FLIGHT VIDEO SHOT BY ALF IS FINALLY POSTED ON YOUTUBE...

WILL POST LINK AS SOON AS IT FINISHES LOADING.

THANKS TO FLYRIGHT FOR HELPING HIS TECHNICALLY-CHALLENGED FRIEND!!!

Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1CZ6njm6GA

Enjoy!!!

Wally
Old 05-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Mechanos

The kit looks good... my only disappointment is that they made the kit a G17 instead of the D17. I like the lines of the D model a lot more.

The red color does look good, but it looks like every other Top Flite kit out there. Since I've never been a big fan of Monokote either, has anyone stripped the covering off straight out the box, repainted the fuse another color and recovered it using a different color scheme? Seeing yet another red Staggerwing is getting a little boring.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
knucklebutt

I certainly do agree with all youre statements: I got this Staggerwing because I just dont have enough lifetime to build all the planes I love. I would have much rather scratch built a G-17 using fabric covering and paint with the Yellow color scheme. But I can now have a very good looking Beech right now and go on to another build (1/4 scale Tiger Moth)

MonoKote: not to be snooty!! I absolutly hate it, plastic looking stuff. I have one other ARF (Curtis Hawk) I sprayed a flat coat over the plastic stuff. I actually sprayed a laquer based over the monoKote on the Staggerwing to give a more "Painted" appearance. I can Not !!! get all the wrinkles out, Trust me I have gone over this thing a dozen times!! Grrrr.

However to defend those who like arfs/monokote: Building is just not for everyone: monokote is quick/easy and gives a satisfactory finish;

My final point: this is a fun hobby, if fun to you is to stick a DA-50 on the beech so you can 3D thats what you need to do, and dont let anyone give you any crap!!

strip down and re-cover the Staggerwing, boy I certainly considered that, naa didn't do it, changed alot on it though, again nice thing in this hobby you can do as little or as much as is fun for you. I know blahh blah blah

Denis
Old 05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Mechanos

ORIGINAL: knucklebutt

...MonoKote: not to be snooty!! I absolutly hate it, plastic looking stuff. I have one other ARF (Curtis Hawk) I sprayed a flat coat over the plastic stuff. I actually sprayed a laquer based over the monoKote on the Staggerwing to give a more "Painted" appearance. I can Not !!! get all the wrinkles out, Trust me I have gone over this thing a dozen times!! Grrrr...

Denis
I know what you mean. It looks like poo, is very thick, no matter how many times you iron the wrinkles out, they come back. Personally, for a slick covering, I prefer Ultracote. IMO, it's superior in every way to Monokote. However, I think this bird would look best covered in Coverite fabric. Now, if there was just a way to get the texture of the fabric on the painted fiberglass fuse (for the portions of the fuse that were fabric covered).

I've been working off and on for several years on designing a 64" D-17 mainly because when I started the project, no one made a kit. This Top Flite kit would definately save a bunch of time, but I would have to settle for the G-17. I guess if I'm set on the D-17, I'll have to either continue my design project or modify the G kit.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My father had a Staggerwing when I was a child through HS and my brother has one now and neither one has ANY fabric "texture" on the fabric covering. The whole idea of finishing an airplane is to fill the weave. You couldn't even see the tapes on dad's. The gloss of Monocote is not like paint, but leaving a weave in a cloth-like covering is more unrealistic than Monocote.
I would like to mod a Top Flite G model to a D or an A. I'm still thinking it over. The A-17F would make it simpler as the gear would be fixed, and my brother has a big radial Saito for it. Good luck on your D plans. If you're modding a TF G ARF to a D, I'd be very interested in your progress.
Chris...
Old 05-06-2009, 06:00 PM
knucklebutt

Chris: You know : your absolutely correct concerning the fabric. I have owned several Fabric covered aircraft and as you said the point is to fill the weave. Funny though being the "Scale Fanatic" I usually cover my models with "Coverite" then paint, so as to show that its still fabric. Although this has a scale appearance, painted fabric on a real airrtaft is just as glossy as painted metal. Wish my dad would have had a Staggerwing, he only had an Ercoupe, Best I could do was a Stinson Voyager. But I'm certainly not complaining.

