Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Awarf Plus Extra 300s

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hobbico Awarf Plus Extra 300s

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 01:30 AM
sgfromny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Awarf Plus Extra 300s

Just Finished putting this plane together.. Was wondering if anyone out there has this and can tell me what to expect flight wise from this plane.. does it have any bad characteristics?

Thanks for any info
Old 01-22-2002, 03:34 AM
stop_the_spam

Default Best damn airplane I've ever owned...

You have the best airplale I've ever owned... Just make sure the elevator throw isn't too much.. Keep reducing the throw until it stops snapping. I had about 300-400 flights on mine before I retired it because I basically wore it out.. I have two more waiting to be assembled. There are some things you should do though... Remove the landing gear plywood plate, and replace it with something thicker and re-inforce the firewall box.

Other than the firewall and landing gear re-inforcing, this is the toughest plane I've owned.. Beleive it or not, I was doing lots of very low inverted passes, and I put it into the ground full-bore inverted twice!! Both times the tail broke off, and the prop broke, but the repairs were easy and I was back flying it 30-40 minutes later.

It is a really great plane.. Can't say enough good things about it..

BTW, I powered mine with an OS .61 FX w/pitts.

Adrian
Old 01-22-2002, 02:32 PM
sgfromny

Thanks for that feedback! Im very excited to get this bird in the air. I'll take your advice on the elevator.. I was alittle concerned regarding the recommended throws on the elevator. The manual says only 1/4"! Is this about where you are on your plane?

Im running an OS .91 Surpass.. should get this plane off the groung i hope.

On the topic of an OS 91, can anyone recommend the right prop for that engine. Im going with a 13x8 but not really sure if thats the best for it.
Old 01-22-2002, 04:03 PM
stop_the_spam

Yup, 1/4" sounds right -- unless you make it nose heavy then you'll need more.

Adrian
Old 01-22-2002, 08:14 PM
TiGuy
My Feedback: (1)

Default Can't go wrong

You can't go wrong with this bird. It tracks beautifully, is VERY tough and is a great pattern type aerobatic plane. Snaps great too. Agree with reinforcing the landing gear block before it ever makes it to the field. I left the original ply in there and epoxied 3/8 ply blocks between the stringers above the stock LG plate. Tap for 1/4-20 nylon bolts and fly the snot out of it. I installed pull/pull rudder and CF pushrod elevator (single servo) just because of personal preference...all standard servos - 3003's.

With a Saito 91 running 30% nitro up front, it has all the power you would need for IMAC type maneuvers, vertical is virtually unlimited. I run an APC 13x9 on it and would think it would be great for the OS too. Great match for the plane.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:57 PM
PLANEIAC

Default Hobbico awarf 300

Does any one remember there all up weight? i am looking for a plane for a OS61 fx but i want to be able to hover it.

steve
Old 01-28-2002, 04:13 PM
stop_the_spam

You could hover mine with a FX .61... I'm not good at hovering, but there is plenty of power to hover it. I used a pitts muffler on my .61 FX.
Old 01-31-2002, 02:50 AM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

I have built three of them, a great flier with an Saito 80 w/ 13 X 8 prop.......Try a 14 X 7 or 14 X 8 prop......flew my first one for 3 years then recovered it.....Be sure to have two large BLACK Stripe on the underside....hard to tell the top from the bottom. The other ones were built for other people w/ .60 2 Stroke engines.....I like the 4 Stroke best.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:56 AM
JRC

Default lg fix

Here is how I reinforced the landing gear....
Cut slots in firewall and former for a ply plate running front to back - and epoxied it to the existing mounting plate as well as firewall and former. Should be able to withstand all the hard landings that
I can throw at it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2749_1362.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1645  
Old 02-11-2002, 04:05 PM
jbflier

There's a guy at our field with one of these. He stripped the original covering off, and replaced it with Mono-Cote, completely reinforced the inside, stuck a SuperTigre 91 on it, and Whoa!!!!, you should see that plane fly. Unbelievable....
Old 02-12-2002, 09:15 PM
stop_the_spam

Default Re: lg fix

Originally posted by JRC
Here is how I reinforced the landing gear....
Cut slots in firewall and former for a ply plate running front to back - and epoxied it to the existing mounting plate as well as firewall and former. Should be able to withstand all the hard landings that
I can throw at it.
You did a nice job... Mine is not so nice looking but very strong... I just cut out the landing gear plate completely and replaced it with 3/4" plywood that is glued and screwed into the firewall and former.. I also replaced the landing gear with a very stiff ridged one.. NOTHING will separate the landing gear from the plane except a nuclear explosion.

Adrian
Old 02-19-2002, 06:12 AM
JRC

Default linkage

Got the linkage hooked up today -
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3357_1362.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1646