Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Any Such Thing as a BAD ARF!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Any Such Thing as a BAD ARF!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 03:13 AM
piroflip2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any Such Thing as a BAD ARF!!!!!

my worst ARTF was a Phoenix Models Sukhoi 31. 40 size
the build job was dreadful, the covering was like the crap stick-on stuff from the old ARTF days.
the instructions were a joke, they stressed three times the importance of a correct c of g but neglected to state where it should be!!
none of the hardware was remotely usable.
and to cap it all, the instructions also detailed how to fit the noseleg!! (of course there was none in the box).

the u/c detatched on the first (very soft) landing. it was fixed to a hardwood block but the block was attached to almost nothing.
utter, crappy rubbish the likes of which give all ARTFs a bad name.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:36 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Default RE: Go to your hobby shop!

ORIGINAL: tailskid-RCA

ARF's should NOT be mail ordered - but should be hand picked and inspected at your local hobby shop.

For those who do not have a LHS, it's pot-luck at its best when you mail order...

Jerry

I can't agree more. I wonder if some of these Online Hobby Shops purposely mail out the screw ups? That way UPS and or Federal Express can be blamed for the damages? I know the On-line Hobby shops are covered by Insurance, and they can get rid of the messed up planes without loosing a penny. I had Hobby Lobby send me 4 wings in the mail, due to I kept getting damaged wings. I also suspect that Hobby Lobby didn't loose a dime except for the Postage. It's a thought that popped in my mind, and I figure I'd post it.

Of all the ARF Planes I have built, World Models, CMP... what ever they call themselves today, stay away from them. Hanger 9, Great Planes, Sig and Goldberg are much better over all. Buy cheap get cheap.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 11-30-2006, 03:00 PM
The Toolman

Somebody at World Models P**s in your Post Toasties? I see you run them down every chance you get on here. I've built several different ones they make and have never had a problem with them.

As far as H-9 planes goes, they have some good and some bad, namely that weak backed thing they call a Twist.

Ronnie
Old 11-30-2006, 08:34 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

Somebody at World Models P**s in your Post Toasties? I see you run them down every chance you get on here. I've built several different ones they make and have never had a problem with them.

Ronnie

YET! I'm sure you could use the stock hardware and everything fit perfectly and everything measured up equally all the way around. I bet you didn't have a chipping paint problem, nor did you not need to fuel proof your CMP. I also bet you had a great construction manual with the correct CG? I also bet your Engine mount and Firewall marks were right on DC? I'm sure you could get max throws of your control surfaces without sanding, stripping or cutting anything down? I'm sure without any guides, you had absolutely no flutter problems with the stock push-rods? You see, I didn't have all these problems with my Hanger 9, Great Planes, Goldberg or SIG. I did with my CMP. ( Cheap Model Plane ) or should I say (Crappy Model Plane.)

As far as H-9 planes goes, they have some good and some bad, namely that weak backed thing they call a Twist.
Ronnie
There are good and bad in all makes, that's true... but I've read more Horror Stories about CMP than any other manufacture. I'm very suspicious about a make if: a) Model Aviation or Model Airplane News doesn't ever do a article or write up about it. b) There is no good review on-line about a manufacture. To me and some others, these are warning signs not to purchase anything from said manufacture.

So in my opinion, there are some bad ARF's out there. And we all have to research fully before we buy.

AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 PM
E-Mo
My Feedback: (12)

Pete i will have to disagree with you on the WM products
i have built several of their offerings and notta one major problem
most arf's have their issues...
Old 11-30-2006, 09:01 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Then I must have gotten two of the crappy ones from CMP. Can you blame me for not wanting anything to do with CMP? I mean, come on! Two in a row? Dog bite me once, shame on dog. Dog bite me twice...Shame on me for giving them a second chance. $ 500 I could have spent on a Hanger 9, Sig, Great Planes or Goldberg... and depending what plane I bought, a lot less hassles.

AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 11-30-2006, 09:07 PM
aircruiser

I think my scout was more pilot error then the planes fault, but it looks like something you'd buy at target.

The controller is like a Nikko or something and the plane looked as if the ruddervators were center, but it wouldn't stay straight unless you kept full right.

Adjustments barely helped and it's last flight was 4 months ago when it had the same problem and dove into a fence.

