Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Any Such Thing as a BAD ARF!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 09:37 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Such Thing as a BAD ARF!!!!!

There's a reason ARF'S are cheap. There are bad ones and good ones.
Old 06-20-2002, 07:31 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Hangar 9 makes a GREAT Cub ARF. I've got it with a Saito 65, and it's GREAT. It balanced perfectly with that engine. It is overpowered though. I'd go with a Saito 50 if I were you. It would still be overpowered, at least it wouldnt tourque(SP) roll...

World Models also makes a great ARF. I don't think they make a Cub though. Sig makes a good Cub kit, and if it is anything like my Somethin Extra kit, it goes together so fast that it might as well be an ARF. My SE was my first kit, and it took me 4 days to build and cover.

I've heard that TT makes a good ARF, but you had a different experience(I read your other post). I'd send it back, and get replacement parts, or get the Hangar 9. EVERYTHING on mine fit perfectly, and went together well. When you look at it, it doesnt have the typical ARF look. The construction is almost like it was a kit that hadnt had the wings and tail attached.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:29 AM
Jay7318713

Iv had a lot of bad arfs the ribs where broken in most cases
Old 06-23-2002, 06:24 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

when buying an ARF always ask around and see what people think and if you can inspect it
Old 06-23-2002, 06:39 PM
Mark Turner
My Feedback: (29)

Like shortman said, ask around browse all the forum boards. Lots of great information on the web.

You will always find difference of opinions on different planes, but still some good info to hash in your buying decision.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:51 AM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

I have to agree about the World Models ARFS, but Sig, Hangar 9, and 21st Century also make a good one.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:13 AM
stang
My Feedback: (1)

Default Bad ARF's

I agree with those who think the Dave Patrick ARF's are good. I love mine and am almost afraid to work on it because I don't think my workmanship will be as good as the kit's. It's a great model.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:09 AM
Joe Hunt
My Feedback: (4)

Default Re: Any Such Thing as a BAD ARF!!!!!

Well... I've assembled a few... and one of the worst ones out of the box was the Kangke 1.20 size CAP 232. But, it is my personal favorite of all the 1/4 scale aerobatic planes. That is... once you do some mods and upgrades.

There are alot of levels of quality and as many levels of expectations. I think the flat out worst ARF I can remember assembling was from H9 (the old .60 size stick they had, the Super Stick, I think), and the two best ARFs I've assembled are also from H9 (the 33% CAP 232 and the T-Craft). So the manufacturer is not always a guaranty either way.

One consistent problem is weight... especially everything 1/4 scale and under. I think it ranks as the number one reason these ARFs don't fly well. From there... quality also comes into play, sure. But, almost all ARFs I've seen can be made to be good planes without too much trouble. That is other than the weight... that generally needs alot of attention.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:28 AM
GIFLYRC

Jaybird

Why not just paint over the the arf color scheme?

Roger
Old 09-24-2002, 04:16 PM
mahoo

My worst ARF was the H9 Advance 40. The tail feathers were held on with 2 tiny nuts. The fusalage had two lite ply piece that ran across to tighten the nuts down to. What a weak way to attach this very important piece of equipment. I flew it like this for a while and when I reved the engine on ground test the tail feathers just vibrated. 1st repair was to epoxy the tail feathers down, but the two lite ply pieces were not enough to glue to...so I removed this and installed my own lite ply to beef up around the tail feather joint. What else, the aileron servo was so far off center the arm would have hit the fuse side so more mods were required. The fuse turned out to be very weak aft of the wing, can anybody say "styrofoam" . I must say I had a lot of fun with this plane and learned most of my aerobatics with this one, but I would not recommend it to anybody. I currently have the H9 Aresti and it is a much better contructed plane.

Mitch
Old 09-25-2002, 06:54 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Go to your hobby shop!

ARF's should NOT be mail ordered - but should be hand picked and inspected at your local hobby shop.

For those who do not have a LHS, it's pot-luck at its best when you mail order...

Jerry
Old 09-26-2002, 11:57 AM
duke

Default Arfs

I've purchased 4 planes in my short career and they've been arfs. I've had great luck with them all.
Started with a Super Star 40. Beat the heck out of it and kept fixing and flying till I finally lost wing in air and it was history. My fault of course.
Second was Kyosho PT-19. Awesome plane. Built very light and excellent first low wing. Still have it. Had to rebuild nose once or twice.
Third was great planes AT-6. Built lot cheaper than Kyosho but nice overall. Tail feather could have been built stronger and canopy is very brittle but other than that good plane.
Fourth is another Kyosho. Corsair. Another awesome plane. Flown it twice. Course hobbico retracts suck but....that's another story.

Point is I've had nothing but good luck with Arfs. Glad they're around or I'd never been in this hobby.

Do though want to build a kit though.

duke

Old 12-22-2002, 02:26 AM
Rob4469

Default Arfs

Add the Creek Hobbies Edge to the bad list. THere is a reason they are only $199.99.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:18 PM
jbenko
My Feedback: (73)

Default Arfs

As someone else mentioned almost each manufacturer markets both good and bad ARF's. Here are a few I've had good luck with and one bad one!

Other good ARF's I've assembled;
GP 1/4 scale SpaceWalker
GP .40 size Extra 300S.
Hobbico Superstar 40, Superstar EP and Avistar
WM T-34 and SS.40

Lousy ARF's
Cermark Bobcat - very tail heavy, flimsy cowl, packed poorly and horrible tech support.