Denis
Old 05-06-2009, 06:36 PM
mobyal

I can teel you that there's not much weave showing on these! About the only way to tell is the fabric covers the stringers and ribs! LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23684.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1193457  
Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 PM
F82FAN

ORIGINAL: mobyal

I can teel you that there's not much weave showing on these! About the only way to tell is the fabric covers the stringers and ribs! LOL
Yeah, these over-restored pieces of poop are painted SO glossy they look just like.... MONOKOTE!!!
I would just HATE to have one messing up MY hangar - just like those aweful Reno Racers painted up like non-military crap. I'd push the thing outside and leave it till it got good n weathered like a REAL airplane ought to be.......

Just being an idjit with you guys - don't string me up!!!
A bit of facetious humor to dig at our outlooks!!!

Owner of TWO RED, MONOKOTE covered SW's....

Wally
Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 PM
knucklebutt

Wally: Appreciate your humor: Like I keep pushing: its a FUN hobby: ya just need to do what is fun for you: and as I say that: about two years ago I said I would NEVER own an ARF, as a scale builder I would never stoop that low!! well 2 ARF's later I have now "stooped" and am having "fun" with them (MonoKote) and all

the scale builder formerly known as !!
Denis
Old 05-06-2009, 11:21 PM
F82FAN

ORIGINAL: knucklebutt

Wally: Appreciate your humor: Like I keep pushing: its a FUN hobby: ya just need to do what is fun for you: and as I say that: about two years ago I said I would NEVER own an ARF, as a scale builder I would never stoop that low!! well 2 ARF's later I have now "stooped" and am having "fun" with them (MonoKote) and all

the scale builder formerly known as !!
Denis
Hi, my name is Wally and I have been a "user" for about 30-years. I just can't help it, cuz it gets me where I need to be quickly and comes in bright, shiny colors...
I turn my iron/heat gun up REALLY hot and the wrinkles go away... They come back, too, sometimes. I just re-shoot them with the gun. Most of the time the wrinkles are there when I go pick up the little pieces of balsa scattered over a large area... Why do the wrinkles outlast the airplanes???
Old 05-07-2009, 12:10 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys have the right attitude!
I am going to build a kit for competition, but just bought a 1/4 scale CAP 10 to get my neophyte feet wet in this r/c Scale thing. ARF's have their place, they get me flying fast as I have two old Pattern designs that are ARF's.
Dad has a 108-2 Station Wagon now, good solid airplane for 76 year old retired airline captain... He won't build another kit or scratch built model either, ARF's for him. He says he doesn't have the time left for long projects!
I want to do a yellow D, and the Bob Perlick flown 1937 Bendix A-17F racer. Are you guys onto any techniques for painting over Monocote?

Chris...
Old 05-07-2009, 04:52 AM
GaGeeBees

Painting tips for Monokote from Top Flite:

MonoKote Iron-On Covering
Buff the surface to be painted using Top Flite #000 steel wool, until all of the covering film's gloss is removed. The gloss may interfere with paint adhesion.
Clean the surface using rubbing alcohol. Use a MonoKote Tack Cloth to remove all lint and dust.
Apply a thin coat of primer. After 2-3 minutes, apply a second, heavier coat. When the primer has dried, you're ready to paint. Lightly sand only those areas with imperfections, such as seams and dust specs. Use Top Flite #400 grit sandpaper wet.
REMEMBER: LustreKote can be applied directly onto MonoKote covering, but for proper adhesion the covering must be applied tightly — otherwise you'll eventually have to fix wrinkles in the painted surface. Those wrinkles can be removed with a heat gun, but be very careful. Too much heat will blister the paint. Take your time, applying only a little heat gradually until the wrinkle disappears.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:54 AM
GaGeeBees

For those that don't like the looks of the Top Flite Staggerwing, I counted two Byron kits listed for sale in the RCU classifieds right now. You can paint 'em any color you want
Old 05-07-2009, 04:55 AM
GaGeeBees

MAIDEN FLIGHT VIDEO SHOT BY ALF IS FINALLY POSTED ON YOUTUBE...

WILL POST LINK AS SOON AS IT FINISHES LOADING.

THANKS TO FLYRIGHT FOR HELPING HIS TECHNICALLY-CHALLENGED FRIEND!!!

Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1CZ6njm6GA

Enjoy!!!

Wally
Thanks for posting the videos. Alf's camera work made me a little seasick but otherwise they were great fun! Nice flying too.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:11 AM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

For those that don't like the looks of the Top Flite Staggerwing, I counted two Byron kits listed for sale in the RCU classifieds right now. You can paint 'em any color you want
I have one of them their in primer coat waiting for some paint.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.