All I need is some rubber bands and packaging tape and she should be in the air again.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:54 PM
IAMKAOS

arfs are arfs. good or bad. i've never had a w.m. arf but i had many other ones. i recently bought a hobby people .40 suhkoi 29. on a special sale. it turns out it was modeltech arf. it must be a old one because the box looked as though it had been in a warehouse for years. right off the bat it had issues. the trailing stock on the right wing at the wing trailing edge center that support's the torque rod was very soft wood. so soft the covering was loose and the wood was warped up badly. this was going to have to be fixed. there was also dents and imperfections in the fuselage and covering,.. and the hardware was pure crap. it also had pre installed wick hinges on the aileron and elavators already glued in. you still have to install them on the wing and horz. stab. why they did this????... but only two hinges per elavator half. it should have it least 3 . should i return it?....a few years ago i would have but over the years i've had so many arfs they all seem to have issues even the better quality ones. .......buying arfs from a hobby shop so you can examine what your buying is logical.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:03 PM
E-Mo
My Feedback: (12)

CMP(china model products) is sold by www.raidentech.com
World models is distributed by www.airborne-models.com
just want to make shure you know which is which
Old 11-30-2006, 10:29 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: E-Mo

CMP(china model products) is sold by www.raidentech.com
World models is distributed by www.airborne-models.com
just want to make shure you know which is which

I've seen lots of CMP's and yes they are junk, along with the Raidentech outfit IMO.

But WM is a whole different deal when it comes to their planes. Top Notch IMO.

I buy my WM planes through aero-tech hobbies in Canton Ohio for less $$ than the airborne site prices, and usually only $8 in shipping to Mo.

Ronnie
Old 11-30-2006, 10:32 PM
ricomari

THE LEAD SLED: better known as CMP YAK54 140, OS 108FSR plus "three" (yes I typed three) pounds of lead in the nose. In defense of CMP I did upgrade the hardware provided to 4-40 and added a Klett tail wheel assembly to the plane. At 16 pounds the advertised 11.64 pound plane flew great at FULL speed straight and level, don't try and do a loop (snapped at the top every time) or land(speed is life for this plane).........Anyway, the pucker factor and heart stress test were free! )
Old 11-30-2006, 10:35 PM
ricomari

THE LEAD SLED: better known as CMP YAK54 140, OS 108FSR plus "three" (yes I typed three) pounds of lead in the nose. In defense of CMP I did upgrade the hardware provided to 4-40 and added a Klett tail wheel assembly to the plane. At 16 pounds the advertised 11.64 pound plane flew great at FULL speed straight and level, don't try and do a loop (snapped at the top every time) or land(speed is life for this plane).........Anyway, the pucker factor and heart stress test were free! )
Old 12-01-2006, 11:06 AM
gary9648
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do professional building and have large giant scale warbirds to fly. I also have a couple of ARFs to practice with for contests. The Top Flight War Birds are excellent quality. I have assembled five TF GS Mustangs, and they all came out of the box the same, and fly grreat. I even converted one to a C model Mustang with help for Great Planes. All had no damage. I am now assembling a GP Super Chipmunk for myself to have for a no retract bird to fly when I just want to go nock around the sky. The quality of it looks great at first openning.
I have had experience with the Hanger 9 models as well. I do not feel they are as good quality wise as the Top Flight , great Planes, but they fly very well indeed. The Hanger nine P-47 I am assembling right now is a good example. The mechanical retracts have been improved over the 1.50 size Mustang. However I had one of the servo mount rail just fall out while handling the fuse. Also one of the ailerons was to thick and did not match the wing airfoil, and the gap between the aileron and Flap is to large for my thinking( I may be to picky). This said, I have seen them fly and they do very well. My customer will enjoy it I'm sure.
Gary Webb
Old 01-01-2007, 11:44 AM
flyst

Someone here mentioned the "weak back Twist "from hanger9...duh...build it light and it's going to weak ...maybe it was the strong dumb thumbs,on not so perfect landings...I have assembled two of the Twist and have been quiet pleased with them ...but because they try to build it light means you have to fly it light..I am on my third twist now...It's not the planes fault...but then again what do ARF builders know?....Joe
Old 01-01-2007, 05:07 PM
nickj

Modern ARFs are dream machines compared to what we had back in the '80s (I almost said, "flew in the '80s," but some of them didn't). These were all foam and plastic. The Kyosho planes were the worst. Their warbirds were too heavy to fly. A hand launch from a full sprint wouldn't get them airborne. I had more success with a .40-sized cherokee (don't remember the mfgr), and a .60 sized Christen Eagle, but they were both several pounds heavier than an equvalent stickbuilt plane.