Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Creek hobbies Staudacher Engine?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Creek hobbies Staudacher Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 03:22 AM
WW11PlanesR#1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creek hobbies Staudacher Engine?

I am wanting to get the staudacher 600 from creek hobbies. I have a saiti 180. Will I have any problems mounting this engine? Is there any better choices in engines for this plane?
Old 12-02-2002, 01:54 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

e-mail Jim at Creek and he will tell you. I don't think you'll have any problems with that motor other than maybe some cowl mods.

Mike
Old 12-02-2002, 02:24 AM
WW11PlanesR#1

Thanks Mike I will e-mail him and see what he has to say. I don't want to chop up the cowl.
Greg
Old 12-02-2002, 02:38 AM
chillerguy

I have a extra 330 from creek hobbies. I first put a zenoah g23 on it with the rudder servo in the tail and it balanced with just moving reciever battery around. the zenoah is suppost to weight 3.5 pounds with this engine in it the plane weighed 13 pounds 1 ounce. the zenoah was a very marginal engine so I put a first place engine 2.4. This engine is 3 pounds and now wish I would have put rudder servo in fuse with pull pull because I now have 3 ounces of lead in the nose. I can tell you that with the 2.4 swinging a zinger pro 20-10 it don,t roll out very far at all, maybe 10 feet and its flying. I am sure the saito will be fine, you will need to be carefull with servo placement or you will be tail heavy. I also didn't care much for the spring holding on the wings if yours has a 2 piece wing but after having someone at the field fly it I don't think they will come off. Hope this helps
Old 12-02-2002, 04:48 PM
MHawker

I also am wondering about the spring. It doesn't seem to be very tight. I'll do some checking for other options and opinions to see if I should change it.

The guy here who did the review on the Staud', also said his plane came out tail heavy. I am planning on putting a pull-pull on the rudder to bring some weight towards the front.

BTW, I am putting an OS 1.60FX in mine.

Mike
Old 12-02-2002, 09:08 PM
WW11PlanesR#1

Chiller guy, How does the first place engine fit in the cowl? The gas engine intrigues me. I haven't done that yet.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:11 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default FPE 2.4

I'm also quite interested in hearing how your bird does with the FPE 2.4. I have a Katana in the build queue onto which I'll be mounting my FPE 2.4. I'm still waiting for the ignition upgrade pieces to show up, though.

Got any pics of your install?
Old 12-03-2002, 04:48 AM
chillerguy

Default 2.4 in 330

The 2.4 is inverted and hangs out bottom of cowl. Alot of the cowl bottom was removed to clear cylinder head and muffler. Setting on the ground all you see is a little bit of muffler and all the 2 exhaust tubes and of coarse the cylinder. It really looks good as long as you don't mind seeing some of the engine, but the engine really has some nice machine work and that helps, don't know how it will look when the engine loses its luster. Don't have any pics at this time to post but I will try to get some. I am wondering about the ignition up grades I am new to gas and would like to know if stock ignition is any good. I also have a aluminum spinner and that also helps the looks. Don't know much about flying it I haven't flown it with the 2.4 ,the cotton pickin wind won't get below 15 mph so I can go flying unless I'm at work. thanks chillerguy
Old 12-03-2002, 11:16 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Default MDS 2.18

I have the staudacher also, I was going to go with the 1.60 fx, but everyone seems to need a lot of weight up front. What do you guys think of the MDS 2.18?
Old 12-03-2002, 11:47 PM
WW11PlanesR#1

Originally posted by MHawker
e-mail Jim at Creek and he will tell you. I don't think you'll have any problems with that motor other than maybe some cowl mods.

Mike
I sent an e-mail... no reply.
I would go with the 1.60 FX and use a pull pull on the rudder if you have to add nose weight so what. After reading the review on the staudacher It sounds like the 160 Is all the power you could want.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:28 AM
MHawker

Jim was having some computer issues. But the last couple of e-mails I sent albeit it was a while ago, were responded to pretty quick.

Good choice on the 1.60, but it's a shame to have that 1.80 and not be able to use it. It's a great engine from what I've heard.

Mike
Old 12-04-2002, 09:13 PM
WW11PlanesR#1

I have time on my side before deciding witch engine to go with. My Staudacher should arrive today and I still have a T-28 kit on the building board. I just want to get a good combination when I start on the Staudacher. your right about the 180 it is one sweet running powerful engine.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:27 AM
PilotFrog

I see no reason why you cannot use the Saito 1.80 in any of the 120 Creek planes. It is on par weight wise with the O S 1.60 and with 30% heli fuel it is very powerful..you should have unlimited vertical. I have a GP Giles 202 with an MDS 1.48, another flier has the same plane with an O S 1.60 and a third has...you guessed it....one with a Saito 1.80 and his has by far the best performance
....on 30% heli fuel.
PilotFrog
Old 12-05-2002, 01:52 AM
WW11PlanesR#1

Thanks PilotFrog you made my mind up. That was just what I needed to hear. The saito it is.
Greg
Old 12-05-2002, 02:01 PM
EkRr
My Feedback: (51)

Hi All

I wanted to post a small update to my review of the GS600 that I did for RCU this summer.

The plane has many flights on it and it is still awesome, but I did make a couple small changes. I had a hard landing that took out the landing gear block clean. It was an easy repair and I beefed it up a little. Never had a problem since.

Also, I relocated the servos to just in front of the wing tube. This brought the CG forward and allowed me to eliminate just about all the nose weight.

Just thought I would share this with you

Happy Flying!

Erick
Old 12-05-2002, 02:11 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Hey Erick, what covering did you use to fill in the holes left by the servos in the tail. I think I may do the same thing this winter. I have the Saito 180 in mine and it took a ton of weight to balance it. It still flies great though.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:17 PM
EkRr

I used Econocote. I had to order the color to match. It was not perfect, but it does the trick

Erick
Old 12-05-2002, 02:24 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Did you order it from an LHS or on line ? do you know the color number? Thanks
Old 12-05-2002, 02:36 PM
EkRr

My LHS. I am sorry I do not remember the color number. I will check to see if I still saved the info. I have the covering but not the sticker that said what it was. Try emailing Jim at Creek [email protected]
He should be able to get you the covering.

Erick
Old 10-31-2003, 04:18 PM
Johnny

Default RE: Creek hobbies Staudacher Engine?

Hi Eric

I recently acquired a GS600 partly built and am considering what engine to put in it. The guy who started building the plane had a MDS 218 in it as I hate glow motors. I wish to use[&:] a small gas engine. I was considering an RCS140 as this engine is quite light and would keep the wing loading to around 31 ounces or less. What do you think of this combination? I hear some people are using the RCS180 but I think it will be too heavy as I already got caught out using a RCS180 in an H9 Edge 540 which came out at about 14.5 pounds. The plane snaps very easy at this weight so hence my question about the RCS140.

Johnny
Old 10-31-2003, 04:24 PM
EkRr

Default RE: Creek hobbies Staudacher Engine?

The 140 would be a good choice. I built the plane with 3 servos in the tail and an OS160 and I needed 8oz in the front to balance it. The Moki 180 balanced it perfectly. So If you can find an engine close to the Moki in weight, then you should be fine. The 140 most likely will not hover the plane, but I do not think the 180 would either. ZDZ/RCS has a new 35cc engine coming out that would work. Also a Brison 2.4 would be a good match. Do not forget to pin the firewall!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks
Erick