Jury is still out on;
VMar Edge 530

Jeffrey Benko
Palm Beach Skyhawks
AMA 82103
Old 01-06-2003, 04:41 PM
johnybravo

Default Arfs

With ARFs, like anything else, you get what you pay for. If it sounds too good to be true....... it probably is. Case in point, the VMAR 60 size Cap 232. Overweight, poor flight dynamics, lousy execution. Unless they have improved, avoid anything built by VMAR!!! ARFs I'd buy again in a heartbeat:

Greatplanes Extra 300S .40 ARF Best flying aerobat money can buy in this size range!
Greatplanes Giles 202 1/4 scale Landing gear a little weak but a good flyer and a genuine bargain.
World Models Sukhoi .30 Rugged and well built plus it flies great!
Anything built by Yellow Aircraft International!
Great Planes Patty Wagstaff 1/4 scale Extra 300. Haven't flown this one yet but I love the way it,s going together!
Old 01-07-2003, 12:07 AM
YarSmytheJr

Default Arfs

My experience...

Of all the planes I fly, my favorite is a Kyosho Cardinal 177 ARF. No longer made, it's a prefab foam core wing with OPS covering, and a polyethylene fuselage. On the plus side, the model company can build these units quickly and they're typically stronger. However, if you 'break' the wing or body, you have to replace it.

I also own a Hanger 9 Solo Series trainer. It went together pretty easily and flies well...but the wing covering came loose after only 5 flights. Eventually, I had to replace the bottom covering of the entire wing. It seems that 'covering' has always been the bulk of my problems when purchasing an ARF kit. Some kit builders go real cheap and use a tape like covering. Seriously look into a kit that offers a good covering.

Just stick with the names you know...Great Planes, Hanger 9, Hobbico, Kyosho, Hobby Lobby, etc. In my model room, I'd say 70% of mine are kits and the rest are ARFs.

Old 04-08-2003, 06:03 PM
choo choo

Default Pizzaz

HI fw71,
I couldn't resist telling my experience with the Hanger 9 Pizzaz. You are right it is the worst plane I have ever had. I put it together exactly by the instructions and added a OS 70 4stroke as the instructions said. The first flight it fluttered so bad it bent the pushrods to the Ailerons. So I added Sullivan rods, which stopped the bending but not the flutter. I could not fly over half throttle and sometimes even less without flutter. I eventually lost it because of the flutter. I sent the rods back to Hanger 9 and complained about the model, but guess what they ignored me. I have since bought other models from them and was very happy. The best thing I did with that model was to stomp what was left.

Happy Landing and flare
Choo Choo
Old 04-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Bill L

Default ANY SUCH THING AS A BAD ARF !!!!!!

Is everybody perfect? Mistakes are made. The guy who opens up the box at the mail box, and starts to assemble on the front porch, hasn't followed a basic rule. CHECK THE CONTENTS FOR MISSING OR BROKEN PARTS FIRST!
On the other hand, I've heard complaints about "too heavy" or "Under powered" in some ARFs, especially when they are lower priced than you might have expected. Then a bargain is not a bargain![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Cracker_01

I have had two ARFs 1) Thunder Tiger Trainer .40 size. Not enough glue and the firewall dropped out on first flight and the tail snapped on a rough landing but not rough enought hat it should have broken. It was easily fixed and is still flying but the covering in peeling and the plastic "cabin" is coming off.

Had a VMar chipmunk arf... .40 size , bought for me by my father in a clearance sale --maybe that should have been a hint. there was lots of dust in the box but I am inexperienced so didn't think much of it. I put it together and when I got all of the many wrinkles out of the covering it looked great. first flight and had a deadstick--landed and we thought all was well...got to it and saw a broken back. The model was CHEAP quality. Upon inspection noticed the wood inside had rotted away or been eaten by termites...there were pieced of wood in the fusethat had almost completely disintegrated!!!!

Now I am trying to build my next model--but will hate to have it crash after all this time and effort!
Old 05-11-2003, 02:45 PM
BigMac

My pick for great quality at an excellent price is Vectorflight. I have been flying several of their airplanes over the last 2 years and they have held up really well and fly better than most. Sure there are marginally better ones available but costing about twice as much. And did you know Vectorflight planes were made in USA till recently and now being made in Canada! Now thats something to cheer about. Great job!
Old 05-12-2003, 05:05 PM
sledman
My Feedback: (2)

I've got 50+ flights on my Sig four Star 60, and of the several "seasoned" RC pilots that have flown it, all have commended it on it's great flight characteristics, and how honest an airplane it is. And my Hobbico Avistar was good, but not great, and it flew quite well. BUT.......the Graupner Super Air that I had was an example of how ALL ARFS should be constructed. Perfect, really. No way I could build it, or cover it that well. Down to the finest detail. Just wish it hadn't gone to that big 'ole hanger in the sky.......
Old 10-16-2006, 09:26 PM
enricofermi
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Any Such Thing as a BAD ARF!!!!!

Regarding asking around to find a well constructed ARF, seems like Chief Aircraft has many sizes and types at some pretty good prices. I haven't seen a word about any of their ARFs. Specifically I am looking at their 1.4 size Giles 202 with nice green/white color scheme. Anyone have any info on this product?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:41 AM
imfly123

i love arfs! ive scratch built for years and now i just get arfs and recover/fix them if needed... fast and easy. price aint bad either..
Old 11-28-2006, 04:43 AM
Dav0012

theres only one plain and simple answer to that question.... and thats VMAR.
Worst built ARF's ever made.

just as evidence for that, i bought a pc-9 pilatus 40 size, and the undercarrage broke off on taxiing out to take off.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:43 PM
IAMKAOS

worst arfs i owned were the lower end sportsman aviation arfs. bad covering jobs on them .i bought them because they were inexpensive. i've been told their higher end arfs are much better. but my worst one (believe it or not) was the tower hobbies kaos .40. it was covered in towerkote and it was a really bad covering job. the covering started coming loose everywhere on it shortly after i started flying it. it was not the covering, but the poor way it was applied.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.